Neil Peart Update: March 2014

Tony R

I was painfully shy/awkward for most of my life, but eventually realized that its critical to be social. Kicking people out the door because you haven't evolved yourself socially isn't proper. Nobody likes that.

I'm sure I'd feel offended too if I met Neil and he bolted because I couldn't keep the Rush fan inside of me.. But being a mature adult, I'd have to remind myself that that's the way he is, and I have no right to expect him to be any different.. Why can't people understand that?

• Like 1

Having millions of adoring fans would not in any way soften the agony of losing a child and my partner within a year of each other. Nor would having millions of dollars. Uhm - yeah, I guess I'd have the luxury of going to exotic, posh hotels to wither away in agony on Egyptian sheets?

As I get older, I have lost more and more people in my life as we all have.- I have never thought "damn, if only I was rich and famous my cousin's horrible, sudden death from cancer would be way easier"

Over the years since the passing of his ...entire family - I don't think I've ever read more horrible statements than some of the things that have been said about Neil Peart by his very own fans. It's embarrassing - ranting about how he should conduct his grief; how lucky he is to be rich and famous; how he should hug everyone; greet blathering fans with a warm smile and oh, please, just talk to us after the show and not run away so quickly.

Because ...we love you Neil. Don't you love us back you selfish prick?

Now he has found a format to be able to share his feelings and life experience with fans who choose to read his blog.

Still not enough.

I don't blame him for being a dick sometimes.

Very nicely put. I don't blame him either, but there he is up on stage giving us 200% for 3 hours like no other drummer can, let alone a senior citizen..

• Like 3

This thread is embarrassing. Not for Neil but for some of his "fans". My gosh, let the man have his life. I understand being a "die hard fan" (I'm one myself) but there is a limit where it borders on a mental health/obsession issue. The worst part is those of you who feel a sense of "entitlement" to the man's attention when you all rush him (pardon the pun) at shows and or in public in general. A few of you seriously need to get a grip. You know what I WOULD DO if I happened to meet/bump into him perhaps at a show or something? I'd look at him, smile, and CALMLY say "great job tonight man" (with a thumbs up) and then just keep on walking. Bet me......I would get a smile back and probably a respectful "thanks man". Treat someone like a human and they will treat YOU like a human. Edited by forcetenrushtribute
  • Like 5

But being a mature adult, I'd have to remind myself that that's the way he is, and I have no right to expect him to be any different.. Why can't people understand that?

It comes down to simple selfishness. Some fans are too blinded by their own desires that they don't see the obvious. Fans want to "own" their heroes in some fashion. They always have, and they always will. It's an inconvenient (and sometimes dangerous) truth for those in the limelight.

• Like 2

I'm quite the private, introverted person like Neil is and it's hard to share my life on a public forum, but feel I may have a worthwhile contribution to this topic. Or at least an experience that may be interesting to some.

It's taken me 3 days to actually read the blog (which was fascinating and educational as always) because I have been too excited with the pictures, looking at them over & over, saving them to every pc, laptop, ipad, etc, in the house. Why? Because in so many of the photos he is wearing the hat I knitted and gave to him.......a year and a half ago!! The same one that he gave me recognition for in his March blog of last year! I never dreamed that he would still have the hat, much less still be wearing it, a year later.

This speaks volumes for his character. You see, I am not the demonstrative type and words/expressions of love do not come easily for me. But I do try to SHOW people how much I care by doing things for them. Cooking, cleaning, helping out with various needs, and sewing and knitting unique objects which display their interests and personalities are things I do for my family and loved ones. Am sure most here can relate to that. As well as is the case that so often those closest to you will be negative and rebuke or even refuse these expressions of love. There have been numerous times that I've been hurt, having put much thought, time & money into knitting what I thought was the perfect item for a relative only to later find it in the corner of the closet gathering dust, or given to Goodwill, or as my Mother did, returned to me a dozen years later saying she had never worn it. Mentally, I know it's not true but it FEELS like they are rejecting me when they reject that part of me.

So coming from this perspective, it feels like Neil is one of the rare folks who seems to appreciate what I did and I interpret it as his way of acknowledging me and accepting my love. It's such a great feeling and I will always hold him in the highest esteem and close to my heart because of this!! (I also knitted 2 scarves, one for Geddy and for Alex and I'm hoping they or one of their family members found a time or two to wear it. If not, I love them still anyway, LOL) This is a very selfLESS act by Neil. And like MMCXII said above, every minute that Neil spends at his drumkit, or writing lyrics to a song, or a book, is a selfless act of love and appreciation he is giving to all the fans and a way of earning money to support his family. That definitely warrants my respect.

• Like 8

I'm quite the private, introverted person like Neil is and it's hard to share my life on a public forum, but feel I may have a worthwhile contribution to this topic. Or at least an experience that may be interesting to some.

It's taken me 3 days to actually read the blog (which was fascinating and educational as always) because I have been too excited with the pictures, looking at them over & over, saving them to every pc, laptop, ipad, etc, in the house. Why? Because in so many of the photos he is wearing the hat I knitted and gave to him.......a year and a half ago!! The same one that he gave me recognition for in his March blog of last year! I never dreamed that he would still have the hat, much less still be wearing it, a year later.

This speaks volumes for his character. You see, I am not the demonstrative type and words/expressions of love do not come easily for me. But I do try to SHOW people how much I care by doing things for them. Cooking, cleaning, helping out with various needs, and sewing and knitting unique objects which display their interests and personalities are things I do for my family and loved ones. Am sure most here can relate to that. As well as is the case that so often those closest to you will be negative and rebuke or even refuse these expressions of love. There have been numerous times that I've been hurt, having put much thought, time & money into knitting what I thought was the perfect item for a relative only to later find it in the corner of the closet gathering dust, or given to Goodwill, or as my Mother did, returned to me a dozen years later saying she had never worn it. Mentally, I know it's not true but it FEELS like they are rejecting me when they reject that part of me.

So coming from this perspective, it feels like Neil is one of the rare folks who seems to appreciate what I did and I interpret it as his way of acknowledging me and accepting my love. It's such a great feeling and I will always hold him in the highest esteem and close to my heart because of this!! (I also knitted 2 scarves, one for Geddy and for Alex and I'm hoping they or one of their family members found a time or two to wear it. If not, I love them still anyway, LOL) This is a very selfLESS act by Neil. And like MMCXII said above, every minute that Neil spends at his drumkit, or writing lyrics to a song, or a book, is a selfless act of love and appreciation he is giving to all the fans and a way of earning money to support his family. That definitely warrants my respect.

I wondered what happened to you because I remember when you came here and said that Neil was wearing the hat you made for him. In fact, when I looked at the pictures posted with his most recent entry, you came to mind again. I understand how you would be so affected by what Neil did. It was a very gracious and thoughtful gesture on his part. :rose:

• Like 2

Not this again. Okay, for those who are sensitive to contrarian views, please do not read the following rant:

:ranton: Still here? Okay, you asked for it. Now guys, you all know what happens when I force myself through one of Neil's blog entries. I end up feeling cheated and I become incredibly resentful, eventually going off at his expense. Now I just read a ton and a half of Greek drama and I really enjoyed that, so it's not like I don't enjoy reading. Meanwhile I'm incredibly happy for Neil's luck in having a new family. But unless he and his entourage ride into my house and put a gun to my head, I absolutely refuse to read any of his maddeningly naive, condescending, and dull-witted prose ever again. Lyrics? Great. Brilliant beyond belief. But please, in the name of Cygnus, save us all from Neil's clueless, classist musings. Sorry, but that is my view and it is not changing. :rantoff:

I respect that! Everyone should, I do like his writings and why should that matter to anyone when it does absolutely nothing to affect them? As stated in "Free Will", you can choose to do whatever you want, and even if you can't choose, that's still a choice! Tons of respect to you!

Edited by Pars123

Not this again. Okay, for those who are sensitive to contrarian views, please do not read the following rant:

:ranton: Still here? Okay, you asked for it. Now guys, you all know what happens when I force myself through one of Neil's blog entries. I end up feeling cheated and I become incredibly resentful, eventually going off at his expense. Now I just read a ton and a half of Greek drama and I really enjoyed that, so it's not like I don't enjoy reading. Meanwhile I'm incredibly happy for Neil's luck in having a new family. But unless he and his entourage ride into my house and put a gun to my head, I absolutely refuse to read any of his maddeningly naive, condescending, and dull-witted prose ever again. Lyrics? Great. Brilliant beyond belief. But please, in the name of Cygnus, save us all from Neil's clueless, classist musings. Sorry, but that is my view and it is not changing. :rantoff:

I respect that! Everyone should, I do like his writings and why should that matter to anyone when it does absolutely nothing to affect them? As stated in "Free Will", you can choose to do whatever you want, and even if you can't choose, that's still a choice! Tons of respect to you!

Respect from me too!

No need to rant, he writes for the people who want to read it. Truth is I don't always make it to the end of his blog entries because unless you're really into it, it's pretty dry reading. But you'll never see me come here whining for people to read it for me and tell me if there's Rush news. That's just silly!! lol

• Like 4

It's just ignorance to call shyness selfishness when it's anything but. People who are shy feel really awkward in social situations. It's something you don't just grow out of, no matter how much you're thrust into situations where you have to deal with people. Obviously Neil feels the need to share himself with us or he wouldn't be putting out the books.(And no I don't think it's only for money) It's a way for him to share with fans without being stressed about doing it directly. I would think dealing with obsessive fans would make someone more shy rather than the other way around. I wish he was more outgoing and would show up at more social functions and meet and greets, but he doesn't and that's all there is to it. We should respect his wishes. He doesn't owe us anything.

Yeah, he's sharing everything he believes with the incredible lyrics that he writes, and a lot of fans either don't know the lyrics or hate the lyrics. Hell, just read on this forum the hate and disdain for "Snakes and Arrows," which contain some of the greatest lyrics ever written. And, then he's been doing this personal blog, and a lot of people on here want to trash it. So, my question is:

Why should he meet random fans who talk about him like he's a piece of trash?

And this crap about $ is another thing. Unlike taxation, no one forced you to buy an album, go to a show, or tune your radio to the classic rock station. You did all those things because you valued Rush more than you valued your $. Any objective fan knows that you're getting quite the bargain at a Rush concert. Few, if any bands are going to play 3 hours, and lots of times, 2 or 3 bands don't play 3 hours total.

I believe that Neil would be more than willing to meet and converse with the rational, intellectual fans, who are willing to have stimulating conversation. I just don't think he wants to deal with the drunken riff-raff. Look at how many times they've had to ask people to stop following them after shows? WTF is up with that?

• Like 4

I can't help but wonder how many of ye who trashed the update actually read it. Did you read the last part, where tragedy struck again, death stealing a boyhood friend/family member? Did you read where part of the lyrics to "Afterimage" were written about him?

Neil shares all the time. The lyrics to the songs are heavy and deep, but the only words I read on here are boring and snob.

• Like 2

What I find, well...fascinating, for lack if a better term, is this: for a guy who talks about missing family while touring he sure does spend a lot of time away from them when he's not touring. I think it's sweet he let his wife & daughter come up to his winter home for a whole week.

It's their relationship and all that and I'm not really casting aspersions (perhaps I'm a wee bit envious) but I find that all a bit odd. I can't imagine leaving the family for over a month and saying, "see ya honey, you can come up to the cabin for a week if you want."

Weird.

What I find, well...fascinating, for lack if a better term, is this: for a guy who talks about missing family while touring he sure does spend a lot of time away from them when he's not touring. I think it's sweet he let his wife & daughter come up to his winter home for a whole week.

It's their relationship and all that and I'm not really casting aspersions (perhaps I'm a wee bit envious) but I find that all a bit odd. I can't imagine leaving the family for over a month and saying, "see ya honey, you can come up to the cabin for a week if you want."

Weird.

I left my family for 12 days a few months ago and it was terrible. Of course, different strokes....and this is my first time around and I'm much younger. But I found that odd, too.

Another day we all went tobogganing and sledding at a small abandoned ski hill nearby. In my former life it was a great family place on weekends, with a T-bar lift and a small chalet serving hot chocolate and fries with gravy. I have many happy memories of winter afternoons there with my lost Selena in the ’80s, when she was eight or ten. Riding up the T-bar, she was so small that when the crossbar fitted behind her butt, as it should, it had to be behind my knees.

All of that was long gone...

Almost made me cry. For such a private man, for him to write like this - out of the three, we know the most about him - isn't that ironic?

Not to me, shy people tend to let it out more when they're not face to face with someone. That's why we get so much writing from this guy..

I don't know that he really is that shy. And how many times has he said in interviews that his private life is private, and that the fans don't own him?

I just find it odd that he would tell us so much. Too bad he can't tolerate us, because I would love to talk to him. He is well read, obviously very intelligent, and I would love to hear why he thinks the way he thinks about many things.

Ya maybe social anxiety is a better description than simple shyness. Ever see him giving a speech or accepting an award? Sometimes he's hard to look at because he's so bloody uncomfortable! I know this feeling and I don't know how he manages to get through it! It's the same kind of anxiety trigger as meeting fans who shower him with praise.

He's said it himself. "Extroverts will never understand introverts" this couldn't be truer.

Also "I can't pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend". He's not just saying he has no time for fans.. He's saying He "CAN'T pretend.." Meaning he just doesn't know how..

It's not that he can't tolerate us, it's that he simply does not know how to tolerate they way we often act..

That said Lorraine, I bet Neil would love to chat with you if you could somehow think of him as an equal.

..Isn't that ironic? ;)

What u guys fail to realize is that "Can't pretend" sentiment was expressed over three decades ago, and so many things have changed. Its not shyness or introversion at this stage. Its a brazen form of selfishness cloaked as these things.

Wrong. He's said many, many times how painfully introverted he is. Your remark is a great example of the cultural bias against introversion.
  • Like 2

Another day we all went tobogganing and sledding at a small abandoned ski hill nearby. In my former life it was a great family place on weekends, with a T-bar lift and a small chalet serving hot chocolate and fries with gravy. I have many happy memories of winter afternoons there with my lost Selena in the ’80s, when she was eight or ten. Riding up the T-bar, she was so small that when the crossbar fitted behind her butt, as it should, it had to be behind my knees.

Almost made me cry. For such a private man, for him to write like this - out of the three, we know the most about him - isn't that ironic?

Not to me, shy people tend to let it out more when they're not face to face with someone. That's why we get so much writing from this guy..

I don't know that he really is that shy. And how many times has he said in interviews that his private life is private, and that the fans don't own him?

I just find it odd that he would tell us so much. Too bad he can't tolerate us, because I would love to talk to him. He is well read, obviously very intelligent, and I would love to hear why he thinks the way he thinks about many things.

Ya maybe social anxiety is a better description than simple shyness. Ever see him giving a speech or accepting an award? Sometimes he's hard to look at because he's so bloody uncomfortable! I know this feeling and I don't know how he manages to get through it! It's the same kind of anxiety trigger as meeting fans who shower him with praise.

He's said it himself. "Extroverts will never understand introverts" this couldn't be truer.

Also "I can't pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend". He's not just saying he has no time for fans.. He's saying He "CAN'T pretend.." Meaning he just doesn't know how..

It's not that he can't tolerate us, it's that he simply does not know how to tolerate they way we often act..

That said Lorraine, I bet Neil would love to chat with you if you could somehow think of him as an equal.

..Isn't that ironic? ;)

What u guys fail to realize is that "Can't pretend" sentiment was expressed over three decades ago, and so many things have changed. Its not shyness or introversion at this stage. Its a brazen form of selfishness cloaked as these things.

Wrong. He's said many, many times how painfully introverted he is. Your remark is a great example of the cultural bias against introversion.

If it makes you guys hate me less for the whole thing with his writing, I think I can defend Neil on some things. First of all, he most likely had no idea, back when he was younger and more ambitious, just what Rush would turn into. And when you think about it, being hailed by random people as someone with all the answers to life's questions because you wrote some songs has to have its downsides. Remember, the song, "Limelight" came out not too long after John Lennon's death raised questions about celebrity worship and the possibilities of that worst case scenario playing out. So, I can see that. As for what he's doing these days, his site still has a lot of kinks to work out. The second-to-last entry regarding how he wanted to be like Oprah and teach "Bubbas" how to appreciate cuisine and literature had to be one of the most WTF things I've ever seen him write. But maybe his current approach to reaching out is as weird as it is because he just doesn't quite have it together yet. If he is used to being introverted, then he's probably still grasping in the dark in regards to communicating with a mass audience. So yeah, he's made some awkward blunders and he's going to make a lot more. His communication skills are definitely not on the level of Oprah, but then Oprah made some huge mistakes too.

So, who knows what will finally work for him? Will Neil cross over and outside of Rush fandom? Will Olivia be really proud of her dad years later, or just kind of embarrassed? And just how old does a motorcyclist have to be before he realizes that maybe he should auction that thing off for charity before he crashes it? Tune in next time for another installment of, "What Was That Thing We Just Read?" :soap opera music:

Finally got to it. Nice one, as always. "Crackhead blue jays". :LOL: I know it, Neil! They're the squirrels of the bird world. Then the sadness at the end. Didn't get my usual smile at the end. :( An enjoyable read though, as usual. Thanks, Neil.:) And thanks, Tony.
  • Like 1

..Isn't that ironic? ;)

I can't believe this BS is still an issue. At this stage in his life he should be hugging the occasional fan for a photo. Life's too short and goes exponentially fast with age (imo).

• Like 1

Weird.

She has a career and the little one is in school. And if you read the article, you know why he goes back.

Weird.

She has a career and the little one is in school. And if you read the article, you know why he goes back.

Yeah, I know that. Even more reason to not leave them for an extended time I would say. Eh...I don't care.

It's a rockstar's world and we just live in it. I gather that he pretty much does what he wants when he wants and others have to simply accept it...I basically want that lifestyle.

To me, it's quite obvious that Neil very much enjoys being away from his current family much more than being with them; he nearly never talks about being with them, and when he does, he's quick to get on to some other subject such as how some plant grows or how he drank something at some cafe in 1989.

I vividly remember right after his daughter was born how quickly he wanted to get away to go off on another Mid-America hateride on his beamer-bike. His new daughter seemed like just another excuse to get away; hell, when he DOES have time at home, all he seems to romance about is getting AWAY from them.

He used to seem to hate touring and always voted against it since the 80's...now, it seems his greatest joy in life is getting away from his family and getting out on his momo-gogo between the horrendous times when he has to suffer through his miserable "job" with the other "Guys at Work" or whatever stupid term he refers to Geddy and Alex as nowadays...

...he sure as hell didn't spend any of that time learning "Red Sector A" or especially "Middletown Dreams" anywhere NEAR correct, that's for damn sure.

Edited by Spaghetti Lee
  • Like 1

To me, it's quite obvious that Neil very much enjoys being away from his current family much more than being with them; he nearly never talks about being with them, and when he does, he's quick to get on to some other subject such as how some plant grows or how he drank something at some cafe in 1989.

I vividly remember right after his daughter was born how quickly he wanted to get away to go off on another Mid-America hateride on his beamer-bike. His new daughter seemed like just another excuse to get away; hell, when he DOES have time at home, all he seems to romance about is getting AWAY from them.

He used to seem to hate touring and always voted against it since the 80's...now, it seems his greatest joy in life is getting away from his family and getting out on his momo-gogo between the horrendous times when he has to suffer through his miserable "job" with the other "Guys at Work" or whatever stupid term he refers to Geddy and Alex as nowadays...

...he sure as hell didn't spend any of that time learning "Red Sector A" or especially "Middletown Dreams" anywhere NEAR correct, that's for damn sure.

"mid America hate fest?"