Autism

GhostGirl

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Oct 5 2005, 01:40 PM)
I've just returned from a re-certification meeting for Stephen at school...which is basically the team that works with him telling me, "Yes, he still has autism. Yes, we're going to keep doing what we're doing."

However, this time, he has moved from "severe" to "average" as far as the clinical classification of autism (there are about 8 levels, ranging from severe to moderately severe to average to slight to high funtioning). Both his teacher and I filled out rating scales as part of this analysis, and we came up with the exact same score, which is great because it shows consistency in how Stephen relates at home and school.

It's great to step back and think about how far he has come from the quiet, withdrawn, socially isolated two year old I remember.

This is incredible news. He's on his way!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

QUOTE (paganoman @ Oct 5 2005, 09:37 PM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Oct 5 2005, 01:40 PM)
I've just returned from a re-certification meeting for Stephen at school...which is basically the team that works with him telling me, "Yes, he still has autism.  Yes, we're going to keep doing what we're doing."

However, this time, he has moved from "severe" to "average" as far as the clinical classification of autism (there are about 8 levels, ranging from severe to moderately severe to average to slight to high funtioning).  Both his teacher and I filled out rating scales as part of this analysis, and we came up with the exact same score, which is great because it shows consistency in how Stephen relates at home and school.

It's great to step back and think about how far he has come from the quiet, withdrawn, socially isolated two year old I remember.

This is incredible news. He's on his way!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Yes he is smile.gif heart.gif

Heartfelt thanks for the interest and support. smile.gif

Along these lines, I'm having half of my ELEVEN (yep, 11 of those suckers) "silver" fillings removed and replaced with porcelain on Tuesday. Two hours of dental surgery to start fixing a problem that should've never existed. Did I mention that "silver" fillings are roughly 50% mercury?

The ADA says that they're perfectly safe, of course. sarcasm.gif But I found it fascinating that dentists have to follow very strict guidelines for disposing of old amalgams. From the ADA website:

"Organizations such as the ADA, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the U.S. Public Health Service and the World Health Organization support the use of dental amalgam to fill cavities. The ADA goes further in recommending that dentists capture and recycle amalgam to minimize the impact to the environment." http://www.ada.org/public/media/releases/0308_release03.asp

They support it being put in your MOUTH, but by golly, be careful when you dispose of it! They want to minimize the impact to the environment! laugh.gif

"Protecting the public's health through responsible handling and disposal of dental waste is a natural extension of dentists' top priority-to provide the best possible oral health care to patients," Dr. Bramson [D.D.S., ADA executive director] concludes. (source same link as above)

EDIT: to add that my wonderful metal/silver/mercury fillings have expanded and contracted with heat/cold for 20 years or more, and most of my molars have started to crack, which is what started this whole thing.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Oct 6 2005, 03:27 PM)
The ADA says that ("silver" fillings are) perfectly safe, of course. sarcasm.gif But I found it fascinating that dentists have to follow very strict guidelines for disposing of old amalgams...

They support it being put in your MOUTH, but by golly, be careful when you dispose of it! They want to minimize the impact to the environment! laugh.gif

Their logic, such as it is, is mind-boggling. wacko.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/RushBabe/Stephen/PICT0026_touched.jpg

Recent pic of Stephen and me...my nerdy glasses glare graciously removed by Mr. B. Rebel. smile.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Oct 10 2005, 02:59 PM)

Recent pic of Stephen and me...my nerdy glasses glare graciously removed by Mr. B. Rebel. smile.gif

Beautiful, belle. Absolutely beautiful! smile.gif

heart.gif Thanks, Stace. I love that he's smiling so much there. I don't get many of those captured on film. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Oct 10 2005, 03:13 PM)
heart.gif Thanks, Stace. I love that he's smiling so much there. I don't get many of those captured on film. biggrin.gif

Knowing what you've been through for him, seeing that picture made me teary. Not in a sad way. In a very happy and hopeful way.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Oct 10 2005, 03:16 PM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Oct 10 2005, 03:13 PM)
heart.gif Thanks, Stace.  I love that he's smiling so much there.  I don't get many of those captured on film. biggrin.gif

Knowing what you've been through for him, seeing that picture made me teary. Not in a sad way. In a very happy and hopeful way.

Thank you. I know exactly what you mean. It IS hopeful...we had kind of a rough weekend, and seeing that pic after Barn sent it back to me made me feel just the way you describe. And Stephen's the one going through so much, bless 'im. It's hard to not be able to tell me everything he needs to tell me. wub.gif

My cousin's son is autistic (the one in Ontario). I was over there when he was born in 1993, and this year is the first time I've seen him since he was born.

He is an intelligent lad, and to all intents and purposes, very 'normal'.

My cousin was saying that there are a lot of people in the South Ontario area with autistic children. There must be a reason for this. confused13.gif Anyone else from this area with autistic children, or who know of any? Anyone with offers of reasons for this regional disparity?

PS, I'll post a piccy or two of him, but I can't until I get home later today. biggrin.gif

Edited by rickyrob

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Oct 10 2005, 03:59 PM)

that is a great picture of you two!! heart.gif

QUOTE (rickyrob @ Oct 11 2005, 03:20 AM)
My cousin's son is autistic (the one in Ontario). I was over there when he was born in 1993, and this year is the first time I've seen him since he was born.

My cousin was saying that there are a lot of people in the South Ontario area with autistic children. There must be a reason for this. confused13.gif Anyone else from this area with autistic children, or who know of any? Anyone with offers of reasons for this regional disparity?

PS, I'll post a piccy or two of him, but I can't until I get home later today. biggrin.gif

Sounds like your cousin's son has HFA (high functioning autism) or Asperger's Syndrome, both on the autism spectrum.

As far as the regional disparity, I'd be curious to know more about the area. Is there much industry in southern Ontario? If so, what kinds? Also, I wonder if the vaccination rates are higher there than in other parts of the province.

QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Oct 11 2005, 07:51 AM)
that is a great picture of you two!! heart.gif

Thanks, ladi. smile.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Oct 11 2005, 02:27 PM)

Sounds like your cousin's son has HFA (high functioning autism) or Asperger's Syndrome, both on the autism spectrum.

As far as the regional disparity, I'd be curious to know more about the area. Is there much industry in southern Ontario? If so, what kinds? Also, I wonder if the vaccination rates are higher there than in other parts of the province.

I don't know much about the area, as I've only been three times.

Luke's 'problem' is that he finds it difficult to meet new people, has a problem with things being in the wrong place, when he explains things he goes into huge detail, and sort of communicates through animals - what he likes is for his pet guinea pig to pretend he's talking (his mum does it - LOL). Very very hard work, I don't know how Suzy manages with him. But he is a great lad and I'm sure he'll be ok in the long term. smile.gif

QUOTE (rickyrob @ Oct 11 2005, 09:05 AM)

Luke's 'problem' is that he finds it difficult to meet new people, has a problem with things being in the wrong place, when he explains things he goes into huge detail, and sort of communicates through animals - what he likes is for his pet guinea pig to pretend he's talking (his mum does it - LOL). Very very hard work, I don't know how Suzy manages with him. But he is a great lad and I'm sure he'll be ok in the long term. smile.gif

That sounds like classic Asperger's. Very intelligent people who would, for lack of a "diagnosis," just be considered a bit odd or eccentric. Many people with Asperger's gravitate toward computer or science-related fields.

And I'm sure his mom is a very strong lady. smile.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Oct 11 2005, 08:20 AM)
QUOTE (rickyrob @ Oct 11 2005, 09:05 AM)

That sounds like classic Asperger's. Very intelligent people who would, for lack of a "diagnosis," just be considered a bit odd or eccentric. Many people with Asperger's gravitate toward computer or science-related fields.

And I'm sure his mom is a very strong lady. smile.gif

My eldest who has Aspergers was born in Southern Ontario.

Maybe there is a connection?

Huge industry there. Factories all over the place.

Luke sounds alot like my son.

QUOTE (dweezil @ Oct 11 2005, 10:03 AM)
My eldest who has Aspergers was born in Southern Ontario.

Maybe there is a connection?
Huge industry there. Factories all over the place.

Luke sounds alot like my son.

I don't have anything specific yet about southern Ontario, but here's some information about how mercury gets into the environment.

Mercury enters our lives more frequently than we may imagine. It may be in the fluorescent lights in our office, in old cans of latex paint, in our batteries, in our dental fillings, and numerous other sources. Within the United States alone, manufacturers use 500 - 600 metric tons of mercury annually as part of their manufacturing processes or to create products that rely on mercury's diverse properties.

A naturally-occurring, inorganic element, mercury's value in numerous industrial processes was discovered centuries ago. In very small quantities, it conducts electricity, measures temperature and pressure, acts as a biocide, and functions a catalyst. Over time, however, we have discovered that mercury is a potent neurotoxin, capable of impairing neurological development in fetuses and young children and damaging the central nervous system of adults. Mercury does not degrade and is not destroyed by combustion. When released to the environment, even in small quantities, it bioaccumulates, reaching dangerous levels in fish at the top of the aquatic food chain. Fish consumption advisories throughout Great Lakes waterbodies are testament to the health risks caused by mercury present in the Great Lakes ecosystem. Thirty-seven states have issued fish consumption advisories due to mercury contamination.

Scientists believe that atmospheric deposition contributes a large portion of the mercury found in the lakes and soil. Mercury emitted into the air by combustion, incineration, or manufacturing processes may later be deposited in lakes. Mercury emissions also come from natural sources including marine and aquatic environments, as well as volcanic and geothermal activity. However, recent studies suggest that anthropogenic sources contribute the majority of mercury releases.

Source:Background Information on Mercury Sources and Regulations - From the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency

I'll do some research into the southern Ontario area, but like dweez said, there is a lot of industry there, and if you read the full article above, you'll see that industrial sources of mercury are widespread.

"Using emissions factors to estimate mercury releases, preliminary analysis indicates that, in the United States, anthropogenic sources emit 263 tons of mercury annually to the atmosphere. Of this total, combustion point sources, which include utility, commercial, industrial and other boilers, as well as municipal waste combustors and other incinerators, account for 85% of anthropogenic mercury emissions. Four specific combustion source categories account for the majority of anthropogenic emissions: municipal and medical waste incineration (25% each); utility boilers (21%); and commercial/industrial boilers (12%). In addition, manufacturing sources, which include chlor-alkali production, smelting, secondary mercury production, equipment manufacture, and other processes, account for 12% of total anthropogenic mercury emissions. "

Four specific combustion source categories account for the majority of anthropogenic emissions: municipal and medical waste incineration (25% each); utility boilers (21%); and commercial/industrial boilers (12%). In addition, manufacturing sources, which include chlor-alkali production, smelting, secondary mercury production, equipment manufacture, and other processes, account for 12% of total anthropogenic mercury emissions. "

Hamilton is called "Steel Town". Why? All the steel production etc is there. It f***ing stinks too. I hated driving by there. All the clouds of exhaust from all the manufacturing plants there. It was ugly and stinky.

Scattered throughtout Southern Ont is loads of manufacturing plants. Chemical ones ( I lived not far from the Mentholatum factory), Helicopter ones, GM, paper products, etc. Just too many to name.

Mississauga (right in Toronto's ass) has huge plants as well.

I'm wondering now about the Sudbury area. They have the nickle mines and stuff there.

QUOTE (dweezil @ Oct 11 2005, 10:28 AM)
Four specific combustion source categories account for the majority of anthropogenic emissions: municipal and medical waste incineration (25% each); utility boilers (21%); and commercial/industrial boilers (12%). In addition, manufacturing sources, which include chlor-alkali production, smelting, secondary mercury production, equipment manufacture, and other processes, account for 12% of total anthropogenic mercury emissions. "

Hamilton is called "Steel Town". Why? All the steel production etc is there. It f***ing stinks too. I hated driving by there. All the clouds of exhaust from all the manufacturing plants there. It was ugly and stinky.

Scattered throughtout Southern Ont is loads of manufacturing plants. Chemical ones ( I lived not far from the Mentholatum factory), Helicopter ones, GM, paper products, etc. Just too many to name.

Mississauga (right in Toronto's ass) has huge plants as well.

I'm wondering now about the Sudbury area. They have the nickle mines and stuff there.

Birmingham used to be called "The Steel City." Lots of nasty, belching exhaust pipes here, too.

mad.gif

Here's Luke with my Cousin, and another with my Cousin and Auntie smile.gif

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/rickyrob/Canada016-small.jpghttp://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/rickyrob/Canada017-small.jpg

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Oct 10 2005, 02:59 PM)

Best wishes to you, GhostGirl, and of course to Stephen, as well as to all your family and friends and the physicians working to treat Stephen's condition.

I just read through the thread from start to finish. I wonder, did you ever get the test results from the hair samples you submitted? There's a reason I'm asking, but I prefer not to say anymore at this time.

Thanks so much for sharing all of this. I feel privileged to have been included.

Edited by physics23

We got Stephen's current hair tested, but weren't able to do the baby hair. His current sample contained very little mercury, which ironically means he probably has a great deal in his system, which is not being excreted in his hair, as it should be and is by most "typical" children.

The urine test is still pending, due to some logistical problems. We're trying again this weekend.

I just got my own toxic metals analysis results, and my mercury and lead levels were high. So high, in fact, that my doctor was quite alarmed. So it seems Stephen, with his genetic inability to excrete toxic substances, got a big headstart on his toxicity while in the womb. sad.gif

In that case what I was going to say won't be of any help.

You may have read about this incident at Yahoo! Finance today:

Parent Group and 11-Year-Old Child Escorted From American Academy of Pediatrics Convention

Tuesday October 11, 11:18 am ET

"We have the freedom of speech, but not the freedom to be heard," says one parent after being thrown out of conference in DC

WASHINGTON, Oct. 11 /PRNewswire/ -- On Saturday morning, six parents and an 11-year-old child were removed from the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) Convention. They were escorted by security officers after being told by coordinators that they were not welcome. The parents, two of which are medical professionals, were pre-registered to work at a booth and hand out materials to pediatricians about autism. Two camera crews were also escorted out prior to the ouster of the parent group so that the AAP's actions could not be recorded by the media.

Full article
Edited by physics23