Autism

GhostGirl

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jan 5 2006, 11:19 PM)
The hits just keep on comin', folks. smile.gif I can print this thread out as a way to measure Stephen's journey out of autism.

So, today, he had a post-surgery followup appointment. We waited for an hour and half to see the surgeon for all of 2 minutes. Anyway, while we were waiting, and waiting, and waiting, we were singing and playing...and I was counting with him. At school he's been working on recognizing numbers up to five. So, I was holding up fingers and counting...we got to five, and he said, "Figh." I said, "Yes! Five!" Then he smiled and said..."sihh," so I said, "Six!" Stephen: "seh-en." "Seven!" "Ehhht, nint, tent." This from a child who wouldn't even consistently respond to his own name a year ago.

As I just told a very dear friend--- tonight, my cup runneth over. wub.gif

Thats AWSUME!! 1022.gif

I can print this thread out as a way to measure Stephen's journey out of autism.

**Also Years from now u can show HIM how his journey came along wink.gif

Keep up the GREAT work & Persistence, Ur Strength Is DEFINITELY working for the both of you

rose.gif heart.gif http://www.gettysburgflag.com/images/autism_ribbon4.jpg

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jan 5 2006, 10:24 PM)
Bridges that were once blocked are now opening up. Because of how you've handled all this, why am I not surprised?  biggrin.gif

Just doing my job. smile.gif

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Jan 5 2006, 10:27 PM)
OMG GG!!!!  That is unbelievable!!!!    new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif  trink39.gif

Yes, it is! trink39.gif bncegrn.gif

QUOTE (DonnaWanna @ Jan 5 2006, 10:34 PM)
Thats AWSUME!!  1022.gif

I can print this thread out as a way to measure Stephen's journey out of autism.

**Also Years from now u can show HIM how his journey came along  wink.gif

Keep up the GREAT work & Persistence, Ur Strength Is DEFINITELY  working  for the both of you

rose.gif  heart.gif http://www.gettysburgflag.com/images/autism_ribbon4.jpg

wub.gif Thank you, sis. smile.gif

HOW AWESOME IS THIS????

GREAT WORK mOM...AND STEPHEN

(cap locks again....)whoops

http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/sg/sparkling%20heart.gif

QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Jan 6 2006, 08:55 AM)
HOW AWESOME IS THIS????
GREAT WORK mOM...AND STEPHEN

(cap locks again....)whoops
http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/sg/sparkling%20heart.gif

Thanks, ladi, and everyone!

Ladi, you brought out the sparkle-heart. Gotta love that. smile.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jan 5 2006, 10:19 PM)
The hits just keep on comin', folks. smile.gif I can print this thread out as a way to measure Stephen's journey out of autism.

So, today, he had a post-surgery followup appointment. We waited for an hour and half to see the surgeon for all of 2 minutes. Anyway, while we were waiting, and waiting, and waiting, we were singing and playing...and I was counting with him. At school he's been working on recognizing numbers up to five. So, I was holding up fingers and counting...we got to five, and he said, "Figh." I said, "Yes! Five!" Then he smiled and said..."sihh," so I said, "Six!" Stephen: "seh-en." "Seven!" "Ehhht, nint, tent." This from a child who wouldn't even consistently respond to his own name a year ago.

As I just told a very dear friend--- tonight, my cup runneth over. wub.gif

biggrin.gif Oh GG, I'm so happy to hear all of this!

Like I said before, "this is just the beginning for Stephen" yes.gif 653.gif

heart.gif rose.gif

oops....and this for you>> cosmo.gif smile.gif

Ahhh...nothing like an evening packed with autism-dealings to bring me crashing back to earth. I'm trying to look at tonight as simply what needed to happen to make sure my feet are firmly planted on terra firma.

We ate dinner out, and Stephen did well...ate his meal then played quietly with some trains in the windowsill (we always try to get a window seat if possible). But the couple at the next table were annoyed and did a lot of eye-rolling. I asked if he was bothering them with his playing, and they said, "Not really..." Okay then.

Off to the bookstore, in search of a Dora stuffed doll and a Swiper the Fox...and we found both! Then the spoiled brat in the kid's section kept saying, really loudly, "That boy is playing with GIRL TOYS! Mom! Look! Why's he talk so funny? What's WRONG with him?" And the mom's stage whisper, "Don't LOOK at him! He's got mental problems!" I march over and say, "He has autism." She looks like this: unsure.gif Perfect.

On to the checkout, but on the way, Stephen picks up a Big Bird stuffed animal to go with Dora and Swiper...no way, says I. I tell the lady at the cash register to just quietly put Big Bird under the counter, and she promptly puts it just out of his reach but in plain sight on the counter. Lovely! Stephen proceeds to lay on the floor and cry. We finally make it out with our purchases, and as soon as we hit the parking lot, he's fine. I, on the other hand, am a wreck.

So, reality bites, but things are still looking up overall. The trend is upward, and I'm trying to remember that. Sometimes I just have to let go and be sad, just a little...pull out old pictures of the boys from the B.A. period (before autism) and reminisce about how I thought they'd play together so well, being just 2 years and 4 days apart... Sometimes life doesn't serve up what you order, though, does it?

Well, there. I think that's out of my system now. Thanks. heart.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jan 6 2006, 11:48 PM)
Ahhh...nothing like an evening packed with autism-dealings to bring me crashing back to earth. I'm trying to look at tonight as simply what needed to happen to make sure my feet are firmly planted on terra firma.

We ate dinner out, and Stephen did well...ate his meal then played quietly with some trains in the windowsill (we always try to get a window seat if possible). But the couple at the next table were annoyed and did a lot of eye-rolling. I asked if he was bothering them with his playing, and they said, "Not really..." Okay then.

Off to the bookstore, in search of a Dora stuffed doll and a Swiper the Fox...and we found both! Then the spoiled brat in the kid's section kept saying, really loudly, "That boy is playing with GIRL TOYS! Mom! Look! Why's he talk so funny? What's WRONG with him?" And the mom's stage whisper, "Don't LOOK at him! He's got mental problems!" I march over and say, "He has autism." She looks like this: unsure.gif Perfect.

On to the checkout, but on the way, Stephen picks up a Big Bird stuffed animal to go with Dora and Swiper...no way, says I. I tell the lady at the cash register to just quietly put Big Bird under the counter, and she promptly puts it just out of his reach but in plain sight on the counter. Lovely! Stephen proceeds to lay on the floor and cry. We finally make it out with our purchases, and as soon as we hit the parking lot, he's fine. I, on the other hand, am a wreck.

So, reality bites, but things are still looking up overall. The trend is upward, and I'm trying to remember that. Sometimes I just have to let go and be sad, just a little...pull out old pictures of the boys from the B.A. period (before autism) and reminisce about how I thought they'd play together so well, being just 2 years and 4 days apart... Sometimes life doesn't serve up what you order, though, does it?

Hey not for nuthin but..

that would and can happen to ANY child..Minus the brat that was yellin about how Stephen spoke.

But any child woulda had a cryin fit over bigbird and ANY child would be content playin in the window..with or without his autism GG

Ull always bump into others that will "roll" there eyes cuz ur child is playin in their "space" With or without his autism

like u said soon as u got in the parkin lot he was fine.I know LOts of kids that woulda carried on bout it till they got home

so relax a lil bit GG

hes actin his age wink.gif

Thanks, Donna. heart.gif I guess some of that stuff does relate to any child, but it IS obvious to people who are watching that something is up with Stephen, simply because he shows so many of the "classic" autistic behaviors. So, even when he's being good, he's vocalizing and flapping his little hands, etc. The looks we get sometimes are just ridiculous.

But your point is well-taken about other kids having a fit over something they want in the store. Thanks for reminding me of that. smile.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jan 7 2006, 12:01 AM)
Thanks, Donna. heart.gif I guess some of that stuff does relate to any child, but it IS obvious to people who are watching that something is up with Stephen, simply because he shows so many of the "classic" autistic behaviors. So, even when he's being good, he's vocalizing and flapping his little hands, etc. The looks we get sometimes are just ridiculous.

But your point is well-taken about other kids having a fit over something they want in the store. Thanks for reminding me of that. smile.gif

NP Sis

Hell i get those looks too cuz im overweight

theres alwayz people out there that just cant comprehend

everyone is differant in there own way and

starin or rude lil remarks or looks are just that ..RUDE and are really uncalled for & can & DO hurt even if they THINK u dont notice dazed025.gif

Ur boy is doin GREAT and movin so fast ahead of what those DRs expect of him

Brush off those stupiid asses and think how well hes doin wink.gif

heart.gif

QUOTE (DonnaWanna @ Jan 6 2006, 11:08 PM)
Thanks, Donna. heart.gif  I guess some of that stuff does relate to any child, but it IS obvious to people who are watching that something is up with Stephen, simply because he shows so many of the "classic" autistic behaviors.  So, even when he's being good, he's vocalizing and flapping his little hands, etc.  The looks we get sometimes are just ridiculous.

But your point is well-taken about other kids having a fit over something they want in the store.  Thanks for reminding me of that. smile.gif

NP Sis

starin or rude lil remarks or looks are just that ..RUDE and are really uncalled for & can & DO hurt even if they THINK u dont notice dazed025.gif

heart.gif

You're so right about brushing off rude and ignorant people. Having Stephen has changed my whole perspective on judging how other peoples' children act in public. I used to do some eye-rolling, I'll admit. But I don't do that any longer, because you just don't know what someone's going through till you live it.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jan 7 2006, 12:18 AM)
Thanks, Donna. heart.gif  I guess some of that stuff does relate to any child, but it IS obvious to people who are watching that something is up with Stephen, simply because he shows so many of the "classic" autistic behaviors.  So, even when he's being good, he's vocalizing and flapping his little hands, etc.  The looks we get sometimes are just ridiculous.

But your point is well-taken about other kids having a fit over something they want in the store.  Thanks for reminding me of that. smile.gif

NP Sis

heart.gif

You're so right about brushing off rude and ignorant people. Having Stephen has changed my whole perspective on judging how other peoples' children act in public. I used to do some eye-rolling, I'll admit. But I don't do that any longer, because you just don't know what someone's going through till you live it.

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/8384/bullseye6da.jpg

Ur definatly one of the strong people that ino and i envy u in that way

Keep up the GREAT work heart.gif

what am i sayin...great work? ur just bein a MOM wub.gif

A super one at that wink.gif

heart.gif ya!

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jan 6 2006, 10:48 PM)

GG,

Frankly, your child's behaviour is a heck of a lot better than most of the kids I see nowadays! And most of that bad behaviour is due to lack of good parenting. When you see kids that act like that (that don't have Autism or other similar conditions), you usually see what causes that behaviour...... the parent ends up buying the bigbird for the kid just to shut him up!

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jan 7 2006, 12:18 AM)

NP Sis

heart.gif

I know brushing off is the correct thing to do, but i think you're an amazing person to be able to do that. I am far to weak to be able to brush off an asshole's remarks or faces if they were made at my child no matter what. Hopefully just reading some of this, I can learn a bit from you. I remember one of the biggest fights I had ever gotten into was over a comment. We had our two children out and recently I had "lost" my oldest at a fair. It turned out that he'd seen his mom and ran to her while I was paying to get into an attraction. Needless to say I flipped out when i looked down and he was gone in the blink of an eye. ANYWAY... we got one of those wrist "leashes" and that way we felt very secure in crowds. I was so traumatized over that. One day at a mall, some assbag made a comment about how kids are not dogs and should not be on leashes. It wasn't like it was around his neck... it wasn't even a harness, it was a velcro strap around his wrist tethered to one around mine. I took the strap off and gave it to my wife and approached the guy. Needless to say he got even mouthier. I, not having your skills at handling things, proceeded to do something i'm not to proud of and was ejected from the mall by three security guards. I could never handle the public like you have GG. Kudos to you and keep up the good work. You and Bonzie and anyone else that has to deal with that kind of crap on a higher level than the rest of us are truley amazing.

ken

Ken, believe me, sometimes it takes all my strength to hold back. So I understand what you mean. It doesn't make you a bad person. We all get very protective when it comes to our children.

Hi GG, I started looking at this thread from your comment in that other thread. It's terrible what has happened. I've only recently become aware of things like this due to a change in my own life. I feel for you and offer my heart-felt prayers.

It probably nothing you haven't already seen, but here's an article from a web site that I trust more than any other out there:

The great thimerosal cover-up: Mercury, vaccines, autism and your child's health

heart.gif

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jan 12 2006, 12:37 PM)
Hi GG, I started looking at this thread from your comment in that other thread.  It's terrible what has happened.  I've only recently become aware of things like this due to a change in my own life.  I feel for you and offer my heart-felt prayers.

It probably nothing you haven't already seen, but here's an article from a web site that I trust more than any other out there:

The great thimerosal cover-up: Mercury, vaccines, autism and your child's health

heart.gif

Thank you for that link! heart.gif

More in the "woo hooo" category today. biggrin.gif This is an excerpt from an email that Stephen's aide sent me this morning (she shadows him when he goes with his kindergarten class to music, art, etc.):

...And of course, I've been showing all the teachers how great

Stephen is at counting!!!! He's filling in some letters in the alphabet

too when we go over those. I can tell such a difference from the first

of the year. He's interacting and getting involved at PE and he's

getting much better in music and I think he sings with them, it's cute.

He's so smart!! I just can't wait to see how much more progress we're

going to make! Love, Jen

wub.gif

Just gettin good news after good news from that Lil one of urz GG

thats great!

Glad u have one of the "good" Aides,she sounds dedicated to him & ur family

lots out there that give us aides a bad name sad.gif

glad u have a good one smile.gif

rose.gif heart.gif

Hi Stephen! http://img368.imageshack.us/img368/5289/dora6bo.gif

Saw this pic and ur lil one popped in my mind

thought hed like it wink.gif