Autism

GhostGirl

QUOTE (debe @ Oct 5 2005, 01:55 AM)
Hello All,
  Odd that this should come up today. As in class (my nursing class) we were discussing the study just published. I can't remember the doctors name now, but apparently it was a huge study.I will ask my teacher for it again and see if I can find some site links. Anyhoo, the study found no connection to vaccination and autism. So that's out now. Now we just have to find what the common thread is. There has to be something else that all these patients share other than the diagnosis.

Please try not to take this too harshly, but because a doctor in the medical profession denounces the correlation between vaccinations and autism, doesn't rule it out. Even before this enlightening thread i had a huge distrust of the medical community (again... no personal offense meant) and one doctor representing this community saying that mercury contained vaccines are ruled out as a cause of any detrimental side effects sounds a bit fishy to me. Until DOCTORS start representing the business of HEALTH and not the business of SICK, i would need much more proof than one doctors findings. I would also love to know who backed his studies. Were they independent clinical studies, or was he funded by drug companies that were responsible for these atrocities? My neice works with mentally handicapped children of all degrees and she was an in home aide for families with children with autism. For a different reason than this thread (i just discovered it last night), we were talking about her work with a child i once coached. Because i had been in a conversation with someone else earlier about autism, i asked her questions about it to further my knowledge and she repeatedly spoke of the connections of vaccines and autism as well as other mental incapacities. Do you think it possible that your being taught certain discoveries or findings based on an agenda? You are, after all, entering the same medical field that would be loathe to admit any mistakes. One more time, please don't see this as a personal attack. I obviously see how you could as i read it over, but believe me it is not my intent to do so. I just believe that of course they would be teaching findings to new additions to their field that are going to agree with what they have been practicing for years. Until doctors stop prescribing drugs immediately for every ailment before looking into the patients complaints thoroughly, i can't be told otherwise. Physicians are drug companies puppets to a large majority. On a personal note, i suffered for TWO years with a condition known as Tri-geminal Neuralgia. I was pumped full of horrible drugs, most notably TEGRETOL... a drug for seizure disorders, that has very intense side effects. Because of my size, I had my dosage tripled by my doctor because of its innefectiveness. Until I mistakenly overdosed (by forgetting i had taken my dose a half hour earlier and then taking a total of six pills in a half hour), i never was told that there was a simple procedure to eliminate the pain. I was also NEVER told that chiropractic would be a major help. I know this has nothing to do with autism, but it is the basis of my knowledgable distrust of the medical community as a whole. It is so clear that Health care is not what it is about. Repeat business is the order and drug companies will do whatever it takes to keep repeat business coming. I hate to say this, but I wouldn't doubt for a minute that there was knowledgable intent when these vaccines were created, that this would happen and create a bigger consistant need for more "treatment". I will continue learning more about these things as i can, and if i'm EVER proven wrong, i'll apologize for these feelings and comments, but i doubt it will happen unfortunately.

^

^

^

What he said.

One study doesn't discount the possiblity.

As evidenced by GG's research and posts, mercury in vaccines or mercury given in any form is a health risk.

Sorry, I don't believe the one study.

*edit-my son has Aspergers ( a form of Autism) and our vaccines in Canada are the same as the ones in the States. In fact a lot of our vaccines and medications are purchased from the same manufacturers.

Edited by dweezil

Don't know if GG posted this or not.

From a doctor:

http://www.thenation.com/doc/20050815/drmarc

Drug companies manufacture vaccines, several of which are mandated for use by our infants. Despite the vulnerability the public has to chemicals introduced into our bodies, the drug companies tend to be defensive and laissez faire about the need for changing they way they do things. Thimerosal is such an example. This additive, which contains trace amount of mercury, has been shown to cause irritability in mice, and could well have been removed from routine vaccines long ago.

To be sure, there is a significant increase in autism and environmental factors appear to play a role as does improved diagnostic sensitivity to autism. But in several epidemiological studies, no association between autism and thimerosal has been proven. Does this mean that no such association exists? No, it does not. Further study, perhaps even a large prospective double blind randomized trial, may be warranted.

posted August 3, 2005

*edit to add date of this doctor's post

Edited by dweezil

Thanks to each one of you who have read, pondered, and then commented on the articles and opinions found in this thread.

I too have developed a real mistrust of "traditional" medicine, as evidenced by my posts here. And it doesn't surprise me at all that a nursing student would be told that the thimerosal/autism connection is bogus. All I can tell you is that I've researched this quite thoroughly, have seen evidence and a paper trail of a cover-up to protect money interests, and that I no longer inherently trust anything someone "in charge" tells me.

A most excellent, factual account of this controversy is found in the book I've mentioned several times: Evidence of Harm by David Kirby, columnist for the NYT.

Thank you again for reading and reacting. That's all I could ask for. heart.gif

QUOTE (dweezil @ Oct 5 2005, 09:02 AM)
...mercury in vaccines or mercury given in any form is a health risk...

I have to agree.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/RushBabe/Stephen/mercurybaby.jpg

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Aug 30 2005, 11:24 AM)
I saw this story too...thanks to everyone who sent it to me.

This quote is from WebMD:

"'...many parents treat their children's autism with chelation therapies. Most of them consider intravenous EDTA an extreme treatment,' says Sallie Bernard, executive director of Safe Minds, a group that strongly disagrees with the IOM's [institute of Medicine] conclusions.

'The boy who died was using a form of chelation therapy that is not generally recommended or widely practiced within the autism community trying chelation,' Bernard tells WebMD. 'It is an unusual circumstance. EDTA is not what most of these parents are doing. It is not what is considered the right form of chelation.'"

We haven't entered this phase with Stephen...we see one doctor tomorrow (a neurologist) and another doctor on Friday (a holistic doctor who is a real M.D. as well - not the self-proclaimed "holistic healers" that seem to be popping up everywhere)...and so we'll see.

We're trying to gather information from every possible source to make the best choices for Stephen. I will not take one ounce of his care and treatment lightly, or undertake anything that is dangerous. I want to help him, and while that may take the form of "non-traditional" treatments, nothing will be done that isn't completely researched first.

Thanks again for caring.

GG,

Do you have any update on how things are going? Any progress?

Peace & Love,

Gary

Thanks for asking, goob.

Well, we are still working on doing some tests that we really feel like we need for baseline figures. This is a challenge for various logistical reasons, but we're getting there.

I started last Friday night giving Stephen methyl B-12 injections, every three days.

Methylation defects are now believed to be the primary metabolic defect in autism. The methylation cycle provides the energy and methyl groups needed to produce a key compound called glutathione, which is deficient in autistic children. This defect is caused by a number of errors in the genetic code called SNPs. A number of which are associated with autism. The key problem is methyl cobalamin donates its methyl group and cannot re-methylate and becomes inactive, which stops the production of the down stream compounds including glutathione. Giving glutathione can be helpful, but it is better to fix the factory by giving extra methyl cobalamin or methyl B12. This is dosed at 75mcg/kg twice weekly or 64.5 mcg every three days given SC.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Oct 5 2005, 10:58 AM)
QUOTE (dweezil @ Oct 5 2005, 09:02 AM)
...mercury in vaccines or mercury given in any form is a health risk...

I have to agree.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/RushBabe/Stephen/mercurybaby.jpg

Like I've said...we see articles in the newspaper and on TV warning us to avoid eating tuna and other fish because mercury levels rose just a hair, but it's okay to inject it into our babies? Brilliant. These are the people we trust to take care of us?

It's like the tobacco debacle.

For years they supressed their research results....and years later we know how harmful it is.

Same with the drug companies---it's all about profit and to hell with the few that are harmed.

mad.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Oct 5 2005, 07:13 AM)
Thanks for asking, goob.

Well, we are still working on doing some tests that we really feel like we need for baseline figures. This is a challenge for various logistical reasons, but we're getting there.

I started last Friday night giving Stephen methyl B-12 injections, every three days.

Methylation defects are now believed to be the primary metabolic defect in autism. The methylation cycle provides the energy and methyl groups needed to produce a key compound called glutathione, which is deficient in autistic children. This defect is caused by a number of errors in the genetic code called SNPs. A number of which are associated with autism. The key problem is methyl cobalamin donates its methyl group and cannot re-methylate and becomes inactive, which stops the production of the down stream compounds including glutathione. Giving glutathione can be helpful, but it is better to fix the factory by giving extra methyl cobalamin or methyl B12. This is dosed at 75mcg/kg twice weekly or 64.5 mcg every three days given SC.

please keep us updated when there are new developments - a whole bunch of us have you in our thoughts and prayers, and it's a good reminder to keep you there. heart.gif

peace & love,

gary

I've just returned from a re-certification meeting for Stephen at school...which is basically the team that works with him telling me, "Yes, he still has autism. Yes, we're going to keep doing what we're doing."

However, this time, he has moved from "severe" to "average" as far as the clinical classification of autism (there are about 8 levels, ranging from severe to moderately severe to average to slight to high funtioning). Both his teacher and I filled out rating scales as part of this analysis, and we came up with the exact same score, which is great because it shows consistency in how Stephen relates at home and school.

It's great to step back and think about how far he has come from the quiet, withdrawn, socially isolated two year old I remember.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Oct 5 2005, 10:40 AM)
I've just returned from a re-certification meeting for Stephen at school...which is basically the team that works with him telling me, "Yes, he still has autism. Yes, we're going to keep doing what we're doing."

However, this time, he has moved from "severe" to "average" as far as the clinical classification of autism (there are about 8 levels, ranging from severe to moderately severe to average to slight to high funtioning). Both his teacher and I filled out rating scales as part of this analysis, and we came up with the exact same score, which is great because it shows consistency in how Stephen relates at home and school.

It's great to step back and think about how far he has come from the quiet, withdrawn, socially isolated two year old I remember.

Belle,

That is good news indeed. Reading this put a smile on my face for you & your Stephen.

rose.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Oct 5 2005, 01:40 PM)

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif

It doesn't hurt that he has a helluva mom who is breaking her back to help him. wub.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Oct 5 2005, 11:17 AM)
I've just returned from a re-certification meeting for Stephen at school...which is basically the team that works with him telling me, "Yes, he still has autism.  Yes, we're going to keep doing what we're doing."

However, this time, he has moved from "severe" to "average" as far as the clinical classification of autism (there are about 8 levels, ranging from severe to moderately severe to average to slight to high funtioning).  Both his teacher and I filled out rating scales as part of this analysis, and we came up with the exact same score, which is great because it shows consistency in how Stephen relates at home and school.

It doesn't hurt that he has a helluva mom who is breaking her back to help him. wub.gif

Hear, hear...personally, I think that is one of the reasons why he is progressing like he is. cheer.gif

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Oct 5 2005, 01:35 PM)
I've just returned from a re-certification meeting for Stephen at school...which is basically the team that works with him telling me, "Yes, he still has autism.  Yes, we're going to keep doing what we're doing."

However, this time, he has moved from "severe" to "average" as far as the clinical classification of autism (there are about 8 levels, ranging from severe to moderately severe to average to slight to high funtioning).  Both his teacher and I filled out rating scales as part of this analysis, and we came up with the exact same score, which is great because it shows consistency in how Stephen relates at home and school.

Hear, hear...personally, I think that is one of the reasons why he is progressing like he is. cheer.gif

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Oct 5 2005, 01:15 PM)

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif

Thank you, guys. heart.gif

"Life is to be fortified by many friendships. To love and to be loved is the greatest happiness of existence."

~Sydney Smith, 1771-1845

Thank you to the ones who fortify my life every day.

Exactly! Stephen was unlucky to have Autism but is VERY lucky to have a great, loving, unselfish and dedicated Mother! (A beautiful, brown eyed one as well smile.gif ) You are a true hero ... and that is why there is so much Love for you here. As always, you and Stephen and Kerry are in my prayers!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/RushBabe/Michelle/MandStephen.jpg

heart.gif rose.gif heart.gif rose.gif heart.gif rose.gif heart.gif rose.gif heart.gif rose.gif

Not a hero, just a mom. All the moms here can testify that you do what you have to do for your babies.

Besides, how could you not love this face? biggrin.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/RushBabe/Stephen/PICT0055.jpg

QUOTE (ES-335 @ Oct 5 2005, 03:12 PM)

Exactly! Stephen was unlucky to have Autism but is VERY lucky to have a great, loving, unselfish and dedicated Mother! (A beautiful, brown eyed one as well smile.gif ) You are a true hero ... and that is why there is so much Love for you here. As always, you and Stephen and Kerry are in my prayers!!!

heart.gif rose.gif heart.gif rose.gif heart.gif rose.gif heart.gif rose.gif heart.gif rose.gif

GG~ ^ This is wonderful news.

But, I had to tell you that I think this is a STUNNING picture of the two of you! wub.gif

QUOTE (sundog @ Oct 5 2005, 03:26 PM)
QUOTE (ES-335 @ Oct 5 2005, 03:12 PM)

GG~ ^ This is wonderful news.

But, I had to tell you that I think this is a STUNNING picture of the two of you! wub.gif

yes.gif A great pic indeed biggrin.gif

Edited by Test4VitalSigns

Your strength shows in His progress.

Stay strong Sis ,your doin one hellava job yes.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Oct 5 2005, 04:22 PM)
Wonderful news, belle. All of that hard work is paying off. You must be so proud of that little guy. And, he certainly loves you a lot from what that picture shows!

(There's my watermelon shirt! tongue.gif )

z7shysterical.gif

I forgot!