Twelve Albums That Changed Your Life

GeddysMullet

Apparently that album came out at a crucial time for a lot of us. I think it's a masterpiece. I didn't think a whole lot of the movie because I don't think it really captured the essence of the album. It seemed way too short for one thing. They needed to delve more into the Mods and Rockers gap. I always thought this album would have made an awesome TV series.

Good topic. Not my 12 favorites necessarily (though some are), but the 12 that at one time or another towered above all else, more so than some others (my first cut was closer to twenty). In chronological order:

Simon and Garfunkel's Greatest Hits -- my first obsession, as a 2nd grader

Elton John Greatest Hits -- my 2nd obsession, as a 3rd grader

Led Zeppelin Physical Graffiti -- Kashmir, In the Light, Bron-Yr-Aur, Ten Years Gone ... I still marvel. Using Kiss as a stepladder in the 4th grade, by 5th grade had graduated to the big leagues

Aerosmith Get Your Wings -- God what a classic. My 7th grade obsession, before AFTK grabbed me.

Rush A Farewell to Kings -- listened to Xanadu at least twice a day with headphones for a year

Rush Hemispheres -- still the most special album to me

Big Country The Crossing -- if you love guitar albums this is a must. Johnny Marr said of Radiohead after OK Computer, "With Radiohead, you can never have too many guitars"; the same could be said of Big Country following this album. Don't be misled by the album's sunny single (In a Big Country); this is a somber, complex album with some prog thrown in (I thought it a Mike Oldfield's Ommadawn with lyrics put to a heavy guitar track at the time).

The Smiths Meat is Murder -- not nearly their best but it was my introduction. I had the American version with How Soon is Now. One of the Best Songs Ever no doubt

Tones on Tail The Album Pop -- if you've never heard this album check out Twist and Rain; they're just sick

Wire 154 -- they remain my favorite band, along with The Beatles and Radiohead. 154 was years ahead of its time

Nirvana Nevermind -- did my best to ignore them but couldn't

Radiohead OK Computer -- maybe my favorite album, despite the sentimental hold of Hemispheres

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 2

Good topic. Not my 12 favorites necessarily (though some are), but the 12 that at one time or another towered above all else, more so than some others (my first cut was closer to twenty). In chronological order:

Led Zeppelin Physical Graffiti -- Kashmir, In the Light, Bron-Yr-Aur, Ten Years Gone ... I still marvel. Using Kiss as a stepladder in the 4th grade, by 5th grade had graduated to the big leagues

Aerosmith Get Your Wings -- God what a classic. My 7th grade obsession, before AFTK grabbed me.

Rush A Farewell to Kings -- listened to Xanadu at least twice a day with headphones for a year

Big Country The Crossing -- if you love guitar albums this is a must. Johnny Marr said of Radiohead after OK Computer, "With Radiohead, you can never have too many guitars"; the same could be said of Big Country following this album. Don't be misled by the album's sunny single (In a Big Country); this is a somber, complex album with some prog thrown in (I thought it a Mike Oldfield's Ommadawn with lyrics put to a heavy guitar track at the time).

The Smiths Meat is Murder -- not nearly their best but it was my introduction. I had the American version with How Soon is Now. One of the Best Songs Ever no doubt

Tones on Tail The Album Pop -- if you've never heard this album check out Twist and Rain; they're just sick

Wire 154 -- they remain my favorite band, along with The Beatles and Radiohead. 154 was years ahead of its time

Radiohead OK Computer -- maybe my favorite album, despite the sentimental hold of Hemispheres

You are my music doppelganger. Simon & Garfunkel's Greatest Hits isn't on the list I posted but it should be. I love every minute of it.

You are my music doppelganger. Simon & Garfunkel's Greatest Hits isn't on the list I posted but it should be. I love every minute of it.

And you mine. Not meaning to start a mutual admiration society but I before had never come across someone who likes the same landscape of bands, if that makes sense. Re Simon and Garfunkel's Greatest Hits, it's always remained one of my go to albums. The live tracks are perfectly chosen, seeming an improvement over their studio counterparts. Really a perfect collection. My wife has The Best of... in her car's CD magazine. More tracks but the song list doesn't do it for me. The inclusion of At the Zoo and Fakin' It makes no sense to me at all, apart from including them just for the sake of it. A Hazy Shade of Winter also doesn't do anything for me. If The Bangles hadn't covered it, I don't think I'd have ever noticed it.

I suppose many of these could be counted as my "Trapped on a deserted island records" but not all, and as the title says, albums that changed my life...so here goes and some for no particular reason, but they had a significant impact somehow.

Queen - A Night At The Opera...Used to sneak it out of my older sisters record collection to listen to Bohemian Rhapsody (a song I loath now) but it was the first rock record I ever knew.

Saturday Night Fever...Such a huge record in its day it was the first time I really appreciated the productions of the music.

Star Wars...Besides being a complete SW nerd, the music was fantastic and was the first time I really learned to appreciate symphonic music.

AC/DC - Back In Black...One of the first Rock Records I ever owned.

The Doors - The Doors Greatest Hits...The first record I knew note for note.

2112...My first RUSH record.

Pink Floyd - The Wall...Gotta love it.

The Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream...Prol'y burned up 5 copies of that CD.

Vince Guaraldi Trio - A Charlie Brown Christmas...Could listen to this forever.

Marillion - Misplaced Childhood...A really important record in my life when it came out.

Herb Alperts Tijuana Brass - Whipped Cream and Other Delights... Prol'y why I prefer brunettes.

Signals... The one that reached out a grabbed that nerve that forms what records like that do, when you are a teenager.

• Like 2

I think it was unfortunate that "In A Big Country" became the popular song as it's the only song of theirs most people know. And not only is it not very good, it's also a bit different than the rest of the album. Other than that song this is a really great album.

"Rain" is beautiful. It's a bit gloomy without being sad, just like a rainy day.

• Like 1

Herb Alperts Tijuana Brass - Whipped Cream and Other Delights... Prol'y why I prefer brunettes.

I almost listed that one! Can't say I remember too many songs on the album, but I know I spent hours staring at the cover as a kid! :drool:

(Listening to it now. Coming right back to me...The title track is theme to the Dating Game, yes?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFgKIz1SrlI

I almost listed that one! Can't say I remember too many songs on the album, but I know I spent hours staring at the cover as a kid! :drool:

(Listening to it now. Coming right back to me...The title track is theme to the Dating Game, yes?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFgKIz1SrlI

Yes, it is The Dating Game theme...But I had to look it up 'cuz I had no memories of the songs...just that album cover.

I think it was unfortunate that "In A Big Country" became the popular song as it's the only song of theirs most people know. And not only is it not very good, it's also a bit different than the rest of the album. Other than that song this is a really great album.

"Rain" is beautiful. It's a bit gloomy without being sad, just like a rainy day.

Completely agree about "In a Big Country". I didn't like the song from the first time I heard it and I still skip it (reminded me of "Whisper to a Scream" by Icicle Works" -- too earnest); luckily I was exposed to the rest of the album anyway, which has, as you mention, a different feel to it.

1. Time Out - Dave Brubeck: The coolest album my parents owned. I listened to it a ton as a oung kid, and it gave me a lasting appreciation of the impact of time signature on music.

I grew up with the album. My sister was (and still is) nine years older than me. When she was in high school, she listened to that all the time. That and the soundtrack from the Broadway play West Side Story. I was about five years old, and I guess you can say I developed my love for music at a very very young age.

It really is a perfect album. Like you, I developed a passion for music at a very young age. Rock music came onto the scene later, which I'm actually glad for.

I remembered (and don't know how I could have forgotten) the other album that I played very often as a child. Believe it or not, La Valse by Ravel. The album belonged to my sister who hated what passed for rock n roll in 1960. All she listened to was Ferrante and Teicher - stuff like that. Anyway, she told me a story associated with Ravel that I found mesmerizing at that young age. She told me (I don't know if it is true) that he wrote LaValse as a practice piece for an orchestra when he was in a mental institution. I think Pavan for a Dead Princess was my favorite piece from the album.

Completely agree about "In a Big Country". I didn't like the song from the first time I heard it and I still skip it (reminded me of "Whisper to a Scream" by Icicle Works" -- too earnest); luckily I was exposed to the rest of the album anyway, which has, as you mention, a different feel to it.

I love "In a Big Country"! It's a wonderful song. Yes, the rest of The Crossing is much better, but I still think its a fun song. CHA!!!!

• Like 2

I love "In a Big Country"! It's a wonderful song. Yes, the rest of The Crossing is much better, but I still think its a fun song. CHA!!!!

:LOL: I had that album and loved that song too. It was the first song on the first side of the album.

I can't think of 12 albums that have changed my life, but one for sure is Vapor Trails. It was my first time seeing Rush in concert and the day after

I signed up for the original Rush message board and soon after met my boyfriend of 11 years. :)

Edited by KW84
  • Like 2

Heart-Dreamboat Annie

One of my very favorite debut albums of all time.

This would get multiple back to back playings. And believe me it's a rare band that could get back to black playings from me.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

Twelve more:

Sigur Rós - Ágætis Byrjun

King Crimson - Red

XTC - Black Sea

Talking Heads - Remain in Light

Simon & Garfunkel - Simon & Garfunkel's Greatest Hits

The Kinks - One for the Road

Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Rust Never Sleeps

Pere Ubu - The Modern Dance

Beck - Odelay

Daryl Hall - Sacred Songs

Various Artists - The Indestructible Beat Of Soweto

Original Cast - Jesus Christ Superstar

I noticed, in twenty-four albums, I haven't pick any Dylan and I realized I'm more impressed with his songs. Tons of them.

1. The Empire Strikes Back- soundtrack. First album I ever received. I was 5. I'm a huge SW geek and also a film score fanatic to this day.

2. Weird Al- In 3-D. First album I bought myself. Love it to this day

3. Simon & Garfunkel- Sounds of Silence. Half the lyrics went over my head when I was listening to this around 7 years old but this album and their others taught me so much about life growing up.

4. Creedence Clearwater Revival- Cosmo's Factory. Need I say more?

5. ABBA- Greatest Hits Vol. 2- I remember singing Eagle, Angel Eyes and Take A Chance on Me over and over again one summer. They had so many great songs but people mistaking-ley categorize them as a "disco" band cause of Dancing Queen.

6. Metallica-Master of Puppets. The album that got me hooked on metal and playing guitar. That led me to...

7. Iron Maiden- Piece of Mind. My favorite band of all time!

8. Bad Religion- Stranger Than Fiction. My gateway to punk rawk.

9. MxPx- Life In General. It was like they were speaking to me.

10. Rush- Chronicle. Blew me away! I was also sad that it took me until first hearing it in 1991 that I missed out on them for so long.

11. Eagles-One of These Nights. Don Felder's guitar work was epic.

12. Tom Petty- Full Moon Fever. Just about a perfect album.

So many more too like The Beatles, Fleetwood Mac, Bruce Springsteen, Lagwagon, Neil Diamond, Beach Boys, The Ramones...so many titles that changed me.

• Like 2

I'll see your CHA!!!! and raise you a HEE-YA! HAH! CHA!!!! :D

Also: XTC's Black Sea! I couldn't call it a life-changer, but to this day it's one of my favourite albums, an all-time essential along with the not-as-cohesive-but-still-greatly-loved Drums And Wires.

• Like 1

Face Value-Phil Collins

Sound weird.......but I swear that album is just perfect. The next one was no slough either. Then he released that piece of shit No Jacket and it was over for the rest of his career.

Screw you Phil.....lol. Just kidding.

Mick

The Stranglers - The Raven - The first album that got me truly hooked on music

The Clash - London Calling - Just because it is so cool. Guns of Brixton inspired the creation of the word "swagger"

Big Country - The Crossing - Whenever I listen to this I am a teenager again. Really takes me back. The saddest suicide in music.

David Bowie - Scary Monsters - Side 1 (I'm old) is unbeatable.I remember seeing the video for Ashes to Ashes and not believing my eyes.

David Bowie - Hunky Dory - Something about this album always made it feel like DB was in the room singing.

Rush - Moving Pictures - Anyone else remember hearing the opening of Tom Sawyer for the first time?

Van Halen - 1984 - Made me want to go widdly-widdly on the guitar.

Lone Justice - Shelter - There was a girl involved. Haven't heard this one in years.

Rush - Grace under Pressure - Me and a buddy used to waste hours just talking about and listening to this album.

Michael Jackson - Thriller - I haven't heard this in forever, but anyone who was a teenager when this thing was released will tell you it was a landmark in music.I still remember going to school on a Monday after the first screening of the Thriller video the night before. It seemed like people were talking about nothing else.

The Waterboys - A Pagan Place - A big influence on my songwriting at the time.

Pearl Jam - Vs - I didn't like this at first, but it soon became my obsession. Good times drinking with friends with this as the soundtrack.

The Stranglers - The Raven - The first album that got me truly hooked on music

The Clash - London Calling - Just because it is so cool. Guns of Brixton inspired the creation of the word "swagger"

Big Country - The Crossing - Whenever I listen to this I am a teenager again. Really takes me back. The saddest suicide in music.

David Bowie - Scary Monsters - Side 1 (I'm old) is unbeatable.I remember seeing the video for Ashes to Ashes and not believing my eyes.

David Bowie - Hunky Dory - Something about this album always made it feel like DB was in the room singing.

Rush - Moving Pictures - Anyone else remember hearing the opening of Tom Sawyer for the first time?

Van Halen - 1984 - Made me want to go widdly-widdly on the guitar.

Lone Justice - Shelter - There was a girl involved. Haven't heard this one in years.

Rush - Grace under Pressure - Me and a buddy used to waste hours just talking about and listening to this album.

Michael Jackson - Thriller - I haven't heard this in forever, but anyone who was a teenager when this thing was released will tell you it was a landmark in music.I still remember going to school on a Monday after the first screening of the Thriller video the night before. It seemed like people were talking about nothing else.

The Waterboys - A Pagan Place - A big influence on my songwriting at the time.

Pearl Jam - Vs - I didn't like this at first, but it soon became my obsession. Good times drinking with friends with this as the soundtrack.

Lone Justice !!!! :cool:

Nice one .

Maria McKee is the girl involved .

Have all her albums and Ive seen her many times over the years

11. Eagles-One of These Nights. Don Felder's guitar work was epic.

me.

Interesting to see a list with an Eagles album. They get lambasted on this forum, but the songwriting from these guys and their musicianship is solid.

I noticed the Beach Boys as well. I'd have to add them...Good Vibrations is a compilation album that I listened to a ton as a kid.

http://www.recordsale.de/cdpix/t/the_beach_boys-good_vibrations.jpg