Twelve Albums That Changed Your Life

GeddysMullet

This is from a forum I used to frequent that is dead now. They had a thread called "12 Books That Changed Your Life," and creating a thread with this topic was my answer to that. I thought this might be an interesting thread for some of the music lovers here.

Inspired by the 12 Books thread. I read a lot, and there are many books that I love, but I can't think of very many individual books that I could honestly say changed my life. I could probably list 12 favourites, but that's different, isn't it? Record albums are a different story. Although I'm not a musician and in fact haven't got a scrap of musical talent, for some reason it's always been music that had a life-changing influence on me. Music has always been what has inspired me to create, has made me curious about life and people, and has driven me to try to better myself. I can't explain exactly how or why, but I can certainly pinpoint albums that have been particularly significant to me:

1. Sticky Fingers - The Rolling Stones

This album came out when I was 5 or 6 years old. I fell in love with the song "Brown Sugar" after hearing it on the radio, and insisted that my mother buy this album for me. I was a rock'n'roller from that moment forward, even though at the time I thought some of the songs on it were in a foreign language.

2. Don't Shoot Me, I'm Only The Piano Player - Elton John

Elton John was the first musical artist or band I was really into independently of the 60s rock and folk that was in the collections of my parents. This was never my favourite Elton John record, but it was the first one I heard and remembered. I lost interest in Elton after "Captain Fantastic And The Brown Dirt Cowboy," which is still a friggin' great record along with "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road."

3. Led Zeppelin IV, aka The Runes Album

My brother played it incessantly. I'm not sure whether I really liked it on my own, or whether I sort of convinced myself to like it because my brother thought it was cool. I should revisit this one.

4. Hot Rocks 1964-1971 - The Rolling Stones

It started for me with the Rolling Stones, as noted above, but I didn't become a Stones fan until I was 12 or 13 and I heard this compilation. Quite simply, it made me glad to be alive. A few years later, I read the Stones bio "Up And Down With The Rolling Stones," the one written by the guy who got drugs for Keith Richards, and I suffered a brief existential crisis at the idea that the people who made this music that was so important to me were utter scumbags. Needing a way to process this, I decided right then never to idealise anything or anybody. That makes me quite cynical in some ways, but also enables me to cope with a pretty darned non-ideal world. Yes, The Rolling Stones taught me that everyone is human and you'll be constantly disappointed in life if you don't understand that.

5. Quadrophenia - The Who

I wouldn't have survived my teen years without this record.

6. Damn The Torpedoes - Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers

The first Tom Petty record I had, and, I reckon, still the best. My Tom Petty fandom led me into a gig writing record reviews for a local free music paper. I don't actually remember exactly how it led to that, other than that it had something to do with a clever letter I wrote to the paper in response to a Tom Petty cover story.

7. London Calling - The Clash

My musical tastes were always completely out of step with those of my peers in high school. At the school I went to in Florida, this was tantamount to a political issue. This record lined me up as a punk/new-wave kid in a sea of AOR rock'n'rollers. It also figured in the drama of the "Americanism Vs Communism" class I had to take (yes, that's what it was called). I didn't care at all about the politics of the record, but perhaps its influence is what led me to rather naively remark in that class that I thought it was better to be Communist than dead. I couldn't wear my red flannel shirt to school for the rest of the year without hearing whispers behind me of "There she is! There's that Communist punk bitch wearing her red shirt!" in the hallways.

8. Don't Say No - Billy Squier

I secretly played both sides of the musical fence. This was my favourite of the records that I hid from my friends. Then one of my closest friends, the only old-school rock guy I hung out with, discovered my copy of it. He teased me about it for months. After that, I loosened up considerably on the need to pretend that I only liked "cool" music.

9. Dead Man's Party - Oingo Boingo

Oingo Boingo were my favourite group for several years. I interviewed Danny Elfman, for a college paper, back when no one knew who he was. He inspired me tremendously with his great attitude and his dedication to his work.

10. Urban Hymns - The Verve

During the 90s I didn't find many artists that I could really latch onto. There was music I liked, there were good records, but there weren't any IT bands like there had always been at other times in my life. Then I heard the Verve (beyond "Bittersweet Symphony) in England and I had an IT band again. Unfortunately, they broke up right around the time I discovered them! Still though, I joined a Verve forum and entered the brave new world of Internet band fandom. It gets complicated after that.

11. This Is My Truth, Tell Me Yours - Manic Street Preachers

This was the first album I heard by the Band That Ate My Life. That's a long story. The short version is that I made a film about them, and that process was chock-full of life lessons. For related information, click on the pic in my sig of Rush with the goofy guy holding the denim jacket).

12. Clockwork Angels - Rush

The fact that these three guys who have over a decade on me can still rock this hard with this much vigour and passion makes me feel that maybe I'm not too old to peak after all.

Edited by GeddysMullet
  • Like 5

1. Lacuna Coil- Karmacode. Yes, this is my favourite album of all time, from my favourite band. LC fans have always, as a majority, bashed this album for its more commercial flavour and often nu-metal approach to songwriting. What makes me think beyond this? The absolutely breathtaking vocals of Cristina Scabbia for a start. Her voice is ethereal, exotic and erotic, especially when she chants and riffs all over the place. Songs such as Our Truth and You Create/What I See have been played literally thousands of times, and never have I tired of hearing them. Secondly, the lyrics. I absolutely adore them. They went with a slight conceptual approach, with the running theme of spirituality, and the difficulty of believing and finding the answers to lifes questions in a world dominated by technology. It sounds pretentious, but they are deeply poetic, and I have spent years in awe of them. The album closes with a stunning cover version of Depeche Mode's Enjoy The Silence. It has tk be heard to be believed. The whole album is a masterclass of eastern flavoured vocals melodies, soaring choruses, and hypnotic production. I went through a period of three years playing this album at least knce every day, and even now I still play it regularly. I absolutely love this album, and I truly do not care what anyone thinks of this album or this band. I love them and that is final!

2) Khoma- The Second Wave: everything about this album is perfection. Melancholy, slow and melodic, it is also surprisingly heavy and deeply emotional. Stunning album. I have always been moved beyond reason by this, and it led me to search for albums of a similar nature. To this day, I tend to prefer listening to music that makes me feel something.

3) Miles Davis- Kind Of Blue: not my favourite Miles Davis album, nevertheless it was my first, and this album introduced me to a real legend. I now have over thirty of his albums, and it all began here...

4) Within Temptation- The Silent Force: my first metal album, I discovered this album from a friends mix cd. Do I still love it? Not really, but it kickstarted a love of alternative music and I went through a very lengthy spell of loving heavy metal and punk because of this. Fair enough, this is very commercial, but it led me down a very dark path musically...

5) At The Drive-In- Relationship Of Command: Chaotic, lyrically unhinged, vocally deranged, and untra-catchy in an alarmingly spasmodic way, ATD-I released possibly the craziest punm album I have yet to hear! Hailed as a modern masterpiece, it led me to bands such as The Dillinger Escape Plan and the like. I still love the energy and creativity of this album...I would go as far as calling it perfect.

6) The Juliana Theory- Deadbeat Sweetheartbeat: This album kickstarted my love of emo. Proper emo, the kind that started with Rites Of Spring, and ended pretty much with the death of this band. It remains possibly my favourite album of this genre, and it helped reinvigorate my love for more lighthearted music. I have conversed wjth the frontman, Brett Detar, and he led me to Toto. Take that as you will...

7) Igor Stravinsky- The Rites Of Spring: Classical music is part of my musical DNA. My father introduced me to the Disney classic Fantasia when I was about five years old, and it was the root of my love for all things musical. This piece was used for the segment on dinosaurs, and it is a violent, edgy and very rhythmic piece of music. Dark music is something I still find myself drawn to, and once again, it started with this. I still love classical music down to this very day...

8) Fleetwood Mac- Rumours: after years of playing nothing but punk and metal, I was yearning for something different. I bought a bunch of albums online from various different bands, this being one of them. It helped me to see the value of classic rock. Music no longer needed to scream at me to move me, and I also discovered Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham. I still am a huge fan of this album, and the rest of this lineups output. Gold Dust Woman, The Chain, Dreams and Never Let Me Down Again are my favourites. B-Side Silver Springs is one of my favourite songs.

9) Rush- Moving Pictures: I bought this the same time as Rumours. I had never heard a Rush song in my life, but decided to try it based on several articles I had read on Rush over the years. I loved this from day one, and thanks to Rush, I discovered classic prog and hard rock. Prior to Rush, the only Prog I had listened to were Mastodon and Opeth. Both are brilliant bands, but Rush cemented my love of complex rock music.

10) ABBA- The Visitors: I was about ten years old, and all I listened to was ABBA. Morning, noon and night. My uncle gave me all his ABBA vinyls, and this sombre pop masterpiece is every bit as gorgeous as Rumours, and much darker musically and lyrically than anyone could have expected them to do. The title track, When All Is Said And Done, and Like An Angel Passing Through My Room remind me a lot of the gothic movement of the 80's. The title track, an attack on the Soviet Union, saw them get in a lot of trouble with that country. I still love ABBA, and this album.

11) The Beatles- the Red and Blue albums: The Beatles are amazing. I bought these remastered in 2010, and before long owned every album. Nothing more to be said, I had been raised on a lot of 60's music, and this band took me back to my childhood. I once again appreciate a huge amount of sixties music, especially the rock side of it!

12) Bruce Springsteen- only one? Afraid I have to say his first four albums as just one choice. They all transformed me, I love this mans music very much, and I own every album. Only three fail to please me. Not bad at all! My all time favourite songwriter..if I have to be pushed I will have to say Ths Wild, The Innocent and the E Street Shuffle. Fantastic album, hideously and unforgivably overlooked.

So many other albums, but these twelve stand out as gamechangers.

• Like 1

Off the top of my head...

Abba - The Visitors - First album I ever bought. Love it to this day.

Queen - The Works - I fell in love with this special band thanks to this record.

Led Zeppelin II - Girls, sex, beer, recreational herbs.

Pink Floyd - The Final Cut - Vital record for a teen who wants to immerse himself in misery.

Pixies - Doolittle - Indie boy wakes up.

Yes - Fragile - Like nothing I'd ever heard before. Blew my mind.

Television - Marquee Moon - Prog & new wave cross paths. Very important record.

Husker Du - Flip Your Wig - Indie boy digs a bit deeper.

Miles Davis - Sketches of Spain - Everything changed after this one.

Neil Young - After The Goldrush - Ball-achingly introspective, essential for this miserable teen.

Lou Reed - New York - Anger is an energy.

The Clash - London Calling - If ever an album was made to give you a swagger, it's this one.

There's loads more, but my brain resembles blancmange right now.

• Like 6

Queen - The Works - I fell in love with this special band thanks to this record.

Pink Floyd - The Final Cut - Vital record for a teen who wants to immerse himself in misery.

Neil Young - After The Goldrush - Ball-achingly introspective, essential for this miserable teen.

The Clash - London Calling - If ever an album was made to give you a swagger, it's this one.

I did not expect to have so much in common with you! I love almost all these albums!

I have a strange list... Dunno if I can make it to 12... I'll go halfway

Thriller - pretty much defined my childhood

Sports - my first CD ever owned. Huey Lewis still rocks

Boston - Got me into the "Rock" world

Fair Warning - started to find my rock groove

Roll The Bones - When I found Rush

Hemispheres - possibly the most perfect album I ever listened to.

• Like 3

I did not expect to have so much in common with you! I love almost all these albums!

Ah, that was just the indignant Queen fan in me lashing out. It's been my default position regarding Queen for years!

Yes, I see you included The Visitors. Marvellous.

Ah, that was just the indignant Queen fan in me lashing out. It's been my default position regarding Queen for years!

Yes, I see you included The Visitors. Marvellous.

Lol...same here when people disrespect MY Lacuna Coil. Believe me, I have been known to get RIDICULOUS! I am just so happy to see both ABBA and Miles Davis get some attention...The Clash and Pixies as well...

Ok then.

1. The Beatles-White album

2. The beatles-Abbey Road

3. Tom Waits-Small Change.

4. Radiohead-Kid A

5. Lindsey Buckingham-Out of the Cradle

6. Rush Permanent Waves

7. Dire Straits-Making Movies

8. Tom Waits-Swordfishtrombones

9. Pink Floyd Animals

10. Leonard Cohen-The Future.

11. the Band-Music from Big Pink

12. Kate Bush- Never For Ever

These were all milestone albums in the development of my musical palette.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 4

1. Rumours - Fleetwood Mac, I was given a box of cassette tapes by an uncle when I was about 8, this one I played to death. I really didnt know much about popular music, but what I imagined as "rock and roll" was not this, it was just "normal music" but it was so good!

2. Enema of the state - Blink 182, I was in middle school. I could play a lot of stringed instruments, violin, mandolin. This music was fun to listen to. Some guys in high school were in a band, playing some alternative 90s stuff. I bought a bass for like 80 bucks at a garage sale. Even though I had never touched a bass guitar before, I picked up most the songs in no time. This was easy compared to classical music! I guess its kinda what started me playing bass, and then guitar.

3. Allman Brothers - Live at Filmore East. my mom and dad grew up very rural, so they didnt really listen to much rock and roll. Although my dad did like a lot of southern rock bands. He had this record, I listened to it a bunch. It was cool, because at that point, other than pure country, which I was gradually moving a way from, my dad didnt like much of the same music. When he found out I like this album, he introduced my to skynrd, 38 special, zztop as well, which gradually led me to get into classic rock. Probably about 8th grade ish.

4. Boston - Boston, this album obviously has hits top to bottom. I dont really listen to it much anymore, ive heard it so many times. I also started working as a freshman, and the older guys listened to classic rock radio, I realized the 90s alternative stuff was pretty lame compared to classic rock. I also remember when I got my drivers license, turned the keys to my "new" truck for the first time, "peace of mind" was on the radio

5. Revolver - The beatles - I really started to get into the beatles, pretty much got every album. I started to appreciate rock that was a little more sophisticated per say. I also go into pet sounds by the beach boys. I learned to accept that not all rock had to be really heavy

6. 2112 - Rush. I had a cousin who is an incredible bass player and drummer, he has a recording studio in Mobile. I went to hang with him. I knew Rush was his favorite band. We didnt even listen to rush when I was with him, but I looked up to him so much, I had to check them out. I had only heard the radio tunes (tom sawyer, closer to the heart). Picked up 2112 and it was game over. then got Fly by night, AFTK, hemisphere, Moving pictures......

I bought counterparts and Hold your fire, but really had the mentality that "old rush" was good, pretty much nothing past p/g. But it got me into rush thats for sure! probably was 16 at the time

7. Yes - Close to the Edge, My cousin was also a big "yes" fan.....so of course, I checked them out. Liked them, but never locked on immediately. I like roundabout, etc, but got close to the edge in college, and had that "lightbulb" moment, these guys werent just awesome musicians, but they made some amazing music

8. Vapor trails - I decided to give new rush a better look in college. I actually liked vapor trails a lot, and decided to give the other albums a fair shot. I really got into Power windows, and have gradually really learned to appreciate all the other ones (CP, Presto, T4E, etc)

9. Grace under pressure - My last semester of college, I had a broken cheap MP3 player. it was a spring semester in Ohio, which is pretty bleak. I was living in a crappy rental house with crackhead neighbors, taking 2 classes, and working at Kroger pushing shopping carts in the slush and snow. I was pretty dang poor, and for a month lived out of my 87 gmc jimmy which was rusted to all heck. The only thing on that MP3 player was p/g, which really seemed to fit my overall mood of that time period, which was pretty bleak. The album was my companion. I honestly dont listen to it much anymore

10. dream theater - images and words, one of my former students dads is in a rock band "teazur", they actually rock pretty well. We would talk about music, and he loves Rush. He gave me images and words, "You HAVE to listen to this", it helped me get into dream theater, which is now one of my favorite bands

11&12 (not in chronological order) - VH 1984 (another one of the albums that solidified my love of classic rock in high school

Def leppard - pyromania/hysteria, for some reason, I still love cranking some def leppard in the summer driving down broadway, windows down, hot humid night air on my way to going fishin

• Like 5

Here are some albums I feel truly had an impact on my life, if not quite as strong as my aforementioned twelve (although a couple deserve special mention):

Mastodon- Blood Mountain

Opeth- Ghost Reveries

Dillenger Escape Plan- Ire Works

Lacuna Coil- Unleashed Memories (deserved a top 12 spot)

Lacuna Coil- Comalies

Kylie Minogue- Impossible Princess

Funeral For A Friend- Hours

Fleetwood Mac- Tusk (one of my top three albums)

Fleetwood Mac- Mirage (helping me a lot with my depression)

Fightstar- Grand Unification

No Doubt- Tragic Kingdom

Jimmy Eat World- Clarity (arguably deserves a top twelve spot, definitely)

Mineral- End Serenading

Fleet Foxes- Fleet Foxes

Nightwish- Dark Passion Play

The Gathering- EVERYTHING WITH ANNEKE VAN GIERSBERGEN!!!

Taking Back Sunday- Louder Now

Thrice- Vheissu

Khoma- All Erodes

Muse- Black Holes And Revelations

Beyoncé Knowles- Dangerously In Love

Toto- IV

Toto- Fahrenheit (one of my all time favourite albums)

Michael Jackson- Thriller

Third Eye Blind- Third Eye Blind

Albums that I have heard to recently to deem truly life changing, but in the ling run may prive to be exactly that:

Massive Attack- Mezzanine

Leftfield- Leftism

Yes- Tales From Topographic Oceans

The Clash- London Calling

Madonna- Ray Of Light

Edited by Segue Myles

All the while I want to slap myself silly for not once mentioning:

THE BEACH BOYS- PET SOUNDS

I disgust myself, this album helped me grow as a young man, to understand I am not alone in feeling insecure...perfect...number 13.

• Like 2

The first seven Moody Blues' albums. Each one was (to me) a masterpiece that spoke to the deepest level of my soul and got me through the misfit teen years. It is not so much that they changed my life, but here was a band whose lyrics and music knew me without knowing me at all.

Quadrophenia - No words can describe what this album meant to me at the time, I had just turned twenty. I didn't want to, but I had no choice. ("Is it me for a moment?")

Close To The Edge - Came out about the same time as Quad. The two albums together at the same time caused an explosion. CTTE came in second place though. Nothing could top Quadrophenia.

Grace Under Pressure - Got me through one of the worst years (1984) of my life. Will always be grateful to Rush for this album.

That's the best I can do. All things considered.

• Like 9

I disgust myself, this album helped me grow as a young man, to understand I am not alone in feeling insecure...perfect...number 13.

:bitchslap:

• Like 1

:bitchslap:

Thanks..I needed that! Haha!!

• Like 1

These are not necessarily my 12 favorite albums, but they are 12 that changed my life to some degree

Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell

Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard of Ozz

AC/DC - Back in Black

Def Leppard - High N Dry

Van Halen - Women and Children First

Michael Jackson - Thriller

Pearl Jam - Ten

Duran Duran - Rio

Rush - Permanent Waves

The Beatles - 1962-1966

Kiss - Alive

The Monkees Greatest Hits

• Like 4

1. Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon. I remember listening to this when I was a young teenager. It was so angsty and so ethereal, unlike anything I'd ever heard.

2. The Who - Tommy. I remember going to see the movie when I was 15 or so and just loving it. Yes, it was silly in parts but it was so cool. Pete Townshend was such a visionary at the time.

3. The Who - Quadrophenia. Best Who Album ever. There's nothing about it I don't like. I remember thinking when I first started playing bass that I could ever nail The Real Me I'd really be a good bass player. Still can't nail it. :LOL:

4. Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. This album is perfect. I wore out several vinyl copies before CD's finally came out. First song I ever learned was Funeral For a Friend.

5. Rush - A Farewell To Kings. My first Rush album and Xanadu was my first Rush song. I remember being blown away by the bass playing. I'd never heard anyone play like that before. Started a lifetime of love with this band.

6. Emerson Lake and Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery. The musicianship on this album (and any of their albums) is just amazing. I wish we had more bands doing this sort of thing today. Especially ones that can write good songs.

7. The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. I loved the diversity of music on this album. A Day In The LIfe is still one of my favorite Beatles songs.

8.Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy - I loved the diversity on this album. From D'y er Mak'er to The Crunge.

9. The Who - Who's Next. Perfect album from beginning to end. And that cover is just funny. :)

10. Carole King - Tapestry. - The perfect songwriters album. The songs are so memorable and beautiful and shows what you can do with a good song, and very few instruments.

11. The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Electric Ladyland. Crosstown Traffic, Voodoo Chile and All Along the Watchtower. Loved Stevie Ray Vaughan years later for his covers of these (and his guitar playing) :)

12. Paul McCartney and Wings - Band on the Run. Jet was the first song I heard off of this album, then I had to go out and buy it. Still the best album he's put out on his own, IMO.

• Like 7

These are my prized possessions to this day. Most of these are the first albums from the various artists I bought and wore out in my room during a very awkward time in my life. Ages 16-18. Lonely, no girl friend, hated school etc. These gave me comfort and something special that was mine.....

1. All The World's A Stage my first and best album purchase to this day. More special to me than I could ever put in to words.

2. Sad Wings Of Destiny Judas Priest my second album purchase ever.

3. Let There Be Rock AC/DC incredible "hard rock" record. Only gets better and better with time.

4. In Trance Scorpions wore this one out early on too.

5. Yes Songs Yes nothing need be said.

6. A Farewell To Kings My first new release Rush record. Super special to me.

7. Strangers In The Night UFO on of the best live records ever for me anyway. Michael Schenker at his best.

8. Van Halen Van Halen completely unexpected and changed the game for me and was a shot in the arm my senior year in high school. Incredible!

9. Infinity Journey a high school favorite. My future wife loved them too.

10. Back In Black AC/DC being a gigantic fan of this band the reasons should be obvious for this one being special. RIP Bon :rose:

11. Double Live Gonzo Ted Nugent wore this one out. Stranglehold and Great White Buffalo are worth it by themselves.

12. Tormato Yes beautiful record start to finish.

Honorable mention..... Going For The One Yes Awaken gives me chills just typing this....

These special ones and many more got me through some major puberty issues and lonely times..... :)

Edited by Narpzilla
  • Like 5

First one is a single, but it's important enough to include because it started the whole damn thing. Otherwise, in sort of chronological order:

Beatles - "Eight Days a Week" - My very first recorded music purchase. After the Beatles' early stuff I went into a musical slumber (damn you one-hit wonder pop and disco!) until...

Boston - Boston - Melody and power chords and a unique guitar sound...slumber awakened.

Aerosmith - Toys in the Attic - Hello, hard rock. The title track was possibly my first air guitar song. Took up guitar for real soon after.

Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti - Not-so-simple rock...we're getting warmer...

Kansas - Leftoverture - First taste of prog...this was a game changer for me, and set the tone for most everything that followed.

Lynyrd Skynyrd - One More From the Road - Started a southern rock phase for me. "Freebird" was one of the first songs learned in my first garage band.

Pink Floyd - Animals - "Dogs" creeped me out, and I liked it.

Ted Nugent - Cat Scratch Fever - My first guitar hero. Didn't take long to outgrow him, though...

Van Halen - Van Halen I - Ted who? Another game changer.

Al Di Meola - Casino - Never got too into the whole guitar shredder scene, but the musicality of guys like Di Meola and Allan Holdsworth caught my ear.

Rush - Permanent Waves - The perfect marriage of all the aforementioned albums/bands. Heaviness, progginess, atmosphere, stellar playing. Holy shit.

Yes - Close To The Edge - Caught onto this after hearing "Hemispheres," and a love of long-form prog was born.

Not the most diverse list, but all these albums and bands opened doors to many other genres. I can even appreciate some of that one-hit wonder pop from the '70s now.

• Like 5

The first seven Moody Blues' albums. Each one was (to me) a masterpiece that spoke to the deepest level of my soul and got me through the misfit teen years. It is not so much that they changed my life, but here was a band whose lyrics and music knew me without knowing me at all.

Quadrophenia - No words can describe what this album meant to me at the time, I had just turned twenty. I didn't want to, but I had no choice. ("Is it me for a moment?")

Close To The Edge - Came out about the same time as Quad. The two albums together at the same time caused an explosion. CTTE came in second place though. Nothing could top Quadrophenia.

Grace Under Pressure - Got me through one of the worst years (1984) of my life. Will always be grateful to Rush for this album.

Welcome back, Lorraine! :hug2:

• Like 3

Welcome back, Lorraine! :hug2:

A capital A- men to that....... :cheers:
  • Like 3

Let me give it a shot. Albums are roughly chronological according to when I first heard them.

Sex Pistols - Never Mind the Bullocks -- I was 13 or 14 when this came out, and would do radio shows on my best friend's older brother's pirate radio station. I liked this album then but at the time didn't realize its significance. But I will credit it for letting me know there was more to music than all of the dinosaur rock being played on commercial radio.

Cheap Trick - Heaven Tonight -- This came out when I was 14. It was one of the first albums I chose & bought myself (versus getting random albums as a gift), and CT became my first "favourite band." They were also the first concert I went to.

Rush - Permanent Waves -- The first album I heard from them, and, well, since I'm here that should tell you the impact it had on my life.

Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast -- Although I had been listening to other heavy bands such as Van Halen and AC/DC, this may have been my first "heavy metal" album. Regardless, I think it's Maiden's best, and I still love it today.

Ultravox - Lament/Quartet/Vienna (I can't remember which one I bought first) -- After Rush's Signals came out I read an interview with them that said their recent keyboard style had been influenced by some band called Ultravox. So I started listening to Ultravox and that drew me into the rabbit hole of "new wave" music.

Killing Joke - Night Time -- I couldn't tell you why this was "life-changing," but I have to at least give KJ a mention on a list of bands/albums that are important to me.

U2 - The Unforgettable Fire -- I heard their War album before TUF came out, but I'm listing this album as this tour was the first time I saw U2 live, and seeing them changed my life. Seriously, they used to be sofa king good live.

Big Country - The Crossing/Steeltown (I always listened to these together so I don't really know which is which) -- BC taught me that good rhythm sections can be found in "alternative"-type bands.

Bauhaus - Press the Eject and Give Me the Tape -- This was one of those bands I had heard about, and I got this album to try and get to know them. I still remember listening to the tape in my car, slightly weirded out by how bizarre the music was. I got over that pretty quickly.

Front 242 - Front By Front -- One of the first industrial albums I really liked, which led me down another huge rabbit hole.

Sheep on Drugs - Greatest Hits -- This is notable because it was a "gateway drug" that got me to start listening to some types of techno/electronic music.

Rush - Clockwork Angels -- Life-changing because it made me realize these guys can still make music I really like, and because with this tour I decided I will see them live as often as (somewhat reasonably) possible so long as they continue touring.

• Like 5

I forgot about Boston, Journey and Kansas. Those three were huge. I guess this needs to be a top 20 albums instead of 12.

I'm sure I'll keep remembering other albums that should have been on my list, as well.

Big Country - The Crossing/Steeltown (I always listened to these together so I don't really know which is which) -- BC taught me that good rhythm sections can be found in "alternative"-type bands.

Big Country's rhythm section on those albums was Tony Butler on bass, and Mark Brzezicki on drums. They also played together on parts of Pete Townshend's "Empty Glass" album.

• Like 1

I forgot about Boston, Journey and Kansas. Those three were huge. I guess this needs to be a top 20 albums instead of 12.

I'm sure I'll keep remembering other albums that should have been on my list, as well.

I could add a few to mine, too!