2014 MLB Season Thread

RUSHHEAD666

Brewers 4

Pirates 2

The Crew laid off Liriano's nasty breaking stuff, and waited for the good stuff. Two clutch homers in a tight game......

That's SEVEN straight wins for the Brew Crew!! :haz: :haz:

It's the Blue Jays home opener tonight against the Yankees. We just completed the opening ceremonies. The Yankees were booed (no surprise).

Roy Halladay threw out the ceremonial first pitch - I love that guy and sure miss him.

OK Blue Jays, let's play ball.

The fans shouldn't have booed the Yankees.. it woke them up and they scored 2 runs top of the 1st.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Mzt0AXxKmc4/UVdKm4BPngI/AAAAAAAAAvw/uqiYpy35yoU/s320/bear+and+stick1.png

Brewers 3 (8 straight wins!)

Pirates 2

A rare double play in Milwaukee tonight. 2 to 6 to 1..... :o Pop up behind home plate leads to Starling Marte getting thrown out at home! Reliever Jim Henderson makes the tag!!

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/47078472/v32039419/must-c-caught-crew-turns-unconventional-double-play/?c_id=mil

• Like 2

Alex Cobb follows Matt Moore on the DL, 2/5s of the Rays rotation sidelined with arm trouble...

Nova going for the Yanks tonight against Doubront and the Sux…either a slugfest or a pitcher's duel—this should be fun. :| Edited by Disk98

Nova going for the Yanks tonight against Doubront and the Sux…either a slugfest or a pitcher's duel—this should be fun. :|

o/u on the time of game: 3:48

Nova going for the Yanks tonight against Doubront and the Sux…either a slugfest or a pitcher's duel—this should be fun. :|

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130222005748/planetoftheapes/images/thumb/9/91/Nova4.jpg/138px-Nova4.jpg

Hottest pitcher ever.

• Like 1

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130222005748/planetoftheapes/images/thumb/9/91/Nova4.jpg/138px-Nova4.jpg

Hottest pitcher ever.

Nah...

http://cdn.www.babble.com/babble-voices/working-moms-lifestyle-samantha-ettus/files/2013/01/Jennie-Finch-softball.jpg

Brewers' 2nd baseman Scooter Gennett strikes out on a pitch in the dirt with runners on 2nd & 3rd.

Pirate catcher Tony Sanchez promptly throws the ball into right field.....two runs score on a strikeout! :huh:

• Like 1

Brewers' 2nd baseman Scooter Gennett strikes out on a pitch in the dirt with runners on 2nd & 3rd.

Pirate catcher Tony Sanchez promptly throws the ball into right field.....two runs score on a strikeout! :huh:

:LOL:

Maybe he's got money on the game?

o/u on the time of game: 3:48

Over. I say about 4:05.

So, the new "transfer" rule got put to the test today in Seattle. Of all the problems baseball has, this is what needed to be fixed?

SEATTLE -- The baseball season will be two weeks old Sunday, and it seems as if the sport is oddly different.

The A's beat the Mariners 3-1 Saturday night, and they got the usual good pitching from Sonny Gray and the bullpen and some timely hitting.

But two transfer plays, plays that would have been routine outs in the past, had the A's a little off balance.

In the third inning and again in the sixth, Mariners left fielder Dustin Ackley dropped the ball transferring it from his glove to his throwing hand. The new interpretation of that is it's not an out, much to the general dismay.

"I don't like it,'' third baseman Josh Donaldson said. He was forced to go back to first base in the third when Brandon Moss' fly to left was caught, then not, by Ackley. Moss was credited with an RBI single, then was called out for having passed Donaldson, who thought the ball had been caught and who was retreating to first base as Moss was rounding the bag.

"I've been playing baseball for over 20 years, and that's always been an out,'' said Donaldson, whose two-run, first-inning homer was the decisive blow for Oakland. "It's similar to football where you have to catch the ball, then come down with your feet before it's a catch.

"When the ball's in the glove, it's a catch.''

http://www.mercuryne...eattle-mariners

On the upside, A's take 2 of 3 from the M's. :dweez: Up 1.5 games in the AL West, and Coco Crisp is back.

Edited by goose

So, the new "transfer" rule got put to the test today in Seattle. Of all the problems baseball has, this is what needed to be fixed?

SEATTLE -- The baseball season will be two weeks old Sunday, and it seems as if the sport is oddly different.

The A's beat the Mariners 3-1 Saturday night, and they got the usual good pitching from Sonny Gray and the bullpen and some timely hitting.

But two transfer plays, plays that would have been routine outs in the past, had the A's a little off balance.

In the third inning and again in the sixth, Mariners left fielder Dustin Ackley dropped the ball transferring it from his glove to his throwing hand. The new interpretation of that is it's not an out, much to the general dismay.

"I don't like it,'' third baseman Josh Donaldson said. He was forced to go back to first base in the third when Brandon Moss' fly to left was caught, then not, by Ackley. Moss was credited with an RBI single, then was called out for having passed Donaldson, who thought the ball had been caught and who was retreating to first base as Moss was rounding the bag.

"I've been playing baseball for over 20 years, and that's always been an out,'' said Donaldson, whose two-run, first-inning homer was the decisive blow for Oakland. "It's similar to football where you have to catch the ball, then come down with your feet before it's a catch.

On the upside, A's take 2 of 3 from the M's. :dweez: Up 1.5 games in the AL West, and Coco Crisp is back.

I'm kind of glad they're fixing this. Can the neighborhood play be far behind?

What was broken?

As for the neighborhood play, that's merely a question of enforcing a rule already in existence.

A's are enfuego

Brewers were my preseason darkhorse for making noise in the NL.....So far they are looking good to.

Pirates bats have yet to heat up

:LOL:

Maybe he's got money on the game?

He sure does! I gave him quite a bit.....;)

The argument for the neighborhood play being non-renewable is to protect the infielders.

Making it reviewable would not change a thing, I don't think. I hope it's not too far behind.

3 out of 4 from Boston—way to go, Yanks! Red Sux fall to 5-8, Yanks at 7-6 and tied for first. Off day today, waiting for the Cubbies to come in tomorrow. Tanaka time…

Can the neighborhood play be far behind?

The argument for the neighborhood play being non-renewable is to protect the infielders.

Making it reviewable would not change a thing, I don't think. I hope it's not too far behind.

Just my opinion, but having your foot on the bag and making a real out (instead of a phantom out) is more important than an infielder's risk of injury. All other infielders have to have their foot on the bag/plate to record the out, so 2nd base should not be an exception. Infielders can always make the choice of going for the double play or not going for it....if they're that scared of getting hurt.

If certain infielders are scared of getting hurt at 2nd base, then they can always get different jobs. Risk of injury is part of any sport, so they should man up and deal with it.