Bands you like, but are embarrassed to admit that you like

Brucey

I think if you like something, you like it. Now occasionally you grow weary or out of a style...or come to realize something you were excited about once didn't age so well, but in most cases if I liked it "then" I probably still do now. I've grown a bit weary of some of the hair band era stuff (the Kiss records from that era that I once doted over, now...not so much), but it depends on who that is too. But I grew up on The Bee Gees and The Eagles and Elton John. They were the soundtrack to my formative years...the songs playing in the "Stand By Me" movie of my childhood, if you will. I remember them fondly.

Every time I hear New Kid In Town I'm immediately drawn back to that year and hearing that cut on the radio. Another one like that was Elton and Kiki Dee's Don't Go Breakin' My Heart or McCartney's Silly Love Songs. It's not just a nostalgic tug either. Those were fun songs. I wish today's pop songs were so well written, but they're not in my evaluation.

Edited by Presto-digitation
  • Like 1

Though there are no bands that I like that I am embarrassed of, there are songs I am embarrassed of liking. I can't help it, but I like late 90s novelty songs (some not all). Being born in 1994 it was hard not to catch onto songs like Cotton-Eyed Joe at school dances when I was only 6. I can't help but keep a soft spot for songs like that as it was part of my childhood (along with alot of widley accepted good music). Also one other song I am embarrassed about (depends whose asking really but here, it is definite) is called Cartoon Heroes by Aqua, the same group that did the song Barbie Girl (which I find to be one of the most annoying songs in the world, and refuse to listen to it, even if the lyrics actually bash the toy and what it stands for). But that other song, it is so over the top, so cheesy with the synth orchestra, but yet something about it just keeps pulling me back. Most people from the states probably have never heard of it, but in Canada (where apparantly one in 30 canadians owns their debut album) as well as europe, the song was big.

Not really a 'band' I'm in to, but I REALLY dig that "I like to make myself believe that planet earth turns slowly" track.

I don't even know who it is or what it's called, but I hear it on the musak intercom at work every day. It's a high point in the rotation along with Dido's Hunter and James Taylor's Fire and Rain.

Edited by KenJennings

Some extreme forms of music such as Black Metal I suppose. Not because I think it's a guilty pleasure or that it's actually embarrassing, but actually explaining what makes the genre endearing to me is quite difficult for the average person to comprehend. The harshness is just too much for a lot of people to overcome.

Also bands that feature musicians who are generally awful people but make great music. A lot of people have a hard time separating an artist's moral character from their musical accomplishments, so explaining why I like Burzum without a lot of awkwardness is kind if hard (For those unfamiliar, the man behind Burzum murdered a man and burnt down a couple of churches). I have no problem differentiating the two, but that seems to be a skill that's hard for a lot of people to come by and for that reason, I prefer to not mention that I like those kinds of bands.

Embarrassed!? What? Who gives a shit. 12 year old must have started this topic. It's music. I could give a flying f**k peoples opinon of the music I or anyone enjoys listening to. I mean what are you suppose to do with this information. Oh my god. Jimmy listens to Duran Duran! Hire an airplane to write jimmy likes Duran Duran in the sky with smoke. Get the news involved. Twitter that so and so likes this or that and it's embarrassing! This forum is just sad at times.

If an artist or band is successful there you go. No one cares what music you play. It's like saying I don't like the tone of your voice. Your hair is to dark. Your mommy is hot. Your cars tires are not wide enough. Pot holes on the road need to be repaired. Embarrassed by music? WTF!

http://images.iherb.com/l/FBS-00340-3.jpg

• Like 1

I've always had to keep my enjoyment of Creed on the down low. :ph34r:

Tremonti is a beast guitarist.

But Alter Bridge are 300,000×infinity superior.

Still...never sure why people are against Creed, they are ok...kinda...well...I have heard worse..

• Like 1

I cant believe Im saying this, and I never thought I would like any artist from 2000, but I heard a song like 2 - 3 years ago, and I liked it..

I have never said this to anyone in real life, and never will, I only listen to this music in secret, because its totally different from the music I normally listen to...: Rush, Magenta, Marillion, Opeth, Ozzy Oosbourne

The artist that I listen to in secret is.. P!nk.

I dont know why I like her, the instruments are simple and boring, and the lyrics are just about love-shit, and that sucks. But its something with her voice that makes me wanna listen to it.

This secret will come with me when I die, because I am so embarrased..

• Like 1

Bee Gees.

Yes disco still sucks.. My email is even discosucks@live.ca.. but dammit sometimes that shit just gets in your head and takes over!

I think "you should be dancing" is my fav.. Now excuse me while I go wash my ears out with soap and put on hemispheres!

Bee Gees.

Yes disco still sucks.. My email is even discosucks@live.ca.. but dammit sometimes that shit just gets in your head and takes over!

I think "you should be dancing" is my fav.. Now excuse me while I go wash my ears out with soap and put on hemispheres!

The Bee Gees were much more than a disco band. They were a pretty good pop band. I love "I've Gotta Get a Message to You".

Bee Gees.

The Bee Gees were much more than a disco band. They were a pretty good pop band. I love "I've Gotta Get a Message to You".

Oh I know, and being a Beatles fan I'm sure you like their early stuff!

Bee Gees.

Yes I'm quoting my own post.. I just noticed the picture in the post above mine.. Damn that worked out nice!

Some extreme forms of music such as Black Metal I suppose. Not because I think it's a guilty pleasure or that it's actually embarrassing, but actually explaining what makes the genre endearing to me is quite difficult for the average person to comprehend. The harshness is just too much for a lot of people to overcome.

Also bands that feature musicians who are generally awful people but make great music. A lot of people have a hard time separating an artist's moral character from their musical accomplishments, so explaining why I like Burzum without a lot of awkwardness is kind if hard (For those unfamiliar, the man behind Burzum murdered a man and burnt down a couple of churches). I have no problem differentiating the two, but that seems to be a skill that's hard for a lot of people to come by and for that reason, I prefer to not mention that I like those kinds of bands.

black metal, like a lot of great and rewarding music, is an acquired taste

• Like 1

Bee Gees.

I can still find bags of merit in disco: Donna Summer, Chic, Bee Gees and Michael Jackson to name a few...yes I'm ashamed! :facepalm:

Bee Gees.

I can still find bags of merit in disco: Donna Summer, Chic, Bee Gees and Michael Jackson to name a few...yes I'm ashamed! :facepalm:

Michael Jackson is one of the all time greats. No need to feel shame!

The only time in my life I ever embarrassed myself music-wise was the day I bought Thriller, but that's because Michael Jackson was such a pop star at the time, and I was already pushing thirty. I quickly got over it though. I loved that album.

Other than that, my taste in music has always been all over the place. If I liked something, I liked it, and that was that.

• Like 3

Bee Gees.

You named four artists who are incredibly influential and creative.

"I Feel Love" is mesmerizing. Heck, Brian Eno told David Bowie it was the future of music. Krautrock plus R&B = brilliant.

• Like 1

Bee Gees.

Oh I know, and being a Beatles fan I'm sure you like their early stuff!

Their early stuff is the best - from their first "hit" until about 1969. If you have any of those albums, you will know what I mean.

:musicnote: And apple is a fruit

But lemons never do forget :musicnote:

:)

Bee Gees.

You named four artists who are incredibly influential and creative.

"I Feel Love" is mesmerizing. Heck, Brian Eno told David Bowie it was the future of music. Krautrock plus R&B = brilliant.

Excellent! I'm glad we can finally agree on something :LOL:

The only time in my life I ever embarrassed myself music-wise was the day I bought Thriller, but that's because Michael Jackson was such a pop star at the time, and I was already pushing thirty. I quickly got over it though. I loved that album.

Other than that, my taste in music has always been all over the place. If I liked something, I liked it, and that was that.

Yep, only way to be. It was always a perverse kick to reel off my faves and watch friends walk away exasperated, lol. Off the Wall is an incredible piece of work as well, I think I even like it over Thriller tbh.