First rush album on cd

chasekratzer

I remember buying HYF - so it wasn't Presto. Back in the late eighties, they didn't automatically transfer everything from vinyl to CD when the format was still too new.

I DO remember that on one specific day back around '88 when my college roommate and myself discovered that there were many Rush albums that were FINALLY being released on CD on a particular day! I think it was everything from 2112 through PeW (he bought the former, I bought the latter on that day). That COULD have been before the release date for HYF - I don't remember.

I would think you could find that info somewhere on the net.....

Clem

My first one was Hold Your Fire .

I`m pretty sure it was the first , I have bought all the Rush albums as they`ve come out so I know its not Presto

The first NEW one was Power Windows. (At least in the US) A friend of mine bought it because he had a CD player. Moving Pictures, Signals and Grace Under Pressure were out before that (He had those too), but I'm unsure as to the order they came out.

I bought my first CD player SPECIFICALLY because Rush through Permanent Waves were finally being issued on CD. In fact, I bought Hemispheres and Permanent Waves about a month before I bought my CD player so I would make sure they I had them ( CDs were still pretty limited then.) How nutty is that? Moving Pictures, Signals and Grace Under Pressure were already available on CD which is why they weren't issued with he others.

All The World's A Stage and Exit...Stage Left were both issued about six months later, but they were each missing a track because CDs only held abut 74 minutes then instead of 80. Those two missing live tracks would later be released on CD as part of the Chronicles collection.

The first NEW one was Power Windows. (At least in the US) A friend of mine bought it because he had a CD player. Moving Pictures, Signals and Grace Under Pressure were out before that (He had those too), but I'm unsure as to the order they came out.

I bought my first CD player SPECIFICALLY because Rush through Permanent Waves were finally being issued on CD. In fact, I bought Hemispheres and Permanent Waves about a month before I bought my CD player so I would make sure they I had them ( CDs were still pretty limited then.) How nutty is that? Moving Pictures, Signals and Grace Under Pressure were already available on CD which is why they weren't issued with he others.

All The World's A Stage and Exit...Stage Left were both issued about six months later, but they were each missing a track because CDs only held abut 74 minutes then instead of 80. Those two missing live tracks would later be released on CD as part of the Chronicles collection.

I agree. The first new album I can remember being released on CD was Power Windows. Mind you we were a little behind here in Canada. I had to go to the States to get the first three albums on CD.

• Like 1

The first simultaneous NEW release, meaning the day the album came out so did the CD was Power Windows.

I remember buying it at my local record store on day 1.

From memory the first RUSH CD I remember to EVER be released was Moving Pictures.. but I wouldn't walk across fire for that one.

• Like 1

I bought Moving Pictures and Signals in late 83 or early 84 on CD. I didn't get my first CD player until July of 1984. The firstvversion of Moving Pictures was defective; the first half seconf of Tom Sawyer was missing. I found GraceUnder Pressure within the next year. I bought Power Windows on vinyl on the release day, and the CD followed about a week or two later. After that I stopped buying vinyl and the CD was always available on the release day.

The first one I bought on CD when it was new was Hold Your Fire, but those who've said Power Windows, I believe it.

I got my first CD player for Christmas when I was 13, and that was 1986. I was in the hospital, too, just about 24 hours out of surgery (great time to get all my Christmas presents, right??) :P

The change to CD's came during Hold Your Fire! I remember debating on which media format to listen too. :banghead: :musicnote: :banghead:

That was during the time when CDs were becoming very popular. In the tour book for HYF, Neil mentions that they added 2 songs for that album since people "rarely bought albums or cassettes anymore" and the CD format allowed for more time.

Power Windows was probably released on "day one" but I don't think most people had a CD player yet....

Clem

• Like 1

Power Windows was definitely the first simultaneous new release.

My copy of the vinyl (which I bought the day of release) says on the bottom back cover "also available on cassette and compact disc" and I remember thinking "oh man I need to get a CD player one of these days..."

A couple years later in late 1987, I finally did get a CD player, and HYF was my first CD (bought a couple months after I had already bought the vinyl but I didn't care. ;) ) I'm pretty sure PoW ended up being my second-ever CD and Moving Pictures was third. By the time I was off to college in 1988 I'm pretty sure I had the whole Rush catalog on CD. A Show of Hands was the first Rush release I didn't get on vinyl.

Edited by Bangster of Goats
  • Like 1

The first simultaneous NEW release, meaning the day the album came out so did the CD was Power Windows.

I remember buying it at my local record store on day 1.

From memory the first RUSH CD I remember to EVER be released was Moving Pictures.. but I wouldn't walk across fire for that one.

^^This

I remember that I bought Moving Pictures in 1984 and I didn't have a clue what a CD is back then.

I didn't get A Show Of Hands on vinyl until few years after it came out when I decided I should probably have all of the vinyl too.

I think I'm still missing a Canadian vinyl copy of that.

I'm thinking those reissues on CD came out the summer before Hold Your Fire because I bought both the vinyl and CD the day Hold Your Fire came out and I'm pretty sure I had all of the studio albums on CD at that point.

As of Wikipedia, power windows wasn't realesed on cd until 1997, and that was a remaster.

Wikipedia is wrong then (Wikipedia wrong ? nawwwwww........). I bought Power Windows on CD on day of release.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y288/Bluefunk/Rush/Bluefunk_0102-Feb-142217.jpg

As of Wikipedia, power windows wasn't realesed on cd until 1997, and that was a remaster.

Wikipedia is wrong then (Wikipedia wrong ? nawwwwww........). I bought Power Windows on CD on day of release.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y288/Bluefunk/Rush/Bluefunk_0102-Feb-142217.jpg

You go!! :wub: :)
  • Like 1

Thanks! I have always wondering about this!

• Like 1

Thanks! I have always wondering about this!

Well, I don't know whether it's correct or not, I was just trying to clear up the debate about what Wikipedia actually says! :P

HYF was the first release where CD was the intended format. I believe Moving Pictures, Signals, Grace Under Pressure and Power Windows came out before as rereleases then Rush, FBN, CoS, 2112 and then the live albums (to that point, pre SoH). I bought HYF on CD the day it came out. Lent it to a friend and never asked for it back. Got it again as part of the sectors and reluctantly added it to iTunes recently.

I think I still have the long boxes for the first set of rereleases.