Thoughts on Snakes and Arrows?

The Analog Cub

Can we get this thread back on point and discuss a good album....... :sarcastic:

In no thread with S&A in the title should a good album be discussed.

It would be a mockery of everything S&A stands for... plodding mediocrity.

Edited by laughedatbytime
  • Like 1

Counterparts is still great...can't think of anything I'd skip on there.

Occasionally I skip the great songs just so I can hear the even better ones!

• Like 2

Only other time I've been as disappointed on first listen was T4E. T4E ended up growing on me but SnA stil hasn't all the way. Defintely towards the bottom of the Rush catalog for me. It's not horrible, but the last thing I'm looking for on a new Rush release is a bunch of slow/mid tempo folk tinged songs.

Rush committed what I consider the worst offense any rock band could commit with the Snakes album: It's boring. Rock albums can be overwrought, over produced, silly, cheesy, off the wall, convoluted, but just never be f***ing BORING

• Like 1

I didn't try listening to S& A until about a year ago when I watched the making of Snakes and Arrows video. That and reading some of Neil's books gave me the incentive to check it out. I prefer a lot of the versions on the Time Machine/S&A Live cds. Like with all albums of any group, there are some I do skip and listen to the ones I like. Far Cry and Working them angels are the best, but I usually skip the Larger Bowl and everything after Hope, with the exception of Mal Nar. Took some time but I have learned to enjoy the album overall

This is not a criticism of you at all so please don't take my comments that way. This is my problem with the later stuff in general. I admittedly don't know that material as well but when I hear about skipping this and that it makes me wonder. There is nothing on any album pre 1986 that I ever skip or even want too. I am not sure what that all means, but your post just hit me as very honest and yet familiar at the same time. Thanks Rhyta.... :)

Nothing you want to skip on PoW or GuP?

But I do understand what you're saying. Other than some songs on the first album, there's nothing I will regularly skip on any album from MP back. CA is actually the closest that I've come to that feeling since then. Having said that, I recognize that T4E isn't the band's best work, but there's nothing on there that I regularly skip either. There are just fewer amazing songs than on other albums.

It may seem wrong to skip tracks but I don't see it that way. I have done this with all the groups I have loved over time, even the Beatles! I always listen to the full album a couple of times when I first get it but there are always favorites on each one that I prefer. :finbar:

Snakes and Arrows is magnificant. I have had so many fond memories listening to this album, and for that reason I adore it. That being said, it is not Rush's best album—but it is very well produced. Probably bottom 3 of all their albums, but it is still an incredible album. That just goes to show how amazing Rush is—a fairly weak album in their history, yet still a phenomenal album throughout.
  • Like 1

Snakes And Arrows is becoming one of my favourites lately, even Spindrift has started to make sense! Actually proving to be a more than solid Rush album, I think its acoustic vibe makes it very unique, and a lot of the lyrics are beautiful! The second half especially is beginning to really stand out as something special...like Power Windows, I think this is he dark horse of their albums. It starts off being a bland Rush album, months (in this case years) later it becomes a favourite!

The second half especially is beginning to really stand out as something special...

I think S&A delivers all of its special material early on. The second half has a number of pretty good songs, and I'd say some of them are underrated (particularly Good News First), but none of them strike me as being special.

The second half especially is beginning to really stand out as something special...

I think S&A delivers all of its special material early on. The second half has a number of pretty good songs, and I'd say some of them are underrated (particularly Good News First), but none of them strike me as being special.

I should have clarified, I mean "special" in the context of the last four/five albums. Nothing here comes close to the bands early classics!

I should have clarified, I mean "special" in the context of the last four/five albums. Nothing here comes close to the bands early classics!

Eh, even then... I'd gladly take Earthshine or Driven or a whole bunch of songs on Counterparts or Clockwork Angels over the likes of Bravest Face.

CA is the only album of the last five I would rank above this. I really can't get into anything on VT, and CP I find a little insipid, very good songs, not a great album. SA is really growing on me! It's not quite as good as CA, but all the songs I liked before I now love, and the ones I really disliked (ie. Spindrift) I now really, really like! And the second half is getting more and more enjoyable as I replay it!

Edited by Segue Myles

Replace S&A with Counterparts there and it becomes my thoughts exactly, lol.

Mick

I think I need to play CP again. I have (early) mixed feelings about this album!

CA is the only album of the last five I would rank above this. I really can't get into anything on VT, and CP I find a little insipid, very good songs, not a great album. SA is really growing on me! It's not quite as good as CA, but all the songs I liked before I now love, and the ones I really disliked (ie. Spindrift) I now really, really like! And the second half is getting more and more enjoyable as I replay it!

Right, I like it too, and I rank it above TFE and VT myself. But we were talking about your comment that the second half of it is special. I was just saying I don't agree with that assessment, even if I go by your "just considering the recent material" clause.

I think I need to play CP again. I have (early) mixed feelings about this album!

Me too.......I always thought that should have been an EP. I remember a huge drop off in the 2nd half.

Mick

Leave That Thing Alone and Cold Fire don't represent a foundering album to me.

• Like 1

Right, I like it too, and I rank it above TFE and VT myself. But we were talking about your comment that the second half of it is special. I was just saying I don't agree with that assessment, even if I go by your "just considering the recent material" clause.

Me too.......I always thought that should have been an EP. I remember a huge drop off in the 2nd half.

Mick

Leave That Thing Alone and Cold Fire don't represent a foundering album to me.

Leave that Thing Alone I agree. Cold Fire.....Meh.

But.....I do intend to listen Again.

Mick

• Like 1

I guess patchy albums are better than half a career full of duds. Although I would proclaim VT a dud, enough fans enjoy it for me to happily agree that Rush are the most consistent rock band in history! I think thats very impressive, and although I don't claim them to be the greatest, I do think they are wonderful and individual enough to stand tall against other genre giants.

For my money, they are better than Yes, Tull, Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Queen, most Fleetwood Mac (but not all) and the like. But Zeppelin and Beatles really are, for me, the major rivals. Maybe second to Beatles? I still have a lot of bands to discover, and Zeppelin I have barely touched, considering I have highly praised them (what I do have, however, is enough material to justify "mindblowing").

Rush are amazing...

• Like 3

Got counterparts going now. Same problem as always. There's that drop-off, lol. After Between Sun and Moon....it flat lines only to fight back on Leave That Thing Alone. Then it's bye-bye. So It's better then nothing.

Mick

• Like 1

Got counterparts going now. Same problem as always. There's that drop-off, lol. After Between Sun and Moon....it flat lines only to fight back on Leave That Thing Alone. Then it's bye-bye. So It's better then nothing.

Mick

For me, it plummets into a pit with Nobody's Hero and Between Sun and Moon. But then it gets going again.

Ok, finished playing SA. The second half isn't special at all (stoopid mind playing tricks with me!)