Perfect album sides?

Rutlefan

In another thread Re-Rushed commented that Side I of Moving Pictures is perfect. Too true, so what other album sides qualify? I'm thinking that means not only sides that have no weak tracks, but that the tracks perfectly compliment one another, or flow into one another. Too early for me to think too hard, but here's my very non-eclectic start:

Rush Moving Pictures Side I (most perfect side of all)

Rush Hemispheres Side II

Rush 2112 Side i and Side II

The Beatles Abbey Road Side II

Radiohead OK Computer Side I

Yes Close to the Edge Side II

Led Zeppelin IV Side I and Side II

Led Zeppelin Physical Graffiti Side II and Side III

Rod Stewart Every Picture Tells a Story Side II

Queen A Night at the Opera Side I

If The Clash had spread their stronger Sandinista! songs over two discs instead of three, leaving the remainder for a great bootleg or extras album, they probably could have made four perfect sides. As it is, sides I, II, and IV still come close.

Edited by Rutlefan

Nice topic, though it's hard for me to think in terms of sides these days...

Side 1 of Moving Pictures might be the best album side ever, but the first side of Grace Under Pressure isn't too far behind it.

Every single second of Close to the Edge is perfect (and I mean the title track plus the two other songs), so I guess that album qualifies twice for this.

ELP's Tarkus epic is amazing, and side 2 of that album would be perfect as well if not for the final track.

For a dark horse, side 1 of Gentle Giant's Octopus is very strong.

• Like 1

Just curious how side II of Hemisphere's you consider perfect but not side I???

Easy I think. And since you said you're curious, I'll give you an answer to rival a mythic Rush anthem about the duality of human nature.

Though Hemispheres is my favorite Rush album, and among my handful of favorite albums by anyone, I think the title track is pretty sketchy in several places. Not saying Hemispheres side I is not great, but it's far from perfect. Besides the manifest clunkiness (like the music backing "I bring truth and understanding, ...." for example) and inelegant transitions (IMO), much of lyrics are somewhat hokey ("I see the gods in battle rage on high..."), and I've never been able to tolerate the saccharine sentiments of the final part, The Sphere. Master of subtlety Neil is not; for someone who bristles at the pronouncements of those he sees as irrational demagogues, he tends to be very preachy in a "I know better than you" kind of way, which he'll spell out in usually painfully obvious terms. Hemispheres Side I is an example. Like Closer to the Heart and Cinderella Man, his chiding that we should do/be better is fairly abstract and friendly (can't disagree with the sentiments, it's the "Has it occurred to anyone else that we should be nicer to each other?" obviousness of it all), whereas with songs like Anthem, Something for Nothing, and Freewill (among many others) he tends to be speaking down to the ignorant and lazy among us unwashed masses (Ayn Rand had a word for the Collective; I don't remember what it is). I mostly like Neil's lyrics of this period of Rush, but I always thought that Cygnus X-1 and Hemispheres (the song) play into the hands of his harshest critics. Just my opinion, and like I said, I like the piece, I just don't think it is perfect (far from it).

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 1

Easy I think. And since you said you're curious, I'll give you an answer to rival a mythic Rush anthem about the duality of human nature.

Though Hemispheres is my favorite Rush album, and among my handful of favorite albums by anyone, I think the title track is pretty sketchy in several places. Not saying Hemispheres side I is not great, but it's far from perfect. Besides the manifest clunkiness (like the music backing "I bring truth and understanding, ...." for example) and inelegant transitions (IMO), much of lyrics are somewhat hokey ("I see the gods in battle rage on high..."), and I've never been able to tolerate the saccharine sentiments of the final part, The Sphere. Master of subtlety Neil is not; for someone who bristles at the pronouncements of those he sees as irrational demagogues, he tends to be very preachy in a "I know better than you" kind of way, which he'll spell out in usually painfully obvious terms. Hemispheres Side I is an example. Like Closer to the Heart and Cinderella Man, his chiding that we should do/be better is fairly abstract and friendly (can't disagree with the sentiments, it's the "Has it occurred to anyone else that we should be nicer to each other?" obviousness of it all), whereas with songs like Anthem, Something for Nothing, and Freewill (among many others) he tends to be speaking down to the ignorant and lazy among us unwashed masses (Ayn Rand had a word for the Collective; I don't remember what it is). I mostly like Neil's lyrics of this period of Rush, but I always thought that Cygnus X-1 and Hemispheres (the song) play into the hands of his harshest critics. Just my opinion, and like I said, I like the piece, I just don't think it is perfect (far from it).

I feel a pain in my chest and me left arm is going numb. Is that serious?

That was a very in depth analysis and I enjoyed it. We will forever disagree but I respect your opinion.

My opinion? Glad you asked!

So much to love about this masterpiece. The crashing in on the ear piercing, "Then all at once the chaos ceased.." gives me goose bumps. The visual imagery of, "Those who could not fight brought tales of old to light" does the same.

The lyrical, metaphoric battle between heart and mine, I think, is clever beyond words.

Now musically... I think the transitions in that song are magnificent. I don't know if you play an instrument but the way it works in and out of various parts is exactly as it should be. It fits. Geddy's bass playing supports that song in an unbelievable way. Most of his lines are harmonies with his vocals that lay over Alex's chords beautifully. Aggressive yet melodic. There are almost two separate songs going on simultaneously.

The Sphere ties everything in together and has a "finally at peace" feeling after an epic battle.

Bravo boys. It was hell to produce and destroyed Geddy's voice doing that tour but it is my "desert island album" for sure and I appreciate the sacrifice!

• Like 1

I feel a pain in my chest and me left arm is going numb. Is that serious?

That was a very in depth analysis and I enjoyed it. We will forever disagree but I respect your opinion.

My opinion? Glad you asked!

So much to love about this masterpiece. The crashing in on the ear piercing, "Then all at once the chaos ceased.." gives me goose bumps. The visual imagery of, "Those who could not fight brought tales of old to light" does the same.

The lyrical, metaphoric battle between heart and mine, I think, is clever beyond words.

Now musically... I think the transitions in that song are magnificent. I don't know if you play an instrument but the way it works in and out of various parts is exactly as it should be. It fits. Geddy's bass playing supports that song in an unbelievable way. Most of his lines are harmonies with his vocals that lay over Alex's chords beautifully. Aggressive yet melodic. There are almost two separate songs going on simultaneously.

The Sphere ties everything in together and has a "finally at peace" feeling after an epic battle.

Bravo boys. It was hell to produce and destroyed Geddy's voice doing that tour but it is my "desert island album" for sure and I appreciate the sacrifice!

Happy to see a fellow enthusiast; as I said, it's my favorite Rush album, and when I consider it, it's probably my favorite album by anyone, in that if I could only have one album, that would be it.

And re the transition statement, I admit that as a non-musician, it's a purely non-technical judgement. I'm not suggesting the musicianship isn't above reproach, but rather my subjective judgement as to how it all flows together. As a matter of personal taste, I prefer Hemispheres to 2112, for example, but I think 2112 flows much better.

Edited by Rutlefan

As a matter of personal taste, I prefer Hemispheres to 2112, for example, but I think 2112 flows much better.

What's funny is I feel the complete opposite. While I love 2112 as well and think the story line is fantastic... those transitions seem to be simply - this part stops, pregnant pause, next part begins. There really doesn't seem to be much flow from one part to the next. That is where I think they grew with Hemispheres. Every part rolls into the next seamlessly with the exception of the Sphere. I think that was deliberate though as it was that peace at the end of the storm, so to speak.

• Like 1

Bruce Springsteen- The Wild, The Innocent and the E Street Band- side b

Perfection.

• Like 1

Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed - entire album (the original "flows from first note to last" rock album)

Joni Mitchell - Court and Spark - side 1

ELO - A New World Record - side 1

Black Sabbath - Heaven & Hell - side 1

CCR - Cosmo's Factory - side 2

Beatles - Rubber Soul - side 1

Beatles - Revolver (all)

Al Stewart - Year of the Cat - side 2

and just for fun:

Zebra - 3.V - side 1

Rush-Power Windows (Both Sides)

Oingo Boingo-Dark at the End of the Tunnel (Both Sides)

Owl City-Ocean Eyes (Side 3 (note Double Album))

Owl City-The Midsummer Station (Side One)

They Might Be Giants-Join Us (Side One)

Daft Punk-Discovery (Side's One and Two (note Double Album))

Green Day-American Idiot (Side One (note Double Album))

Honorable Mention for They Might Be Giant's Flood, whose first side is so close to perfect, only the studio rendition of Dead (Piano and vocals only) brings it down. If the track followed it's live format (full band, lack of grainy sound effect over it), it would have made the list.

Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed - entire album (the original "flows from first note to last" rock album)

:yes: Any one of their first seven will fit the bill.

Beggars Banquet - 2nd side

Abbey Road - 2nd side

Child Is Father To The Man (BS&T w/ Al Kooper) - entire album

:goodone: