Kiss finally inducted...

Presto-digitation

Please, should have been YES before NIRVANA.

You picked the worst example from that list of bands. They're not my favorite, but unlike most on the list, they're actually rock, influential, and popular.

I disagree. Just because something is popular doesn't mean it's good... and vice versa.

Nirvana was popular but IMO they were horrible.

Just my opinion.

ledrush has used the whole popular = better argument to support his insane obsession with test for echo many times!

I have never used the popular = better argument...ever. And if I did, I wouldn't use it on T4E, as that album sold slightly worse than Counterparts. I have talked about quantifying opinions of fans through popularity with respect to RTB to combat groundless statements about that album, though.

yeah, it was roll the bones, my bad.

I was there, Nirvana changed the way people thought about popular music. Did they do it alone? No. But they definitely led the way. Obviously on a much smaller scale, but similar to what happened in 1964 or so...

these are facts, yes. I was just saying I dig yes more than any grunge acts

I was there, Nirvana changed the way people thought about popular music. Did they do it alone? No. But they definitely led the way. Obviously on a much smaller scale, but similar to what happened in 1964 or so...

RUN DMC (using them as a rap example) changed the way people thought about music, too... just not for the better. Change ain't always good.

Auto-tune has changed music as well. Do we applaud that innovation to music or curse it's name for ruining it?

BTW, thanks to everyone for having a healthy disagreement without turning to name calling, bad mouthing and bitter remarks. I can get that at home. Haha

Edited by KennyLee

I don't think run dmc or rap has had a negative impact on shit. there's still great music out there, you just can't turn on the radio and hear it

Well by impact, I think, we're all talking about the radio and the mainstream masses, right? I mean, prog bands have always been around, just not mainstream. They were certainly not influenced by Nirvana. Who Nirvana influenced, if I'm not mistaken, is the mainstream masses. Everyone wanted to be the next Nirvana because they were successful.

I was referring to rap in the same way. It changed music, yes. In my opinion it was a bad change.

"Let's take a popular bass line from a great song, take out all the changes, simplify the drum beat so people can dance, throw the guitar track in the trash and instead of singing let's take melody completely out of the equation and talk rhythmically over it... about ourselves and how great we are."

Where's your Messiah now!

I don't think you can say that Yes has had a bigger influence on music than Nirvana did. I know a lot of people now say that Cobain's fame is owed to his early death, but I can remember people going crazy for Nevermind when it first came out. Until the late 90s-early 00s labels were signing "grunge" bands trying to find the next Nirvana.

Music? Yeah, I guess it's music. Haha

Look, as a musician, Nirvana is the bottom of the barrel. Teens identified with them because their lyrics and feel were depressing.

"Making teenagers depressed is like shooting fish in a barrel" - Bart Simpson

They had mass appeal but to me, the hall of fame is for special artists, who deserve recognition for their excellence, not record sales. I realize I'm in the minority but it is how I feel.

I can show anyone who has never picked up a guitar one chord shape (bar chord) and then teach them 20 Nirvana songs. Nothing excellent there. Sorry.

And it's this attitude that keeps bands like Yes out of the Hall.. Most people , the general public, could give a shit about technical brilliance or inventive/experimental songwriting.. Rock music came from the blues, not classical or jazz.. I think Yes should be in there, but at the same time, I get why Nirvana is and was more influential.. The music snobbery you express makes all Prog fans look like elitists, and that's what a majority of the music establishment thinks, and it's why bands like the Ramones and the sex pistols happened.

Nirvana , and Kurt Cobain, were a great band.. They wrote well crafted punk influenced tunes with cool hooks and melodies.. Who gives a shit if it wasn't all that complex? It's rock n roll

Not my cup of tea....rock n roll has many different feels, tunes, approaches. As the Rush opening film "Rash" pointed out....." It's crap! said Omalley" "yeah but people like crap"

This is no different. To me Nirvana was crap.....it was probably really good crap to those who like crap....but for my taste it was nasty crap. No artistic influence or impact on me at all. They had a few great hooks on that first record...no doubt...but they sucked balls live, and their follow up album was some more crap. And IMO if Cobain was still alive....they would have half the popularity than they do now.

Punk music to me....is complete crap.

I love rock n roll....but punk influenced rock for the most part has always been a turnoff for my ears. It's all subjective.

Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Temple of the Dog, Alice in Chains.....all blow away Nirvana....not even close.

Foo Fighters.....thank god Grohl formed this band. Tremendous riff driven rock.

Nirvana sucks ass. But.....obviously they had a big impact in the music world....by all means....put them in the RRHOF which is pure shiat anyway. The fact Rush and Kiss finally were inducted.....who cares....I know Alex did not give a rats ass.

• Like 1

I don't think you can say that Yes has had a bigger influence on music than Nirvana did. I know a lot of people now say that Cobain's fame is owed to his early death, but I can remember people going crazy for Nevermind when it first came out. Until the late 90s-early 00s labels were signing "grunge" bands trying to find the next Nirvana.

Look, as a musician, Nirvana is the bottom of the barrel. Teens identified with them because their lyrics and feel were depressing.

They had mass appeal but to me, the hall of fame is for special artists, who deserve recognition for their excellence, not record sales. I realize I'm in the minority but it is how I feel.

I can show anyone who has never picked up a guitar one chord shape (bar chord) and then teach them 20 Nirvana songs. Nothing excellent there. Sorry.

And it's this attitude that keeps bands like Yes out of the Hall.. Most people , the general public, could give a shit about technical brilliance or inventive/experimental songwriting.. Rock music came from the blues, not classical or jazz.. I think Yes should be in there, but at the same time, I get why Nirvana is and was more influential.. The music snobbery you express makes all Prog fans look like elitists, and that's what a majority of the music establishment thinks, and it's why bands like the Ramones and the sex pistols happened.

Nirvana , and Kurt Cobain, were a great band.. They wrote well crafted punk influenced tunes with cool hooks and melodies.. Who gives a shit if it wasn't all that complex? It's rock n roll

Not my cup of tea....rock n roll has many different feels, tunes, approaches. As the Rush opening film "Rash" pointed out....." It's crap! said Omalley" "yeah but people like crap"

This is no different. To me Nirvana was crap.....it was probably really good crap to those who like crap....but for my taste it was nasty crap. No artistic influence or impact on me at all. They had a few great hooks on that first record...no doubt...but they sucked balls live, and their follow up album was some more crap. And IMO if Cobain was still alive....they would have half the popularity than they do now.

I love rock n roll....but punk influenced rock for the most part has always been a turnoff for my ears. It's all subjective.

Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Temple of the Dog, Alice in Chains.....all blow away Nirvana....not even close.

Nirvana sucks ass. But.....obviously they had a big impact in the music world....by all means....put them in the RRHOF which is pure shiat anyway. The fact Rush and Kiss finally were inducted.....who cares....I know Alex did not give a rats ass.

I agree about the live aspect of Nirvana. I thought the first record had some timeless songs though. Foo Fighters are real damn good...Grohl is in his element

I agree about the live aspect of Nirvana. I thought the first record had some timeless songs though. Foo Fighters are real damn good...Grohl is in his element

The first record, or the second (which was the first big one)?

Yes Nevermind has some historical value with a couple of tunes that are iconic. They had some great hooks on that first record. I just find it kinda silly that a band who made two official studio releases......get's right into the RRHOF. It just shows how contrived and media driven the hall is. I mean really? Nirvana....roll the red carpet out on the first go around on the ballot? Their impact is overstated and over hyped by some of their own contemporaries like Pearl Jam, Soudgarden etc. The only thing Nirvana did.....and it is an impact no question was be the door opener for the truly great bands that emerged from that scene. We will never know if indeed it was them that really led the way....as Seattle was a growing emerging music scene. I think Pearl Jam and Soundgarden as well as Alice and Chains still make it out of their......Hard Rock was looking for other sounds coming out of the late 80's and Seattle was a hunting ground. Nirvana happened to break out first. It made it easier for other bands to follow suit but I still believe those other bands make it out anyway at some point. Maybe not the sheer volume of bands we probably never heard of that were record company tax breaks.....anyway you get my point.

One tune essentially in Feel Like Teen Spirit is their lasting gift to Rock music. Amazing....this band get's in on one monster song, but their body of work totally underwhelming (I am sure the producers really cleaned up all their stuff in the studio as live they were a trainwreck) and the press making Kurt Cobain a mythical person in the world of rock......oh what could have been if he did not off himself? Really? I think Nirvana had one more release left in them before they would have faded away......and Ghrol would still have formed Foo Fighters. I truly believe that. Dave Ghrol is what I celebrate the most out of the lifespan of Nirvana. Not Cobains music. So rock n roll has that going for itself.

Ok then.

Yes Nevermind has some historical value with a couple of tunes that are iconic. They had some great hooks on that first record. I just find it kinda silly that a band who made two official studio releases......get's right into the RRHOF. It just shows how contrived and media driven the hall is. I mean really? Nirvana....roll the red carpet out on the first go around on the ballot? Their impact is overstated and over hyped by some of their own contemporaries like Pearl Jam, Soudgarden etc. The only thing Nirvana did.....and it is an impact no question was be the door opener for the truly great bands that emerged from that scene. We will never know if indeed it was them that really led the way....as Seattle was a growing emerging music scene. I think Pearl Jam and Soundgarden as well as Alice and Chains still make it out of their......Hard Rock was looking for other sounds coming out of the late 80's and Seattle was a hunting ground. Nirvana happened to break out first. It made it easier for other bands to follow suit but I still believe those other bands make it out anyway at some point. Maybe not the sheer volume of bands we probably never heard of that were record company tax breaks.....anyway you get my point.

One tune essentially in Feel Like Teen Spirit is their lasting gift to Rock music. Amazing....this band get's in on one monster song, but their body of work totally underwhelming (I am sure the producers really cleaned up all their stuff in the studio as live they were a trainwreck) and the press making Kurt Cobain a mythical person in the world of rock......oh what could have been if he did not off himself? Really? I think Nirvana had one more release left in them before they would have faded away......and Ghrol would still have formed Foo Fighters. I truly believe that. Dave Ghrol is what I celebrate the most out of the lifespan of Nirvana. Not Cobains music. So rock n roll has that going for itself.

Ok then.

First off, I get your argument, but it would help if you avoided some glaring mistakes regarding Nirvana's discography.

They released three official studio albums plus a compilation album of b-sides and rarities. That makes basically four official albums. The Velvet Underground released five official albums with the last one being a very very very dubious inclusion. The Police release only five official albums. Jimi Hendirx only released four official albums in his life time. So, I think Nirvana has got the official release stuff down.

I was there (I assume also were there) and I experienced a very exticing time in popular music with many thanks to Nirvana for kicking down the door.

And the iconic song is "Smells Like Teen Spirit", though I'm sure it felt like it too!

• Like 2

Yes should be in the Hall of Fame as they were one of the defining bands of a whole musical genre, Progressive Rock but Nirvana were the defining band of the Grunge genre. Both should be in.

Kiss are a joke to me, but I can't deny their popularity.

• Like 2

Yes should be in the Hall of Fame as they were one of the defining bands of a whole musical genre, Progressive Rock but Nirvana were the defining band of the Grunge genre. Both should be in.

Spot on.... :yes:

Ok then.

First off, I get your argument, but it would help if you avoided some glaring mistakes regarding Nirvana's discography.

They released three official studio albums plus a compilation album of b-sides and rarities. That makes basically four official albums. The Velvet Underground released five official albums with the last one being a very very very dubious inclusion. The Police release only five official albums. Jimi Hendirx only released four official albums in his life time. So, I think Nirvana has got the official release stuff down.

I was there (I assume also were there) and I experienced a very exticing time in popular music with many thanks to Nirvana for kicking down the door.

And the iconic song is "Smells Like Teen Spirit", though I'm sure it felt like it too!

Yup. They essentially kick started a whole new era in music. Although I seem to remember Pearl Jam , and Even Flow, getting just as much attention at the time..

Edited by Xanadoood

Actually, I just looked it up and Even Flow was released in April 92, 7 months after Teen Spirit..

But it was the 2nd single off that debut PJ album. The first single was 'Alive', which preceded Teen Spirit by just a few weeks. The FACT is is that it all happened TOGETHER pretty much simultaneously. Soundgarden's Badmotorfinger was released a mere month after Nirvana's Nevermind. Alice in Chains even had decent success with the song 'Man in the Box' in the spring BEFORE 10, Nevermind, and Badmotorfinger

Actually, I just looked it up and Even Flow was released in April 92, 7 months after Teen Spirit..

But it was the 2nd single off that debut PJ album. The first single was 'Alive', which preceded Teen Spirit by just a few weeks. The FACT is is that it all happened TOGETHER pretty much simultaneously. Soundgarden's Badmotorfinger was released a mere month after Nirvana's Nevermind. Alice in Chains even had decent success with the song 'Man in the Box' in the spring BEFORE 10, Nevermind, and Badmotorfinger

Yup, you are correct. It's pretty incredible to look back on all that now.. It was a true changing of the guard moment with all those bands exploding.

• Like 1

The early 90's was an amazing time for rock music as well as my own life as I was in the middle of that music scene gigging with the likes of Marylin Manson, The Mavricks etc down here is South Florida. We were a progressive rock band totally against the grain of what was going on...but it was a blast meeting, playing with so many different bands along the way. Great times.

Rock music had a second wind until it all went to shit.

Rock is a dying genere. Totally dying across the country at a rapid pace.

Ok then.

Thank you for some corrections....I don't really know Nirvana's total history as I found their music to be complete crap.

But The Police and Jimi's limited releases were an incredible body of work on such a short amount of songs. I mean I can't even compare a band like Nirvana to those two artists and their lasting influence on so many in music and just fans in general.

A guy like Jeff Buckley who had one official release would still get into my RRHOF over Nirvana.......his one release was brilliant, emotional and pouring with brilliant vocals, playing. True art to this beholder.

Anyway it's all subjective as I always have said. I know Nirvana has legions of fans who would come at me with torches and pitchforks.

Edited by Todem

By that same token, aren't Kiss THE representative band of the Glam Rock genre?