Why the hate on Test For Echo?

The Analog Cub

Hey what beef do you have with Time And Motion, I mean I admit it is no where near their best song, but there are lot's of cool bits to it.

I've never been able to make it through the song without my mind drifting to something else. I just listened to it again, and phased out half way through. I did notice kind of a cool 5 second jam at the very end and then the song ends.

Some album has to be worst. This one is it for me. I don't hate it, but it is full of non-top-100 Rush songs.

I think it's one of those albums that's worth it for the good tracks. And as for the grungy sound, those songs wouldn't be the same without the techniques borrowed from that era.

That grungy sound is a big part of the reason I don't like it, I'll admit. I hated the entire grunge era

I've passionately hated that era/sound as well. The same CP grunge-sound still negatively taints Rush's new music to this day. Its like they're stuck in a loop, and much of the reason I refuse to digest anything new from them.

Edited by GeminiRising79

And as for the grungy sound, those songs wouldn't be the same without the techniques borrowed from that era.

I agree, though I prefer the grungy sound of Counterparts—crisper and less abrasive.

I didn't really find the grunge influence overt in CP - someone had to point it out to me. I just thought it was heavier than RTB, which could only be a good thing. The sound is cleaner and in many places brighter than what I think of when someone says "grunge". There's some shit tracks on Counterparts but overall I like it.

I don't hate it at all, but it simply doesn't have the replay value of just about every other Rush album, probably because it is a record filled with mostly pretty good songs, a few very good songs (Resist and Totem) and one awful song (Time and Motion).

Time and Motion is my favorite track on the album, so there you go. :eh:

And as for the grungy sound, those songs wouldn't be the same without the techniques borrowed from that era.

I agree, though I prefer the grungy sound of Counterparts—crisper and less abrasive.

I didn't really find the grunge influence overt in CP - someone had to point it out to me. I just thought it was heavier than RTB, which could only be a good thing. The sound is cleaner and in many places brighter than what I think of when someone says "grunge". There's some shit tracks on Counterparts but overall I like it.

That's interesting, because as soon as Animate started off all filthy and distorted, grunge was what came to mind for me. And being a one-time flannel-wearing, Nirvana-loving teen, I was quite in heaven. But I do agree with what you say about it being clean and bright at times—there's certainly some material on there that shouldn't be classified with the likes of old Soundgarden sludge.

I didn't really find the grunge influence overt in CP - someone had to point it out to me.

The bass line in Animate is very Seattle sound (Pearl Jam's Evenflow or Why Go?), as is the hook for Stick It Out.

No hate here. great album. one of my handful of goto rush when need some. Never dated still sounds fresh now. on a break from rush right now but felt an urge to give the brilliant time & motion a good blast last night. if you dont get T4E its ok you will one day, took me a good few years to fully appreciate tbh.
  • Like 2

I didn't really find the grunge influence overt in CP - someone had to point it out to me.

The bass line in Animate is very Seattle sound (Pearl Jam's Evenflow or Why Go?), as is the hook for Stick It Out.

Stick It Out is one track I routinely skip. . .because of the muddy sludgy sound.

• Like 1

Are there really people who think T4E is their best album? That's ok - different tastes and all that and god knows there's a hell of a lot of music I despise (pleasecouldsomeonejustmachineguntheentirelineupofMaroon5). I just find it hard to believe that a Rush fan would rank it above, say, AFTK. I'd bet those who do are at least 15 years younger than I.
  • Like 2

Time for some soul cleansing once again. I did a little experiment yesterday because I get my balls broken somewhat from time to time around here about my Rush 86' - 02' ish ambivalence, for lack of a better word. I put on the headphones and at least sampled all of them :eh:. I tried to listen all the way through to all of them at first. I just couldn't do it. There are a few song's here and there that are good but if anything my opinion cured and hardened mostly. It would take a jackhammer to change my stubborn ass opinion at this point. :codger: The truth set's me free......... :yes: Edited by Narpet

No hate here. great album. one of my handful of goto rush when need some. Never dated still sounds fresh now. on a break from rush right now but felt an urge to give the brilliant time & motion a good blast last night. if you dont get T4E its ok you will one day, took me a good few years to fully appreciate tbh.

...Really?

Are there really people who think T4E is their best album? That's ok - different tastes and all that and god knows there's a hell of a lot of music I despise (pleasecouldsomeonejustmachineguntheentirelineupofMaroon5). I just find it hard to believe that a Rush fan would rank it above, say, AFTK. I'd bet those who do are at least 15 years younger than I.

I think it's a middle-of-the-pack Rush album. I enjoy a number of its tunes more than most people do (particularly The Color of Right, Carve Away the Stone, Virtuality, and Totem). The dopey lyrics are really only a deterrent when it comes to the ridiculously repetitive Half the World. I wouldn't rank most of its tunes above the likes of Xanadu and A Farewell to Kings, but I do prefer the album on the whole to AFtK (a full third of which I really don't like). And I'm a mere ten years younger than you are. :)

• Like 2

I think it's a middle-of-the-pack Rush album. I enjoy a number of its tunes more than most people do (particularly The Color of Right, Carve Away the Stone, Virtuality, and Totem). The dopey lyrics are really only a deterrent when it comes to the ridiculously repetitive Half the World. I wouldn't rank most of its tunes above the likes of Xanadu and A Farewell to Kings, but I do prefer the album on the whole to AFtK (a full third of which I really don't like). And I'm a mere ten years younger than you are. :)

Anbody out there in Rush land say 40 or older think Test For Echo is better than A Farewell To Kings or Hemispheres? Just curious?

Anbody out there in Rush land say 40 or older think Test For Echo is better than A Farewell To Kings or Hemispheres? Just curious?

Not me.

• Like 2

In my honest opinion, I think it's one of their lyrically weaker albums. It's alright and it has some decent songs, I just can never really get into it.

There's hardly anyone under forty who prefers Test for Echo to those two records. There's no question about that. This line of discussion is only showing the arbitrariness of setting age boundaries for the sake of drawing conclusions. Mara felt that people who rank TfE over AFtK are likely under 30. That "young," uneducated cretin Cyclonus X-1 came along and showed there's at least one exception to the "rule"--so now the age goalpost is just being moved back another few years? Seems pointless to me. Both the geriatric Rush fans and the young whippersnappers obviously prefer AFtK and Hemispheres to TfE. The occasional forty-one-year-old or eleven-year-old showing up and disagreeing doesn't really serve to prove anything.

• Like 2

That "young," uneducated cretin Cyclonus X-1 came along and showed there's at least one exception to the "rule"--so now the age goalpost is just being moved back another few years?

You're young?

:P

• Like 2

That "young," uneducated cretin Cyclonus X-1 came along and showed there's at least one exception to the "rule"--so now the age goalpost is just being moved back another few years?

You're young?

Clearly not—I remember the Lions' last playoff win! ;)

You're young?

Clearly not—I remember the Lions' last playoff win! ;)

Me too, but I'm old.

Beuerlein and Kramer

Wayne Fontes was the winning coach. And then they gave the Redskins a much better game than they did in the opener. The good old days...

There's hardly anyone under forty who prefers Test for Echo to those two records. There's no question about that. This line of discussion is only showing the arbitrariness of setting age boundaries for the sake of drawing conclusions. Mara felt that people who rank TfE over AFtK are likely under 30. That "young," uneducated cretin Cyclonus X-1 came along and showed there's at least one exception to the "rule"--so now the age goalpost is just being moved back another few years? Seems pointless to me. Both the geriatric Rush fans and the young whippersnappers obviously prefer AFtK and Hemispheres to TfE. The occasional forty-one-year-old or eleven-year-old showing up and disagreeing doesn't really serve to prove anything.

I am assuming I fit into the "geriatric" demographic? Better than being an "uneducated cretin" I would guess..... :P
  • Like 1