Vapor Trails Remix vs Clockwork Angels - you've compared them before, but how do they stack up now??

treeduck

Vapor Trails Remix: The Poll - Part 2  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Vapor Trails Remix vs Clockwork Angels

• The Remixed Vapor Trails is now clearly better than Clockwork Angels
    • Clockwork Angels is easily better than Vapor Trails, remix or not
    • They're about even in my mind, it's a tie!
    • I don't know, maybe I need more time to decide
    • I think they're closer now but Clock Angels edges it
    • I think the gap is wider, Vapor Trails wins by a decent margin, I had them even before
    • I'm not getting the Remix, my previous opinion will stand
    • I like them both, there's no need for a comparison

I've still not heard the VT Remix yet, so I can't comment.

You know the albums, you know songs by now, so does the VT Remix change your opinion? Does VT now beat out Clockwork Angels? Does it close the gap, does it open up a bigger gap?

Have at it... :hail:

Not to be rude, but how does a Rush fan, who posts on a Rush forum, not have Vapor Trails Remixed yet? It blows my mind!

One who hasn't got around to it yet!

I guess there are really different levels of Rush fans. Personally, since 1984, I had to have every new album the moment it came out!

Well it's not really me not getting around to it actually, it's amazon who haven't sent it yet. All I can do is wait it out. :hail:

You gotta preorder that with prime.

The only prime that matters is prime steak! :smoke:

I had prime rib tonight, then listened to the prime version of Vapor Trails that I got on time because of Prime. And I've :smoke: and eaten :bacon: . Perfect day :)

• Like 1

Got my remastered copy yesterday and it IS definitely is better.....much better. I have a pretty high end setup and the clarity is much better. I did notice Neil's bell rides are a little washed out but audible. I've always thought the album was great, but this really makes it a better. Now it is meant to be played LOUD instead of being loud.
  • Like 1

You know the albums, you know songs by now, so does the VT Remix change your opinion? Does VT now beat out Clockwork Angels? Does it close the gap, does it open up a bigger gap?

Not to be rude, but how does a Rush fan, who posts on a Rush forum, not have Vapor Trails Remixed yet? It blows my mind!

I guess there are really different levels of Rush fans. Personally, since 1984, I had to have every new album the moment it came out!

well isn't that special?

as if getting a disc the moment it came out makes you a greater rush fan than treeduck.

well isn't that special?

as if getting a disc the moment it came out makes you a greater rush fan than treeduck.

I haven't gotten the remix either yet. For one thing, 99% of the shops out here won't have it. Pretty much everyone posting on this site is a big fan of the band and has spent more than enough money on Rush tickets, albums, clothing, etc. I'm pretty sure I won't die if I don't get it for another week or two...and I'm certain I won't be less of a fan for not getting it immediately either
  • Like 2

Well it's not really me not getting around to it actually, it's amazon who haven't sent it yet. All I can do is wait it out. :hail:

you Rush fraud.

• Like 1

you Rush fraud.

:16ton: :banana: :banana: :banana: :16ton:

well isn't that special?

I haven't gotten the remix either yet. For one thing, 99% of the shops out here won't have it. Pretty much everyone posting on this site is a big fan of the band and has spent more than enough money on Rush tickets, albums, clothing, etc. I'm pretty sure I won't die if I don't get it for another week or two...and I'm certain I won't be less of a fan for not getting it immediately either

Aye...

:hail:

• Like 1

well isn't that special?

:hi:

Absolutely no comparison for me, as an album VT wins hands down... clockwork angels has four exceptional tracks on it like the band at their very best, but the rest are either just below that standard or some way below even. Personally, i just think the work suffered from the break the band had in production process... all the tracks written before it just happen to be the ones that hit high levels for me, whereas the following material a bit sub. I cant put that down to coincidence.

VT's just a classic rush album from start to finish, sonic issues aside the band were in the zone for the whole thing is a masterpiece.

Well, I always connected better to VT than to CA. I never liked the steampunk concept that much, and all this mushy-mushy about The Garden... I just don't get it, it's one of their less sincere songs for me, while VT is almost an autobiography. It was the one and only time they stood so naked and wounded... that's what makes it special for me.
  • Like 1

I love both albums and think both are among their very finest work. Vapor Trail, Sweet Miracle, Ghost Rider, Earthshine, Peaceable Kingdom -- great songs (among others -- there isn't a weak track, in my view). And I agree with H.P.L., the lyrics are moving and more personal than ever. Clockwork Angels is an "album" in the old-school sense -- somehow whenever I start it, I feel the need to continue on through to the end. I love the "journey" you take on the album. Songs like "Halo Effect" and the transitional "BU2B2" may not be standouts on their own, but they create some pacing that plays perfectly in the context of the entire suite. I am absolutely astonished that the band has put out such high-quality work at this stage of their existence.
  • Like 3

Well, Clockwork Angels was already miles better than Vapor Trails, and this new remix of VT sucks, so the distance got even wider.

I think your ears are broken, or you have been listening to VT on an old boom box from 1985, with two blown speakers.

Well, Clockwork Angels was already miles better than Vapor Trails, and this new remix of VT sucks, so the distance got even wider.

I think your ears are broken, or you have been listening to VT on an old boom box from 1985, with two blown speakers.

Maybe he even got hold of an old booomstick from Ash in Army of Darkness! :banana: :smoke:

Clockwork Angels is a superior album. But I love the fact I can finally enjoy listening to the songs I like on Vapor Trails.

This.

VT is a fine effort, and much improved after the remaster...but CA is amazing.

I was thinking more about this as I was reading the comments here. I think Clockwork Angels was ruined for me after I read the book. In one sense it kind of expanded on the album but the book was so poorly written I find it harder to get beyond that now than I probably would have if I had not read it.

Vapor Trails OTOH is getting better and better with each listen. I never gave it a full chance before because of the bad mixing job.

Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 1

I was thinking more about this as I was reading the comments here. I think Clockwork Angels was ruined for me after I read the book. In one sense it kind of expanded on the album but the book was so poorly written I find it harder to get beyond that now than I probably would have if I had not read it.

I kind of felt that way about the book. There were a couple of places where an intriguing idea came up that could have been spun beautifully into a theme of "one of many possible worlds," but to my huge disappointment, nothing promising that arose in the narrative was actually pursued. After I read the book, I had to make a conscious decision to forget about it so that it wouldn't impede my enjoyment of the wonderful music. Fortunately, after a while I was able to dismiss the remnants of the book that stayed in my mind, and was able to fully love and appreciate the album again. The story the album makes in my head is much more interesting than the story in that clunky opportunity-missing book.

Interestingly, now that I can hear the musical and emotional elements in it properly, I feel that Vapour Trails tells the story in the book Ghost Rider better than the book does, too.

• Like 1

I was thinking more about this as I was reading the comments here. I think Clockwork Angels was ruined for me after I read the book.

I liked how it fleshed out the story told on the album, but I agree about the book being badly written. My daughter complained about how Anderson went out of the way to include Rush quotes, even when it was nonsensical or out of keeping with the paragraph. I found one good use for the audio book though- I found that Neil's voice is a great lullaby for me, and I still haven't managed to listen to a whole chapter without falling asleep (I mean this in a kind way- I love Neil's voice, and don't find it monotone like some others have commented!).

No contest.

Clockwork Angels.

I kind of felt that way about the book. There were a couple of places where an intriguing idea came up that could have been spun beautifully into a theme of "one of many possible worlds," but to my huge disappointment, nothing promising that arose in the narrative was actually pursued. .

:Sort of book spoiler:

The one part of the story that I thought "oh it's going to start getting good now" was the bit about The Clockmaker,and the souls in the automaton bodies. What a lost opportunity. Now that would have been a fascinating story.

• Like 1