What album you love took the longest to grow on you?

sitboaf

Not counting Rush albums (as if there would be any!), what album that you LOVE took the longest to grow on you?

Maybe you hated it at first, or just didn't get it...

Housemartins - I remember back in the college (in the '80s!) hearing their first 2 albums over and over and over again, and thinking every single song sounded exactly the same. But now… well, all the songs still sound kinda similar, but those are 2 great albums.

Neil Young - Tonight's the Night - I stuck with it because I kept reading how awesome it was supposed to be. It took forever (maybe 15 or 20 listens), but I finally got there. Now I put it on every time I want to remember what it's like to lose a beloved pet :(

The Who -Sell Out - not sure why this took a long time to grab me. Lots of great songs and funny commercials.

Maybe in another 20 years I'll finally start to like The Final Cut. :no:

Owl City's The Midsummer Station-One of my newly favorite artist's releases a new album that strayed from the normal indie synth roots to do a pop/dance/pop-punk album that was a huge whiplash for me. But I kept giving it chances, and I realised the music was still very good, and realised that the project that was the album was to write in a style of standard pop music at the time, and make it the best he could, and it turned out really well. Again, it was just a huge whiplash to transfer genres.

I'll have to think if there are any others, but it took a long time for me to like Yes' "Tales from Topographic Oceans". Seems I'm not the only one. When I first listened to it, I thought it was just too much to absorb. The ironic thing is that the only track I seemed to care about was "The Ancient (Giants Under the Sun)", but now it's my least favorite on the album.

I put it away for a long time and didn't play it until one day I pulled it out and listened to it in my car while I was visiting home. During that drive, I wanted to see the damage that was created by hurricane Floyd which had devastated the area with massive flooding. Just as I pulled into a dilapidated and abandoned subdivision, a particular section of "Revealing Science of God" began and it was like the perfect background music for the devastation I was witnessing simultaneously as I was driving down the street. The song took on new meaning and I began to listen to the album more but listening to the entire album at once. I had to take it in small bites.

• Like 1

RUSH.....Hold Your Fire and Counterparts

However, the top one would be Peter Gabriel's SO. I bought it on vanilla back then and for some reason disliked it and returned it. Then some months heard a song from the album and was shocked to know In Your Eyes was on there. I went back out and bought the cd and I've loved the album and tour ever since.

• Like 1

Van der Graaf Generator - Pawn Hearts

It took me several tries to even get through it at first. I eventually listened straight through and wasn't too impressed, but I didn't flat out hate it. Now it's one of my all-time favorites.

I bought World Record from VDGG on a flea market many years ago. The seller had the CD's in a seperat box and each CD cover had a sticker with a number, to identify the CD's, on it. I didn't know who VDGG was at the time, but the cover and the id number 2112 made me buy it. One night I came home very drunken and picked a random CD and it was World Record. I listened through it and I was never the same after that night. LOL.

• Like 1

REM's Murmur. Sounded like completely uninspiring, monochromatic, mumbling jangle rock to me when I first heard it. Then I saw them open up for The Police and decided to give it another try. Put it on the flip side of a cassette with Big Country's The Crossing. Because I loved The Crossing, I'd kind of be forced to listen to Murmur as well, and eventually came to love it. That tape, along with one that had with P-Furs Talk Talk Talk and Forever Now, was the backbone of my high school senior year car music listenting (a tape with Dire Strait's Making Movies and Love Over Gold was also in that mix). Edited by Rutlefan

Led Zep Presence

I bought it the first day it came out and brought it back to my dorm to play it LOUD. I was very disappointed. Well after PG, how could you top that? After a few months I revisited Presence and really got to enjoy the album. It ROCKS !!!

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

I've warmed up to WYWH but still, it's not even in my top 5 PF albums

David Bowie - Diamond Dogs

Hated it at first listen but after a few more goes, Love it.

The Who - The Who By Numbers

This album really grew on me but it took time.

I know it says "not Rush albums", but the two albums that took the longest to grow on me were Grace Under Pressure and Power Windows. It took me years to appreciate the brilliance that existed on those two works. I don't think there are two other albums in existence that took me as long to warm up to. I mean, I didn't really care for either one...and then a decade later, fell in love with them. I remember hating...HATING Mystic Rhythm. Now I adore that song. I love playing it full blast on the car stereo with the windows down.

I think it really took me a while to come to terms with the full on synth sounds.

REM's Murmur. Sounded like completely uninspiring, monochromatic, mumbling jangle rock to me when I first heard it. Then I saw them open up for The Police and decided to give it another try. Put it on the flip side of a cassette with Big Country's The Crossing. Because I loved The Crossing, I'd kind of be forced to listen to Murmur as well, and eventually came to love it. That tape, along with one that had with P-Furs Talk Talk Talk and Forever Now, was the backbone of my high school senior year car music listenting (a tape with Dire Strait's Making Movies and Love Over Gold was also in that mix).

Early REM is the BOMB. Too bad everything after Green is radio friendly puffery. :(

I know it says "not Rush albums", but the two albums that took the longest to grow on me were Grace Under Pressure and Power Windows. It took me years to appreciate the brilliance that existed on those two works. I don't think there are two other albums in existence that took me as long to warm up to. I mean, I didn't really care for either one...and then a decade later, fell in love with them. I remember hating...HATING Mystic Rhythm. Now I adore that song. I love playing it full blast on the car stereo with the windows down.

I think it really took me a while to come to terms with the full on synth sounds.

I thought power windows was lame as hell my first listen. oddly enough, I liked hold your fire immediately though. love both of em now

always loved GUP, probably the first album I've ever had with prominent 80s synths and I remember thinking woah how do I like this?

I thought power windows was lame as hell my first listen. oddly enough, I liked hold your fire immediately though. love both of em now

always loved GUP, probably the first album I've ever had with prominent 80s synths and I remember thinking woah how do I like this?

I used to be in the old Rush good / New Rush bad camp. Somewhere in the mid 90s I grew out of that...and love all of the eras. :haz:
  • Like 1

Sigur Ros. Jonsi's voice was what I didn't like and the whole quiet stuff bored me. Now, however, Ambient is my favorite genre along with Black Metal/Post-Rock/Shoegaze.

Evoken is a grower.

The entire Xasthur collection made me wince but I also love what Malefic does.

Also, Sunn O))), Earth and Boris and a LOT of Drone/Doom.

More to come when i think of it. :P