Is RUSH better than the Beatles

losingit2k

108 members have voted

1. 1. Is RUSH Better than The Beatles

• Yes
    • No
    • The Same

This thread is epic. It should be pinned. I mean it's like a little microcosm of what TRF is about. We have the lovers, the haters, the nitpickers, the moaners, the naysayers, the over-enthusiastics, the normal, the abnormal, the smartasses, the pessimists, the optimists, and the rest of the riff-raff. All these people have something in common. The music! I love music and TRF. :cool:
  • Like 5

Yeah, people like my mom love David Byrne. She's 71. The talking heads were an interesting and very quirky band, and they were a key part of the early CBGBs history, but they and their fans seem like an early 80's equivalent of the hipster crowd to me. Doesn't mean they weren't great, but definitely not a monster success until maybe stop making sense came out, and then they and David Byrne quickly faded back to their core audience along with all the aging moms they picked up along the way. I always thought Peter Gabriel was much better in that genre of blending world music with pop and rock.

This thread is epic. It should be pinned. I mean it's like a little microcosm of what TRF is about. We have the lovers, the haters, the nitpickers, the moaners, the naysayers, the over-enthusiastics, the normal, the abnormal, the smartasses, the pessimists, the optimists, and the rest of the riff-raff. All these people have something in common. The music! I love music and TRF. :cool:

• Like 2

Yeah, people like my mom love David Byrne. She's 71. The talking heads were an interesting and very quirky band, and they were a key part of the early CBGBs history, but they and their fans seem like an early 80's equivalent of the hipster crowd to me. Doesn't mean they weren't great, but definitely not a monster success until maybe stop making sense came out, and then they and David Byrne quickly faded back to their core audience along with all the aging moms they picked up along the way. I always thought Peter Gabriel was much better in that genre of blending world music with pop and rock.

Who is David Byrne? Is that Fred's brother?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiCTYV-DP9w

Love that scene. Well responded. :D

• Like 1

maybe now we can go back to talking about the beatles and rush instead of all this david/fred byrne bullshit?

Edited by rushgoober
  • Like 1

maybe now we can go back to talking about the beatles and rush instead of all this david/fred byrne bullshit?

:rfl:
  • Like 1

I'm 45. I love Talking Heads. I didn't wear black stone washed jeans and "zany" colored Chuck Taylors in the early to mid 80s, but I consider myself a fan.

I like some of Peter Gabriel's more "accessible" stuff, but, personally, I don't think he belongs in the same conversation with Talking Heads.

Still love Rush. Still think the Beatles were a better band. I don't want to hijack the thread.

• Like 1

I'm 45. I love Talking Heads. I didn't wear black stone washed jeans and "zany" colored Chuck Taylors in the early to mid 80s, but I consider myself a fan.

I like some of Peter Gabriel's more "accessible" stuff, but, personally, I don't think he belongs in the same conversation with Talking Heads.

Still love Rush. Still think the Beatles were a better band. I don't want to hijack the thread.

I'm 49. I love Talking Heads. All I know is that when Stop Making Sense came out and I was hooked. I loved that movie. I bought the VHS tape, which I still have. That was basically my introduction. I bought Little Creatures when it came out, and loved it. True Stories confused me a little, but I liked side one. They kind of lost me though, before Naked, but I did love (Nothing But) Flowers.

My one buddy had Sand in the Vaseline: Popular Favorites on LP. At that time, 8 years or so ago, I had a CD/LP burning set up going so I burned it to two discs. That was really a rediscovery, and an introduction to their older stuff I'd never heard. That is one killer no filler greatest hits extravaganza, full of great music. Even Popsicle. I've listened to that one before, smoking my last cigarette in the car before getting my luggage and boarding the shuttle to the terminal.

Oh, and another aside.. Talking Heads is great music to take camping. :yes:

• Like 1

So is there a Fred explanation or did Coventry just completely not know what the f**k he/she was talking about?

Coventry just got a little mixed up.

Actually, I didn't even catch it. I skimmed through some of the posts and saw the name Fred Byrne come up a couple of times and had no idea who he was. I figured it might be someone from a newer band.

Edited by snowdogged

These kind of threads come "once in a Lifetime"!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvM6TxUnCDE

Meh, they're the same as they ever were.

You psycho killers... :facepalm:

Argh! How did we get here?

Via the road to nowhere of course!

You may ask yourself, is it Rush or is it Beatles? (teacher's futile attempt to redirect class discussion. It's a habit....)

• Like 3

So is there a Fred explanation or did Coventry just completely not know what the f**k he/she was talking about?

If you'd read the earlier posts, I explained it there, but to make you happy, I think discussing Talking Heads made me think also of the B-52's and thus Fred Schneider and so I spoonerismed (of sorts) the two singers.

But please go ahead and believe I don't know what the f**k I'm talking about if it makes you feel better.

• Like 1