Is RUSH better than the Beatles

losingit2k

108 members have voted

1. 1. Is RUSH Better than The Beatles

• Yes
    • No
    • The Same

EMPHATIC 'YES'. Rush helped propel rock to a whole new level.

:eyeroll:

As opposed to The Beatles who made a minor splash in the music industry?

And I don't get the argument for Rush being this majorly influential band, but I guess for me it's because for the most part I don't give a shit AT ALL about the bands they influenced. I think, for example, it's cool that there are a lot of big names in music on BTLS from the past 30 years who sing the praises of Rush and how they influenced them, but I don't EVER listen to any of those bands.

It's kind of like people talking about Nirvana being so influential and changing music - maybe, but they influenced a generation of whiny, moody crap. I'm sorry to compare Rush to Nirvana, as Rush are one of the best bands of all time and Nirvana is the most overrated band of all time, but the principle still remains.

Yeah, Rush made a big impact, but it's no comparison to The Beatles who influenced EVERYTHING that came after. It's not even close. They shouldn't even be in the same conversation.

Edited by rushgoober

And I don't get the argument for Rush being this majorly influential band, but I guess for me it's because for the most part I don't give a shit AT ALL about the bands they influenced. I think, for example, it's cool that there are a lot of big names in music on BTLS from the past 30 years who sing the praises of Rush and how they influenced them, but I don't EVER listen to any of those bands.

It's kind of like people talking about Nirvana being so influential and changing music - maybe, but they influenced a generation of whiny, moody crap. I'm sorry to compare Rush to Nirvana, as Rush are one of the best bands of all time and Nirvana is the most overrated band of all time, but the principle still remains.

Yeah, Rush made a big impact, but it's no comparison to The Beatles who influenced EVERYTHING that came after. It's not even close. They shouldn't even be in the same conversation.

Way to overreact to GeddyLeeRoth, ya blowhard. :LOL:

why, is he a troll or something? i have no idea... regardless, hopefully i brought up some more controversial points to keep this thread in action for a little while longer. ;)

Edited by rushgoober

These kind of threads come "once in a Lifetime"!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvM6TxUnCDE

Meh, they're the same as they ever were.

You psycho killers... :facepalm:

Argh! How did we get here?

Via the road to nowhere of course!

You may ask yourself, is it Rush or is it Beatles? (teacher's futile attempt to redirect class discussion. It's a habit....)

And you may tell yourself "MY GOD! WHAT HAVE THE BEATLES DONE!"

• Like 1

why, is he a troll or something? i have no idea...

No. I was being serious. Your reply was overblown, and when you talk about Nirvava or other bands you don't give a shit about because you know no actual knowledge of them other than what you've read in People, you're a blowhard. :) IMO :LOL:

But Rock music is generational . Lennon and Mcartney name someone like Chuck Berry as an influence.. I think you'd be hard pressed to find many modern players who rave about Chuck Berry.. Same with Rush.. They have influenced modern players..

Oh and I had to go back and look .. The Beatles have 18 cover songs within their first 4 albums..what's up with that!

Edited by Xanadoood

No. I was being serious. Your reply was overblown, and when you talk about Nirvava or other bands you don't give a shit about because you know no actual knowledge of them other than what you've read in People, you're a blowhard. :) IMO :LOL:

oh, ok then, i respectfully disagree. and i've heard PLENTY of music from bands inspired by Nirvana and the bands that musicians come from who were in BTLS, and I just find it all a lot of drudgery and unappealing music, so for them to be the results of being inspired by Rush I just don't find impressive at all. The only group I know of that Rush directly influenced that I like at all is Dream Theater, and even then I only like Scenes From A Memory - the rest is just heavy meatl wankery. Anyway, regardless of that, to try and compare Rush's influence to The Beatles is beyond ludicrous.

And I don't read People magazine. Do they really write about Metallica and Smashing Pumpkins and Nine Inch Nails and the Foo Fighters and Rage Against the Machine and Primus and all the other obnoxious and crap bands that Rush influenced and passes for good music?

Edited by rushgoober

These kind of threads come "once in a Lifetime"!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvM6TxUnCDE

Meh, they're the same as they ever were.

You psycho killers... :facepalm:

Argh! How did we get here?

Via the road to nowhere of course!

You may ask yourself, is it Rush or is it Beatles? (teacher's futile attempt to redirect class discussion. It's a habit....)

And you may tell yourself "MY GOD! WHAT HAVE THE BEATLES DONE!"

ha! Very good.

A record collection without Fear of Music, Remain In Light, Stop Making Sense & Speaking In Tongues is a sad, lonely, johnny-no-mates collection.

But Rock music is generational . Lennon and Mcartney name someone like Chuck Berry as an influence.. I think you'd be hard pressed to find many modern players who rave about Chuck Berry.. Same with Rush.. They have influenced modern players..

Yeah, but have they influenced anyone worthwhile? I would argue a big fat NO. That's not Rush's fault per se, but for the kind of music Rush plays, it's just not something that's very repeatable other than musicians loving hard rock music and being inspired to take their instruments more seriously. That's not a small thing, but to compare what they did to The Beatles, who wrote songs that were a hundred times more melodic and accessible, who broke all the rules, who created so many rules and who had the influence they had in changing music forever... well, it's just not even a comparison. And this is coming from someone who's favorite band is Rush. I can see it, but some people can't see past their own bias or subjective preferences. It's all good.

• Like 1

oh, ok then, i respectfully disagree. and i've heard PLENTY of music from bands inspired by Nirvana and the bands that musicians come from who were in BTLS, and I just find it all a lot of drudgery and unappealing music, so for them to be the results of being inspired by Rush I just don't find impressive at all. The only group I know of that Rush directly influenced that I like at all is Dream Theater, and even then I only like Scenes From A Memory - the rest is just heavy meatl wankery. Anyway, regardless of that, to try and compare Rush's influence to The Beatles is beyond ludicrous.

And I don't read People magazine. Do they really write about Metallica and Smashing Pumpkins and Nine Inch Nails and the Foo Fighters and Rage Against the Machine and Primus and all the other obnoxious and crap bands that Rush influenced and passes for good music?

Haha.. Goobs, with all due respect, the one band you named out of those that gets the most backlash, and is in fact poked fun at , is Dream Theater.. All the others have some respect in the industry...in fact, I'm a little embarrassed when Dream Theater is mentioned as a big influence .. They are like Rush on steroids with a dash of Spinal Tap

Edited by Xanadoood

There is nary a post your ego won't want to respond to. :LOL:

BTLS. Bacon Tomato Lettuce Sandwich. And you know, you can't spell Beatles without BTLS. :yes:

Yeah, but have they influenced anyone worthwhile? I would argue a big fat NO. That's not Rush's fault per se, but for the kind of music Rush plays, it's just not something that's very repeatable other than musicians loving hard rock music and being inspired to take their instruments more seriously. That's not a small thing, but to compare what they did to The Beatles, who wrote songs that were a hundred times more melodic and accessible, who broke all the rules, who created so many rules and who had the influence they had in changing music forever... well, it's just not even a comparison. And this is coming from someone who's favorite band is Rush. I can see it, but some people can't see past their own bias or subjective preferences. It's all good.

When you're the only game in town, like The Beales were, of course you are going to be influential... Everyone always talks about the Ed Sullivan appearance.. That could have been any number of young, good looking bands at the time..

I haven't been following the thread that closely, but when was it decided to abandon the argument as to who is better (which is a silly argument -- of course Rush going to win such a poll when it's posted on a Rush message board) and instead argue who is more influential?

The Beatles are unique.

I bet that there are a lot of other bands besides Dream Theater, that were influenced by Rush. Steven Wilson always names Rush as a big influence for himself. I talked to Away from Voivod many years ago and he also said, one of the biggest influences to Voivod, were Rush.

I haven't been following the thread that closely, but when was it decided to abandon the argument as to who is better (which is a silly argument -- of course Rush going to win such a poll when it's posted on a Rush message board) and instead argue who is more influential?

The Talking Heads

The Beatles are unique.

I bet that there are a lot of other bands besides Dream Theater, that were influenced by Rush. Steven Wilson always names Rush as a big influence for himself. I talked to Away from Voivod many years ago and he also said, one of the biggest influences to Voivod, were Rush.

Voivod and Porcupine Tree suck donkey balls, come on

( joking )

• Like 1

Haha.. Goobs, with all due respect, the one band you named out of those that gets the most backlash, and is in fact poked fun at , is Dream Theater.. All the others have some respect in the industry...in fact, I'm a little embarrassed when Dream Theater is mentioned as a big influence .. They are like Rush on steroids with a dash of Spinal Tap

And that's fine. Respect in the industry is whatever it is. I mean, I guess some bands have to have respect today just so they still have something to talk about, even if they don't deserve it.

Yeah, but have they influenced anyone worthwhile? I would argue a big fat NO.

I think the only question that applies is, which band influenced YOU most? For me, that's Rush- no contest. [End AynRand mode]

When you're the only game in town, like The Beales were, of course you are going to be influential... Everyone always talks about the Ed Sullivan appearance.. That could have been any number of young, good looking bands at the time..

They had an advantage of coming around at a great time in rock and roll where a break out band COULD take over the known universe. THEY were the ones who did, however, and it's not because of luck. It's because they were musical geniuses that made a shit ton of hugely popular influential albums filled with insanely accessible, melodic and deep songs. They were not the only game in town - The Rolling Stones, The Who, The Kinks, The Animals - no one else from The British Invasion did what The Beatles did - and those are great, hugely influential bands I just mentioned, but even they didn't have the monster appeal that The Beatles did.

There is nary a post your ego won't want to respond to. :LOL:

BTLS. Bacon Tomato Lettuce Sandwich. And you know, you can't spell Beatles without BTLS. :yes:

I don't know what you're doing, but I'm just having fun conversing and debating. You know, something to pass the time until we die. :P

I think the only question that applies is, which band influenced YOU most? For me, that's Rush- no contest. [End AynRand mode]

And then we come full circle to how you interpret the word "BETTER" in the poll question. Rush influenced me the most too. And still The Beatles are a far, far better band.

But Rock music is generational . Lennon and Mcartney name someone like Chuck Berry as an influence.. I think you'd be hard pressed to find many modern players who rave about Chuck Berry.. !

The importance of Chuck Berry on modern music CANNOT be overstated.

And then we come full circle to how you interpret the word "BETTER" in the poll question. Rush influenced me the most too. And still The Beatles are a far, far better band.

I was really only referring to your sub-argument about which band had influenced more bands. The argument regarding the interpretation of the word 'better' is a whole other kettle of fish, and beyond the realms of my puny mind. :P

But Rock music is generational . Lennon and Mcartney name someone like Chuck Berry as an influence.. I think you'd be hard pressed to find many modern players who rave about Chuck Berry.. !

The importance of Chuck Berry on modern music CANNOT be overstated.

Great writers need to understand basic grammar. Chuck Berry is basic grammar. Great guitar players need to understand Chuck Berry. I love love love Chuck Berry.

• Like 1