Ever experience RUSH in your life?

Snorlax2112

This was a question for the survey on the Rush Fan Stories website. I just thought if anyone else experience any Rush sightings when you are not listening to their music or at their concerts.

Sometimes at school when I wear a Rush shirt, there's always someone who comments on it and demands a high-five. I go to a small school that contains only a few hundred people, so it's kinda a big deal. I also hear plenty of Rush songs on the radio. And I'm not talking about songs like Tom Sawyer or Closer to the Heart, I'm talking about songs like New World Man and Distant Early Warning.

If you have any experiences like these, share them. I'm always interested in this kinda stuff.

Ya they're rare but it's cool how Rush is that kind of band where every time you see someone in a rush shirt you feel an instant connection. Like we're all members of a club or something!

Doesn't happen often but late last night I pulled up in front of my house and a kid was walking by in a CA tour shirt. I said "nice shirt" and he starts telling me it was his first Rush show.

When I asked what he thought of the show he just says "I was BLOWN AWAY!"

• Like 2

This topic reminds me of the pre-internet days when some of us would long to meet other SERIOUS Rush fans to share our passion with. Rush have always been pretty popular but back then it was really hard to find the serious fans or even to get inside info. I about **** when a guy that lived close to my Grandmother's house had Exit Stage Left on Laserdisc. I had never seen it before. Nothing beats those days of first discovering the band and getting their records one by one. I think pre-internet was actually more exciting because the band was a little more mysterious. Edited by presto123
  • Like 5

This was a question for the survey on the Rush Fan Stories website. I just thought if anyone else experience any Rush sightings when you are not listening to their music or at their concerts.

Sometimes at school when I wear a Rush shirt, there's always someone who comments on it and demands a high-five. I go to a small school that contains only a few hundred people, so it's kinda a big deal. I also hear plenty of Rush songs on the radio. And I'm not talking about songs like Tom Sawyer or Closer to the Heart, I'm talking about songs like New World Man and Distant Early Warning.

If you have any experiences like these, share them. I'm always interested in this kinda stuff.

Welcome...and yeah. it's cool when it happens. Flying from Dallas to Madrid this summer it was mealtime and the flight attendant leans in with my food...Lo and behold he's wearing a RUSH lanyard to hold his ID. Turned out he was a huge fan and had just caught them at back to back shows.

• Like 1

Ya they're rare but it's cool how Rush is that kind of band where every time you see someone in a rush shirt you feel an instant connection. Like we're all members of a club or something!

Members of a family!
  • Like 1

I saw some old guy at Madison Square Garden in 2011 who said he'd been to 35 Rush shows (15 that tour). He smiled at me and I noticed he was missing two teeth. Seeing as I was twelve, I was rather creeped out. Not a great way to start your first ever concert. (It's okay, though. I was blown away by the show and it was a spectacular experience. Still remember that creepy hobo dude, though.)
  • Like 1

working the drive thru one night, a guy was wearing a Rush Time Machine tour shirt. when he pulled up I was like "RUUUSSSHHHH!!!!!!" he was very pleased I noticed lol
  • Like 1

Members of a family!

Or a cult...as some might put it.

• Like 3

I went out-of-province to catch a Rush show last year, all on my lonesome, and wore my Rush shirt (A Farewell to Kings-era skull wearing a crown) over top a long-sleeved shirt. I was walking around downtown, checking out the city, and I got a few appreciative nods and 'hellos' from guys that noticed. I had my ipod's earbuds in as I was walking (listening to Rush, of course!), and ended up walking by a busker playing guitar, and he paused for a second during his playing to give me a salute in appreciation of my Rush shirt. I smiled at him, thinking I would have time to chat a bit on my way back, but it soon started raining and he was gone when I walked by again, unfortunately. Wish I'd been more 'in-the-moment' with that, instead of assuming it would be there for later!

Another little Rush moment I had is a while back I was negotiating with this guy from our local classifieds to sell me his vinyl copy of Rush. We kept missing each other, and I'd said he could come into my workplace to drop it off and I'd give him money, but he ended up coming in on a rare day off and just left it for me, without needing payment, which was nice of him. I was thrilled when I went into work and found it sitting in the office! But my boss had decided that the picture of Geddy on the back of the record cover was ugly, and had covered it up with a post-it drawing he'd made of Geddy, adding bunny ears to his caricature, for whatever reason. I tried to explain that Geddy was actually cute (and, to me, anyway, in the 70s he did seem to have this almost prettiness about him), and my boss turned to me and said, "You would totally sleep with him, wouldn't you?" I blushed, completely caught off guard, and tried to stammer out my outrage at such an indecent thought. I don't think my denial was very convincing, though!

I saw some old guy at Madison Square Garden in 2011 who said he'd been to 35 Rush shows (15 that tour). He smiled at me and I noticed he was missing two teeth. Seeing as I was twelve, I was rather creeped out. Not a great way to start your first ever concert. (It's okay, though. I was blown away by the show and it was a spectacular experience. Still remember that creepy hobo dude, though.)

dude must not be a hobo if he can afford 15 rush gigs

living in Georgia, I've noticed lots of rush shirts out in public usually the week after every Atlanta gig. then it sort of dies down, but sometimes at shows I see rush shirts or at record stores or something

dude must not be a hobo if he can afford 15 rush gigs

By the looks of him, I'll bet he'd been eating ramen for dinner for the last three months.

Ok here's one of many. Back in college 1982-86 I went to small private black college. We were all dj's to make extra money along with working as waiters at Denny's to pay rent. I was the one dj to bring rock tunes that could be mixed in withe music of the times....queen, Gary Newman, Talking Heads etc to funk r+b.

So we were the party people, friends would come over to our apartment to watch Super Bowls and for our auber alles parties. Now in my bedroom I had the huge satin like Muriel in green my favorite color that took up a whole wall of RUSH. All the girls or whoever came in to plays games, watch MTV would ask....who the hell are these 3 white boys? I had my top of the line equipment in there and I would play New World Man or The Camera Eye etc. They would be like that is some kool shit, after some smoke I would have he'll to get them out of there unless it was some girl.

People were so caught up with my green satin like Muriel. I can't remember where I got or where it is now. I hope it's somewhere in my mothers attic. I would anything to dig it up, it's a classic. Its something i would never ever throw away.

Does anyone out there know this kind of Muriel I'm talking about?

Peace

Edited by g under p
  • Like 2

If anyone wants a great Rush moment to happen to them, then wear a rush shirt while attending PASIC, the percussion convention. Obviously there are many Peart fans there, I must have gotten at least 7 compliments in one day just for wearing a power windows shirt.
  • Like 1

Rush T shirts are rare in Wales. I live on the wrong continent.

However I passed another car with the registration B8 TOR earlier today and wondered if the owner was a fan of early Rush... You never know!

I was at my daughter's soccer game in a small town last year and up walks this guy in an awesome red S&A Tour shirt. I said awesome shirt man an he looks at me like I was crazy. He said he wa just wearing it because his daughters team was red.

Kind of got the big FU from him and kept walking. Very strange.

• Like 1

When I was about 5 or 6, my sister and I absolutely loved watching Rush in Rio. My favorite part was (and still is) the dragon intro before One Littly Victory. When we would play dragons, she would be the red dragon from the dvd cover and I would be the purple dragon from the live album cover.

Also, one time I was wearing a Rush shirt at school and this cute guy acknowledged it, which was pretty awesome, I hope that happens again this year.

Edited by thegirlintherushshirt
  • Like 2

Oh Yea, DAILY !

Even when my car is parked @ home, people will stop & take pictures, Drive by slowly cranking "Rush" while waving.

But It's when I'm on-shift delivering Pizza for NewYorkPizzaDepartment that I get the most exposure. My pizza joint is in a large crowded shopping mall type place & I have the front foremost parking spot that everybody walks by.

I have met ex-roadie's, ex-pilots, old fans, new fans, most recent met Billy Siegle from Fender Guitars & he is Geddys personal representative at Fender. I have delivered to people house's & they have had me come in to see their Rush stuff.

People, Strangers, have come inside to find who own's the "Rush" car, just to talk about Rush.

FLIP SIDE...... Just as many have NO clue of Who or What Rush is, Or they they will say, oh yea they used to be a band way back ! NO CLUE !

Then there are the "Road Rage" people..... Fan's who have to get next to you just to give you the thumbs up @ 75 mph. I do forget sometime's people are honking & waving because they love RUSH & what I have done to the car to express that.

I've had the "Personalized Plate" GOTRUSH since the GotMilk campaign in the 90's

My Blazer has plate # 2112

The Oversize decal began in 2002 Tour, was put on my then chevy astro van just for the week of the show, But never removed it & have since had Many trucks,vans & now Car, ALL have the Huge Rush decal, got love it !!!

http://i994.photobuc...zpse458c2a1.jpg - Current Front european style plate, made in Germany, Excellent quailty

http://i994.photobuc...Rush/soul11.jpg - Parked in red zone in front of NYPD Pizza joint

http://i994.photobuc...soulrearbo2.jpg - Big Decal ! + other's......

http://i994.photobuc...sh/van2003a.jpg - 2nd Van that I put Huge Decals on

http://i994.photobuc...h/RushPlate.jpg - Main Rear License Plate - personal

• Like 2

Rush T shirts are rare in Wales. I live on the wrong continent.

Plenty of Rush fans there, though. I've had comments on my shirts from Caerdydd to Prestatyn, and recently had a guy follow me through Aberdyfi calling out Rush song titles in response to my 2112 shirt!

Had to go to my daughter's middle school about a month ago for a meeting. I'm in the parking lot and walking past this Jaguar. The guy had his windows down and on his radio is playing the ESL version of Bangkok. I walked past but had to turn around and give him props. I said "Excuse me. Major Rush fan here. That's awesome." He just laughed and said "cool".

We're forever bonded now. Cosmically even.

• Like 1