Why do People Always Refer to 2112 as a "Concept Album"? It isn't!!

Drummerrobin

Never understood why 2112 always get called a "concept album". Yes it has a big multi-part 20 minute piece but so does Hemispheres and is that a concept album? No. Is Caress of Steel a concept album? No. Is Close to the Edge a concept album? No. Then why is 2112 always incorrectly labelled as one?! How is A Passage to Bangkok even remotely related to anything else on the album? Who is responsible for these lies? Someone please explain! Arrrgh... :madra:

Based on your definition, "power windows" would be a concept album since every song deals with some kind of power.

Based on your definition, "power windows" would be a concept album since every song deals with some kind of power.

And RTB, CP, T4E.

People use the term (incorrectly) as a shorthand for albums where much of the music is devoted to a conceptual piece. The only true concept album Rush has done is CA.
  • Like 1

And RTB, CP, T4E.

When I think about it, these Rush albums deal with a theme, not necessarily a concept.

• Like 1

And RTB, CP, T4E.

When I think about it, these Rush albums deal with a theme, not necessarily a concept.

I certainly think the first 3 of those albums come far closer to being concept albums than 2112 does (though not sure what the theme for Test for Echo is).

Maybe because when anyone (you know, those people out there) thinks of 2112 the album, they can only think about the 20-some-minute piece talking about a guy and a guitar and whatnot. They don't think of the other songs on the album, which, contrary to popular belief, do exist. :LOL:

Interesting how massively 2112 the song overshadows the rest of the album in the public eye, despite people constantly praising the album for its quality... makes you ask, "Alright, which one are we really talking about here?"

Edited by Retrospective

And RTB, CP, T4E.

T4E's theme?

The way I see it, it's a concept album to many people given that a long song by today's standards is 4 minutes and for some reason, people tend to associate concept album with very very long songs. Edited by USB Connector

I thought all Rush albums were concept albums.

Aren't they all about Ayn Rand and space ships? :huh:

• Like 1

Geddy Lee agrees with you.

Neil, too, if I'm not mistaken.

And RTB, CP, T4E.

T4E's theme?

playing with traditional grip.. ;)

Yeah, to the press, 2112 the album is 2112 the song. The other tracks are just kind of there. Kind of off topic, but does anyone else find it odd that the record label complained about the 20 minute song, not going the radio friendly route, when the other 5 songs on the album all clock in between 3 and 4 minutes? That seems pretty accessible to me.

forget all that jazz. someone please tell me the theme of this video!

I say it's "Mad Max meets the Three Stooges" !

after the hero escapes from town he discovers cannabis, travels the world and gets so fried he ends up in the twilight zone, and when he comes down he learns a valuable lesson. when he realizes he's out of weed he starts crying, but finally realizes that you cant get something for nothing, and he must get a job to support his weed habit
  • Like 4

i recall watching Al talk about CA in some online video in which he mentioned he himself believed all rush albums were concept albums, possibly referring to some kind of conceptual thread running through all the tracks on each album, however vague.

i know what you mean about 2112 its kinda like a half-concept album isnt it, but i'll take the great man's word for it on this one.

Edited by lifeson90

I seem to recall in Beyond The Lighted Stage they talked about the first side of the album being the "concept" piece...i think they touch on it in the Classic Albums 2112/Moving Pictures dvd as well....but really if you sit around listening long enough, you'll eventually find that just about every Rush album is a "concept" album

I seem to recall in Beyond The Lighted Stage they talked about the first side of the album being the "concept" piece...i think they touch on it in the Classic Albums 2112/Moving Pictures dvd as well....but really if you sit around listening long enough, you'll eventually find that just about every Rush album is a "concept" album

even caress of steel?

even caress of steel?

Well...yeah I got nothing for that...i guess it could go in the same category as 2112. Containing some conceptual pieces...the rest of the album is just kinda there....but its there in the best way.