RIP James Gandolfini, 51

laughedatbytime

James Gandolfini has died in Italy of an apparent heart attack.

James Gandolfini -- who famously played Tony Soprano on "The Sopranos" -- reportedly died earlier today in Italy ... TMZ has learned.

Gandolfini is believed to have suffered a heart attack, this according to Deadline.com. He was 51.

Gandolfini was in Italy to attend the 59th Taormina Film Festival in Sicily -- and he was scheduled to participate in a festival event this weekend with Italian director Gabriele Muccino.

Gandolfini shot to fame playing a hitman in the 1993 hit "True Romance" ... and quickly became a Hollywood legend when he was cast as Tony Soprano in 1999. He won 3 Emmy awards for the role during the show's 6 season run.

Gandolfini also appeared in a ton of huge movies including "Get Shorty," "The Mexican" and "Zero Dark Thirty."

We last spoke to Gandolfini last month in L.A. -- he was in great spirits, making funny faces and joking about a "Sopranos" movie.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2013/06/19/james-gandolfini-dead-dies-italy/#ixzz2WhzNno6w

Visit Fishwrapper: http://www.fishwrapper.com

This is not a good day. I'm still feeling oddly gutted over Vince Flynn, also too young at 47.

What the f**k? Tony Soprano can't die :(

I just recently started watching through The Sopranos again. My first time going through it since the show ended. The guy was such a great actor.

RIP :rose:

Wow, same reaction I had.

I don't know what to say, this fell on me like a ton of bricks. It's similar to how I felt when Bernie Mac died.

I thought it was a hoax when I first read it on Facebook, but unfortunately it's not. Such a great actor taken down too soon.

What the f**k? Tony Soprano can't die :(

I just recently started watching through The Sopranos again. My first time going through it since the show ended. The guy was such a great actor.

RIP :rose:

Wow, same reaction I had.

I had that same reaction too - even I said what the ****? :o

:rose:

Never watched Saprano's but his character in Crimson Tide was memorable. Bobby, one of the Captain's (Hackman) allies in a mutiny by the XO (Washington). wow... 51, that's just a couple ticks above me.

I've never watched the Soprano's...what's the allure?

The zombie and Mobster genre has been done to death, no pun intended, in the industry, and i find most takes on them boring and uninspired these days. But he really did bring a fresh approach to the mob boss character. I liked him in True Romance as well.

Tony Soprano was one of the great antiheros in TV history. There are a lot of folks that just aren't comfortable with that kind of protagonist. I thought the character was brilliant. .