Hey, so I was looking through the new articles posted about Rush on the Power Windows website, when I found an article interviewing Geddy, and he is asked his top favorite albums. Of course he is hesitant because like all of them have said, it is like picking a favorite child, he did narrow it down to 2112, Moving Pictures, Power Windows, and Clockwork Angels (not in that order), because he felt they were the most satisfying. I think it does not shock anyone to see 2112, MP, and CA on there, but I am wondering what everyone thinks of Power Windows being up there. I am over-joyed, but slightly shocked, seeing as how not many interviews from the era have them particularly happy with the album compared to how much praise they are giving CA. I would be even more shocked if they did not feature more than halve the album over the last two tours. I was just wondering what everyone else thought, if it is or surprising or not. Here is the link to the article. http://www.list.co.uk/article/51389-interview-with-rush-singer-bassist-geddy-lee/
  • Like 1

I've known for a long time that he liked Power Windows. I remember him also stating that he was not satisfied with Grace Under Pressure, but that was a while ago.

Lost in Xanadu,

I don't know if you're joking or not, but I know that the band hated making the album - so many technical difficulties and that his voice was too high. Whereas Permanent Waves, based on interviews I've seen and read, was a pleasure to make.

Not seeing Permanent Waves is a surprise. Seeing Power Windows is - it's not a bad album, in fact it's a great album, but they have quite a few that are better still.

I was actually hoping this thread was about Geddy's favorite NON-Rush albums. Has he ever listed off what those would be? :huh:

Lost in Xanadu,

I don't know if you're joking or not, but I know that the band hated making the album - so many technical difficulties and that his voice was too high. Whereas Permanent Waves, based on interviews I've seen and read, was a pleasure to make.

:)

Biggest thing that shocks me is not seeing Hemispheres on that list

Like CT said, you might have been joking there. But in all seriousness, not seeing Permanent Waves on that list is more shocking, I think.

Yeah, Permanent Waves does sound like an album that even a band that's not Rush would record.

Seeing as PoW saw Geddy's influence over the sound of the band at its height and allowed keyboards to take the melodic lead on many songs, this doesn't surprise me a bit. Also, he's maintained his love of that album for a long time.
  • Like 1

Its a great album and no surprise that he Likes it that much! He sound great all over it. Bass, Vocals its nearly perfect from his point of view. Now that might not be the case with the other two. I don't see Alex sharing his enthusiasm on that particular album. :no:

I read somewhere, most likely the book Chemistry, that Geddy thinks 2112, Moving Pictures, Power Windows and Test for Echo where the albums he thought represented the best Rush has to offer. I'm sure, like all of us, his opinion change day to day, but he MADE the albums, so he thinks differently than us fans do. We will never understand!

Not seeing Permanent Waves is a surprise. Seeing Power Windows is - it's not a bad album, in fact it's a great album, but they have quite a few that are better still.

I was actually hoping this thread was about Geddy's favorite NON-Rush albums. Has he ever listed off what those would be? :huh:

Yeah, he gave his favorite non-rush albums here, http://thequietus.com/articles/09210-rush-geddy-lee-interview-favourite-albums

All great choices by Geddy, although is anyone else suprised to see only one album from the last 20 years on the list?

I have seen a trend where an artist would see their later work as best considering theoretically you keep growing as a muscician and get better and better. I am not saying that I disagree with Geddy's decision, but I have seen a lot of artists see their later work in a better light so it is intresting to see his choices be a lot of older (and awesome) material

I do know that Geddy has said that he feels like they could do the material off of Presto better than when they recorded it. And he has made remarks of some of the RTB tunes - Neurotica comes to mind - that he was wondering what he was thinking when he wrote it lol

Edited by Analog_Bro

All great choices by Geddy, although is anyone else suprised to see only one album from the last 20 years on the list?

I have seen a trend where an artist would see their later work as best considering theoretically you keep growing as a muscician and get better and better. I am not saying that I disagree with Geddy's decision, but I have seen a lot of artists see their later work in a better light so it is intresting to see his choices be a lot of older (and awesome) material

I do know that Geddy has said that he feels like they could do the material off of Presto better than when they recorded it. And he has made remarks of some of the RTB tunes - Neurotica comes to mind - that he was wondering what he was thinking when he wrote it lol

Awe man! I love Neurotica!

But I can see why Geddy loves it. It's awesome singing and ripping bass. Especially Manhattan Project! That song is AWESOME on bass!

Yeah I dig Neurotica too!

I believe it was the interview Ged did with Billy Corgan where he mentioned listening to the song and thinking to himself "what the hell was I thinking" lol

I agree with Geddy...what the hell were they thinking when they made Neurotica?!

;)

Yeah, he gave his favorite non-rush albums here, http://thequietus.co...avourite-albums

Thanks! I actually had seen that article previously, I just forgot about it. Some GREAT albums on that list! :yes: :)

• Like 1

He always seems to name four albums when he's asked this question: 2112, Moving Pictures, Power Windows, and whatever their most recent one was. 2112 and MP for obvious reasons, PoW because it was the "essential blending of keyboards and guitar" or whatever, and the most recent one because they're always proud of their most recent one—until a bit of time passes. I think CA might have a better chance of sticking in the fourth spot than TFE, S&A, etc., but we'll see.

He always names Caress of Steel when asked about the albums he doesn't look back all that fondly on, and he's also mentioned Grace Under Pressure. It seems his views on their records have a lot to do with surrounding circumstances when the albums came out. CoS was obviously a commercial and critical low point for the group, and GUP was a tough one to make because of all the crap they went through trying to find a producer.

Edited by Cyclonus X-1

gotta be honest, of all the albums of the last twenty years, ok computer would be the only one to get in my all-time list too

good to see the yes album (superb) and nursery cryme in there too (like genesis were awesome)

just a tad surprised no hawkwind in there though :)

I have Bjork's "Post" CD. I wasn't too fond of that one. Although she has a song on it called "headphones" which I like.

gotta be honest, of all the albums of the last twenty years, ok computer would be the only one to get in my all-time list too

good to see the yes album (superb) and nursery cryme in there too (like genesis were awesome)

just a tad surprised no hawkwind in there though :)

I'd have liked to see some more obscure less obvious groups/albums on his list, but still he has great taste... Bjork aside...

Power Windows has some of their finest playing on it. Seriously. If you listen to how Ged's bass lines combine with Neil's drumming for a rock solid rhythm section, and how Alex's tasteful arpeggios, noodling, and lead work complement the melodic keyboards, along with the stellar production by Peter Henderson... Man, that is one great record. Geddy was top-notch on it, vocally, too.

I think I remember him saying in an interview around 1986 that it was an enjoyable album to make, and that they enjoyed the PoW tour more than the GUP tour.

Also, of course they should be proud of their latest work. It seems they are thrilled with how CA came out. The only other instance I can remember in which he/they had such enthusiasm was after they had released Test For Echo. I remember Ged at least said in an interview around '96/'97 that it was their most enjoyable album to make to date.