14yo girl shreds better than Eddie Van Halen

Tom Sawyer

Sorry, but i dont think she came close to the original. Maybe that was her intent, but it sounds like she took the framework of Eruption and just played some fast licks over the parts...the only section she really played right was the ending taps. Sorry to be so harsh, she obviously has skills and is on her way to becoming a great player,shes 14, yeah i get it, but that sounded nothing like the original..

Sorry, but i dont think she came close to the original. Maybe that was her intent, but it sounds like she took the framework of Eruption and just played some fast licks over the parts...the only section she really played right was the ending taps. Sorry to be so harsh, she obviously has skills and is on her way to becoming a great player,shes 14, yeah i get it, but that sounded nothing like the original..

Disagree big time.

• Like 3

Disagree big time.

She was very close to note for note. My issue was with her timing/tempo. Even though this is a free-style piece, she was kind of all over the place speeding up and slowing down and such. She did an excellent job with the taps.

And I didn't care for her tone at all. It was way too nasaly and drenched in delay. That can be fixed, though.

Edited by Sheldon Cooper
  • Like 1

Disagree big time.

She was very close to note for note. My issue was with her timing/tempo. Even though this is a free-style piece, she was kind of all over the place speeding up and slowing down and such. She did an excellent job with the taps.

And I didn't care for her tone at all. It was way too nasaly and drenched in delay. That can be fixed, though.

She's obviously very talented, and her rendition of Eruption was very accurate. But the problem with anyone doing covers of instrumentals, IMO, is a lack of feeling. Young amateurs like this girl are little more than technical mimics. I'd rather see her play a full song with a real band....and perhaps some original songs.

• Like 2

She seemed to rush certain parts of it to get to the "famous" bits ie the tapping section. Her articulation fluctuated, there wasn't the same value in all her notes. Obviously it's not close to the original, I don't even think that was her intention. Not bad for a kid though.

Practice, practice, practice.

There are child prodigies in music ALL the time, so I'm not THAT impressed.

With that said, she can play and has more talent in her pinkie than I ever will in my entirety.

Disagree big time.

Agree with that. Just mimicking the notes for this song isn't enough. Eddie plays this with a lot of swagger and attitude. Without those things, "Eruption" is just a bunch of licks strung together.

Here's a guy named Pete Thorn. He's a pretty well-known session and touring guitarist. Very versatile, very talented. His version of this is the best I've heard -- and after you hear him play it, you'll want to listen to him talk about it, then teach you how to play it.

There are four parts. The level of detail he goes into is astonishing. Even if you don't plan on sitting down and learning this, or even if you don't play guitar, this is fun to watch. All in all, this is Eruption: Master Class.

http://youtu.be/uerlqcAYMSo

Part Two:

Part Three:

Part Four:

Disagree big time.

Agree with that. Just mimicking the notes for this song isn't enough. Eddie plays this with a lot of swagger and attitude. Without those things, "Eruption" is just a bunch of licks strung together.

Here's a guy named Pete Thorn. He's a pretty well-known session and touring guitarist. Very versatile, very talented. His version of this is the best I've heard -- and after you hear him play it, you'll want to listen to him talk about it, then teach you how to play it.

There are four parts. The level of detail he goes into is astonishing. Even if you don't plan on sitting down and learning this, or even if you don't play guitar, this is fun to watch. All in all, this is Eruption: Master Class.

Part Two:

Part Three:

Part Four:

That's true this version is fine but it hasn't got the savage attack of the Eruption on Van Halen I, nor has this girl got Eddie's tone or colour. Like many others this is good but in the end just a hollow rendition. And there is the question of her timing and tempo too.

I've been hearing guitarists trying to cover Eruption since high school, and most of the time, like this talented young lady , they just string together some fast licks , missing the feel, groove and vibe of what Eddie layed down. This dude obviously has put his homework in and respects those aspects of Eddies playing.

Nothing special. She read the tabs and played the notes but doesn't have the feel for the song. I knew these kinds of people in high school. The ones I stayed in touch with got bored and stopped playing their instrument when they realized they couldn't do much other than copy things.
  • Like 1

Disagree big time.

Part Two:

Part Three:

Part Four:

Watched the first two parts. That was really interesting. I'm looking forward to watching the other two later tonight. Almost makes me wish I had a humbucker on my guitar. :P