Is TRF A "Rush" Forum Anymore?

Nate2112

TRF used to be loaded with members with strong backgrounds in not only RUSH's catalog, but also actually playing and composing music. The conversations were deep and rich. I guess the forum never really recovered from Melodic777's departure.
  • Like 2

TRF used to be loaded with members with strong backgrounds in not only RUSH's catalog, but also actually playing and composing music. The conversations were deep and rich. I guess the forum never really recovered from Melodic777's departure.

He was such an addition to the forum. I miss him. I think of him often. A paragon of modesty & decency. He was so full of love, I thought Jesus had joined the forum.

He was such an addition to the forum. I miss him. I think of him often. A paragon of modesty & decency. He was so full of love, I thought Jesus had joined the forum.

I had to look him up - it says he's banned. What happened..?

He was TOO lovely.

He was TOO lovely.

Yes, that and something to do with sheep, skittles and keytar. The details are fuzzy.

I think he got the boot right after I joined. Did he say stuff along the lines that he was more talented than the guys in Dream Theater? :huh:

I think he got the boot right after I joined. Did he say stuff along the lines that he was more talented than the guys in Dream Theater? :huh:

Dissin' Dream Theater... that's a paddlin'

• Like 1

Now Babycat, I remember reading this on a Jordan Rudess forum years ago. He's having a go at folks who think DT have lost the ability to put together a melody....

Anyways, I can't stand schmucks that say this new stuff has no melody. They must have no brains because a melody is a succession of notes forming a distinctive sequence and there are MANY distinctive sequences in the two songs. So stop talking from your anus, and stop your hatred. Oh, and those who think the vaudeville part was outta place........shut your mouths. The part fits precisely as it gives an old school horror movie effect based on the context of the song and the dark feel of it.

All these people that think they are producers saying that DT isn't making music that makes sense, or that it isn't good should just do us a favor, save us some oxygen, go jump off a building.......its getting old that we have to hear a bunch of people who probably bag groceries for a living telling us how Dream Theater isn't doing their jobs correctly.........hmmmmmmm

Too lovely.

He was the resident expert on bass tone, as I recall. He got into several epic exchanges with members around Geddy's tone, in particular. Truly majestic trolling that really brought the sharks out. Worth searching. :cheers:

He was the resident expert on bass tone, as I recall. He got into several epic exchanges with members around Geddy's tone, in particular. Truly majestic trolling that really brought the sharks out. Worth searching. :cheers:

So he's truly gone but definitely not forgotten...

Now Babycat, I remember reading this on a Jordan Rudess forum years ago. He's having a go at folks who think DT have lost the ability to put together a melody....

Anyways, I can't stand schmucks that say this new stuff has no melody. They must have no brains because a melody is a succession of notes forming a distinctive sequence and there are MANY distinctive sequences in the two songs. So stop talking from your anus, and stop your hatred. Oh, and those who think the vaudeville part was outta place........shut your mouths. The part fits precisely as it gives an old school horror movie effect based on the context of the song and the dark feel of it.

All these people that think they are producers saying that DT isn't making music that makes sense, or that it isn't good should just do us a favor, save us some oxygen, go jump off a building.......its getting old that we have to hear a bunch of people who probably bag groceries for a living telling us how Dream Theater isn't doing their jobs correctly.........hmmmmmmm

Too lovely.

I'm not adverse (is that the right word?) to a bit of DT, but who's Jordan Rudess..?

I joined so I could get access to the Different Stages forum, but found the MMM sub-forum enjoyable and gradually explored the other sections of this board. I post just about everywhere, and enjoy the company of everyone here!
  • Like 1

Too lovely.

I'm not adverse (is that the right word?) to a bit of DT, but who's Jordan Rudess..?

No worries - just worked it out..! :D

And I miss Cosy Toes. His troll posts were funny and he also made worthwhile contributions in MOTS.

What happened to Cosy Toes? I remember reading his posts before I joined, but he hasn't been around in a long time. Did he do something heinous that I missed and get banned? :huh:

He got banned. I don't remember why, but he probably went over the line with his posts. I know he's had many other accounts that he got banned from, but I don't think he ever came back.

He was a funny guy. He got a suspension and really never came back when it ended. I think he still reads the forum. I must confess that I was one of those that picked at him a bit and may have led to his deciding not to to stick around. I apologize if he is reading.

Cosy Toes was Nickslikk2112 from CP forum. He was already banned here as NickSlikk but kept returning under aliases which were subsequently banned as the Admin Team sussed him.. There is NO way in Hell you scared him off!

He was originally banned from here for posting (quoting) lyrics in a way that made him seem suicidal. Members and Admin were worried about him and did not see the joke as they were not familiar with the lyrics. He got banned for ruining the weekend of the Admin Team.

Nick's a funny guy and originator of the "Old Rush good, new Rush bad" mantra. He's also famous for the Neil Peart "ferry incident" and for wearing LP album sleeves on his head.

Here he is getting the last laugh on Peart:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v619/reedlover/CP%20Pics/067fa7d209aa6f31b2f5215f95ee99f0_zps4766be3d.jpg

• Like 2

And I miss Cosy Toes. His troll posts were funny and he also made worthwhile contributions in MOTS.

What happened to Cosy Toes? I remember reading his posts before I joined, but he hasn't been around in a long time. Did he do something heinous that I missed and get banned? :huh:

He got banned. I don't remember why, but he probably went over the line with his posts. I know he's had many other accounts that he got banned from, but I don't think he ever came back.

He was a funny guy. He got a suspension and really never came back when it ended. I think he still reads the forum. I must confess that I was one of those that picked at him a bit and may have led to his deciding not to to stick around. I apologize if he is reading.

Cosy Toes was Nickslikk2112 from CP forum. He was already banned here as NickSlikk but kept returning under aliases which were subsequently banned as the Admin Team sussed him.. There is NO way in Hell you scared him off!

He was originally banned from here for posting (quoting) lyrics in a way that made him seem suicidal. Members and Admin were worried about him and did not see the joke as they were not familiar with the lyrics. He got banned for ruining the weekend of the Admin Team.

Nick's a funny guy and originator of the "Old Rush good, new Rush bad" mantra. He's also famous for the Neil Peart "ferry incident" and for wearing LP album sleeves on his head.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v619/reedlover/CP%20Pics/067fa7d209aa6f31b2f5215f95ee99f0_zps4766be3d.jpg

:LOL: :rush: :smoke:

There he is! Nick's a good 'un. Nobody from TRF scared him off, puh-leaze. Met him at Sheffield on Tuesday evening, still wearing the shirt, bless him.

I've heard SO many times over the years how people really miss how TRF used to be and lament "the good old days," but I honestly don't see it having changed that much. As someone who's been here 8 years, things fluctuate, but TRF is fundamentally the same. Yes, some people stay, some people go, some topics are transitory and others perpetuate, and definitely what sub-forums individuals spend more of their time in, as well as their level of participation, tends to morph and change over time. Case in point - I used to spend a LOT of time in Random Samples, and now it took me 3 weeks to even see this thread.

The one thing that legitimately bums some people out is sometimes there are cliques on certain sub-forums or regular gatherings of certain people in the chat room, and when people leave or a certain vibe like that ends it can be a little sad for people, but that's not TRF's fault, that's just life.

If anyone complains about the good old days, that's fine and they're entitled, but I personally find that fairly counter-productive. I say go with the flow and enjoy it for what it is now and who is here now.

• Like 3

There he is! Nick's a good 'un. Nobody from TRF scared him off, puh-leaze. Met him at Sheffield on Tuesday evening, still wearing the shirt, bless him.

I guess his "humor" was an acquired taste. Never found him funny.

I've heard SO many times over the years how people really miss how TRF used to be and lament "the good old days," but I honestly don't see it having changed that much. As someone who's been here 8 years, things fluctuate, but TRF is fundamentally the same. Yes, some people stay, some people go, some topics are transitory and others perpetuate, and definitely what sub-forums individuals spend more of their time in, as well as their level of participation, tends to morph and change over time. Case in point - I used to spend a LOT of time in Random Samples, and now it took me 3 weeks to even see this thread.

The one thing that legitimately bums some people out is sometimes there are cliques on certain sub-forums or regular gatherings of certain people in the chat room, and when people leave or a certain vibe like that ends it can be a little sad for people, but that's not TRF's fault, that's just life.

If anyone complains about the good old days, that's fine and they're entitled, but I personally find that fairly counter-productive. I say go with the flow and enjoy it for what it is now and who is here now.

Well put! :goodone:

Great post, goob.

As I relative newbie to TRF (1+ years ... woohoo!) I found your post very informative. I'm not really surprised. It seems to me (I could live my life) that the substance of TRF really hasn't changed over the years because the same sorts of people continue to be drawn to the band. Yes, they've achieved quite a bit of mainstream acceptance in the last few years, but at the core, it really is the music and the three men who make it that draws us together.

To all of us who've laid in a dark room with headphones on listening to Cygnus X-1 at volumes not helpful to the human ear. :haz:

To all of us who recognize it as the music of our lives. :heart:

:cheers:

• Like 2

The only thing that I have seen that has really changed since 2007 is some of the people come and go. You're right though, this place hasn't lost its personality or anything like that.

One thing that has changed though is that some of the old time posters aren't here as much or not at all. I hardly see Ghostgirl, Pags, Digital Man and Sundog. I see them on Facebook more than I see them here.

The only thing that I have seen that has really changed since 2007 is some of the people come and go. You're right though, this place hasn't lost its personality or anything like that.

Yeah, I agree. Back on page 1 I said something similar in that the core of TRF (i.e. character/personality) is essentially the same. I especially agree with goobs' last 3 sentences. Very well put Edited by JohnnyBlaze

Some of us Enjoy this Forum. This RUSH FORUM. We appreciate our active leaders. :cool: . (The ones that put this site together) Look at the members list tho and notice so many members with 0 posts or have been on in years....thats sad.