Rutsey Excluded from RRHoF Induction

Jag2112

I'm not passionate about this topic either way... hadn't even thought about it until I saw this thread.

As far as will he be acknowledged during the speech... am thinking the answer to this is no. They were touring in 2008 when he died and seem to recall there was no tribute to him at the shows immediately following his death. I could be wrong on this... but if not, would take that as a signal that no acknowledgement is forthcoming this time around.

I don't think Rush ever brought up Rutsey during a show, but they did release this statement:

Our memories of the early years of Rush when John was in the band are very fond to us. Those years spent in our teens dreaming of one day doing what we continue to do decades later are special. Although our paths diverged many years ago, we smile today, thinking back on those exciting times and remembering John's wonderful sense of humour and impeccable timing. He will be deeply missed by all he touched.

Alex & Geddy

Donations may be made in John's memory to the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, 7100 Woodbine Avenue, Suite 311, Markham, ON, L3R 5J2 (online: www.jdrf.ca, by phone: 905-944-4631).

Here's another example!!!

Something about a guy named Rutsey, who has gone to his reward, and may or may not have penned the lyrics to the first album which, if he did, he tossed them in the trash because he thought they were stanky lyrics, and then Geddy the Great hastily put together stuff, that may or may not have rhymed, so that they had something to sing with their music on their first album, not being included, not even by name since he is no longer here, at the RRHoF Induction.

Have I got it straight?

Edited to include punctuation for The Lerxster.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

Didn't Rutsey write the lyrics for the first album and at the last minute didn't let Geddy use them? Which resulted in Geddy writing most of the lyrics on the spot?

That sounds right. Or, he wrote them but never delivered them. Although that history is a bit murky, he did seem to leave Rush in a bit of a lurch there during 1974.

What I recalled reading from Contents Under Pressure was that he was supposed to write the lyrics, but didn't write enough, and didn't deliver the ones he did. So yeah.

So, he didn't contribute what he agreed to contribute?

I suppose it could be put that way.

• Like 1

Here's another example!!!

Something about a guy named Rutsey who has gone to his reward and may or may not have penned the lyrics to the first album which if he did he tossed them in the trash because he thought they were stanky lyrics and then Geddy the Great hastily put together stuff that may or may not have rhymed so that they had something to sing with their music on their first album not being included not even by name since he is no longer here at the RRHoF Induction.

Have I got it straight?

I didn't understand that last part, so you get a 93%, which s still an A. :ebert:

I'm not passionate about this topic either way... hadn't even thought about it until I saw this thread.

As far as will he be acknowledged during the speech... am thinking the answer to this is no. They were touring in 2008 when he died and seem to recall there was no tribute to him at the shows immediately following his death. I could be wrong on this... but if not, would take that as a signal that no acknowledgement is forthcoming this time around.

I don't think Rush ever brought up Rutsey during a show, but they did release this statement:

Our memories of the early years of Rush when John was in the band are very fond to us. Those years spent in our teens dreaming of one day doing what we continue to do decades later are special. Although our paths diverged many years ago, we smile today, thinking back on those exciting times and remembering John's wonderful sense of humour and impeccable timing. He will be deeply missed by all he touched.

Alex & Geddy

Donations may be made in John's memory to the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, 7100 Woodbine Avenue, Suite 311, Markham, ON, L3R 5J2 (online: www.jdrf.ca, by phone: 905-944-4631).

I remember when he died and actually thought that while that statement was nice, it was brief, and I thought it was kind of a bummer that they didn't acknowledge his death at any gigs. It's actually BECAUSE of that statement and what it says that I doubt they'll mention him - they really think of him as someone who was in the band once long ago who they hadn't been in touch with for a very long time. It's understandable, but a mention would be nice. After all, that first album is better than a few other Rush albums and is seriously underrated.

Really though, it's a pretty much non-issue. I'm just thrilled they're getting in.

One thing that's for sure - while Rutsey is an important part of their history and helped them get started, Rush are getting into the RRHOF because of Hemispheres, Moving Pictures, Permanent Waves, Signals, Clockwork Angels, etc. - those kinds of albums would have been impossible with Rutsey. While it would be nice if they acknowledged him, they are not getting into the RRHOF because of him, so not mentioning him would be completely understandable. They've been at this almost 40 years without him.
  • Like 1

Rush is Geddy, Alex and Neil. Rutsey tore up the lyrics he wrote for the first album, and never even toured to promote the album. He may have been part of the band in the late 60's, but the band as we know it has always been the same 3 guys. The casual fan does not know the history with Rutsey, the controversy over him leaving the band, etc.

The same threesome has been together for almost 40 years, that is the Rush I know. I don't understand why there is any controversy over the RRHoF's decision. :huh:

• Like 1

Rush is Geddy, Alex and Neil. Rutsey tore up the lyrics he wrote for the first album, and never even toured to promote the album. He may have been part of the band in the late 60's, but the band as we know it has always been the same 3 guys. The casual fan does not know the history with Rutsey, the controversy over him leaving the band, etc.

The same threesome has been together for almost 40 years, that is the Rush I know. I don't understand why there is any controversy over the RRHoF's decision. :huh:

Because

1. Some people like controversy

2. Some people can't let go of the old grudge!

• Like 1

How many of us here were around in 1974, bought the debut album when it was released, loved it and then became angered when Rutsey was not involved in the tour and Fly By Night?

I was around, but I was 5.

• Like 1

How many of us here were around in 1974, bought the debut album when it was released, loved it and then became angered when Rutsey was not involved in the tour and Fly By Night?

Yeah, but were you angered?

• Like 1

I was, you got a problem with that?

I don't know if Rutsey will get a mention from Alex or Geddy at the induction or not.

But I can guarantee this: if it doesn't happen, then there are several people just waiting to bash Neil for it.

• Like 3

Yeah, but were you angered?

I got mad at naps and asparagus back then.

• Like 2

I dont think its a matter of whether john rutsey deserves to be given status as part of rush and what the band became, i just think its a human and even sentimental thing to give a small mention to the part he played in the band's beginnings..

No other person on this planet, even terry brown etc, has the slightest right to say they were a member of rush, other than neil ged & alex.

Whatever anyone says, and whatever anyone thinks on his deservedness, john rutsey was an undoubted member of rush, it cant be denied.

If youre going to honour rush now in this 'glorious' way they so rightly deserve, you have to at least give the smallest of mentions to the percussionist on working man and here again etc.. Like totally rush classics.

I love these guys they're like members of my family but, I'll be slightly disappointed in them if they dont.

Edited by lifeson90

I don't know if Rutsey will get a mention from Alex or Geddy at the induction or not.

But I can guarantee this: if it doesn't happen, then there are several people just waiting to bash Neil for it.

As if those people need a reason.... :facepalm:

1. Not being inducted is not costing Rutsey any money

2. Rutsey is dead so he doesn't care.

3. When Rutsey was alive, he was totally over not being in Rush.

4. The RRHOF is a fluff-piece for the fans...the guys really don't care about it.

5. Has Rutsey been acknowledged on any tour or album since leaving Rush? I can't think of any.

6. Rush would have never made it with Rutsey as drummer.

7. No one will care or even think about this after a few days.

I think that about covers it. Bring on the next manufactured drama.

3. When Rutsey was alive, he was totally over not being in Rush.

How do you know that? Information about him was pretty scarce post-1974. Almost nothing is known about what happened with him other than Alex knew him for a few more years and he was into bodybuilding professionally at some point. No one has even seen a picture of him post-1974, much less heard an interview or anything about his feelings about Rush after the fact...

Should receive a mention and ill be surprised if the guys dont give him one

Get ready to be surprised.

Their attitude seems to be he was a guy who was in the band briefly a very long time ago and they hadn't talked to him in decades prior to his death. They don't seem to want to dwell on his contribution, but they do acknowledge it significantly BTLS. I kind of wish they'd give him more props than they do, but they don't seem to be interested. I too wouldn't be surprised if they don't mention him.

Agreed. However, I'd like to add that Rush obviously know how to play the PR game. Right now they're going to be appealing to the guys who stick with their greatest hits by going to the RnRHoF induction. If they attribute their massive success to a 4th guy by mentioning him, they losing some of the crowd they're going to be appealing to by introducing a 4th guy in a band known as a power trio. We won't stop attending Rush concerts/buying merch, but there are a bunch of people watching it that just might. IMO, BTLS was targeted at the fans who know more than just the greatest hits, so they got to show everything because that was the expectation of the target audience.