Rutsey Excluded from RRHoF Induction

Jag2112

It's not something I thought about before reading the story this morning.

I'm really not sure how I feel about it.

On the one hand, RUSH would not be the RUSH we know and love if JR hadn't left the band.

On the other hand JR was a founding member, played with them for several years and he was the drummer on the debut album which has a number of classics on it.

Strange he would be excluded..

Don't know this and can't be arsed to google it, but was Pete Best inducted with the Beetles?

Good qustion. No, Pete Best was not inducted with The Beatles.

Thanks... then I don't see an issue in Rutsy not being inducted as part of Rush. Really, Rush is Alex, Neil and Ged... I mean, what about the 'other' bassist in Rush (the dude who played bass for Red Rider)... I'm sure he's not POed about not being listed as an inductee to the RRHOF. ;)

Don't know this and can't be arsed to google it, but was Pete Best inducted with the Beetles?

Good qustion. No, Pete Best was not inducted with The Beatles.

Thanks... then I don't see an issue in Rutsy not being inducted as part of Rush. Really, Rush is Alex, Neil and Ged... I mean, what about the 'other' bassist in Rush (the dude who played bass for Red Rider)... I'm sure he's not POed about not being listed as an inductee to the RRHOF. ;)

He did play on that first album, unlike Best, so..

I'm not seeing it as an outrage though. I'm sure Geddy or Alex will give Rutsey his due props during the induction speech.

Should receive a mention and ill be surprised if the guys dont give him one

Get ready to be surprised.

Their attitude seems to be he was a guy who was in the band briefly a very long time ago and they hadn't talked to him in decades prior to his death. They don't seem to want to dwell on his contribution, but they do acknowledge it significantly BTLS. I kind of wish they'd give him more props than they do, but they don't seem to be interested. I too wouldn't be surprised if they don't mention him.

I think just a polite mention is all that's appropriate. John's contribution to the first album is just his basic drumming... not the writing of music or words. As mentioned above, Rush wouldn't have gone on to be Rush if John had stayed in the band. Neil MADE the band in those early years.

Should receive a mention and ill be surprised if the guys dont give him one

Get ready to be surprised.

Their attitude seems to be he was a guy who was in the band briefly a very long time ago and they hadn't talked to him in decades prior to his death. They don't seem to want to dwell on his contribution, but they do acknowledge it significantly BTLS. I kind of wish they'd give him more props than they do, but they don't seem to be interested. I too wouldn't be surprised if they don't mention him.

Exactly my thoughts

Actually, for such a huge award and occasion like this in the music industry, i'll be more than surprised if john rutsey not given a small mention by the band, i'll actually be slightly disappointed in them :-)

He wasn't in the band when they signed their record deal (even though he's credited as the percussionist). If he had been in the band AFTER signing then I would think he'd be included.

If they don't mention him, I guess we'll know what their answer would be to the question often asked here about whether or not the first Rush album is a "real" Rush album!

My thoughts on the matter are, other than being their first drummer, Rutsey had absolutely nothing to do with the band's overall success, or them becoming the band that would be worthy of induction into the RRHOF. There will probably be some sort of video montage of images from the band's career, and he very well could be in one of those images. But for him to be counted as a member of the band on equal standing with Geddy, Alex, and Neil? No way. He played drums on one album 39 years ago.

Geddy, Alex, and Neil have been Rush for the last 39 years, and made Rush into the band that is being inducted. That is why Rutsey is not included.

If Geddy or Alex want to mention him during their acceptance speech, great. But if they choose not to, it won't bother me at all.

• Like 1

I bet he's really mad about this.

He wouldn't show up anyway.

He can't show up. He passed away in 2008 due to complications with Diabetes.1

I know. It was a morbid, inappropriate joke. :)

As was mine. ;)