Rolling Stone - Dave Grohl might play with Rush during RRHOF induction

Powderfinger

I don't think it'd be that bad to have Grohl playing rhythm guitar and singing backup vocals on a tune. What I CAN imagine even more is Chuck D rapping to a few parts of Tom Sawyer...and I'm not even a hiphop fan. If anyone should rap to a Rush song I'd choose him AND I'd choose Tom Sawyer (especially for that event).

Scarily enough, I can totally imagine Chuck D rapping Tom Sawyer, and picture the guys in Rush grinning. This idea gets my vote :yes:

I absolutely believe we'll see SOMETHING with RUSH/PE and RUSH/Heart

I think it would be SWEET to not only see Chuck D. taking a verse and styling it his way.. but we gotta have a Flava Flav "YEAH BOYYYYYYYY!" somewhere.. maybe at the end of the Freewill break? Alex's Limelight solo? I can only hope it's NOT the RTB rap.. not only is that too obvious, it isn't appropriate for the HoF show IMO.

They've been reading the Yukon Blade Grinder it seems...amazing how that online rag influences RollingStone.
  • Like 1

Does anybody else here think Dave Grohl is kind of overrated?

Damn right. I think Nirvanna is too, especially Cobain.

Sometimes the truth hurts... and here's my version of the truth. Cobain is regarded as a "great song writer"... a "legend"... a "great poet"... why? Because he's dead.

If he didn't take his life, Nirvanna would likely still be together, but no more "legendary" that The Chilli Peppers or Pearl Jam. They'd probably be a good band, but not legends.

• Like 1

I had to read this three times to make sure, but it looks like the RRHOF chose who would induct Rush, not the band itself. If this is right, and not poorly worded

:wtf:?

"Dave and Taylor were one of the first people we thought about to induct Rush," says (Rock and Roll Hall of Fame President and CEO Joel)

Peresman. "They said 'yes' in about two seconds. I'm hopeful [they'll play together].

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-ceremony-rush-may-play-with-dave-grohl-public-enemy-to-reunite-with-terminator-x-20130326#ixzz2OhD2kjqR

By the way, Jon, Dave and Taylor are two people...

I don't think it'd be that bad to have Grohl playing rhythm guitar and singing backup vocals on a tune. What I CAN imagine even more is Chuck D rapping to a few parts of Tom Sawyer...and I'm not even a hiphop fan. If anyone should rap to a Rush song I'd choose him AND I'd choose Tom Sawyer (especially for that event).

Scarily enough, I can totally imagine Chuck D rapping Tom Sawyer, and picture the guys in Rush grinning. This idea gets my vote :yes:

I absolutely believe we'll see SOMETHING with RUSH/PE and RUSH/Heart

I think it would be SWEET to not only see Chuck D. taking a verse and styling it his way.. but we gotta have a Flava Flav "YEAH BOYYYYYYYY!" somewhere.. maybe at the end of the Freewill break? Alex's Limelight solo? I can only hope it's NOT the RTB rap.. not only is that too obvious, it isn't appropriate for the HoF show IMO.

A hip hopped TS would be a natural. RTB could work, sped up. Hey, if you invite Rush to the party, then expect Rush to be Rush. As far as Heart, maybe Ann Wilson could sing Anthem with Rush, or something really old like that. So many possibilities. I bet Rush wishes they never got in :LOL:

I don't know how many songs a band plays at that gig but I can't imagine Rush wasting their time playing Roll the Bones (yes, WASTING THEIR TIME). I'm picturing their biggest hits: Spirit of Radio (played by themselves) followed by Tom Sawyer (with Public Enemy...although I think Chuck D is the only essential) and ending with Closer to the Heart/Limelight mini-medley with a whole shitload of artists onstage (which would include Heart, Grohl, etc.). Fans would get Rush performing by themselves (for one tune anyway) and all the non-fans would get the most well-known tunes with other artists performing alongside them. It totally seems like something that would happen at a RRHoF induction.

Isn't it interesting how now that Rush is going into the RRHOF Rolling Stone is falling all over themselves to kiss their collective ass? Guess what RS? We didn't forget the years of ignorance and abuse. The only use I'd have for Rolling Stone magazine is if I ran out of toilet paper.

In all fairness, I'm thinking a lot of the old guard at RS are gone, replaced with younger , cooler, more well rounded types . Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan , but I'm sure a lot of current RS writers are aware of past ones ignorance.

You're too nice. I was thinking that Rush has been in the limelight a lot more in the last couple of years so it's only natural that the bandwagon, suck-up, elitist maggot writers at RS would be there to interview the band

Exactly, it's quite obvious that Rush has a lot of fans that spend a lot of money on Rush related items and Rolling Stone wants a part of the action, now that they do not sell many magazines these days.

I had to read this three times to make sure, but it looks like the RRHOF chose who would induct Rush, not the band itself. If this is right, and not poorly worded

:wtf:?

"Dave and Taylor were one of the first people we thought about to induct Rush," says (Rock and Roll Hall of Fame President and CEO Joel)

Peresman. "They said 'yes' in about two seconds. I'm hopeful [they'll play together].

Read more: http://www.rollingst...6#ixzz2OhD2kjqR

By the way, Jon, Dave and Taylor are two people...

Taylor Hawkins is a talented drummer.

Grohl just can't seem to get away from the grunge sound, which I personally hated when it was all the rage in the 90's. Plus his narcissistic desire to be ubiquitous is annoying.

Edited by Mara

I, for one, love Nirvana. I'm the same age as the band and I honestly connected with their music. With that said, is Kurt Cobain overrated? Probably. Is David Grohl over-exposed? Yes. But, they represent a passing of the baton, so to speak. Look who David Grohl associates with - EVERY BODY! The man collaborates with LEGENDS! Does that make him a legend? Not yet. Foo Fighters are very popular and they connect with a generation that would benefit some exposure to a band like Rush. Try to enjoy the induction, afterwards put on Permanent Waves or A Farewell to Kings and remind yourself Rush deserve respect from musicians like David Grohl and Taylor Hawkins. Edited by ReRushed
  • Like 2

Plus his narcissistic desire to be ubiquitous is annoying.

While others see it as an incredibly talented and creative artist with the desire to live life to the absolute fullest. Living the dream. Narcissistic? Sigh.. shakin my head. Ubiquitous? Guess he hasn't taken enough vacations for your liking? :LOL:

Damn right. I think Nirvanna is too, especially Cobain.

Sometimes the truth hurts... and here's my version of the truth. Cobain is regarded as a "great song writer"... a "legend"... a "great poet"... why? Because he's dead.

If he didn't take his life, Nirvanna would likely still be together, but no more "legendary" that The Chilli Peppers or Pearl Jam. They'd probably be a good band, but not legends.

Nirvana changed music during a time when "hair" bands were the thing. I remember sitting with my band and hearing them for the first time—wow! We were a group of shredders and thought this was something so new and fresh. Image was suddenly passe. I'm thankful they came along...their music was formative to a generation of young musicians.
  • Like 1

YES.

I really don't care about him or his music at all.

You despise metal bro...no wonder you don't care for his music.

When did I ever say I despise metal? I used to love metal when I was teenager, and I still enjoy some of those NWOBHM bands from time to time. I lost interest when speed metal came along, and because I started getting into other music I enjoyed a lot more, but I still like some of that older stuff. Most of the stuff I've heard in recent years is just too growly or heavy or whatever for me, but I don't hate it or anything.

And besides, were Nirvana metal? Are the Foo Fighters? I thought of them more as hard rock. All I can say is all the Foo Fighters stuff I've heard doesn't do anything for me. I don't hate it, but I don't love it either. It's ok I guess - kinda catchy, kinda repetitive, kinda blah. There's not really a lot to choose from in terms of popular hard rock these days, so they're kind of popular by default IMHO.

In terms of them inducting Rush, it's an ok choice. At least they'll be enthusiastic. I would have much rather preferred Jack Black or some old time musician I respect, but they could do worse.

Edited by rushgoober

YES.

I really don't care about him or his music at all.

You despise metal bro...no wonder you don't care for his music.

When did I ever say I despise metal? I used to love metal when I was teenager, and I still enjoy some of those NWOBHM bands from time to time. I lost interest when speed metal came along, and because I started getting into other music I enjoyed a lot more, but I still like some of that older stuff. Most of the stuff I've heard in recent years is just too growly or heavy or whatever for me, but I don't hate it or anything.

And besides, were Nirvana metal? Are the Foo Fighters? I thought of them more as hard rock. All I can say is all the Foo Fighters stuff I've heard doesn't do anything for me. I don't hate it, but I don't love it either. It's ok I guess - kinda catchy, kinda repetitive, kinda blah. There's not really a lot to choose from in terms of popular hard rock these days, so they're kind of popular by default IMHO.

In terms of them inducting Rush, it's an ok choice. At least they'll be enthusiastic. I would have much rather preferred Jack Black or some old time musician I respect, but they could do worse.

Well we know a little more about the tributes to Rush...did you hear? Here's the skinny from the Yukon Blade Grinder edition that came out shortly after the announcement of their selection:

According to Billboard magazine, “Something for Nothing” and a surprise cover song not written by the band, “Three is a Magic Number”, will be performed by hometown charity and pet project of the band, the vaunted Toronto Urban Resource Development League. Members will perform alongside legendary Atlanta gospel group The Church on Fire Choir. Reports are they will be performing with the Geddy, Alex and Neil during their acoustic set. This choice makes even the curmudgeonliest of Yukon Blade Grinder reporters think “Wow! Those guys still blow up boundaries, perceptions, and stereotypes don’t they? Not bad for sexagenarians.”

Not to be outdone by children and a choir from Atlanta, Canadian Minister of Electronic Music, Rik Emmett, will be lead the tribute band with immortals such as Sebastian Bach, Foo Fighter alumnus Taylor Hawkins, Toronto legends Bryan Adams and John Roberts, and finally bassist Les Claypool. Right now the band, known only as “Back Bacon”, is working on a medley rumored to contain classics such as: Working Man, Anthem, Spirit of Radio, Red Barchetta, Time Stand Still (with Canadian songbird Ann Murray), and Roll the Bones. The only certainty is Seven Cities of Gold, of which says Emmett, “Sebastian said that he would eat a dog penis on stage if we played that song, so we’re up for that.”

Assuming control as the surprise musical tribute, metal super group Metallica, will pay homage with Closer to the Heart and 2112 (Overture, Temple of Syrinx, and Finale). Kirk Hammett issued this statement on Metallica’s participation, “f**k yeah—we’re there dudes!!!” With such line-ups, failure is not an option and someone is likely to pass out.

Here's the entire article Goobs—I know you drink this stuff up

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/79592-rr-hall-of-fame-induction-itinerary-revealed%e2%80%94the-yukon-blade-grinder/

While others see it as an incredibly talented and creative artist with the desire to live life to the absolute fullest. Living the dream. Narcissistic? Sigh.. shakin my head. Ubiquitous? Guess he hasn't taken enough vacations for your liking? :LOL:

Yeah, Grohl, although perhaps overexposed, has always come across as quite humble with his admiration for artists/ bands he admires.

And think about the artists he's collaborated with.. John Paul Jones, Mcartney...he has that Sound City movie out with many legendary arts is being involved.. It puts Rush in a good light to have Grohl showing respect. And I know as hardcore, long time fans, we would rather have Rush gain respect through just the music, but that's just not how the business works.

Edited by Xanadoood
  • Like 1

Grohl is a guy who gets it. I am not even that big a fan of Foo Fighters (I like them and have seen them twice, but am not what I would call a huge fan), and I never cared for Nirvana, but Grohl has that "I am gonna do what I want to do musically, and piss on anyone who doesn't like it!" attitude, which is good! If he plays with Rush, that is a great thing. When you consider all of the hacks that are in the mainstream eye these days, then picking a talented guy like Grohl to play with Rush is a great compliment.
  • Like 2

Look, I'm not dismissing Grohl and the Foos. I know they aren't "talentless crap" and they do seem to have staying power.

I just don't like them, probably mostly because of the grunge influence still evident in much of the music I've heard. I was a HUGE fan of the 80's new wave/new romantic European music, with all of the heavy keyboards and synth, and it's still one of my favorite genres today. So when the 90's arrived hand-in-hand with the grunge explosion, you can imagine my dismay. I HATE grunge and in fact would probably pick Muzak if given a choice of listening to Muzak or grunge. Again - I'm not saying it sucks - I just happen to hate it.

Plus I really would just prefer to see Rush perform as . . . . Rush. It's taken so fu'cking long for them to get this induction; I want to see them getting all of the glory.

Look, I'm not dismissing Grohl and the Foos. I know they aren't "talentless crap" and they do seem to have staying power.

I just don't like them, probably mostly because of the grunge influence still evident in much of the music I've heard. I was a HUGE fan of the 80's new wave/new romantic European music, with all of the heavy keyboards and synth, and it's still one of my favorite genres today. So when the 90's arrived hand-in-hand with the grunge explosion, you can imagine my dismay. I HATE grunge and in fact would probably pick Muzak if given a choice of listening to Muzak or grunge. Again - I'm not saying it sucks - I just happen to hate it.

Plus I really would just prefer to see Rush perform as . . . . Rush. It's taken so fu'cking long for them to get this induction; I want to see them getting all of the glory.

I wouldn't really classify the Foos as Grunge... This is what I would define as Grunge...even though I think it's a silly label, we will use it here..

http://youtu.be/bwpxzVZ92-U

Foo Fighters are much cleaner and soccer mom friendly IMO

I wouldn't really classify the Foos as Grunge... This is what I would define as Grunge...even though I think it's a silly label, we will use it here..

http://youtu.be/bwpxzVZ92-U

Well no, but there's enough grunge influence in the sound (or maybe it's just Grohl's voice) to turn me off.

Most of you have probably already seen this, but this is a cool clip from 2008 where Geddy joins the Foos on stage.

Yeah, Grohl, although perhaps overexposed, has always come across as quite humble with his admiration for artists/ bands he admires.

And think about the artists he's collaborated with.. John Paul Jones, Mcartney...he has that Sound City movie out with many legendary arts is being involved.. It puts Rush in a good light to have Grohl showing respect. And I know as hardcore, long time fans, we would rather have Rush gain respect through just the music, but that's just not how the business works.

Yeah, I don't understand the Grohl hate. I'm not big Foos fan, they've done a few songs I like well enough, no songs I absolutely love or absolutely hate and many songs that I don't care about one way or the other, but Grohl is a guy who deserves respect for his devotion to music and to the pursuit of continuing to get better at it. There's that quote from Geddy along the lines of Rush being guys who were dedicated to getting better, and even though I don't jump up and down about his music, I definitely see Dave Grohl as an artist in the tradition of Rush in that sense.

With all the other musicians present, it's pretty much inevitable that others will join them onstage for 1 or 2 tunes. But as I said in an earlier post, I definitely can imagine them playing something by themselves. Besides, other respected, talented musicians performing alongside Rush seems pretty glorious to me. It's a massive honor to have that kind of situation on display.

Not grunge.

Plus I really would just prefer to see Rush perform as . . . . Rush. It's taken so f*cking long for them to get this induction; I want to see them getting all of the glory.

Yep, I'd have to agree with you on this!! Rush is our three boys....and that's it!! I understand the all inclusive jam at show end, but Dave performing with them?? :no: :no: :no: :no:

:rage: :scared: