David Lee Roth on the future of VH

Rod in Toronto

I just want to say that this is the only place on a public forum where I feel at home.

I know I'm not a saint with my posts and threads and I may cross the line with my beer infused sense of humor but I LOVE THIS FORUM!

I've made a lot of cyber friends on here.

Wish we could all have a TRF PARTY!!!! I think hanging out with 99% of you guys and girls would be fun!

Music keeps me young! So does my 39 year old wife! LOL! I turn 45 on Friday. No grey hair!!!

Music is the key to youth!

No matter what the cost I hope many of us on here will all attend the last Rush show.

The Rush Forum Members will will pack the Orbit Room after the last Rush show

FIRST ROUND ON ME!

SERIOUSLY!

RUSH RULES!

FUKK SAM HALEN! LOL!

• Like 1

As an old Van Halen fan, it's very disturbing to see Roth bash his bandmates like he does..since when do you bite the hand that feeds you? There is no VH without Alex, Anthony, and Eddie...no disrespect to Wolf, but he got the job solely due to his dad...

:codger: :huh: :eyeroll:

True, but the proof is on the album. Just because nepotism exists doesn't also necessarily mean that Wolfie was just some version of Stu Sutcliffe standing around posing with an instrument he couldn't play because his name was "Van Halen". The kid can play. I'd go so far as to say that the bass on Truth is AS exciting as anywhere in the VH catalogue prior. Listen to to the opening to or the ending of China Town. It's like listening to Vai and Sheehan riff together. That's a dynamic you never heard with root-note-Mike. I'm not bashing the guy either, but I have to defend Wolfgang's playing. In '07 it was just live stuff, so there wasn't much of a barometer for how good he actually was. I play bass and I could probably learn Mike's work in reasonably short order and be able to play the old tunes. The big test would how would he play on a new album and the results speak for themselves...

Yeah, no surprises here. This whole situation is on Wolfie. You'd think he would want to create his own legacy and branch out on his own.

from Wikipedia,"As of September 11, 2012, he joined the Mark Tremonti solo band as bassist for their first tour....On September 10, 2012, Alter Bridge and Creed guitarist Mark Tremonti announced that Wolfgang would be filling for Brian Marshall as bassist for the first tour of Mark's solo band. Mark Tremonti released his debut solo album All I Was on July 17. Wolfgangs participation with Tremonti continued into 2013."

I was wondering when Roth would say Anything on this matter. Seems the Gag order is off Roth now or Roth just does not give a shit . Ed better suck it up because they are Done without Roth. Sammy will never be back so it's Roth or Done.

And I still have trouble with a VH without Michael Anthony.

You should Binary Dude...he was a KEY component of the sound of VH as much as ed's "brown" sound was.

And I will say that, whatever the past, Wolfie did just fine on bass and singing back-up on this last tour. He was really bringing it.

:yes:

I thought he was a highlight for me. Eddie was Eddie, Alex was Alex, Dave wasn't quite Dave, and Wolfie was better than most anyone expected. I thought he was excellent, and even his backing vocals were damn good. No, not Anthony, but awesome in his own way.

Maybe Roth thinks he has nothing to lose. They are not intouch with each other so maybe Dave thinks it Might be over already so now he can speak his mind . I will not be shocked if we never get anymore Vh

Maybe Roth thinks he has nothing to lose. They are not intouch with each other so maybe Dave thinks it Might be over already so now he can speak his mind . I will not be shocked if we never get anymore Vh

He mentions speaking with Alex quite often in the interview, but yeah, Eddie seems to be in hibernation.

Roth: "I would certainly look forward to working with Ed [Van Halen] on some new material, but we have yet to do that. Almost all of the music that you hear on our most recent album was written and demoed before the first album. And I would certainly look forward to writing a whole list of songs with Ed, but we haven't found the time to do that. [laughs] You hear the tone. I'm not sure what's in Ed's mind at this point. I'm gonna guess that his plans are to write with his son, and I'm not sure where that actually leads. But truth be told, Edward and I haven't written a new song in 20 years."

Wow. That's kind of a damning statement. I knew old demos were used, but it sounds now like almost the entire ADKOT album consists of leftover ideas. That makes Ed seem like a washed up drunk, when it comes to creating anything brand new.

Mixed on that. 5150 and F-CK are awesome. OU812 and Balance are meh on the other hand and, in regards to his autobiography I read recently, Sammy will agree with me on OU812 in a heartbeat. Also, sad to read how EVH screwed with Sammy's original concept of Don't Tell Me What Love Can Do as a post Cobain anti suicide song.

• Like 1

Mixed on that. 5150 and F-CK are awesome. OU812 and Balance are meh on the other hand and, in regards to his autobiography I read recently, Sammy will agree with me on OU812 in a heartbeat. Also, sad to read how EVH screwed with Sammy's original concept of Don't Tell Me What Love Can Do as a post Cobain anti suicide song.

I missed Dave, but do like the Van Hagar too. It's a shame so many automatically dismiss it. I think there are enough decent songs on OU812 and Balance to make a good album, but both albums are inconsistent.

I missed Dave, but do like the Van Hagar too. It's a shame so many automatically dismiss it. I think there are enough decent songs on OU812 and Balance to make a good album, but both albums are inconsistent.

I actually enjoy the Van Hagar stuff myself. In fact, other than III, I like all of VH's stuff. DLR VH and Van Hagar are really two different bands IMO, but I like them both.

I actually enjoy the Van Hagar stuff myself. In fact, other than III, I like all of VH's stuff. DLR VH and Van Hagar are really two different bands IMO, but I like them both.

Yes, I do as well. Or at least did during those times. I actually didn't really get into VH until 1984. Then 5150, OU812, F.U.<.K., Balance.. which I remember really liking a lot. May have just been the time and place in my life. It went missing after all those years, but I still have the case. I probably own more Van Hagar than Van Halen. I did not get the new album. I somehow ended up with the cassette of Fair Warning. I recently did get a few of the older VH copied from the library so I'd say I have most of VH's stuff. No III. Never even heard a song off that one, that I can remember.

I played the hell out of 5150 when I was in high school. I loved that record then.

Now if I try to play it on my stereo in 2013 I can't even get through the first half. I hate those damn Simmons Pads. Crap! Keyboards too!

I can play the first six Van Halen albums everyday and I will never get sick of them!

• Like 1

Source Of Infection is a personal favorite.

"Hey, Eddie! Say what!?" :haz:

I played the hell out of 5150 when I was in high school. I loved that record then.

Now if I try to play it on my stereo in 2013 I can't even get through the first half. I hate those damn Simmons Pads. Crap! Keyboards too!

I can play the first six Van Halen albums everyday and I will never get sick of them!

Me too. There's not 1 song on any of those albums that I skip if it pops up on my iPod on shuffle.

I'm sure many are interested, so....

Nikki Sixx is going to discuss the DLR interview on his national show "Sixx Sense" tonight.

I know everyone has been sitting around wondering "Wonder what Nikki Sixx has to say about this whole situation"

Edited by Lost In Xanadu

I think if it weren't for Wolfie we never would have gotten ADKoT! He's rightfully the 3rd member of the band and after seeing him both in '07 and last year, the kid can bring it! Look at where the band is now. Wolf is with Tremont and you are hearing nothing about Van Halen, except Dave chomping at the bit to get the band moving again. I think it will take Wolfie to go back to Dad and get him on the road again. Ed has become something of a hermit and I think he would be satisfied to sit in his studio and make music for himself without ever going back on the road. He has a shitload of music stored on tapes in that studio, certainly enough to keep VH going for a long time if he so chooses.

The VH website tried to clean up any confusion that Dave's interview might have left regarding the band. In other words they put a friendly spin with further explanation to Dave's comments even saying that RS only took parts of the interview and wrote it to suit them, typical RS.

hahahaaaa - David Lee "I am Van Halen" Roth. I'll never forget when he said that. Next thing you knew, Eddie showed him the door.

They were supposed to play here and the tour was canceled abruptly. Was he acting up again? Can someone fill me in?