Let Me Beat A Dead Horse(Vapor Trails)

presto123

Now would be a perfect time to get this thing fixed. What are they waiting for? Put Chycki(or somebody else maybe) to work. Rush have admitted themselves that there was a screw up so why are they releasing 2112(5.1 mixes) instead of fixing this thing. If need be it should come out of their own pockets IMO because it was their mistake and we got a substandard product. Most people would buy it again anyway so I don't see the big deal. I love this band but they really frustrate me sometimes. Many of us have been waiting for a remaster for a decade and the band keeps dragging their feet. Hello!!!!!!! Is there anybody out there:)

I would buy a remaster...I´ve seen some fan-made ones which really brought those songs to live. Geddy´s bass is buried in the mix, and really shines in a few tracks once the wall of sound is cleaned up.

The problem isn't the mixing or the mastering of VT, it's the recording.

They made some fundamental errors in the recording process such as recording individual tracks too hot.

They could remix/remaster VT all they want and it's still going to have issues.

GIGO - Garbage In, Garbage Out.

• Like 3

They made some fundamental errors in the recording process such as recording individual tracks too hot.

What does it mean to record tracks to hot? Are they talking about the actual temperature or is it slang for something else?

Now would be a perfect time to get this thing fixed. What are they waiting for? Put Chycki(or somebody else maybe) to work. Rush have admitted themselves that there was a screw up so why are they releasing 2112(5.1 mixes) instead of fixing this thing. If need be it should come out of their own pockets IMO because it was their mistake and we got a substandard product. Most people would buy it again anyway so I don't see the big deal. I love this band but they really frustrate me sometimes. Many of us have been waiting for a remaster for a decade and the band keeps dragging their feet. Hello!!!!!!! Is there anybody out there:)

I agree, but it would cost money and virtually nobody but us would buy it. They would lose money. That simple. As far as them selling us a substandard product, I doubt any movie-goer received a refund from the producers of Hudson Hawk.

why are they releasing 2112(5.1 mixes) instead of fixing this thing

Because 2112 is a ton better?

What does it mean to record tracks to hot? Are they talking about the actual temperature or is it slang for something else?

What he means is that the instruments were recorded too loud and you get a distorted signal. I know because I do it all the time by accident haha. There's no real fix for something like that when that happens aside from re-recording it over again and why would Rush- a band that has always been about going forward- want to go back 10 years and re-do the whole album now? Ged can't sing the way he used to even in the early 2000's.

I'd much rather have them spend the $$ on getting that T4E tour film footage fixed, such an amazing tour all around!

Edited by Del_Duio
  • Like 1

the remixes on retrospective III were a definite improvement sonically. I'm still hoping for a double CD reissue, one CD is the original recording remastered, and a second CD of the entire album complete remixed.

Probably not gonna happen but one can dream.

"I'd much rather have them spend the $$ on getting that T4E tour film footage fixed, such an amazing tour all around!"

That would be awesome as well...maybe they could add a few songs from that footage as bonus tracks on future DVDs, at least the rare stuff they won´t play anymore like Limbo, The Color of Right, Test for Echo etc...

why are they releasing 2112(5.1 mixes) instead of fixing this thing

Because 2112 is a ton better?

Not in my world it isn't. I know there are lots of people on here that like VT better. 2112 has always been my most over-rated Rush record.

How does a perfectionist band like Rush allow this to happen? Boggles the mind doesn't it.

Edited by presto123

How does a perfectionist band like Rush allow this to happen? Boggles the mind doesn't it.

They weren't even sure they were capable of making music at that point. VT was all about survival, not perfection. It was a very dark time for them.

• Like 2

They weren't even sure they were capable of making music at that point. VT was all about survival, not perfection. It was a very dark time for them.

:goodone: :goodone:

After such a long hiatus, and given the nature of the hiatus, it's quite remarkable that they did get back to work as well as they did. Judging by past interviews, their getting back to touring really saved them. Not making a new album, but touring again and seeing that they still had the juice....

At the risk of sounding ignorant, I'm going to say that I'm not really bothered if anything happens to Vapor Trails - I like it just fine the way it is. :wub:

With all the negativity bandied about here about it, I sometimes think I'm missing out on something, but heck, maybe it's the other way around! :P I actually like the heavy sound, and the fan remixes I've listened to are lacking in comparison, to me.

'Course, this is just me, and we all know I'm a little weird! :D

• Like 4

The reworked songs already released DO sound better and the work by others without original recordings are also a vast improvement so I have to disagree that they can't make it better.

What he means is that the instruments were recorded too loud and you get a distorted signal. I know because I do it all the time by accident haha. There's no real fix for something like that when that happens aside from re-recording it over again and why would Rush- a band that has always been about going forward- want to go back 10 years and re-do the whole album now? Ged can't sing the way he used to even in the early 2000's.

I'd much rather have them spend the $$ on getting that T4E tour film footage fixed, such an amazing tour all around!

Thanks for the explanation!

I actually like Vapor Trails the way it is. BUT... if they did a remix (not to say that I would want one), could they use Geddy's vocal tracks from the original recording sessions?

I must be half deaf because I don't really hear anything so bad with VT. But, again, we drummers... ???

At the risk of sounding ignorant, I'm going to say that I'm not really bothered if anything happens to Vapor Trails - I like it just fine the way it is. :wub:

With all the negativity bandied about here about it, I sometimes think I'm missing out on something, but heck, maybe it's the other way around! :P I actually like the heavy sound, and the fan remixes I've listened to are lacking in comparison, to me.

This! Me too! The biggest surprise to me after starting to read this forum was finding out that there was a problem with Vapor Trails. It took a lot of listens to be able to hear through all the sound, sort of like those 3D images, but I love the way it sounds.

• Like 1

This! Me too! The biggest surprise to me after starting to read this forum was finding out that there was a problem with Vapor Trails. It took a lot of listens to be able to hear through all the sound, sort of like those 3D images, but I love the way it sounds.

:LOL:

It's a relief to know I'm not the only one who thought Vapor Trails was supposed to sound like that. The first time I listened to it I actually thought I had a defective disc and bought a second one a few days later! I've become accustomed to the way it sounds, and it's really not a problem for me.

Ha! It's funny you mention 3D images, because just yesterday my boyfriend found himself a copy of a Magic Eye book (remember those from the 90s?) and I've been trying to 'see' them. He'll peer over my shoulder as I've been struggling with a picture for a few minutes, and he'll casually go, "Oh, baseball players. Cool." Grr!

Anyway, glad there's more love for VT. I wish more songs (or, well, any at all) would be played live. 'Secret Touch', in particular, kicked some serious ass live. And though it will never happen, I keep my fingers crossed for a nice live rendition of 'How It Is'. Ahhhhh.........

After listening to VT for the first time in a long time last night this is even more of a bummer. The songs are even better than I remember them being. The record has a really heavy reputation but there are many clean sounding guitar parts as well that would really benefit from a cleaner, less hot, less distorted, less bass mixing and mastering. Eartshine, Secret Touch, Vapor Trail, Nocturne, Freeze, Ghost Rider, Ceiling Unlimited. There are some freaking great tunes on there. I might like this record as good as CA with a better mix?