Let Me Beat A Dead Horse(Vapor Trails)

presto123

At the risk of sounding ignorant, I'm going to say that I'm not really bothered if anything happens to Vapor Trails - I like it just fine the way it is. :wub:

With all the negativity bandied about here about it, I sometimes think I'm missing out on something, but heck, maybe it's the other way around! :P I actually like the heavy sound, and the fan remixes I've listened to are lacking in comparison, to me.

:cheers:

At the risk of sounding ignorant, I'm going to say that I'm not really bothered if anything happens to Vapor Trails - I like it just fine the way it is. :wub:

With all the negativity bandied about here about it, I sometimes think I'm missing out on something, but heck, maybe it's the other way around! :P I actually like the heavy sound, and the fan remixes I've listened to are lacking in comparison, to me.

'Course, this is just me, and we all know I'm a little weird! :D

This! Me too! The biggest surprise to me after starting to read this forum was finding out that there was a problem with Vapor Trails. It took a lot of listens to be able to hear through all the sound, sort of like those 3D images, but I love the way it sounds.

I'm willing to guess the sound is intentional, to reflect the raw emotions of the moment. I don't mind it, and love the songs.

This! Me too! The biggest surprise to me after starting to read this forum was finding out that there was a problem with Vapor Trails. It took a lot of listens to be able to hear through all the sound, sort of like those 3D images, but I love the way it sounds.

I'm willing to guess the sound is intentional, to reflect the raw emotions of the moment. I don't mind it, and love the songs.

I agree! I take it as it is, not as what it could (or what I think it should) be.

The problem isn't the mixing or the mastering of VT, it's the recording.

They made some fundamental errors in the recording process such as recording individual tracks too hot.

They could remix/remaster VT all they want and it's still going to have issues.

GIGO - Garbage In, Garbage Out.

The reworked songs already released DO sound better and the work by others without original recordings are also a vast improvement so I have to disagree that they can't make it better.

I only heard the reworked versions of the two songs on Retrospective 3 once or twice, but unfortunately for me they didn't improve anything. It only magnified the weaknesses of the original material.

I'm glad people enjoy VT, but for me it's the old you can't polish a turd phenomena here. If they ever did release a remaster, remix or whatever, I don't know if I'd buy it, or even try to find a copy to listen to online... maybe I would. Every time I tried to re-listen to this album or a fan re-mix (and there were many attempts) to get into it, it was always such an unpleasant experience that I'd be very reticent to try it again, even if they somehow were able to clean up the hot soupy clipped painful to listen to mix.

I honestly think they should leave it alone. It'd be like them going and trying to re-record or remix Face Up or Neurotica or something. Some material just doesn't work and it's time to move on. Thankfully, Rush did move on with the often great S&A and the mostly outstanding CA. It's good that they did what they needed to do in 2002 to get it back together so they could move on to bigger and better things, but the album should have been scrapped and never released. It's unfortunate that it was (though many or most here would disagree), but that can't be undone. Just leave it alone and let it lie as it is. They've got a hell of a lot of great albums to focus on without trying to fix something that just didn't work.

"I'd much rather have them spend the $$ on getting that T4E tour film footage fixed, such an amazing tour all around!"

That would be awesome as well...maybe they could add a few songs from that footage as bonus tracks on future DVDs, at least the rare stuff they won´t play anymore like Limbo, The Color of Right, Test for Echo etc...

What's the issue with the T4E footage? I haven't heard about that.

The problem isn't the mixing or the mastering of VT, it's the recording.

They made some fundamental errors in the recording process such as recording individual tracks too hot.

They could remix/remaster VT all they want and it's still going to have issues.

GIGO - Garbage In, Garbage Out.

The reworked songs already released DO sound better and the work by others without original recordings are also a vast improvement so I have to disagree that they can't make it better.

I only heard the reworked versions of the two songs on Retrospective 3 once or twice, but unfortunately for me they didn't improve anything. It only magnified the weaknesses of the original material.

I'm glad people enjoy VT, but for me it's the old you can't polish a turd phenomena here. If they ever did release a remaster, remix or whatever, I don't know if I'd buy it, or even try to find a copy to listen to online... maybe I would. Every time I tried to re-listen to this album or a fan re-mix (and there were many attempts) to get into it, it was always such an unpleasant experience that I'd be very reticent to try it again, even if they somehow were able to clean up the hot soupy clipped painful to listen to mix.

I honestly think they should leave it alone. It'd be like them going and trying to re-record or remix Face Up or Neurotica or something. Some material just doesn't work and it's time to move on. Thankfully, Rush did move on with the often great S&A and the mostly outstanding CA. It's good that they did what they needed to do in 2002 to get it back together so they could move on to bigger and better things, but the album should have been scrapped and never released. It's unfortunate that it was (though many or most here would disagree), but that can't be undone. Just leave it alone and let it lie as it is. They've got a hell of a lot of great albums to focus on without trying to fix something that just didn't work.

It's fine that you think it's a turd, but many of us don't. Those that don't just want better production on a great album. I'd much rather see that then the endless remastering of already well mastered albums.

• Like 1

They went through the trouble of fixing some already so I would say that they did not want it that way

I agree! I take it as it is, not as what it could (or what I think it should) be.

Just enjoy the album and stop whining like the little bitches you are!!!!!! VT RULES

You tell 'em Mr. Nice. VT is really the only album besides CA that I want to listen to right now. I tried listening to S & A about a week ago and just could not get into it. VT is a different story though. Edited by Tombstone Mountain

How can we just "enjoy it like it is" when all the tracks are mega clipping? This is not just an issue where we disagree with the mix. This is an issue where the CD is actually defective. I can't believe there are people that can't hear this. The songs will actually pop and crack or just generally sound bad because the audio equipment being used to play it can't handle a signal that hot. The louder you turn it the worse it is. One of the worst examples of clipping ever released by any artist any genre. Can't believe it's not a priority for Rush as it is sitting their like a black eye in their catalog.

It's not gonna happen at this point. The remixes on the Retro 3 cd are as close as we will get.

Thank you Alex Lifeson aka jnoble. Ladies and gentlemen, Alex Lifeson has spoken. It's not gonna happen.

If Rushgoober was a communist would he be called Russiangoober? :eh:

Not all communists are Russian :no:

Errrr Cubagoober? :o

Gary China Man Goober?

Dog-eating Goober?

Rushcubagoober, Jr.? Vapor Commietrails Rulz!

:P

It's not gonna happen at this point. The remixes on the Retro 3 cd are as close as we will get.

Thank you Alex Lifeson aka jnoble. Ladies and gentlemen, Alex Lifeson has spoken. It's not gonna happen.

be a smartass about it if you want, but it's been 11 years and both Geddy and Alex have pretty much admitted in recent interviews that the ship for remastering and releasing VT has sailed at this point.

They now serve dead horse at Burger King. Perhaps Burger King should give away the "Vapor Trails" cd with every Whopper Jr.

I loved that album when it first came out. When I put it on in 2013 it's totally unbearable.

A remaster wouldn't do shit to save that sonic implosion.

"The way out is the way in."

Says it all about "Vapor Trails."

be a smartass about it if you want, but it's been 11 years and both Geddy and Alex have pretty much admitted in recent interviews that the ship for remastering and releasing VT has sailed at this point.

"We've been talking about [the Vapor Trails remix] for years but every time we try to make a move on it something else comes up and because it's a back burner issue it gets left. We were very close a while back and Rich was going to start remixing it when we finished this record but other things were slotted in but we'll get to it one of these days." - Alex Lifeson, Metal Express Radio, May 21, 2012

:Alex: