MP vs PeW

Steevo

MP vs PeW  

57 members have voted

1. 1. MP vs PeW

• MP
    • PeW

For a long, long time, I would have said MP. But, over 30 years down the line (how the eff did that happen?!), I've changed my opinion for the reason that Pew bridges the gap between early rush and rush stage 2. It's a perfect blend of old and modern rush and the balance of where they came from and where they were going was just sublime. And as a transitional album it is so much better than signals and without it, MP would a) never have existed and B) been so good. I can't think of 3 albums by any other band I like as consistent and as good as hemispheres, Pew and MP. There isn't a wasted second on permanent waves. One of the great rock records and just perfect for the time when it was released.
  • Like 2

If I listen to PeW, I'd say that. Play MP and my opinion changes. Put a gun to my head and I'd probably say PeW. Vital Signs is not my favorite song. It's the only (relatively) weak track on the album. PeW has no down moments. Even Different Strings I love. "Who's come to slay the dragon, come to watch him fall," is one of the all time great musical laments.
  • Like 1

If I listen to PeW, I'd say that. Play MP and my opinion changes. Put a gun to my head and I'd probably say PeW. Vital Signs is not my favorite song. It's the only (relatively) weak track on the album. PeW has no down moments. Even Different Strings I love. "Who's come to slay the dragon, come to watch him fall," is one of the all time great musical laments.

I agree with your assessment on the Vital Signs track...it's a good song, but it's the weak link of that album.

I agree with your assessment on the Vital Signs track...it's a good song, but it's the weak link of that album.

I may have to fire these up on the ride home from work, and the ride back tomorrow. You can never be too sure.

A lot of us brit fans, well a few to be honest interpreted the lyrics from different strings as something of a rebuke to Geoff Barton, the musical journalist from Sounds magazine who championed the band until hemispheres. Up until then Barton was a BIG fan and was even invited to a pre-release playback of kings. When hemispheres came out he wasn't sure if he thought it was the worst or best thing they had ever done, but ultimately he decided they had jumped the shark at that point and lost interest as they were no longer into the swords and sorcery schtick. "Who's come to slay the dragon".........??
  • Like 1

Agree with other posters,Moving Pictures sort of fizzles out with Vital Signs where as Permanent Waves is a total package and ends with a bang.

Disagree. I love VS and Witch Hunt.

But I still voted for PeW on the strength of Natural Science, Freewill, and The Spirit of Radio.

Tough choice. MP is perfectly produced and sounds amazing. Some great songwriting as well.

In the end, though, I prefer the material on PeW as the perfect bridge between old & new RUSH.

Agree with other posters,Moving Pictures sort of fizzles out with Vital Signs where as Permanent Waves is a total package and ends with a bang.

But I still voted for PeW on the strength of Natural Science, Freewill, and The Spirit of Radio.

Didn't say I didn't like them or it, just personally think the way Permanent Waves ends makes it more complete.

Sort of connected to the topic,I would have swapped Vital Signs for Limelight or The Camera Eye in the track order just as I would have put Analog Kid before Subdivisions on Signals. Edited by tas7

I went back and listened to both of them last night (PeW) and this morning (MP). Vital Signs is the weakest song on both albums. I honestly can't tell you what would be the second weakest. Side one of MP is so amazing, it almost carries the day.

PeW by a hair.

Its very, very close but went with PeW. I thought that the poll would be close with MP slowly pulling in front. Somewhat surprised by the result.

You and me both, it just goes to show...this poll has been brewing for a while actually.

My vote goes to Permanent Waves. This was a close one for me, but it came down to the songs on the B side of PeW; I find them to be far better than the B side tracks on MP (except Vital Signs). Plus, Natural Science being one of my top songs doesn't hurt :D

MP. The songs are so strong. Side One is Rush's sound to me. That's the sound that I fell in love with and that album will still force me to crank up the radio, play air-drums, air-keys, air-bass and air-guitar and air-pedals all while singing.

PeW is great, but the songs on MP are stronger. Side Two is mesmerizing. The sounds on the city streets, the witch hunt, Geddy's tone on VS. One of my personal favourite Rush lyrics (Green and grey washes in a whispy white veil and then Geddy's delivery of mist in the streets of Westminster - it makes me all goose pimply).

Hands down, MP.

For me.

Edited by CygnusGal
  • Like 2