What is your favorite studio album and live album by Rush?

BradenLifeson

When I listen to Rush, which is on a daily basis, it's usually a Live album. I'll usually play one to death, then move on to another one. Right now, I'm in my 'A Show of Hands' kick, which has lasted quite a long time. I'll listen to a different one once in a while, but usually stick to the same one for a while. I remembered when I first discovered 'All The World's A Stage'. I was blown away by it's pure, raw, guitar driven rock.

As far as studio albums, I'm in a 'Hemispheres' kick. It still gives me goose bumps when I listen to it. I listened to Moving Pictures today, as well. I was never really into Witch Hunt and Vital Signs in the past, but have been digging them both lately. I was cleaning up my music room the other day, (the ol' lady threw a bunch of crap from the spare room in there due to an overnight guest), and I threw Rush, the album in the stereo. I wondered why I haven't listened to it in so long. It rocks from start to finish.

My favorite studio albums are, "Hemispheres" and, "Power Windows".

My favorite live albums are, "Different Stages" and, "A Show of Hands".

Album: Power Windows

Live: For now A Show of Hands, but probably the CA tour album once it comes out if it is mixed right

The two best live recordings (in my opinion) are unfortunately not official releases. Bigger and Better in Texas and Great Woods and Summer Skies, both soundboards from the T4E tour, are amazing. I believe some tracks of the latter were used on Different Stages. The thing I don't like about most of the official Rush live recordings is that they are either incomplete shows (GUP Live, for example) or pieced together shows (like ASOH). As a side note, the live tracks included on the new 2112 release are awesome. But again, they are from different shows... Edited by eddiescott98

Farewell to Kings, Different Stages.

I am with those that don't like live albums but Stages, to me, is the "classic" live album like "Live at Leeds" is considered for The Who. Just seems to flow correctly and sounds right in every technical aspect as compared to the other live works. Of course, we have technology to thank for that one. In the days of vinyl only, a live album encompassing all that material would have been a four or five album set, no one would have bought it let alone the company releasing it.

Favorite studio album is probably a toss-up between Signals and Power Windows, but I've never really been one to want to pick favorites with these fellas. There's something special to me from every album. As far as live albums are concerned, A Show of Hands takes the cake for me. Still have the VHS around here, somewhere... I was about 9 when I was given that video/CD for Christmas (1998). I could remember perfectly air-drumming every song, from start to finish, within a week of having it... Good times, indeed.

Think we all like the video versions of the live concerts rather than the CD versions because the video versions are of the same concert whereas as,as other Rush fans have stated the CD versions have cuts from various concerts.