RUSH to take "substantial" break after CA tour

Mystic Rythm

I listened to an interview with Geddy on Planet Rock and he said that he expects to take a sustantial break after the CA tour due to the fact they have been touring/recording for 5 to 6 years straight. I kinda figured after this tour they would take an extra long break especially with Neil having a young family and all. He did talk as though he has no doubts that they will write and record again. With this in mind I might consider more than one show on the 2nd leg of the USA.

My question is what is the consensus that the next time they play live, it will be because of new music or some type of throw back tour?

Thoughts?

Me? I'm open to anything!

Edited by Mystic Rythm

:beathorse: :beathorse: :beathorse: :beathorse: :beathorse: :beathorse: :beathorse:

Seems like a decent topic to me, seeing as it's based on a recent interview.

Yeah. Am I missing something? I read the first post and was interested in reading comments since I was curious about the same thing.

You'll have to clue me in as to why this is a :beathorse: thread.

name='dayglow76' timestamp='1356837118' post='2821195']

:beathorse: :beathorse: :beathorse: :beathorse: :beathorse: :beathorse: :beathorse:

[/b]

Not trying to mimic the "R40 or "Dream Setlist" posts. Based on Geddy's statements they will most likely take an extended break after 2013. I figure a couple of years minimum before they look at either recording/touring again so I'm interested in the possible scenerios for that time period.

You are indeed entitled to your opinion though dayglow76.

Have one on me :cheers:

I listened to an interview with Geddy on Planet Rock and he said that he expects to take a sustantial break after the CA tour due to the fact they have been touring/recording for 5 to 6 years straight. I kinda figured after this tour they would take an extra long break especially with Neil having a young family and all. He did talk as though he has no doubts that they will write and record again. With this in mind I might consider more than one show on the 2nd leg of the USA.

My question is what is the consensus that the next time they play live, it will be because of new music or some type of throw back tour?

Thoughts?

Me? I'm open to anything!

This seems to support my opinion that there will NOT be an R40 tour. Hopefully they can get a much deserved break, recharge their batteries and come back fierce with another memorable album like CA. I don't think there will be any Rush activity in 2014 (other than them possibly starting to write in the latter half of that year and the sale of live albums & dvds). I think their next tour will be in support of a new album (3-4 years from now). However, I CAN imagine them touring with a mere 3-5 new tunes released in the same way Caravan and BU2B were [then later released as an ep].

That's my fear. I guess we can only hope that they stay healthy, keep wanting to make music and touring. But my guess is that if they do another tour, it won't be as extended.

dunno what that emoticon even means with the dude hittin the donkey, or why the dude posted it 100 times in a row, and I'm not sure how it makes a statement about the quality of this thread

as for the quality of this thread, it's an interesting topic about a recent interview

I'll definitely try to attend as many shows as possible on the next leg

New thread for new interview. I fail to see the issue.

An extended break to spend time with family is a perfectly reasonable reason to take time away from touring. I'm actually a little surprised it has happened yet, especially for Neil and his young family. Recording can be done just about anywhere these days though, so composition & recording would seem to be the activity that would allow them to spend the most time with their families.

Rush has always wanted to bring new material on the road. Geddy said so for R30 which is why they recorded Feedback and then Caravan and BU2B for TMT. There will be *something* new for the next tour (presuming we are so blessed) even if it's only one or two songs. If we're waiting on a full length album, that may be a bit of a wait, imo. I haven't read anything that leads me to believe they are thinking about any original material beyond CA right now.

Presuming CA runs to the end 2013, a break in 2014? Not R40, but perhaps an R42? Sounds like a Douglas Adams reference or an insulation rating. New material is covers of favourite corporate jingles and cartoon songs of the 60s and 70s? Scooby-dooby-do, where are you? ;)

:cheers:

It is hard for people who rarely travel to understand why Rush wants a break. But, if you travel a lot, you're amazed that Rush has kept doing it this long. A lot of people here in the US, who thought they wanted to be long haul truck drivers, have quickly found out that being on the road all the time is no vacation, and the novelty of "the open road" wears out quickly.

For example: I am in a suburb of Chicago waiting for a load, right now, to go home, and it won't be ready until 2 pm. I've been here since 6pm yesterday. Sure, I got my smartphone, and books, and I am able to keep myself occupied, because I am somewhat of a loner, but don't you think I would have loved to eat supper last night with my wife? Not complaining, but just stating that after 14 years, it's gotten really old. And Rush has been doing it for damn near 40 years, and they did it in the old days, too...no ATMs, no credit cards, terrible roads, equipment that wasn't air ride, etc., sleazy hotels, bad food, etc.

We are social creatures and the lonesomeness gets old, even for Neil. Missed birthdays, missed children's plays or ball games, missed anniversaries, not to mention losing loved ones you never got to spend enough time with, can drive you bonkers. It's a real testament to Rush that they've kept it together this long, not died prematurely from drug abuse, and have had the mental toughness to tour this long. Yes, they deserve a break!

New material is covers of favourite corporate jingles and cartoon songs of the 60s and 70s? Scooby-dooby-do, where are you? ;)

:cheers:

While I'm not a huge fan of covers (Feedback included, though I do think Rush's Summertime Blues is the best version of that song), I probably wouldn't mind them covering some of the New Wave artists that shaped their 80s sound (The Police, Talk Talk, Talking Heads, etc.) Kind of a Feedback II thing.

Oh wait, that has to be Feedback III. Feedback II would be covers of the prog rock stuff that influenced their sound '75-'78. Rush covering Yes and King Crimson? I might be game!

Same day in Alex's interview he mentioned an R40 tour and plans "in pencil" for 2014 into 2015. Very possible they're both right.

Clockwork Angels tour ends late summer. They could take most of the next year off (Geddy's long break comment), write a couple of new songs during the Summer of 2014 (Geddy's new music comment), then go on the road in the fall of 2014 for a couple of months and again spring 2015 for a 40th anniversay tour (Alex's R40 & 2014-2015 plans comment) and satisfy all elements.

None of this is fact. Just pure speculation on my part.

At their ages - and given that they've all said they want to keep doing this while they can - there aren't going to be any 3-4 year breaks.

They played 35 shows in 2012, will probably play 60 in 2013. Wow, real tough. I know they are getting up there in age but there are other musicians who are much older and play more extensive tours than Rush does.

Are these "other musicians" playing almost 3 hour long sets of intricate and demanding music with such efficiency as Rush? Probably not, therefore that is "real[ly] tough" and they do deserve a break.

likeclockwork makes a great point. Although it's just speculation, it does make sense as a potential scenario with all factors satisfied. These guys deserve a break and I'm sure they'll be back in full force after a break.

Edited by GUP1771

They played 35 shows in 2012, will probably play 60 in 2013. Wow, real tough. I know they are getting up there in age but there are other musicians who are much older and play more extensive tours than Rush does.

phil lesh and bob dylan and willie nelson and so on might do more dates a year than rush, but which show do you think is more physically and mentally demanding? a rush concert or a george jones concert?

phil lesh and bob dylan and willie nelson and so on might do more dates a year than rush, but which show do you think is more physically and mentally demanding? a rush concert or a george jones concert?

How about YES, is that music not demanding, it's Rush with less Rock. Oh and how about there upcoming 2013 tour, 3 albums in there entirty.

The reason I think this is a beaten horse thread is because there have already been tons of"what if" and "what's next" and "R40" theoretical threads here lately.

The second leg of the CA tour hasn't even started yet and still people are sitting around theorizing about what's next. The future is uncertain for us all and I'm happy whatever the boys decided to do or not do because it will be killer as always.

The reason I think this is a beaten horse thread is because there have already been tons of"what if" and "what's next" and "R40" theoretical threads here lately.

The second leg of the CA tour hasn't even started yet and still people are sitting around theorizing about what's next. The future is uncertain for us all and I'm happy whatever the boys decided to do or not do because it will be killer as always.

The difference here though is that original poster put up the thread in direct response to the interview. That out of the way if Rush does have an extended layoff "Beaten Horse" threads will fill the lighted stage for quite awhile.

How about YES, is that music not demanding, it's Rush with less Rock. Oh and how about there upcoming 2013 tour, 3 albums in there entirty.

:LOL: Yes, less demanding? :no:

Yes music, if anything is more demanding, especially for the vocalist and keyboardist. And due to the albums they're playing, Steve Howe is going to get a workout as well. And I they don't have 60 dates scheduled for next year... .the Spring Tour only has 24 dates. :huh:

Plus, they are all older (except Jon Davidson) :codger:

Still, Yes rules :yes:

Hey, at least he didn't post several theoretical setlists and a bunch of "rock-on" smileys. That makes this topic a winner right off the bat.

I'm seeing that! But I only get 2 albums because I'm seeing them in Foxwoods... oh well.... but still, Close To The Edge live ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh :dweez: :dweez: :dweez: :haz: :haz: