The 'We love Geddy's singing!' thread!

Mika

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Oct 27 2012, 12:16 AM)
QUOTE (Babycat @ Oct 26 2012, 06:16 PM)
bncegrn.gif  I  bncegrn.gif  love  bncegrn.gif  Geddy's  bncegrn.gif  singing  bncegrn.gif  !  bncegrn.gif

laugh.gif

Geddy's singing sometimes makes me feel like that, too! wink.gif trink39.gif 2.gif

biggrin.gif

Another favourite example of Geddy's singing: 'Good News First'. This song didn't really grab me until it popped up on my ipod a week ago, and I realized how good Geddy sounds here. Such a different style from usual, and good harmonizing, especially the "Time, if nothing else, will do its worst / So do me that favour, and give me the good news first" part. A few nights ago I watched the Snakes and Arrows documentary and it showed a bit of Geddy recording vocals for that song, and my appreciation for it (and for him!) increased.

I would love to be in the studio with Geddy recording vocals, just watching him. :wub:

Oh, and something else I came across - a youtube video of Rush performing 'Tom Sawyer' in RockBand. I was a bit surprised at how easily the singing seemed to come for Geddy - though, of course, he's been performing that song live for about 900 times now! He's just so consistent with his singing; though of course his vocal style has gradually changed over the years, he always seems to find singing easy and does such a good job. One thing I find with good singers (as opposed to passable singers) is that they tend to sound the same, whether on record, or live, or in person, and Geddy seems to have this attribute as well. He doesn't need some machine to make his singing 'perfect'. He's fantastic all on his own self.

Ok, that's probably enough love for Geddy's vocal chords for today! :)

I wonder if Geddy realizes how good a singer he is? I always get the impression that singing is just something that he kind of had to do, as no one else was doing it, and the bass was, of course, first. For a singer who's main gig isn't singing (if you know what I mean!), he's quite exceptional.

And 'Ghost Rider' popped up today. I love the line, "From the lowest low, to the highest high", and how it seems inverted, as Geddy sings the "low" part high, and the "high" part low. I've always liked that bit of backwardness about it.

• Like 1

Geddy's singing is kick ass, yet he has so many haters! He hits all the notes perfectly (studio and mostly live), Geddy is the man!! Had to add that any live version (and studio) of Resist is amazing. Edited by GeddyLeeFender

I always manage find something great about Geddy's singing throughout each Rush 'period'.

My favourite Geddy is Presto - Counterparts - Test for Echo.

I loved his vocals on the Clockwork Angels tour at Anaheim.

• Like 1

Geddy was always a CRAZY good singer.

In the 70's he would do amazing stuff. One of my all time fav bits is in 2112 in the presentation. When the hero is talking to the priests very quietly, modestly. Soft spoken. Then here comes the Priests....YES WE KNOW, IT'S NOTHING NEW. I just remember how thrilling it was that he could Change dynamics so easily.

The 80's...I was glad he cut back on the wailing.....there's no way he could have continued like that. His vocals were still awesome though.

These day's I think he's lost a little steam. But from what I've heard from the tour. He's in fine voice.

Mick

• Like 2

Yes, I love the back-and-forth in 'Presentation'! From soft, melodic singing to strident wailing! Love it!

And he is in such good singing form this tour... I was so, so pleased to hear how good he's sounding, after his poor throat infection during the last tour. That must have been frustrating. :(

And going to throw another song into the mix: 'Tears'. This popped up last night, and it's unusual to hear such a gentle voice from Geddy. It's not just the tone that I love, however, but his vocal approach to this song - his singing kind of swoops along, and is very soothing.

• Like 1

I'm going to go out on a limb here and invite ridicule, but I love Geddy's performance of "Presto" from the Time Machine Tour. This vocal is rough, but for me the roughness adds something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRBq1Qlk0p0

The guy moves me :yes: :D

• Like 1

I've upgraded to a huge ipod, which means I'm now listening to a whole lot of other music than just Rush now! (Crazy, I know) So now I often get strings of songs that are not Rush (which is kind of weird! Have to get used to it!), which means Rush songs are that much more precious to me. And one thing that is really standing out to me is Geddy's singing.

Vocals is a very big factor to me in the music I listen to - I really appreciate good singing. And even with all the good singing I have popping up on my ipod, it's Geddy's voice that is really standing out to me. It's such a mellow tone (which might sound weird when taken in context with something like '2112' or 'Anthem'), and it's always good on the technical side, as well. I'm likely biased because I have such a high esteem of Rush and all that, but Geddy's singing just really takes me to a happy place.

Weirdly enough, the song that triggered the urge to bring up this thread again so I could lavish praise on Geddy's vocal chords, is 'For What It's Worth' from Feedback. This is the one album I was missing from my teeny ipod before, so I'm finally getting a chance to listen to it. It's really neat hearing Geddy sing in ways he doesn't do usually, such as the deepness of this song. But his tone is really good, and his voice comes across really well, I think. Also, for some reason, the bass on this album sounds particularly good, and I'm not sure why - maybe I like the riff-drivenness of it.

Anyway, here's another cheer from me as being thankful that my ears have been privy to Geddy's singing! :)

• Like 1

My favorite Geddy vocal moments:

-Natural Science on Different Stages: the whole “science, like NATURE/the most endangered SPECIES” section…my favorite part of ANY Rush song

-The Garden…too many moments to name…definitely my second-favorite Rush song behind N.S.

-all of 2112 on Different Stages…so much more emotional than studio

-the one-two punch of Entre Nous/Mission on S&A Live

-Jacob’s Ladder: “distannt…overrr-TURRE”

-Carnies: the urgency in the delivery of “a WHEEL of fate, a ga-ame of chance” (the last time, near the end of the song)

-The Wreckers: “striking down like a bolt from the blue”

-TSoR (studio version): “really just a question of your HONESTY”

-Middletown Dreams: the huge “ohhhhhhhhhhh” followed by the first chorus

• Like 1

Geddy's voice is one of the main things that caught my attention on the first listen back in 1976. I thought it was cool, but so different. It suited the music, which was wicked, of course!

There are plenty of people who aren't Rush fans mainly because they don't like Geddy's voice. Like it or not, the dude can do things with his voice that few others can. Not just "hitting the notes" either. And, then add in, plays wicked bass, keyboards and Taurus pedals... ALL AT THE SAME GODDAM TIME.

Name ONE musician in rock that does that and I will roll around in my shit naked.

Ooh, nice bump for this thread! I've always got time to give Geddy's voice some love!

PaleFacsimile mentioned "Mission" from Snakes And Arrows Live. That one is definitely one of my top Geddy vocal performances. I didn't care for the song very much on the Hold Your Fire album, but I'm positively in love with Snakes And Arrows Live version of it. I already posted about my love for that performance earlier in this thread, but here's the video to go with it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFbrFoD8b78

The howl at the end always gives me happy shivers :yes:

Last night I was listening to Clockwork Angels (again! :LOL:) and thinking about some of the vocal bits on that record that I especially love. I love the vocals throughout the album, but I always notice in particular the first verse of the title track, the way his voice rises through each line up to the peak of "Clockwork angels bathed in liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight!" Given my love for the Time Machine performance of "Presto," I suppose maybe I've got a thing for Geddy singing the word "light!" :LOL:

Also, on Clockwork Angels, the song Halo Effect gets little respect, but I love it, and mostly because of Geddy's singing. I love the pensive/reflective mood of the vocals, and the way he sings the line "Little by little I bu-u-u-urned" is just...ooooooooooooooh :wub:

15-year-old me would never believe I could love that voice this much! :LOL:

• Like 2

Heyy,everyone,I am very New here yet I loved and look at this Forum!!!

Ged's Vocals just gave me a wave of happieist of days. I just love his vocals so much they are presuse

Ged's Vocals just gave me a wave of happieist of days. I just love his vocals so much they are presuse

Hey, RushFlyer2112 chick... WELCOME to the Rush Forum... ! If you're a Rush fan, this will be your new home... or, at least a "second" home.

Flyer. Welcome. I am also new as you can see by my post count. This forum has the house rocking. I cannot read a thread without pulling one out of the "vault" as Geddy would say.

In fact "Between the Wheels" on S&A is great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Geddy's voice is one of the main things that caught my attention on the first listen back in 1976. I thought it was cool, but so different. It suited the music, which was wicked, of course!

There are plenty of people who aren't Rush fans mainly because they don't like Geddy's voice. Like it or not, the dude can do things with his voice that few others can. Not just "hitting the notes" either. And, then add in, plays wicked bass, keyboards and Taurus pedals... ALL AT THE SAME GODDAM TIME.

Name ONE musician in rock that does that and I will roll around in my shit naked.

This literally made me snort out loud in amusement, causing my cat to be startled and give me a funny look! :LOL:

And yes, Geddy's seemingly robot-like superabilities (and this is high praise, as robots scare me!) at being able to command so many musical outputs AT THE SAME TIME is jaw-droppingly awesome. I imagine it must take a lot of practice to play something like 'The Anarchist' live, or much of the 80s stuff that requires gymnastic-like fingering. Geddy is a bass (and singing!) god.

Ooh, nice bump for this thread! I've always got time to give Geddy's voice some love!

PaleFacsimile mentioned "Mission" from Snakes And Arrows Live. That one is definitely one of my top Geddy vocal performances. I didn't care for the song very much on the Hold Your Fire album, but I'm positively in love with Snakes And Arrows Live version of it. I already posted about my love for that performance earlier in this thread, but here's the video to go with it:

Last night I was listening to Clockwork Angels (again! :LOL:) and thinking about some of the vocal bits on that record that I especially love. I love the vocals throughout the album, but I always notice in particular the first verse of the title track, the way his voice rises through each line up to the peak of "Clockwork angels bathed in liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight!" Given my love for the Time Machine performance of "Presto," I suppose maybe I've got a thing for Geddy singing the word "light!" :LOL:

Also, on Clockwork Angels, the song Halo Effect gets little respect, but I love it, and mostly because of Geddy's singing. I love the pensive/reflective mood of the vocals, and the way he sings the line "Little by little I bu-u-u-urned" is just...ooooooooooooooh :wub:

This is like me and Geddy's singing of the word 'and'! I don't know what it is, but every time he sings 'and' it gets my attention - I like how he pronounces it. And it's a pretty common word, so I get a lot of it! :)

Oh, and also the word 'hand'. I guess that's kind of natural, since it's 'and' with a little extra something at the start. 'Earthshine' and 'The Big Money' have some pretty good 'hand' moments.

Oh, it's interesting, sometimes, the things that get us off, as Geddy would say!

• Like 1

This is like me and Geddy's singing of the word 'and'! I don't know what it is, but every time he sings 'and' it gets my attention - I like how he pronounces it. And it's a pretty common word, so I get a lot of it! :)

Oh, and also the word 'hand'. I guess that's kind of natural, since it's 'and' with a little extra something at the start. 'Earthshine' and 'The Big Money' have some pretty good 'hand' moments.

Oh, it's interesting, sometimes, the things that get us off, as Geddy would say!

I really want to keep (at least some of) my dignity, so I won't say anything of the things I'm thinking about that last line there. :LOL: ;)

I was listening to "In The Valley" from "The Fountain Of Lamneth" today. I find this bit incomparably evocative and beautiful:

The mountain holds the sunrise in the prison of the night

Til bursting forth from rocky chains the valley

Floods

with light...

I wish I could paint it. And I just noticed that it includes the word "light!" :LOL:

Edited by GeddysMullet
  • Like 1