The 'We love Geddy's singing!' thread!

Mika

One thing I was looking forward to at my 12-hour day at work, was coming home to share this:

I was walking to work today, and as usual lately, had my ipod randomly play only Rush songs, including a few bootleg concerts. Well, a version of 'Resist' from 1997 (Great Woods and Summer Skies, for those interested) came on, and I enjoyed it as I was walking along. Then I got drawn into Geddy's singing, and at the end of the song it just started moving me so much that I started crying (just a little bit!) as I walked. I'm probably being extra-sensitive about the awesomeness of Geddy's voice right now, but nonetheless, it was just so... wonderful. It's hard to explain, but I was so emotionally moved by Geddy's singing. It took a few moments to gather myself together, while I self-consciously wiped away my tears (thankfully, it had just started raining very lightly, so I could be excused as wiping away rain drops!).

My god, the things this man's voice does to me.

I think, quite honestly, if someone told me that I had to choose to either hear Geddy's singing or Geddy's bass from now on, but not both, I would choose hearing his voice. Yes, he's a bass god, but his voice is his most unique instrument!

Anyway, wanted to share. It's not often I get blind-sided by emotion like this!

Geddy cosmic waves must be at their height or something because I had a dream about him Saturday night that you gals are going to absolutely love!! :cheerleader:

Unfortunately (booooooo!), the following is the only part I can remember, but it will make you envious just the same!

Well, it was just the two of us - Geddy and me :wub: - and he grabbed me and hugged me so tight. He let go and continued to hold me by the shoulders, looked straight in my eyes, and with the biggest smile you have ever seen on Geddy Lee said to me "I love you so much!" :heart: :heart: :heart:

:blush:

Aww, sweetie, I'm glad you had such a happy dream! And yes, slightly envious, too ;) :LOL: I've gotten hugged by Alex in a dream, but not by Geddy!

• Like 1

One thing I was looking forward to at my 12-hour day at work, was coming home to share this:

I was walking to work today, and as usual lately, had my ipod randomly play only Rush songs, including a few bootleg concerts. Well, a version of 'Resist' from 1997 (Great Woods and Summer Skies, for those interested) came on, and I enjoyed it as I was walking along. Then I got drawn into Geddy's singing, and at the end of the song it just started moving me so much that I started crying (just a little bit!) as I walked. I'm probably being extra-sensitive about the awesomeness of Geddy's voice right now, but nonetheless, it was just so... wonderful. It's hard to explain, but I was so emotionally moved by Geddy's singing. It took a few moments to gather myself together, while I self-consciously wiped away my tears (thankfully, it had just started raining very lightly, so I could be excused as wiping away rain drops!).

My god, the things this man's voice does to me.

I think, quite honestly, if someone told me that I had to choose to either hear Geddy's singing or Geddy's bass from now on, but not both, I would choose hearing his voice. Yes, he's a bass god, but his voice is his most unique instrument!

Anyway, wanted to share. It's not often I get blind-sided by emotion like this!

Geddy cosmic waves must be at their height or something because I had a dream about him Saturday night that you gals are going to absolutely love!! :cheerleader:

Unfortunately (booooooo!), the following is the only part I can remember, but it will make you envious just the same!

Well, it was just the two of us - Geddy and me :wub: - and he grabbed me and hugged me so tight. He let go and continued to hold me by the shoulders, looked straight in my eyes, and with the biggest smile you have ever seen on Geddy Lee said to me "I love you so much!" :heart: :heart: :heart:

:blush:

Aww, sweetie, I'm glad you had such a happy dream! And yes, slightly envious, too ;) :LOL: I've gotten hugged by Alex in a dream, but not by Geddy!

I wish I could remember more. I spent a long time last night trying to, but every time I would get a glimpse of part of it, I would lose it. I used to be really good at remembering dreams, but the older I am getting, the less I remember. But, I remembered the most important part. I wish you could've seen his smile when he said it (and the smile on my face as I type this!)!! :)

• Like 1

I wish I could remember more. I spent a long time last night trying to, but every time I would get a glimpse of part of it, I would lose it. I used to be really good at remembering dreams, but the older I am getting, the less I remember. But, I remembered the most important part. I wish you could've seen his smile when he said it (and the smile on my face as I type this!)!! :)

I'm smiling thinking about it :hug2:

And before the thread strays too much, here is Resist from Rush in Rio for our Geddy's singing appreciation purposes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb1UaRu0JVA

Edited by GeddysMullet
  • Like 3

Wearing his sleeveless black top that I love so much.

Haha - I'm starting to sound like Frippy. :LOL:

Don't mind me I'm uh..staring at Alex there.

:drool: :heart: :wub:

• Like 1

Wearing his sleeveless black top that I love so much.

Haha - I'm starting to sound like Frippy. :LOL:

Don't mind me I'm uh..staring at Alex there.

:drool: :heart: :wub:

http://cdn.styleforum.net/6/67/900x900px-LL-67a82dab_simpsons-leaving-room.gif

Edited by calirush

Ooookay.... It happened again....

I've been going through live Rush concerts that I have on my hard drive, and decided to randomly play a song - the song files are all unmarked ('track 02' and so on), and the song just happened to be 'Resist'.

Well.

I'm wiping tears off my cheeks again.

What is with this song? :blush:

The version I was listening to is from Echoes on the Stages, an excellent-sounding recording of the band's rehearsal one day before the start of their 1996 tour.

Here's a youtube link; if anyone else starts swabbing away tears, too, let me know, so I don't feel so emotionally alone!

*My cheeks have dried in the 20 minutes I've just spent trying to figure out how to post actual videos on here rather than links... oh well, I'll figure it out later!

http://youtu.be/GBoqvVE4CAA

Yay! Figured it out! Only took a half hour or so.... :/

Edited by Mika
  • Like 1

Awww,"Resist/Tears" are so very wonderful and very sweet that Geddy had ever done!!!!! That why I love his voice so much & on "The Pass",he sound very great!!!!!!!

I don't get why people keep talking about any bad vocal performance on the TMT live album...?

It's great and also the best live album from the band ever in terms of energy and setlist in my opinion.

The way he sings the high part on Freewill is simply better than the original!! no more helium, it's full voice and power !!!

I have a "fun" Geddy's vocals story since we're all sharing... :blush:

I was in Chicago for the Time Machine tour - I specifically decided that on this tour I wasn't going to look at the set list beforehand so I could be surprised while I was there (y'know, except knowing that all of MP was being played). So there I was, standing there, being a normal Rush fan (singing lyrics, air guitarring, etc). So, Time Stand Still had just ended and I was eagerly awaiting the next tune, talking to my friend about random fun facts about Hold Your Fire, and out of the silence comes the first chords to Presto (what I like to call "my anthem" - for years I was resigned to the fact that I'd never hear it live). Immediately, my breath was caught in my throat and all I could do was stand and stare. And in comes Geddy's vocals "If I could wave my magic wand..." And I immediately raised my hands in the air (as if to fly ;) ) and sang with him, tears coming down my face (this is pathetic, I'm tearing up now).

I sang my lungs out with Geddy Lee to "Presto", and it's something I'm never going to forget. Because he - Alex and Neil too! - brought their A game to that concert. That was the first time I'd ever been moved to tears by Geddy's vocals and it was beyond amazing.

When I was a lot younger, I used to call Geddy "that girly singer my dad listens to". Little did I know that a year or so later I'd steal my dad's Walkman and obsessively listen to Tom Sawyer for hours on end. Yeah, I was about six then. :LOL:

Geddy's vocals are always going to have a special place with me - the way he brings life to Neil's lyrics is something I couldn't fathom doing. And here he is, almost forty years later, and he's still got it! :ebert:

• Like 3

I don't get why people keep talking about any bad vocal performance on the TMT live album...?

It's great and also the best live album from the band ever in terms of energy and setlist in my opinion.

The way he sings the high part on Freewill is simply better than the original!! no more helium, it's full voice and power !!!

I finally put the Time Machine concert cd on my ipod - don't know why it wasn't on before, I must have missed it - and as always, I listen to all my Rush music on random. (Unfortunately, this means I get an awful lot of 'Tom Sawyer's, due to having lots of live albums on there, but oh well!) I was walking home from work one night and a live version of 'Limelight' came on. When Geddy started singing, I immediately knew it was from the Time Machine album....

I'm one of the biggest high-fivers of Geddy's singing ever, but the TM album... I'm not a big fan of how his singing sounds on it, much as it pains me to say it. I understand he was suffering from a throat infection, and it kind of sounds like it. I like watching the concert dvd, but when the focus is just the music... I actually seem to be skipping these versions of songs.

Buuuut,,, on a good note, I was so pleased that Geddy sounded so amazing on the CA tour. I felt that the less-awesome vocals had been left behind, as I guess his throat infection would have been all cleared up!

On an ending note: I've been really into 'Double Agent' lately. I was singing it the other night - leaving out the spoken parts so it was just the "Where would you rather be" parts alternating with the "Wilderness of mirrors" parts - and I was intrigued by the difference in cadence between the two different parts. I love Geddy's voice in this song, both the sung parts and spoken parts. And the harmony on the "Wilderness" parts... always sounds so amazing to me! :)

I was doing a random google search on Geddy's singing (I'd like to try to learn more about him as a vocalist, like how he got into singing and how he practiced, and stuff), and this thread popped up near the top of the search results! :) So I read through the entire thing again, and am filled with warm, mushy feelings towards Geddy's singing voice.

I've been into the vocal sound of Counterparts lately. Most of it is in a more 'normal' scale - with some parts even a bit too low for me ('Cut to the Chase'), and Geddy's tone is amazing. He is just nailing everything he sings. This is really a perfect blend of tone, vibrato, and dashes of high parts. And it doesn't hurt that the album production itself is so good that everything sounds so clear and awesome.

What else is on the vocal radar? 'The Twilight Zone', for one. Love the jauntiness of the verses, switched up with the moody, sombre choruses. This popped up on my ipod while walking home late at night a little while ago, and though I should be used to it by now, the whispered part in the second chorus (which is very up-front with headphones on!) managed to creep me out a bit. And 'Chemistry' - love the slowness of the chorus ("One, two, three...") and how, again, perfect Geddy's singing is in this one. And 'Wish Them Well.' I like the high "Wish them well"s that echo the main Geddy part, and how powerful he sounds during lines like, "People who judge without a measure of mercy".

Ah.

I love Geddy's singing. :wub:

Oh! And I'm so glad that Geddy sounded so consistently good during this past tour. There were some songs that I felt were even better-sung than the studio versions, such as 'Halo Effect', or songs which were sung a little differently that brought new light to them, such as singing the higher harmony part during the last choruses in 'The Garden'. :)

Edited by Mika
  • Like 3

I always loved geddy' s voice. It was one of the main reasons I first got into rush even though some people might find it "screechy and annoying". I found it powerful and interesting. I like all the different geddy voices over the years :D :geddy:
  • Like 4

I always loved geddy' s voice. It was one of the main reasons I first got into rush even though some people might find it "screechy and annoying". I found it powerful and interesting. I like all the different geddy voices over the years :D :geddy:

There are people that don't like Led Zeppelin due to Robert Plant's voice, or Yes because of Jon Anderson. Haters are gonna hate. I also love how Geddys voice has matured and changed over the years. He's completely changed his style of singing, and though its different from what it used to be, we're lucky he can still get out there and belt out 3 hour shows every other night on tour.

• Like 3

My favorite DVD release. :wub:

The Snakes and Arrows? Me too. Great songs, and Geddy sounds amazing in it. The first couple of times I watched it, I couldn't get over how nice his voice sounded. And, of course, I got more exposure to songs like 'Digital Man', 'Entre Nous', and 'Mission'. I think this version of 'Mission' is my very favourite, and I prefer this version of 'Digital Man' to the original, too. :) I listen to the orginal, and I'm like, "Hey, where's the climactic vocal ending? The 'He plays fast FORWARRRRRRRD, yeah'?"

• Like 3