The 'We love Geddy's singing!' thread!

Mika

Ooh, nice bump for this thread! I've always got time to give Geddy's voice some love!

PaleFacsimile mentioned "Mission" from Snakes And Arrows Live. That one is definitely one of my top Geddy vocal performances. I didn't care for the song very much on the Hold Your Fire album, but I'm positively in love with Snakes And Arrows Live version of it. I already posted about my love for that performance earlier in this thread, but here's the video to go with it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFbrFoD8b78

The howl at the end always gives me happy shivers :yes:

Last night I was listening to Clockwork Angels (again! :LOL:) and thinking about some of the vocal bits on that record that I especially love. I love the vocals throughout the album, but I always notice in particular the first verse of the title track, the way his voice rises through each line up to the peak of "Clockwork angels bathed in liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight!" Given my love for the Time Machine performance of "Presto," I suppose maybe I've got a thing for Geddy singing the word "light!" :LOL:

Also, on Clockwork Angels, the song Halo Effect gets little respect, but I love it, and mostly because of Geddy's singing. I love the pensive/reflective mood of the vocals, and the way he sings the line "Little by little I bu-u-u-urned" is just...ooooooooooooooh :wub:

15-year-old me would never believe I could love that voice this much! :LOL:

This is like me and Geddy's singing of the word 'and'! I don't know what it is, but every time he sings 'and' it gets my attention - I like how he pronounces it. And it's a pretty common word, so I get a lot of it! :)

Oh, and also the word 'hand'. I guess that's kind of natural, since it's 'and' with a little extra something at the start. 'Earthshine' and 'The Big Money' have some pretty good 'hand' moments.

Oh, it's interesting, sometimes, the things that get us off, as Geddy would say!

I really want to keep (at least some of) my dignity, so I won't say anything of the things I'm thinking about that last line there. :LOL: ;)

I was listening to "In The Valley" from "The Fountain Of Lamneth" today. I find this bit incomparably evocative and beautiful:

The mountain holds the sunrise in the prison of the night

Til bursting forth from rocky chains the valley

Floods

with light...

I wish I could paint it. And I just noticed that it includes the word "light!" :LOL:

Ha! More 'light'! That's funny. And you're right, that's a beautiful passage. There's so much good singing in 'TFOL'... I think my recent delving into this album has given me greater appreciation for Geddy's singing.

And as for the bit of Geddy-ness with 'getting off'... the first time I heard Geddy say this, in an interview or something, I was a little stunned ("Wow, Geddy, TMI!"), as I took it in a modern context, instead of what he surely means as a more old-fashioned approach! While I've gotten used to it, I still giggle a bit when I hear Geddy use it, which is a fair bit, actually! :)

Most of Geddy's vocals are my favorite moments. Here are two of my favorite LIVE moments:

- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn3w1o0grKw - The way he sings his vocal solo at 4:28 gives me goosebumps.

- Middletown Dreams in Phoenix: That emotional "Ohhhh" (which can be also heard on the studio version) is just beautiful. He nailed it at the concert! The second moment from this song is the way he sang "Dreams transport desireeeeeeeees" at the same show. I mean, wow! His vibrato on the word "desires" is just killer! :D

Start watching at 1:09

Ooh, nice bump for this thread! I've always got time to give Geddy's voice some love!

PaleFacsimile mentioned "Mission" from Snakes And Arrows Live. That one is definitely one of my top Geddy vocal performances. I didn't care for the song very much on the Hold Your Fire album, but I'm positively in love with Snakes And Arrows Live version of it. I already posted about my love for that performance earlier in this thread, but here's the video to go with it:

Last night I was listening to Clockwork Angels (again! :LOL:) and thinking about some of the vocal bits on that record that I especially love. I love the vocals throughout the album, but I always notice in particular the first verse of the title track, the way his voice rises through each line up to the peak of "Clockwork angels bathed in liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight!" Given my love for the Time Machine performance of "Presto," I suppose maybe I've got a thing for Geddy singing the word "light!" :LOL:

Also, on Clockwork Angels, the song Halo Effect gets little respect, but I love it, and mostly because of Geddy's singing. I love the pensive/reflective mood of the vocals, and the way he sings the line "Little by little I bu-u-u-urned" is just...ooooooooooooooh :wub:

This is like me and Geddy's singing of the word 'and'! I don't know what it is, but every time he sings 'and' it gets my attention - I like how he pronounces it. And it's a pretty common word, so I get a lot of it! :)

Oh, and also the word 'hand'. I guess that's kind of natural, since it's 'and' with a little extra something at the start. 'Earthshine' and 'The Big Money' have some pretty good 'hand' moments.

Oh, it's interesting, sometimes, the things that get us off, as Geddy would say!

I really want to keep (at least some of) my dignity, so I won't say anything of the things I'm thinking about that last line there. :LOL: ;)

I was listening to "In The Valley" from "The Fountain Of Lamneth" today. I find this bit incomparably evocative and beautiful:

Floods

with light...

I wish I could paint it. And I just noticed that it includes the word "light!" :LOL:

Ha! More 'light'! That's funny. And you're right, that's a beautiful passage. There's so much good singing in 'TFOL'... I think my recent delving into this album has given me greater appreciation for Geddy's singing.

And as for the bit of Geddy-ness with 'getting off'... the first time I heard Geddy say this, in an interview or something, I was a little stunned ("Wow, Geddy, TMI!"), as I took it in a modern context, instead of what he surely means as a more old-fashioned approach! While I've gotten used to it, I still giggle a bit when I hear Geddy use it, which is a fair bit, actually! :)

:LOL: Actually, I'm of an age to have thought of it the old way first, but I had to chuckle when I consider the modern slang.

Anyway, we all know that there are very close ties between rock'n'roll and sex :yes:

Floods

with light...

Floods

with light...

LOVE that part of Lamneth. And, to think, they wrote that when they were about 22. Yhe lyrics, especially, years ahead of themselves.

Floods

with light...

Floods

with light...

LOVE that part of Lamneth. And, to think, they wrote that when they were about 22. Yhe lyrics, especially, years ahead of themselves.

To me, that passage is just amazing. The elegant instrumentation, the rhythm of the words and Geddy's delicate touch on the vocal performance make it sheer aural poetry. Every syllable is perfect.

I could sing the praises of Geds vocals all day long :)

I agree that "Carnies" is one of the coolest choruses he has crafted in quite some time.

His performance on the entire album is fantastic, from the almost reckless abandon of "Headlong Flight" to the fragility and ache of his vocal in "The Garden".

It's understandable that many people judge his vocals based on the ferocity of his voice as a young man - but there is so much more to his voice then that now and he has many more tools in his toolbox. His harmonies, for example, are sublime - people don't realize how difficult it is to write effective harmonies. The chorus of the title track is just fantastic.

Gonna go hop in the car and crank some Clockwork Angels right now :)

• Like 2

It's understandable that many people judge his vocals based on the ferocity of his voice as a young man - but there is so much more to his voice then that now and he has many more tools in his toolbox.

Absolutely true. Technically speaking, he is a much (MUCH) better singer than he was in the '70s. It was around the Grace Under Pressure era that I think his vocal chops really became refined. And I think the Hold Your Fire album contains what I would call his 'purest' singing- not straining, and just melodic and beautiful. Even if there is a song or maybe two that I tend to skip on that album, I think it's a great record.

I was listening to Hemispheres yesterday, though, and there were several passages that caught my ear, for some reason- I was just really into the vocal- perhaps because I was thinking about the things that other people have cited in this thread. Anyway, to wit:

"You need onlyyyy trust your feelings

Only love can steer you right"

"The warriors felt my silent cry

And stayed their struggle, MYS-tified!"

There are tons of others I could think of, from all over the place, but that'll do for now.

• Like 1

Flyer. Welcome. I am also new as you can see by my post count. This forum has the house rocking. I cannot read a thread without pulling one out of the "vault" as Geddy would say.

In fact "Between the Wheels" on S&A is great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Most of Geddy's vocals are my favorite moments. Here are two of my favorite LIVE moments:

- https://www.youtube....h?v=Tn3w1o0grKw - The way he sings his vocal solo at 4:28 gives me goosebumps.

- Middletown Dreams in Phoenix: That emotional "Ohhhh" (which can be also heard on the studio version) is just beautiful. He nailed it at the concert! The second moment from this song is the way he sang "Dreams transport desireeeeeeeees" at the same show. I mean, wow! His vibrato on the word "desires" is just killer! :D

Start watching at 1:09

You're right - that is a nice 'desires'! I really liked that they played this song. It happened to be my personally least-known song of the tour, but one of my favourites, as it's good and rather a nice change from something like 'Limelight'.

• Like 1

Another one of Geddy's vocals's menoet' is his stillar vocals instromentals when he not singing!!!!!!

Download spell check Flyer. Its free.

What browser do you use?

Another one of Geddy's vocals's menoet' is his stillar vocals instromentals when he not singing!!!!!!

I'll skip the berating of making a joke about Geddy's vocals in a 'I Love Geddy's Vocals' thread (and I'm not sure what 'menoet'' is - is this 'moment'?) and instead remark: can you imagine if Geddy decided to sing lyrics during the instrumentals? I mean, imagine playing 'YYZ', skipping through the bass and keyboards and singing at the same time! I don't know how Geddy does it with some of their regular songs, never mind with some of the crazy instrumentals! Lots and lots of practice, I guess.

Hmm, anyone here that's bass-proficient want to take a stab of turning 'YYZ' into a lyrical song? :P

That's very nice,Mika,yes,I meant "moment" dude haha!!! and yes,that would be very nice if Geddy would sing in the instrumentals,but,for me,the instrumentals are another exampie why I loved Geddy and Rush becouse they are the wonderful band they are

Geds voice is an instrument in and of itself :)

Totally! The first thing that I was attracted to in Rush! :)

Me too, Mika :) I am definately a fellow lover of Geds voice and the way he has adapted and evolved over all these years.

Geds voice is an instrument in and of itself :)

Totally! The first thing that I was attracted to in Rush! :)

Me too, Mika :) I am definately a fellow lover of Geds voice and the way he has adapted and evolved over all these years.

It's very interesting listening to the different singing he has done over the years, though a lot is quite subtle, other than comparing the 70s stuff to today! I've been particularly into his 'drier'-sounding Presto / Roll the Bones era lately. But one thing he's always had is an amazingly precise vibrato. It's like he simply has to open his mouth and all this wonderful noise just effortlessly slips out. I wish I could sing like him, so I could belt out my favourite Rush songs (and do them justice, ahem), when no one's around!

Some of my Geddy highlights:

"Each of us—a CELL of awareness, imPERfect, AAAND INCOMPLETE!"—"Freewill" (live), 'Different Stages'

"Christ, what have you done?"—"The Pass"

"For my father and my brother, it's too late, but I must help my mother stand up STRAIGHT!"—"Red Sector A" (live), 'A Show of Hands'

"All the world's indeed a STAGE and WE ARE MERELY PLAYers, performers and portrayers, each another's audience outside the gilded cage."—"Limelight" (live), 'Time Machine 2011: Live in Cleveland'

Whenever he yells, "Ohh, yeah!" during a live performance of "The Spirit of Radio"

Decided to listen to Caress of Steel last night so I could bask in Geddy's singing before falling asleep. Man, that guy has some good vocals on this album! He just sounds so... perfect. And he was, what - 22 at the time? I just can't get enough of the changing styles of 'The Fountain of Lamneth'. And the sparse but awesome vocals of 'The Necromancer'. Not to mention the guitar riffage. :)