The 'We love Geddy's singing!' thread!

Mika

Overall, I like Geddy's voice in 2 flavors.

1. In "Banshee wail" mode, as shown on songs like 2112 or Cygnus X-1.

2. His softer approaches, like Tears, Acoustic Resist, and The Sphere: A Kind of Dream (Ending of Hemispheres)

• Like 1

Even more greatness

"YEAH! WOAH, YEAH!" and "FINDING MY WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY" (Finding My Way)

"SQUARE. FOR. BATAAAAAAAAAAALE! LET THE FRAY BEGIN!" (By-Tor And the Snow Dog)

"WONDERS IN THE WORLD THEY, WRO-OUGHT! WRO-OUGHT! WRO-OUGHT!" (Anthem)

"I'VE SEEN THE HAND, OF MAN ARISE. WITH HUNGRY MIND, AND OPEN EYES! (Oracle: The Dream)

"WOAH YEAH, WOAAAAA YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA..." (Overture (Live))

"Home to tear the temples down, HOME TO CHAAAANGE" (Oracle: The Dream)

"LOOKING FOOOOOOOOOOOR, AAAAN OPEN DOOOOOR" and "NO MATTER WHAT YOUR DREAMS MIGHT, BEEEEEEEEYAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH...." (Something For Nothing)

"NOOOOO! You didn't listen A-gain!" (Lessons)

"Well, i see you standing there with your finger in the air, EVERYTHING WE DO, YOU WANNA LEAVE IT UP TO YOOOU!" and "I THINK YOU NEED SOME GROOVIN', WHO YOU THINK YOU'RE FOOLING NOOOOOOOOOOOW!" (What You're Doing (ATWAS))

"EYES cast out on the path of LEAST, RESISTAAAAAAAAAAANCE" (A Farewell To Kings)

"WOAAAAH! PARADIIIIIISE!" (Xanadu)

"Closer to the HEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAART! YEAAAH!" (Closer To The Heart)

"Spiraled, through the timeless SPACE, into THIS! IMMORTAL! PLAAAAAAACE! (Hemispheres)

"And Stayed their struggle, MYS-tified!" (Hemispheres)

and much, much later...

"I WISH, THAT I, COULD LIVE, IT ALL, AGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIN!" (Headlong Flight)

Don't you love typing out vocalizations?

I love when Geddy's vocalizations get typed out! tongue.gif

And, holy cow, yes to 'Cygnus X-1'. My favourite part is just before the 'nerve' part: "Like a spiral sea, unending". I love how enormously loud, urgent, and shrieky he is here!

The highest note GED sings.. Top f# I believe, is right there!

• Like 1

I tolerate his vocals but objectively they're not great overall. That said I've defended him to the hilt over the years.

The important thing is that without the Lee vocals Rush wouldn't be Rush.

I love when Geddy's vocalizations get typed out! tongue.gif

And, holy cow, yes to 'Cygnus X-1'. My favourite part is just before the 'nerve' part: "Like a spiral sea, unending". I love how enormously loud, urgent, and shrieky he is here!

The highest note GED sings.. Top f# I believe, is right there!

That note is actually a high A (A5). He hits that same note in Anthem ("WROOOOOUGHT"), Battle Scar, and Finding My Way.

However, the "TORRRN APAAAAAAART" note is 1 step higher, reaching high Bb (Bb5). He also hits a B5 in the Fresno version in 1977.

• Like 1

Of course, we love his voice, and his range and all that ...

But it is the guy who is singing it that makes it all so fantastic ..

My spirits are low in the depths of despair, my lifeblood, spills ooooooooover

Imagine other singers performing that - Jon Anderson ?? Love him, but that line will come across completely wrong

How about the guy from Kansas ? .. what's his name, Walsh ?? .. If he sings it - totally pretentious and self important ..

Geddy could belt it out with the best, and with complete balls, but he always retained that vulnerability and oddness

The guy is as sincere as they come

Edited by Lucas

So what is his true range, let's say then as opposed to now, I guess the lowest notes he sang were in 'the trees'(trouble with the trees)?

The low note in The Trees is A2, on (The maples want MORE sunlight), which he also hits on Roll The Bones and The Fountain of Lamneth.

However, he has gone lower. Red Lenses features a G#2, and Double Agent is the lowest, with the spoken parts bottoming out at C2.

With his highest note B5, that puts his range as nearly 4 octaves.