What my 9 years old said tonight...

Barry

On our way home from dinner tonight my 9 years old son (middle of my 3 boys) asked if I could put o "War Paint" for the drive home, which I did. we both sang it together all teh way home.

He then told me that Spirit of Radio is his favorite Rush song, 2112 is his second favorite and that War Paint is is third favorite.

I couldn't be prouder of the brainwashing job I have done on my boys :-)

I had to share!

I have two boys, 18 and 12....

My big one is an academic master, in his first year of college. Bio-medicine major....Skies the limit...... No musical aspirations.....

My little one, dumb as a rock, struggling through middle school. Plays drums and guitar and 'Knows Neil as a God'.....

So...... Yes....I am very proud also....on 'hmmm'.... different levels.

When my youngest daughter was only about 4, she could recite and precisely rap along to the rap section in Roll The Bones. She's 23 now and she still does it.

Darn Rush kids... yes.gif

QUOTE (Thunder Bay Rush @ Oct 14 2012, 10:06 PM)
When my youngest daughter was only about 4, she could recite and precisely rap along to the rap section in Roll The Bones. She's 23 now and she still does it.

Darn Rush kids... yes.gif

Roll the Bones is my youngest son's favorite song (he's 8, and he like to rap along with it too!)

Awesome!

My 14 year-old pulled out Clockwork Angels when his friend was over last night and they sat there in silence from beginning to end.

And that was after choosing it for the car ride that morning.

He'll be seeing shows 7 and 8 next week.

QUOTE (WIDE-ANGLE WATCHER @ Oct 14 2012, 08:40 PM)
I have two boys,  18 and 12....

My big one is an academic master, in his first year of college. Bio-medicine major....Skies the limit...... No musical aspirations.....

My little one, dumb as a rock, struggling through middle school.  Plays drums and guitar and 'Knows Neil as a God'.....

So...... Yes....I am very proud also....on 'hmmm'.... different levels.

My oldest son, is almost 14, and plays guitar (like me). He is does really well in school (90's and above) and he is in a band, singing and playing lead guitar. Rush and Van Halen are pretty much all he listens to!

I took him to see Rush on the Time Machine tour, and to see VH at MSG this past March...he's going this Saturday night with me to see Rush in Newark...but he doesn't know it yet! (there's a thread about it HERE if you want to know more).

Cant wait to see the look on his face when he finds out!!

Excellent! Indoctrinating them young! Thank you for sharing! applaudit.gif smile.gif

QUOTE (CygnusGal @ Oct 15 2012, 10:18 AM)
Excellent! Indoctrinating them young! Thank you for sharing! applaudit.gif smile.gif

+1

QUOTE (ytserush @ Oct 14 2012, 10:25 PM)
Awesome!

My 14 year-old pulled out Clockwork Angels when his friend was over last night and they sat there in silence from beginning to end.

And that was after choosing it for the car ride that morning.

He'll be seeing shows 7 and 8 next week.

cool10.gif

Took my 16 yo to see the boys in Mpls. last month. He's been doing nothing but listening to all their songs since and has even ranked their entire catalog.

My 4 year old son loves jamming to By-tor and the Snow dog with me.

I play the guitar and he rocks out on the......piano! haha.

Whenever he wants to hear By-tor he says "put the song with the bird on it" (meaning the Fly by night owl).

Edited by thirteen

What my 9-year old said tonight: "turn that crap off dad, you're so old geez.." sad.gif

QUOTE (Barry @ Oct 14 2012, 06:44 PM)
On our way home from dinner tonight my 9 years old son (middle of my 3 boys) asked if I could put o "War Paint" for the drive home, which I did. we both sang it together all teh way home.

He then told me that Spirit of Radio is his favorite Rush song, 2112 is his second favorite and that War Paint is is third favorite.

I had to share!

Yeah man, that's a great story it's almost the same thing with my 10 y/o daughter.

I put Power Windows on in the car on the way home last Sunday and when Marathon came on she goes "OHHH! I LOVE THIS ONE!!" and then sang the whole thing. She also really likes Territories and Mystic Rythms.

And although Roll the Bones is one of her favorite RUSH songs of all time, she can still sing something like Cygnus or Coldfire which is a great range.

QUOTE (Barry @ Oct 14 2012, 10:25 PM)
QUOTE (Thunder Bay Rush @ Oct 14 2012, 10:06 PM)
When my youngest daughter was only about 4, she could recite and precisely rap along to the rap section in Roll The Bones.  She's 23 now and she still does it.

Darn Rush kids...  yes.gif

Roll the Bones is my youngest son's favorite song (he's 8, and he like to rap along with it too!)

Wow weird, I wonder how many young'uns like Roll the Bones the best?

My two boys are now 22 & 20 . Both have been educated in all things ' Rush'

from birth . The only downside to this is it now costs me a small fortune to take them to the gigs , but i will take to my grave the look on their faces when the mighty Canadian threesome opened up with 'The R30 Overture'

Priceless...

It's always so great to see parents getting their kids into one of the greatest bands that ever existed!

When I was around 13 or so, my dad played A Show Of Hands for me and of course, I loved what I heard! I then saw 2112 in his album collection and was again blown away!

Edited by fonzbear2000

I had to share!

This typically lasts until around age 14 when they realize it is no longer cool to listen to the same music as your parents do. My 15-yr old, who can play bass, lead guitar, and drums, has migrated over into Metallica, Slipknot, and Lamb of God. Rush is still on the list, but is currently tied for third with Lamb of God.