Feeling pretty good right now...

Barry

I got tickets for the Brooklyn NY show the day they went on sale...3 tickets, one for me, one for my 13 year old son and one for a friend.

I have pretty much turned my son into a Rush fanatic (I'm very proud of that by the way) and he was really excited about the show. This would be his second Rush show, I took him to the Time Machine tour show at Jones Beach when he was 11.

A few weeks ago, we found out that my son was invited to attend a 3 day trip with his school, but he would be leaving Monday, Oct 22nd...the same day as the Rush show.

I told him that the trip was a once in a life time opportunity and that there would be other Rush shows... I let it be his ultimate decision, and it was a difficult decision for him, but he reluctantly choose to go on the trip.

He told me he didn't even want a T-shirt from the show, and he didn't want me to tell him anything about the show (including the set list) because he is hoping that they will do a second leg in 2013 and he made me promise to take him to see the band then.

Well, last night I decided to get tickets for the two of us to go to the show at the Prudential Center on Oct 20th. I was able to get 2 good tickets on the side of the stage in Section 17...Alex's side.

My son doesn't know, I am going to surprise him.

Best of all, I get to go both nights and hopefully see both set lists :-) My tickets for the Brooklyn show are in a similar spot on Geddy's side, so I will be able to see the show from both perspectives.

Feeling pretty good right now, and I know I am going to blow his mind! Just had to share.

QUOTE (Barry @ Oct 7 2012, 05:29 PM)
I got tickets for the Brooklyn NY show the day they went on sale...3 tickets, one for me, one for my 13 year old son and one for a friend.

I have pretty much turned my son into a Rush fanatic (I'm very proud of that by the way) and he was really excited about the show.  This would be his second Rush show, I took him to the Time Machine tour show at Jones Beach when he was 11.

A few weeks ago, we found out that my son was invited to attend a 3 day trip with his school, but he would be leaving Monday, Oct 22nd...the same day as the Rush show.

I told him that the trip was a once in a life time opportunity and that there would be other Rush shows... I let it be his ultimate decision, and it was a difficult decision for him, but he reluctantly choose to go on the trip.

He told me he didn't even want a T-shirt from the show, and he didn't want me to tell him anything about the show (including the set list) because he is hoping that they will do a second leg in 2013 and he made me promise to take him to see the band then.

Well, last night I decided to get tickets for the two of us to go to the show at the Prudential Center on Oct 20th.  I was able to get 2 good tickets on the side of the stage in Section 17...Alex's side.

Best of all, I get to go both nights and hopefully see both set lists :-)  My tickets for the Brooklyn show are in a similar spot on Geddy's side, so I will be able to see the show from both perspectives.

Feeling pretty good right now, and I know I am going to blow his mind!  Just had to share.

Good story! I hope he's surprised.

Thanks for sharing. smile.gif

QUOTE (Barry @ Oct 7 2012, 02:29 PM)

I have pretty much turned my son into a Rush fanatic (I'm very proud of that by the way) and he was really excited about the show. This would be his second Rush show, I took him to the Time Machine tour show at Jones Beach when he was 11.

Well, last night I decided to get tickets for the two of us to go to the show at the Prudential Center on Oct 20th. I was able to get 2 good tickets on the side of the stage in Section 17...Alex's side.

Best of all, I get to go both nights and hopefully see both set lists :-) My tickets for the Brooklyn show are in a similar spot on Geddy's side, so I will be able to see the show from both perspectives.

Feeling pretty good right now, and I know I am going to blow his mind! Just had to share.

Thats what you call NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

QUOTE (Barry @ Oct 7 2012, 04:29 PM)

Nice.

awesome story! I'm going to both shows 2. Ill be in section 4 at the BK show and section 7 at the Prudential. So ill get the experience from the Orchestra seating as well as the one level up. I got some good video from that TMT show

at Jones Beach and plan on recording a few songs on both shows.

You're a great dad! I've been very generous lately when it comes to concerts, too, but sometimes it backfires when I'm the only one who wants to go (ie. Down and Meshuggah this past year--had a pair of tix for both and no one to go with). My son's only 17 months old, so I have a ways to go before I start bringing him to shows.

I'll be at the Newark show too, somewhere in the first 15 rows, but I don't know where yet (VIP "mystery ticket" package). 18 years ago my friend Joe came to an MSG show with me and two other friends, one of whom got us an invite to the aftershow party and meet and greet (not a photo op--this was really a chance to hang out a little with the band at a party thrown by Atlantic Records). So this time, I'm bringing my older brother, and it looks like we'll get to say hi to Geddy and Alex for about 20 seconds.

QUOTE (HalfwayToGone @ Oct 8 2012, 08:37 AM)
You're a great dad!

Thanks for saying that. I like rewarding my kids when they make the right decisions. I actually have 3 sons (8, 9 and 13) all of them are into music (my two oldest are also playing guitar now, following in my footsteps) and going to concerts has started getting very expensive since they all want to go with me when I go. Earlier this year, I took my two oldest and my wife to see Van Halen at MSG...4 decent seats to that show cost me about $600, plus a few $40 t-shirts, parking dinner before the show and snacks at the show, it was close to a $900 night!

But seeing your kids rock out to the same music I was into at their age is priceless!

That is awesome! Kudos to your son for making a very mature decision at such a young age.

Make good decisions and great things happen!

All is for the Best!

Even though I'm 50, could you be my dad too?

I'll wash your car, I'll do the dishes and I'll never be late for school... all you have to do is take me to see Rush.

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Barry @ Oct 7 2012, 04:29 PM)

That's one of the best stories I've heard in a long time.

Cheers to you for being a great dad. I applaud you!!! trink39.gif

QUOTE (Thunder Bay Rush @ Oct 8 2012, 07:29 PM)
Even though I'm 50, could you be my dad too?

I'll wash your car, I'll do the dishes and I'll never be late for school... all you have to do is take me to see Rush.

biggrin.gif

laugh.gif

That is awesome, man! I was excited for him just reading it. Have fun!

Thanks everyone, it means a lot! It's been a big week...his band got to go into NYC yesterday to audition to be in a TV commercial...they were so excited! He still doesn't know about the concert, I am going to surprise him that afternoon!