Best wishes GOAR

Lost In Xanadu

Wishing you a speedy recovery, GOAR. heart.gif

Holy crap, I never even saw this thread until just now! Thanks a lot guys.

As chance would have it though, I was looking for the thread I had started to post an update regarding what's happening today when I stumbled on this one. And what's happening today is that this afternoon my heart started beating really fast and fluttering and didn't show any signs of letting up after a couple hours. So I had my nephew bring me to the same heart hospital's emergency room. They told me that my heart went into what they call A-fib and that it's fairly common after heart surgery due to the stress of the operation on the heart. They have me on an IV putting meds in my system that will slow the heart down and stop the fluttering. Unfortunately, because they didn't get the results they were looking for in the allotted time, I have to spend the night here. Hopefully it will be where it needs to be by morning.

Anyway, thanks again everyone for the well wishes!

QUOTE (Ghost of a Rider @ Sep 22 2012, 09:09 PM)

As chance would have it though, I was looking for the thread I had started to post an update regarding what's happening today when I stumbled on this one. And what's happening today is that this afternoon my heart started beating really fast and fluttering and didn't show any signs of letting up after a couple hours. So I had my nephew bring me to the same heart hospital's emergency room. They told me that my heart went into what they call A-fib and that it's fairly common after heart surgery due to the stress of the operation on the heart. They have me on an IV putting meds in my system that will slow the heart down and stop the fluttering. Unfortunately, because they didn't get the results they were looking for in the allotted time, I have to spend the night here. Hopefully it will be where it needs to be by morning.

Just try and stay relaxed, GoaR. Complications like this are a lot more common than you might think after heart surgery. Everyone that I heard of that had complications after surgery turned out being just fine after a little time.

QUOTE (snowdogged @ Sep 22 2012, 09:20 PM)
QUOTE (Ghost of a Rider @ Sep 22 2012, 09:09 PM)

Just try and stay relaxed, GoaR. Complications like this are a lot more common than you might think after heart surgery. Everyone that I heard of that had complications after surgery turned out being just fine after a little time.

Yeah, they're telling me it's fairly common so I'm not that concerned about it. It was just a little disconcerting the way my heart was triphammering and wouldn't let up.

Anyway, they took care of that problem last night but they want to start me on another medication that is designed to prevent my heart from going into A-fib again and then monitor me overnight. That means I have to spend another goddamn night here. Shit!

I'll keep everyone posted.

I JUST saw this and am relieved to know the surgery went well. Fingers crossed that you'll be out and about again shortly.

Why a total bypass instead of a stent? Someone told me that bypasses are now done only when there is a 100% blockage - otherwise they insert stents to open the arteries. If that's the case. . .well, I'm glad it was caught in time, even though hospitals and surgery are not a lot of fun. But then neither is a heart attack.

QUOTE (Mara @ Sep 23 2012, 01:09 PM)
I JUST saw this and am relieved to know the surgery went well. Fingers crossed that you'll be out and about again shortly.

Why a total bypass instead of a stent? Someone told me that bypasses are now done only when there is a 100% blockage - otherwise they insert stents to open the arteries. If that's the case. . .well, I'm glad it was caught in time, even though hospitals and surgery are not a lot of fun. But then neither is a heart attack.

They wanted to put in a stent but there was no blockage per se. What they found was a section of artery that was "diseased", to use their word. They said it was genetics rather than plaque buildup.

The ironic thing about all this is that I was experiencing no symptoms or anything, I just decided to get checked out to ease my mind because I had just turned 49 and we have a family history. Who knew?

Okay folks, just a short note on my progress. I was released this morning and am now back at home. They prescribed the new medication and also Lipitor for cholesterol. One of the nurses mentioned that some people have side effects from the statins in the Lipitor such as joint pain and whatnot. I hope I don't have that problem because there's no way I'm living the rest of my life with that kind of aggravation. If I do, I'm going to stop taking them, simple as that.

Anyway, everything's good for the time being. Just tired from inadequate rest and I'm also having some back and shoulder pain because I haven't been able to sleep any way but on my back and I never did sleep well that way.