Isn't it strange how...

Thunder Bay Rush

I was away on a fly-in fishing trip for nearly a week and I've been internet-less since Sept 5. I got back today, checked this site to see how the first couple of shows were going and... holy shit.

Long before the internet changed the world, we just went to see Rush. Why? Because it was Rush. We never analyzed or disected set lists, talked about whether or not shows were selling well and the reasons for it.

I cannot believe how much negativity I'm hearing about this or that ... set lists, drum solos, on and on. I thought we were all Rush fans. Is that not why one would sign up for a forum like this?

Sometimes I wish the GD internet would go away. (Strange comment really, since I am ON IT right now.)

For me, I can't wait to see the band in Minneapolis, and yes, that'll be an eight hour drive from Thunder Bay, Ontario. Why am I going to see them for my 28th show? Because it's Rush.

As far as the "set list" goes, I couldn't give a rat's piece of shit what songs they play. Sure, there are some songs that I really like to see done live, but...

It's still Rush, the world's best band.

QUOTE (Thunder Bay Rush @ Sep 12 2012, 12:11 PM)
I was away on a fly-in fishing trip for nearly a week and I've been internet-less since Sept 5. I got back today, checked this site to see how the first couple of shows were going and... holy shit.

Long before the internet changed the world, we just went to see Rush. Why? Because it was Rush. We never analyzed or disected set lists, talked about whether or not shows were selling well and the reasons for it.

I cannot believe how much negativity I'm hearing about this or that ... set lists, drum solos, on and on. I thought we were all Rush fans. Is that not why one would sign up for a forum like this?

Sometimes I wish the GD internet would go away. (Strange comment really, since I am ON IT right now.)

For me, I can't wait to see the band in Minneapolis, and yes, that'll be an eight hour drive from Thunder Bay, Ontario. Why am I going to see them for my 28th show? Because it's Rush.

As far as the "set list" goes, I couldn't give a rat's piece of shit what songs they play. Sure, there are some songs that I really like to see done live, but...

It is kind of hard to take when you see all the negative. What does Rush owe us besides performing the best they can at their shows? If you don't like the album--don't buy it.

Agreed and more. "It's so today" though don't you think? Nothing sacred from being analyzed and broken down to death, least common denominator, reality show in motion with everything, critical analysis, etc etc,.... trying not to be such a ranter hoser bit I'm lettin loose a little.

Everybody's gotta get their top dollar bottom line figure what they paid for.

Entitlement set list. But it's been kinda like that before internet but you didn't hear or read about until you were with people at the show or the friends/fans etc, afterwards.

Everythings been magnified 10x's over.

I remember people having varying degrees of impressions negative and positive since my first show Hemispheres 1979. Sometimes I feel like I am the only one in my sector that appreciated anything they did over the years. I know it ain't true after being in this awesome forum with all you fine rush fans :-)

Out of my high school class of kids from the 70's I am have been in touch with a lot of them that got into Rush when we all did and I am the only one still following them. I have asked myself over the years why I still like them. Don;t always have an answer other than I love them.

Edited by jonnyj

I just can't get over the irony of people saying Rush "sold them out" or whatever because they're playing a setlist that appeals less to the mainstream. Not like this is a band that's as popular and successful as they are precisely because they did the same thing to their record label in 1976 or anything.

I'm sick of people and their opinions of the setlist.

Look at it this way, MOST bands (if they are still recording) play one or two songs off the new album, then play the same other 15 songs that they have been playing for YEARS! The fact that Rush pretty much changes the WHOLE setlist every tour or two is awesome as far as I'm concerned! most of these songs haven't been played since the tour in which they were originally recorded. Granted, I'm not the biggest fan of much of the output past 1980, and Power Windows is on my bottom 5 list, but at least we aren't getting the same 15 tired songs that they are tired of playing and we're tired of hearing! (and complaining that they are only playing the "radio" hits)

I can program my iPod to play all of the live discs, and except for a few tunes here and there, not really hear many repeats!

Yeah, I wish Rush were like the Dead, or Dave Matthews, and you get an entirely different setlist every single show, but it's NOT going to happen, at least they mix it up a bit from tour to tour!

Edited by Jaminbenb

QUOTE (Jaminbenb @ Sep 12 2012, 01:33 PM)

Then maybe a fan forum is Not for you then confused13.gif

QUOTE (Thunder Bay Rush @ Sep 12 2012, 01:11 PM)

Perfectly said! Im glad someone did!

2.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Sep 12 2012, 01:41 PM)

you've missed my point entirely...and the word FAN in the case you are referring is apparently a misnomer....

QUOTE (Jaminbenb @ Sep 12 2012, 01:56 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Sep 12 2012, 01:41 PM)

you've missed my point entirely...and the word FAN in the case you are referring is apparently a misnomer....

I got it, just a little tongue.gif that's all

QUOTE (Alchemical @ Sep 12 2012, 02:02 PM)
Can you guys imagine if there was NO internet around? People would FLIP (Even moreso than they are now!) over these setlists. I think with the advent of the internet, a lot of us have grown spoiled and expect everything to go our way when we see RUSH live.

old.gif Back in the good old days, you just learned all the songs because you didn't know what the setlist was so that was the only way to be prepared. At my first Rush concert, I heard some things about the setlist from a guy in line who heard it from his friend at the previous concert.

Gosh darn internet...takes all the imagination out of wondering what Brittany Spears' hooch looks like.

QUOTE (Thunder Bay Rush @ Sep 12 2012, 01:11 PM)
I was away on a fly-in fishing trip for nearly a week and I've been internet-less since Sept 5.  I got back today, checked this site to see how the first couple of shows were going and... holy shit.

Long before the internet changed the world, we just went to see Rush.  Why?  Because it was Rush.  We never analyzed or disected set lists, talked about whether or not shows were selling well and the reasons for it.

I cannot believe how much negativity I'm hearing about this or that ... set lists, drum solos, on and on.  I thought we were all Rush fans.  Is that not why one would sign up for a forum like this?

Sometimes I wish the GD internet would go away.  (Strange comment really, since I am ON IT right now.) 

For me, I can't wait to see the band in Minneapolis, and yes, that'll be an eight hour drive from Thunder Bay, Ontario.  Why am I going to see them for my 28th show?  Because it's Rush. 

As far as the "set list" goes, I couldn't give a rat's piece of shit what songs they play.  Sure, there are some songs that I really like to see done live, but...

goodpost.gif

Yeah, sometimes folks can get a little passionate about their opinions and everything becomes extreme and hyperbole rules the day.

There is some very good content in here, from some very good and intelligent people, but as Neil says:

Like a rare and precious metal beneath a ton of rock

It takes some time and trouble to separate from the stock

Sometimes you have to listen to a lot of useless talk

Personally, I try to post to the positive and keep the negativity to a minimum. Just like real life. Sometimes, I write a scathing response and then just delete it. It works for me. It did seem easier before the internets. Go to a show, love it, remember it for life. My memory and ticket stub are my only recollection of The New World Tour - my first concert ever ( old.gif I have a pin, too).

I'm glad you're in this forum. smile.gif Many, many years since I have been in Thunder Bay - I used to have family there.

2.gif 1022.gif

trink39.gif

wub.gif

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, shucks.

I checked your profile and I am jealous! You've met Geddy and Big Al and I haven't!!

QUOTE (mmm_donuts @ Sep 12 2012, 02:20 PM)

Gosh darn internet...takes all the imagination out of wondering what Brittany Spears' hooch looks like.

Oh great...now I'm going to have to go Google that. Thanks a lot.

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Sep 12 2012 @ 04:19 PM)
# of threads complaining about negativity > # of negative threads

Now that's funny! Sad, but funny.

Nice point, Thunder Bay. goodpost.gif

After a nice string of having seen RUSH five times during their three previous tours, I will be sitting this one out. Is the setlist part of the reason? Yes, but I was leaning against going the day the tour was announced(I don't like the venue here in Los Angeles plus $184 for the same seats I spent $140 for as recently as 2011 is a bit upsetting from a "general principle" stand point). The setlist just added fuel to my fire to stay away.

Still, I agree with your idea that the internet adds one word that should be banned from our vocabulary-EXPECTATIONS. What's better? To be upset going IN to the show or walking in, hoping for the best, and then complaining AFTER they're done? All the internet has done is make grouches out of many going in and cost the boys a little bit in day-of-show sales.

Edited by jjgittes

QUOTE (tullfan @ Sep 12 2012, 05:35 PM)
QUOTE (Thunder Bay Rush @ Sep 12 2012, 12:11 PM)
Sure, there are some songs that I really like to see done live, but...

and THAT is the reason you will never see Rush play the songs you would like to hear.

What's the reason? That Rush specifically sat down and was like "What songs does that Thunder Bay guy like? Yeah let's skip them." I'm sure that's what happened.

QUOTE (CygnusGal @ Sep 12 2012, 03:42 PM)

Yeah, sometimes folks can get a little passionate about their opinions and everything becomes extreme and hyperbole rules the day.

There is some very good content in here, from some very good and intelligent people, but as Neil says:

Like a rare and precious metal beneath a ton of rock
It takes some time and trouble to separate from the stock
Sometimes you have to listen to a lot of useless talk

Personally, I try to post to the positive and keep the negativity to a minimum.  Just like real life.

I feel the same way - I think there's enough negativity flying around here without me adding to it. Besides, when you step back and look at the whole picture there really isn't an awful lot to complain about. If you add up all the criticism it's actually a relatively small percentage. It doesn't amount to much more than a flea gnashing its teeth on the hide of a rhinoceros - the band and this forum is big enough to take it.

QUOTE (Thunder Bay Rush @ Sep 12 2012, 09:11 AM)

I think you make an excellent point, especially about life before the Internet.

comp26.gif

I'm thinking that like all relationships, you are either in it for the long haul or there comes a point where it's time to move on.

When I was a kid I freakin' loved U2. And then they went and f-ed everything up for me by releasing Zooropa, then Pop, and Bono stopped looking cute. After that, I broke up with them. Those bastards.

So instead of bitching and moaning I just stopped listening, and you won't see me at any of their shows or complaining about a set list that doesn't give me a chubby.

I have a friend that has been with them through thick and thin and sees as many shows possible on every tour, etc... He has decided to stick with them and that's good for him.

Why are people sitting here complaining about three guys they've probably never met and probably never will, not giving them what they want? It baffles me.

Just move on already.

bekloppt.gif

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Sep 12 2012, 08:27 PM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Sep 12 2012, 04:19 PM)
# of threads complaining about negativity > # of negative threads

confused13.gif

Everyone has an opinion and most of us on TRF express it twice.

I've been thinking about your formula. I wonder if it could be used to calculate an event horizon? Surely with all of this dense invective, we've accumulated enough to form a singularity. unsure.gif

Some folks have many opinions and I really enjoy their posts. Others sing one song.

To continue the Neil reference:

Like a teardrop in the ocean, a diamond in the waste

Some world views are spacious and some are merely spaced

2.gif 1022.gif

trink39.gif