Rush not nice guys?!

skullchrist

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Aug 21 2012, 02:45 PM)
QUOTE (Lerxster @ Aug 21 2012, 01:52 PM)
QUOTE (LedRush @ Aug 21 2012, 01:42 PM)
QUOTE (Lerxster @ Aug 21 2012, 01:41 PM)
QUOTE (LedRush @ Aug 21 2012, 01:02 PM)
QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Aug 21 2012, 12:23 PM)
QUOTE (Babycat @ Aug 21 2012, 11:11 AM)
I seriously doubt Rush were nasty to anyone.

Neil has proven to be very nasty at times. Venomous, too.

Very true.

Shooting blanks only embarrasses you.

Insulting other people without reason only embarrases you.

How did I insult you? And, if you've got some "very true" stories about Neil being venomous, then spill them. Otherwise, STFU. smile.gif

If you don't know the many stories that exist, then you are living in a cave or just refuse to acknowledge them..

You are killing me... many stories? laugh.gif

What hole did you climb out of? No, there might be some stories, but not "many stories" by rock standards. That is such a blatantly false statement- bookstores are riddled with the details of the stories of Rush's contemporaries. As were the magazines. Not much on Rush though. In fact, glaringly silent. Do you think it is a huge conspiracy? Are you imagining that Rush was as bad as Led Zeppelin perhaps?

Glad that you have been a model of perfection all your life- above reproach with all your interactions with your fellow human beings.

And sorry that you let the many and significant imperfections in your heros drive you to such bitterness.

Geddy, Alex, and especially Neil are just human, making up life as they go along like the rest of us. Sometimes they got it right, other times not so much.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah sure, you can find youtube videos of any number of celebrities acting like total tools so if a Rush member had a bad day, then they are indeed a human like the rest of us.

Imagine if you just blew your top and yelled at someone in public and it ended up on the internet. Now imagine how amplified that would be if you were famous.

Success - yes.

Fame - no thank you.

My guess is that the members of Rush have on occasion not always been the best of humanity. I'm also willing to make that claim about everyone else on the planet.

QUOTE (LedRush @ Aug 21 2012, 02:37 PM)
I found this online:

"Jackie Fox recalled: "So we're out playing on stage and the guys from Rush came to watch. As if the contempt on their faces and the boos from their fans? weren't bad enough, Cherie slipped and fell at one point during the set, and when I looked over, the guys in Rush were laughing at her. Of all the people I met while I was in the band, the members of Rush were the biggest jerks and in that moment exhibited the least class I have ever seen from a fellow musician."

Thanks. It's what I figured. Something minor that they're holding a major grudge about.

QUOTE (LedRush @ Aug 21 2012, 03:37 PM)
I found this online:

"Jackie Fox recalled: "So we're out playing on stage and the guys from Rush came to watch. As if the contempt on their faces and the boos from their fans weren't bad enough, Cherie slipped and fell at one point during the set, and when I looked over, the guys in Rush were laughing at her.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...People falling down is funny!!!

Maybe she made a hilarious face as she was going down and the band was the only one to see it. Maybe her leg did some kind of crazy twist or she flopped around like a deer on a frozen lake...That can be funny...Maybe they just saw it from a diferent angle and that make it funny to them.

Maybe they're jerks.

I found this online:

"Jackie Fox recalled: "So we're out playing on stage and the guys from Rush came to watch. As if the contempt on their faces and the boos from their fans weren't bad enough, Cherie slipped and fell at one point during the set, and when I looked over, the guys in Rush were laughing at her. Of all the people I met while I was in the band, the members of Rush were the biggest jerks and in that moment exhibited the least class I have ever seen from a fellow musician."

Cool story. Hmm...well...I have to say that's pretty funny! wacko.gif

I guess if they were real pricks they would've booted them off the tour.

The reality is we're not all saints and when life gives us the opportunity to rise to the occasion more often than not people don't. But as a whole Alex and Geddy(especially in more recent years(when I recent I mean in the past 30 years, lol! Man I'm getting old!)) have risen to the occasion and in my eyes tend to be truly genuine and humble people.

As a human being it can be a long journey to obtain such genuine humility, if it's obtained at all. And being a Rock Star and a celebrity makes it ten times harder when you're constantly under the microscope.

Edited by skullchrist

QUOTE (skullchrist @ Aug 21 2012, 10:53 AM)
First of all I know that Kim Fowley is prone to eccentricities and exaggeration but does anyone know what he's talking about here:

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/ru...ts-to-runaways/

I know everyone is human and are entitled to a bad day now and again but this just doesn't sound right to me. Thanks.

I think Lerxst tapped Lita and then ignored her. Joan, the lesbian, was jealous and wanted to impress Lita.

Cherie now lives in the land of obscurity, doing chainsaw art. Dirt poor and a nobody who got 15 extra minutes of fame when they made a flop movie about her one-hit wonder band.

Kim is a lowlife who is trying to self-promote. He does this by being controversial.

I found this online:

"Jackie Fox recalled: "So we're out playing on stage and the guys from Rush came to watch. As if the contempt on their faces and the boos from their fans weren't bad enough, Cherie slipped and fell at one point during the set, and when I looked over, the guys in Rush were laughing at her. Of all the people I met while I was in the band, the members of Rush were the biggest jerks and in that moment exhibited the least class I have ever seen from a fellow musician."

Cherie was probably drunk.

I found this online:

I read an interview with Joan Jett when the movie The Runaways was just released and she said that she could not stand the guys from Rush because they use to sit at the side of the stage and laugh at them.

So many people here think that the guys in Rush are these pure superior beings or something, and that they would never do anything wrong (And if one of them did do something wrong, it surely must have been Neil. lol). They are people just like us. They seem like they are very nice and decent guys but everyone is a jerk sometimes, especially when we are young.

Cherie also said this:

"They were sabotaging our equipment. Sabotaging our stage show. They were doing everything they could to stop us. But, we were unstoppable. The only thing that stopped us was ourselves," says Currie.

It wouldn't surprise me if the road crew pulled stuff like that. That happened ALL THE TIME in those days. I'm sure there were bands that tried to do it to Rush. This is at a point where Rush would have only just started to headline.

I wonder whose bright idea it was to put these two bands on the same bill anyway. They are about as diametrically opposed as two bands can get.

Kim Fowley is a sleazeball. The bassist from the Bangles was also the original Runaways bassist, and he kicked her out of the band because she refused to sleep with him.

QUOTE (LedRush @ Aug 21 2012, 06:01 PM)
Cherie also said this:

"They were sabotaging our equipment. Sabotaging our stage show. They were doing everything they could to stop us. But, we were unstoppable. The only thing that stopped us was ourselves," says Currie.

OMG NOOOOOO - I simply cannot believe how mean Rush was to a really shitty band in the 70's.

And for the record, they were a really, really, really shitty band with vile personalities. Watch any interview - or watch the terrible movie that does them no favors.

Ledrush, Gemini - you both act like scorned lovers of the band Rush.

You should start your own all girl band.

On a similar note.

About 10 years ago I was listening to one of the big radio stations here in Orlando and the shows host always asks musical acts he interviews the same question and that is, if there was ever anyone who they didn't like touring with or didn't get along with. On this particular day he was interviewing Robin Zander of Cheap Trick and when asked the question Robin said,"....welllll...the guys from 2.gif weren't really cool to us, we weren't with them long".

So maybe some of the stories we hear are true...maybe not. Who knows.

Well, just to play devil's advocate...

Surely many of you guys remember which book it was of Neil's where he stated shoving an eager fan (who had found his way into Neil's dressing room or the like) so hard that the dude fell back. Yeah, Neil wrote that he felt truly sorry about that [and I believe he was] and apologized in the book itself. HOWEVER, if you had been that fan AND had not read about Neil's apology in that book then you'd probably think that Peart was a total bastard. Obviously, it doesn't mean that Peart isn't a nice guy but given that circumstance it'd be understandable of that fan to hold ill feelings towards Neil.

QUOTE (Animate @ Aug 21 2012, 02:45 PM)
Sure, 20-something year old guys touring in a hard rock band, they undoubtedly did a lot of stuff that they are not proud of, including being a$$holes and jerks at times.

Big deal. Last time I checked, Alex, Geddy, and Neil were stoner, high school dropouts, not boy scouts. They did pretty well, considering.

Those 20-something guys are now in their late 50's, and I would bet real money that if they were to meet the girls from The Runaways today, it would be a very good experience. The guys would even apologize for any nastiness that may have happened.

This is a non-story. This Kim Fowley douchebag is only seeking attention..... new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

an all girl punk band where none of the members were friends with each other... sounds like Rush's polar opposite!

I'm sure it was a case of the two bands simply not having anything in common and keeping to themselves... then you have this Fowley guy who sounds like a used car salesman most likely pumping up the facts a little...

I'm sure Rush had a few jokes at thier expense, they were cockier back then! but wtf.. at least they took them on tour with them!

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Aug 22 2012, 06:32 AM)
Well, just to play devil's advocate...
Surely many of you guys remember which book it was of Neil's where he stated shoving an eager fan (who had found his way into Neil's dressing room or the like) so hard that the dude fell back. Yeah, Neil wrote that he felt truly sorry about that [and I believe he was] and apologized in the book itself. HOWEVER, if you had been that fan AND had not read about Neil's apology in that book then you'd probably think that Peart was a total bastard. Obviously, it doesn't mean that Peart isn't a nice guy but given that circumstance it'd be understandable of that fan to hold ill feelings towards Neil.

Yes. Ironically, the one qualifier of my earlier statement that bookstores are not full of books on Rush behaving badly (when it seems that everyone of their contemporaries has a tell-all book out- Kiss, Zep, Ozzy, etc etc) are Neil's own books.

However, instead of sordid-yet-cool tales of dealings with drugs and groupies, IMO the most shocking stories are Neil describing his interactions with fans in not-so-cool ways.

Typically Neil, describes these encounters very matter of fact, with brutal, guileless honesty. Ouch. But it is not clear he has any empathy towards the fan.

In one case a guy finds his way into Neil's tour bus with a stack of LP's and just wants Neil to sign them. Neil says something along the line of "well, I am not going to reward THAT sort of behavior" and ultimately the guy gets pushed out of the tour bus, scattering his stack of undoubtedly much loved LPs.

Obviously, we (as fans) feel for the poor guy, who probably feels betrayed to this day. It is very likely that he had listened to those albums maybe thousands of times, learned every one of Neil's lyrics, and did not see what he was doing as wrong. Almost certainly, that one fan would not have had any knowledge of any other fan trying to get Neil's autograph- a point that Neil seemed to be oblivious about. Who knows how that affected his psyche or what resentments he holds today.

What is clear is that Neil wanted to do his art and then be left alone. While harsh, these stories demonstrate that Neil was driven by purely artistic impulses as opposed to the desire for fame.

Neil is a genius, but he is not a saint.

Edited by Animate

Yep. I agree. The boys were not saints, they undoubtedly did stuff that if dissected in the public eye would make them look worse for the wear. But, it really can not have been all that much, in comparison to their contemporaries.

If it bothers someone that Rush were not, In the End, perfect, here is an appropriate direct quote from Neil, page 153 of Traveling Music.

"In a world so desperate for heroes that we have to invent them, buying and selling super-humans made from the common clay of actors, athletes, or artists, then turning on them when they betray us by being, as old Fred Nietzsche put it, "human, all too human," maybe the role models we really need are found all around us, right in our own neighborhoods. Not some remote model of perfection which exists only as a fantasy, frustratingly unattainable, but everyday people who actually show us, by example, a way to behave that we can see is good, and sometimes even people who can show us what it is to be excellent."

Edited by Animate