Rank the Rush Albums

pdurbin22

^^^^ Your top 8 is excellent with only one exception. Just my opinion of course...

Yeah, A Farewell To Kings might not belong.

Guess so...
  • Like 1

I will do this when the time is right. As a newcomer, I will probably introduce myself officially first, so this will have to wait. Still, I think ranking your favourite band's albums is like ranking your children. I love them all, naturally for the different reasons, but anyway. And Rush albums as well.

Welcome to the forum !!

1. Hemispheres - The height of the conceptual period. The songs are strong, and the playing is unmatched.

2. 2112 - One of the greatest songs every, complimented by 5 very good to amazing songs.

3. Caress of Steel - A critical and commercial failure, this album holds a special place in my heart. With one foot in the past, the band rocked out with two great songs. With one foot in the future they try the dark and beautifully ambitious Necromancer and Fountain.

4. Moving Pictures - Hit after hit after hit. Red Barchetta is like a little movie, and I'll never get tired of that song.

5. Fly By Night - Early and raw, with light and shade. Hints of brilliance to come in other fields, while mastering the hard rock/metal genre.

6. Clockwork Angels - Power and beauty. No album rocks much harder, and no album has more beautiful songs.

7. Farewell to Kings - Great songs, great subtlety, great lyrics. Only Cygnus X-1, the band's worst (but still ok) concept song drags this album down to #7.

8. Permanent Waves - A great and ambitious new start for the band, Natural Science and Jacob's Ladder aren't the band's best work, but they are still good.

9. Roll the Bones - After 3 disappointing albums (and many would argue 5), RTB corrects the mistakes of Presto, adding better songs to go with the return to guitar sound.

10. Signals - For many, the start of a period of decline for the band. The album only has one weak song, though, even if it only had a couple of great ones.

11. Test for Echo - Correcting the embarrassing mistakes of Counterparts, this album sees Rush back in fine form with a focus on good songs.

12. Vapor Trails - Bad production can't hide very good songs. The album is weighed down by a lack of variety and excessive length, and that the album's worst two songs were released as the signals and played live. Rush never rocked harder than this.

13. Rush - The original still kicks much ass, giving a glimpse at the power of the band. In retrospect, you can see the skill and diversity that would become Rush staples, but at the time, it's impossible to think the band would be where it was a mere two years later.

14. Grace Under Pressure - The band retains some of the power of its earlier days, though layers in interesting themes and a ton of synths.

15. Snakes & Arrows - 4 great songs, including the best song of the 2000's, can't wipe away the fact that the band was mired in mid-tempo trudges that went nowhere. Still, the clean sound, good lyrics, and inarguable highs make this an album worth enjoying.

16. Power Windows - 4 amazing songs and 2 good ones and two not so good ones. The first album where not great songs equal the great ones.

17. Hold Your Fire - Much maligned, this album was more ambitious than it seems. The band stretches to new themes, sometimes succeeding, but often with just ok results.

18. Presto - A commercial low-point for the band, in their first effort to shed the synths the band had lost the focus on song writing.

19. Counterparts - An almost embarrassing effort by the band. Rush's return to a harder, grunge sound completely forgot to bring the songs and lyrics. With only one great song, and very few very good ones, there's not much to like here other than a return of the hard guitars, a fact that obscures objective evaluation of this album by the hard core fans. The lyrics show why Peart doesn't tackle love.

I think my list would look quite different today.

OK, three years later time for a mulligan:

1. Caress of Steel

2. Hemispheres

3. 2112

4. Moving Pictures

5. Clockwork Angels

6. Permanent Waves

7. Fly By Night

8. A Farewell to Kings

9. Test for Echo

10. Roll the Bones

11. Vapor Trails

12. Rush

13. Grace Under Pressure

14. Hold Your Fire

15. Signals

16. Presto

17. Power Windows

18. Snakes & Arrows

19. Counterparts

Love "Caress Of Steel" as the number one !

Welcome. :cheers: You "love" all Rush albums? Just curious... :)

Thank you. Well, I do love them all in a way, aren't they all parts of a bigger picture? Some have their faults and disabilities, but so do we and nobody's perfect and and... I wouldn't want any Rush album to be deleted off the face of the earth, there is room for all of them!

Welcome to the forum !!

Thanks, merci, vielen dank, tack, gracias, kiitos!

1. Fly By Night, Caress Of Steel, 2112, A Farewell To Kings, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, Signals, Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows, Hold Your Fire, Presto, Roll The Bones, Counterparts, Test For Echo, Vapor Trails, Snakes & Arrows and Clockwork Angels.

2. RUSH (because there is no Neil on it. Not as good drums and not as good lyrics) and Feedback (because it´s a cover album)

So Test for Echo is equal to Moving Pictures? I think all saying that does is take away from the greatness that is Moving Pictures.

It's more like MP than the synth era, to be sure.

I guess. Minus the really great songs of course.

• Like 1

1. Hemispheres - The height of the conceptual period. The songs are strong, and the playing is unmatched.

2. 2112 - One of the greatest songs every, complimented by 5 very good to amazing songs.

3. Caress of Steel - A critical and commercial failure, this album holds a special place in my heart. With one foot in the past, the band rocked out with two great songs. With one foot in the future they try the dark and beautifully ambitious Necromancer and Fountain.

4. Moving Pictures - Hit after hit after hit. Red Barchetta is like a little movie, and I'll never get tired of that song.

5. Fly By Night - Early and raw, with light and shade. Hints of brilliance to come in other fields, while mastering the hard rock/metal genre.

6. Clockwork Angels - Power and beauty. No album rocks much harder, and no album has more beautiful songs.

7. Farewell to Kings - Great songs, great subtlety, great lyrics. Only Cygnus X-1, the band's worst (but still ok) concept song drags this album down to #7.

8. Permanent Waves - A great and ambitious new start for the band, Natural Science and Jacob's Ladder aren't the band's best work, but they are still good.

9. Roll the Bones - After 3 disappointing albums (and many would argue 5), RTB corrects the mistakes of Presto, adding better songs to go with the return to guitar sound.

10. Signals - For many, the start of a period of decline for the band. The album only has one weak song, though, even if it only had a couple of great ones.

11. Test for Echo - Correcting the embarrassing mistakes of Counterparts, this album sees Rush back in fine form with a focus on good songs.

12. Vapor Trails - Bad production can't hide very good songs. The album is weighed down by a lack of variety and excessive length, and that the album's worst two songs were released as the signals and played live. Rush never rocked harder than this.

13. Rush - The original still kicks much ass, giving a glimpse at the power of the band. In retrospect, you can see the skill and diversity that would become Rush staples, but at the time, it's impossible to think the band would be where it was a mere two years later.

14. Grace Under Pressure - The band retains some of the power of its earlier days, though layers in interesting themes and a ton of synths.

15. Snakes & Arrows - 4 great songs, including the best song of the 2000's, can't wipe away the fact that the band was mired in mid-tempo trudges that went nowhere. Still, the clean sound, good lyrics, and inarguable highs make this an album worth enjoying.

16. Power Windows - 4 amazing songs and 2 good ones and two not so good ones. The first album where not great songs equal the great ones.

17. Hold Your Fire - Much maligned, this album was more ambitious than it seems. The band stretches to new themes, sometimes succeeding, but often with just ok results.

18. Presto - A commercial low-point for the band, in their first effort to shed the synths the band had lost the focus on song writing.

19. Counterparts - An almost embarrassing effort by the band. Rush's return to a harder, grunge sound completely forgot to bring the songs and lyrics. With only one great song, and very few very good ones, there's not much to like here other than a return of the hard guitars, a fact that obscures objective evaluation of this album by the hard core fans. The lyrics show why Peart doesn't tackle love.

1. Caress of Steel

2. Hemispheres

3. 2112

4. Moving Pictures

5. Clockwork Angels

6. Permanent Waves

7. Fly By Night

8. A Farewell to Kings

9. Test for Echo

10. Roll the Bones

11. Vapor Trails

12. Rush

13. Grace Under Pressure

14. Hold Your Fire

15. Signals

16. Presto

17. Power Windows

18. Snakes & Arrows

19. Counterparts

Unfortunately, you played your mulligan and placed Caress of Steel first. That's like slicing your tee shot into the woods, teeing up another ball, and tapping it off the tee two feet. Now you have to play that one. With T4E and C of S both in your top 10. Yikes.

OK, I will give this a go. It seems some of you take this very seriously, but please, if my opinions are wrong don't shoot me right away. I'm a very strange person overall, this is only one way to prove it.

The list is obviously not my final say, it may and will change in time. It's MY opinion, and I can change it if I wish. Today I feel like this.

1. A Farewell To Kings

Right now this feels the closest. I like the overall atmosphere, the playing on the album, the songs are superb... Can't find anything bad from it.

2. Moving Pictures

What can I say that hasn't been said already? Nothing even a bit less than perfect here.

3. Permanent Waves

I keep repeating myself, but here's another album that is simply flawless.

4. 2112

This one has grown on me. There was a time when it would have hardly made the top 10, but repeated listens have helped it all the way up here.

5. Grace Under Pressure

A special one for me, because it was my first Rush record, but I'd love it just as much anyway. Stands out somehow, it has certain feel of threat and danger.

6. Signals

Not every song here is great, but this was a bold move, and Subdivisions is truly one of Rush masterpieces.

7. Hemispheres

AFTK part 2, in a way. Not as good, but for example La Villa Strangiato knocks me down still every time I hear it.

8. Clockwork Angels

What other band is capable of this kind of creativity after a 40 year career? Most bands that age keep repeating the old stuff, but Rush wants to create new masterpieces. And that's exactly what they did here.

9. Caress Of Steel

Just listened to this yesterday, might be a little lower if I didn't. Bastille Day rocks and the longer compositions stand out as statements of courage.

10. Counterparts

This one appeals to the Rocker in me. Animate, one of their best opening songs. Cold Fire, I love that one. Very well produced in my opinion.

11. Fly By Night

An early classic. Some ideas are a bit... well, immature, but a great effort anyway for young dudes just learning to play together at the time.

12. Roll The Bones

Dreamline, Bravado, Ghost Of A Chance. Those three are killers, and I like the title track also (though rap is absolutely not my cup of tea in general).

13. Hold Your Fire

It's damn difficult to rank these mid-80's albums... This has somehow a warmer, more accessible sound than PoW, so this time it's the "winner".

14. Power Windows

See above. Perhaps a bit too much a product of its time, the sound annoys me a bit occasionally. Good tunes, though.

15. Rush

The best album Led Zeppelin never recorded! I like this a lot, I listen to it often when I'm drunk and sing along.

16. Snakes & Arrows

I think this one would be more appreciated, if it was 2-3 songs shorter. The best ones in here are great, though.

17. Vapor Trails

A lot better now after the remix. This one rocks like hell as well, but only a few classics in my opinion (One Little Victory, Ghost Rider, perhaps a couple more).

18. Presto

The Pass is beautiful, but the overall sound of the album is disappointing. Sounds more like a demo tape than a real album.

19. Test For Echo

I hear only a little bit of inspiration here. Also Peart's worst lyrics come from this one. BUT, I must add, that although I think this is Rush's least great studio album, it would be the best album of almost any other band!

Feedback

Well played versions of good songs, but I don't rate this for obvious reasons.

OK. Waiting for the rotten tomatoes.

• Like 1

Top Ten are simple:

Rush

Fly By Night

Caress of Steel

Farewell to Kings

Hemi

Permanent Waves

MP

Signals

Grace Under Pressure

:)

Nicely played. Simple. Throw ATWAS in and its all one needs really... :cheers:
  • Like 1

Okay, today it's:

T1. Moving Pictures

T1. Permanent Waves

T3. Clockwork Angels

T3. Vapor Trails

5. 2112

6. Counterparts

7. Power Windows

8. Hold Your Fire

9. Grace Under Pressure

10. Signals

11. Roll the Bones

12. Hemispheres

13. A Farewell to Kings

14. Roll the Bones

15. Presto

16. Snakes & Arrows

17. Fly By Night

18. Rush

19. PoS

1. Caress of Steel

2. Hemispheres

3. 2112

4. Moving Pictures

5. Clockwork Angels

6. Permanent Waves

7. Fly By Night

8. A Farewell to Kings

9. Test for Echo

10. Roll the Bones

11. Vapor Trails

12. Rush

13. Grace Under Pressure

14. Hold Your Fire

15. Signals

16. Presto

17. Power Windows

18. Snakes & Arrows

19. Counterparts

Unfortunately, you played your mulligan and placed Caress of Steel first. That's like slicing your tee shot into the woods, teeing up another ball, and tapping it off the tee two feet. Now you have to play that one. With T4E and C of S both in your top 10. Yikes.

You love Power Windows, Signals and GuP....I'm pretty sure I don't need your musical advice.

Edited by LedRush
  • Like 1

Okay, today it's:

T1. Moving Pictures

T1. Permanent Waves

T3. Clockwork Angels

T3. Vapor Trails

5. 2112

6. Counterparts

7. Power Windows

8. Hold Your Fire

9. Grace Under Pressure

10. Signals

11. Roll the Bones

12. Hemispheres

13. A Farewell to Kings

14. Roll the Bones

15. Presto

16. Snakes & Arrows

17. Fly By Night

18. Rush

19. PoS

You listed Counterparts twice...once under the given name and once with the acronym for piece of shit.

• Like 4

I guess we gotta do this every do often

1. Hemispheres

2. Permanent Waves

3. Power Windows

4. Signals

5. Caress of Steel

6. Presto

7. Hold your Fire

8. Moving Pictures

9. Snakes

10. 2112

Then it get to the lower tier albums. which i now realize you could actually just throw em em in any order.

Roll the bones

Farewell to Kings

Rush

Fly by Night

Grace Under Pressure

Counterparts

Test for Echo

Clockwork Angels

Vapor Trails

I can't really rank that bunch honestly.

Mick

Well my top 5 is different now

1. Hemispheres

2. HYF

3. Waves

4. PoW

5. Signals.

From There.

6. COS

7. Presto

8. MP

9. Snakes

10. AFTK (Don't et excited......just for Xanadu.

11. 2112

Then the rest are all interchangeable from 12 on.

So this group.

p/g

RTB

CP

T4E

VT

CA

Rush

FBN

Mick

1. A Farewell To Kings **********

2. Permanent Waves

2.5. Moving Pictures

2.75. Signals

3. 2112

4. Clockwork Angels

5. Power Windows

6. Caress Of Steel

7. Hemispheres

8. Vapor Trails

9. Grace Under Pressure

10. Presto

11. Hold Your Fire

12.Test For Echo

13. Fly By Night

14. Rush

15. Counterparts

16. Roll The Bones

Still undecided on Snakes and Arrows, however I only recently decided Vapor Trails totally beat out (almost) half of the catalogue (after only one listen!).

• Like 1

Okay, today it's:

T1. Moving Pictures

T1. Permanent Waves

T3. Clockwork Angels

T3. Vapor Trails

5. 2112

6. Counterparts

7. Power Windows

8. Hold Your Fire

9. Grace Under Pressure

10. Signals

11. Roll the Bones

12. Hemispheres

13. A Farewell to Kings

14. Roll the Bones

15. Presto

16. Snakes & Arrows

17. Fly By Night

18. Rush

19. PoS

You listed Counterparts twice...once under the given name and once with the acronym for piece of shit.

:syrinx: :rfl: Good1. Subtle but funny as hell...
  • Like 2

1. A Farewell To Kings **********

2. Permanent Waves

2.5. Moving Pictures

2.75. Signals

3. 2112

4. Clockwork Angels

5. Power Windows

6. Caress Of Steel

7. Hemispheres

8. Vapor Trails

9. Grace Under Pressure

10. Presto

11. Hold Your Fire

12.Test For Echo

13. Fly By Night

14. Rush

15. Counterparts

16. Roll The Bones

Still undecided on Snakes and Arrows, however I only recently decided Vapor Trails totally beat out (almost) half of the catalogue (after only one listen!).

Vapor Trails when I am in the mood is my favourite. One of my holy four Rush albums!

• Like 1

Okay, today it's:

T1. Moving Pictures

T1. Permanent Waves

T3. Clockwork Angels

T3. Vapor Trails

5. 2112

6. Counterparts

7. Power Windows

8. Hold Your Fire

9. Grace Under Pressure

10. Signals

11. Roll the Bones

12. Hemispheres

13. A Farewell to Kings

14. Roll the Bones

15. Presto

16. Snakes & Arrows

17. Fly By Night

18. Rush

19. PoS

:LOL: :laughing guy: Okay, that was funny.

Edited by Disk98
  • Like 1

Updated for my current tastes in RUSH:

Snakes and Arrows - Best song: Bravest Face. Worst song: The Main Monkey Business.

Signals - Stellar album all around. I absolutely love it. Best song: Countdown. Weakest song: New World Man.

Permanent Waves - Best song: Natural Science. Weakest song: Different Strings

Moving Pictures - Best song: The Camera Eye or Limelight. Weakest song: Vital Signs.

A Farewell to Kings - Best song: Xanadu. Worst song: Madrigal.

Hold Your Fire - Best song: Force Ten or Lock and Key. Worst song: Tai Shan.

Counterparts - Best song: Between Sun and Moon. Worst song: Alien Shore.

Clockwork Angels - Best song: The Anarchist or Headlong Flight. Weakest song: BU2B2

Hemispheres - Best song: La Villa Strangiato. Weakest song: The Trees.

Grace Under Pressure - Best song: Kid Gloves. Worst song: Red Lenses.

Power Windows - Best song: Marathon. Worst song: Emotion Detector.

2112 - Best song: 2112: Worst song: Tears.

RUSH - Bests song: What You're Doing. Weakest song: Take a Friend

Fly By Night - Best song: Beneath, Between, and Behind. Worst song: Rivendell.

Test For Echo - Best song: Test for Echo. Worst song: Dog Years.

Roll The Bones - Best song: Dreamline. Worst song: Heresy.

Caress of Steel - Best song: Bastille Day. Worst song: The Fountain of Lamneth.

Presto - Best song: Hand Over Fist. Worst song: Available Light.

Vapor Trails - Best song: Vapor Trail. Worst song: Almost everything else on the album.

Heck, I'l throw in live albums:

Snakes and Arrows Live - Best performance: Mission. Worst performance: Freewill.

R30 - Best performance: Force Ten. Worst performance: Animate.

Rush in RIo - Best performance: Between Sun & Moon. Worst performance: By-Tor.

Exit...Stage Left - Best performance: Jacob's Ladder or Xanadu. Worst performance: IDK.

Grace Under Pressure Tour: Best performance: The Fear Trilogy. Worst performance: New World Man

All The World's A Stage - Best performance: Working Man. Worst performance: By-Tor.

Different Stages - Best performance: 2112. Worst performance: Show Don't Tell.

Time Machine Tour: Live in Cleveland - Best performance: The Camera Eye. Worst performance: Vital Signs.

Clockwork Angels Tour - Best performance: Red Sector A. Worst performance: Territories.

A Show of Hands - Best performance: Turn The Page. Worst performance: Mission.

Updated for my current tastes in RUSH:

Snakes and Arrows - Best song: Bravest Face. Worst song: The Main Monkey Business.

Signals - Stellar album all around. I absolutely love it. Best song: Countdown. Weakest song: New World Man.

Permanent Waves - Best song: Natural Science. Weakest song: Different Strings

Moving Pictures - Best song: The Camera Eye or Limelight. Weakest song: Vital Signs.

A Farewell to Kings - Best song: Xanadu. Worst song: Madrigal.

Hold Your Fire - Best song: Force Ten or Lock and Key. Worst song: Tai Shan.

Counterparts - Best song: Between Sun and Moon. Worst song: Alien Shore.

Clockwork Angels - Best song: The Anarchist or Headlong Flight. Weakest song: BU2B2

Hemispheres - Best song: La Villa Strangiato. Weakest song: The Trees.

Grace Under Pressure - Best song: Kid Gloves. Worst song: Red Lenses.

Power Windows - Best song: Marathon. Worst song: Emotion Detector.

2112 - Best song: 2112: Worst song: Tears.

RUSH - Bests song: What You're Doing. Weakest song: Take a Friend

Fly By Night - Best song: Beneath, Between, and Behind. Worst song: Rivendell.

Test For Echo - Best song: Test for Echo. Worst song: Dog Years.

Roll The Bones - Best song: Dreamline. Worst song: Heresy.

Caress of Steel - Best song: Bastille Day. Worst song: The Fountain of Lamneth.

Presto - Best song: Hand Over Fist. Worst song: Available Light.

Vapor Trails - Best song: Vapor Trail. Worst song: Almost everything else on the album.

Heck, I'l throw in live albums:

Snakes and Arrows Live - Best performance: Mission. Worst performance: Freewill.

R30 - Best performance: Force Ten. Worst performance: Animate.

Rush in RIo - Best performance: Between Sun & Moon. Worst performance: By-Tor.

Exit...Stage Left - Best performance: Jacob's Ladder or Xanadu. Worst performance: IDK.

Grace Under Pressure Tour: Best performance: The Fear Trilogy. Worst performance: New World Man

All The World's A Stage - Best performance: Working Man. Worst performance: By-Tor.

Different Stages - Best performance: 2112. Worst performance: Show Don't Tell.

Time Machine Tour: Live in Cleveland - Best performance: The Camera Eye. Worst performance: Vital Signs.

Clockwork Angels Tour - Best performance: Red Sector A. Worst performance: Territories.

A Show of Hands - Best performance: Turn The Page. Worst performance: Mission.

I can't tell if this list works better from worst to best or best to worst...probably the former.

1. AFTK : best Xanadu, worst Madrigal

2. Permanent Waves: best The Spirit of Radio, worst Entre Nous

3. Moving Pictures: best Red Barchetta, worst Vital Signs

4. Hemispheres: best La Villa, worst Circumstances

5. Signals: best Subdivisions, worst Countdown

6. 2112: best 2112, worst Tears

7. Caress Of Steel: best The Necromancer, worst The Fountain of Lamneth

8. Clockwork Angels: best The Garden, worst Seven Cities of Shite

9. Fly By Night: best Bytor, worst Rivendell

10. Rush: best Working Man, worst Take A Friend

Can't be arsed after that...

Poser. You basically went with 74-82 and then CA. You're clearly not a real fan. Real fans like obscure stuff. They'll tell you.

• Like 1

Poser. You basically went with 74-82 and then CA. You're clearly not a real fan. Real fans like obscure stuff. They'll tell you.

Anyone whose taste is different to my own is wrong. Simple. I've named Classic Rush and chucked in something new though I've never heard any of the albums post Signals apart from live shows.

• Like 1

Anyone whose taste is different to my own is wrong. Simple. I've named Classic Rush and chucked in something new though I've never heard any of the albums post Signals apart from live shows.

What?! Wrong?! Don't you know that taste in music is subjective? Don't you grasp that saying you disagree with someone's opinion is tantamount to calling them a [expletive omitted]?

I'd express more outrage, but I'm off to listen to Black Sabbath's masterpiece, Forbidden. I'm soooo into them.

• Like 1

Updated ranking for me:

1. Permanent Waves

2. Moving Pictures

3. A Farewell to Kings

4. Signals

5. Clockwork Angels

6. Grace Under Pressure

7. Caress of Steel

8. Power Windows

9. Hold Your Fire

10. Hemispheres