Family Trees

Principled Man

So far, I've traced my paternal grandmother's family back to the late 1600's.... ohmy.gif ohmy.gif That is TEN generations.....!! I've found my great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandfather - Giuseppe Zappa, born in 1670.

It looks like I am 50% Italian, and 50% Bavarian/English/Irish mix....which means I can drink just about ANYTHING.... trink38.gif trink38.gif

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am related to the Hatfeild family. I also am related to the man who played Dr. Loomis in the Halloween movies. I also have a relation to (could be inlaw, I need to speak to my grandmother about this) President John Adams, President John Quincy Adams, and Samuel Adams.

Yeah, I followed my Mom's side both paternal and maternal and it turns out I have lots of UK blood: Irish, English, Welsh, Scottish. That explains my love of all things British wink.gif

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Jul 9 2012, 11:11 PM)
So far, I've traced my paternal grandmother's family back to the late 1600's.... ohmy.gif ohmy.gif That is TEN generations.....!! I've found my great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandfather - Giuseppe Zappa, born in 1670.

It looks like I am 50% Italian, and 50% Bavarian/English/Irish mix....which means I can drink just about ANYTHING.... trink38.gif trink38.gif

So you could be related to Frank?

QUOTE (OGr8imL84AD8inF8sBlackSedan @ Jul 10 2012, 05:04 AM)
QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Jul 9 2012, 11:11 PM)
So far, I've traced my paternal grandmother's family back to the late 1600's.... ohmy.gif  ohmy.gif  That is TEN generations.....!!  I've found my great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandfather - Giuseppe Zappa, born in 1670. 

It looks like I am 50% Italian, and 50% Bavarian/English/Irish mix....which means I can drink just about ANYTHING.... trink38.gif  trink38.gif

So you could be related to Frank?

Frank's father, Francesco Vincenzo Zappa, came from Sicily, whereas my Zappa family came from central Italy, east of Rome. We may be very, very distant cousins, but I haven't found a link yet.....probably never will! confused13.gif

I have a close friend who did a project through his church, and they used my family for the project. He took some of it back quite a ways, and confirmed what we know. There are a lot of Germans in my family. smile.gif

It was really cool to see it when he sent us what they found.

I've never understood the interest myself. Who cares if my great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandfather was a viking warrior who swept all before him?

confused13.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 10 2012, 10:24 AM)
I've never understood the interest myself. Who cares if my great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandfather was a viking warrior who swept all before him?

confused13.gif

I was actually going to say the same kind of thing.

It's cool to learn about one's heritage... But no one should really think more of themselves or anyone else based on their ancestors.

QUOTE (Mr. IsNot @ Jul 10 2012, 12:46 PM)

confused13.gif

It's cool to learn about one's heritage... But no one should really think more of themselves or anyone else based on their ancestors.

I totally agree. Family trees should never be used to claim "nobility" or superiority. Geneology is a fascinating and entertaining hobby, but nothing more.

I would love to visit the lands of my ancestors, especially in England and Ireland. I hear the ale is pretty good over there..... wink.gif

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jul 10 2012, 12:22 PM)
I have a close friend who did a project through his church, and they used my family for the project. He took some of it back quite a ways, and confirmed what we know. There are a lot of Germans in my family. smile.gif

That's pretty cool.

QUOTE (Mr. IsNot @ Jul 10 2012, 10:46 AM)

confused13.gif

Well, no. But it is interesting to see where you came from. I bet many of us can find some royalty or such if we go in the right direction. So what? It's not like we could claim the throne or something! laugh.gif

It's just nice to know one's roots. That's all. Some of us think so, anyway. confused13.gif

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jul 10 2012, 06:33 PM)
QUOTE (Mr. IsNot @ Jul 10 2012, 10:46 AM)

confused13.gif

Well, no. But it is interesting to see where you came from. I bet many of us can find some royalty or such if we go in the right direction. So what? It's not like we could claim the throne or something! laugh.gif

It's just nice to know one's roots. That's all. Some of us think so, anyway. confused13.gif

The roots of your human body but your body is not you.

cool10.gif

I, too, have a lot of UK ancestry. On my mother's father's side, the Proctors, I have an ancestor who was part of the Salem witch trials of 1692. In part of that same lineup, my ancestors settled in the Jamestown colony, so my English blood goes that far back as far coming to the US.

I am related to Ava Gardner, actress in the 1950s until the 1980s, on my mother's mother's side.

There may be some French and Greek in my family as well.

QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Jul 10 2012, 03:15 PM)
QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jul 10 2012, 12:22 PM)
I have a close friend who did a project through his church, and they used my family for the project.  He took some of it back quite a ways, and confirmed what we know.  There are a lot of Germans in my family.  smile.gif

That's pretty cool.

I thought you might have some interest in that story. laugh.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 10 2012, 11:24 AM)

confused13.gif

You're just afraid that you'd find out you were related to Roger Goodell.

QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ Jul 10 2012, 07:14 PM)

confused13.gif

I think you ARE him!

ohmy.gif

Roger?? unsure.gif My long lost grandfather aged 92? huh.gif Is that you? wacko.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 10 2012, 06:18 PM)
QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ Jul 10 2012, 07:14 PM)

confused13.gif

I think you ARE him!

ohmy.gif

Roger?? unsure.gif My long lost grandfather aged 92? huh.gif Is that you? wacko.gif

Nope, not him.

If you think I was him, would I have ever said the words "With the eighth pick in the 2012 NFL draft, the Miami Dolphins select Ryan Tannehill, quarterback, Texas A&M"?

no.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 11 2012, 02:24 AM)

confused13.gif

Some people like to brag. Some are just curious.

For whatever reason it always seemed to me that we yanks are more interested in this than most other nationalities. There've been countless times that I've heard Americans say that they're one-half [insert European nationality here], one-fourth [insert Native American tribe here], one-eighth this or that, and a little bit of tit for tat. All that and a bag of chips but they rarely meet their grandparents or first cousins. It's somewhat laughable.

Truth is, we're all related....and treeduck's the wild, mutant 2nd cousin that we keep a secret. wink.gif trink38.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 11 2012, 03:49 AM)

confused13.gif

For whatever reason it always seemed to me that we yanks are more interested in this than most other nationalities. There've been countless times that I've heard Americans say that they're one-half [insert European nationality here], one-fourth [insert Native American tribe here], one-eighth this or that, and a little bit of tit for tat. All that and a bag of chips but they rarely meet their grandparents or first cousins. It's somewhat laughable.

Truth is, we're all related....and treeduck's the wild, mutant 2nd cousin that we keep a secret. wink.gif trink38.gif

Yeah I'm more curious. I hated John Adams

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 11 2012, 12:49 AM)

confused13.gif

I KNEW it!!! unsure.gif

Well, we Yanks are transplants and, unless one is Native American (which I am on my Dad's side -so Get off my lawn, dammit!), we have no real roots here. So we search for them in other countries. It's just human nature. confused13.gif

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jul 11 2012, 04:52 PM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 11 2012, 12:49 AM)

confused13.gif

I KNEW it!!! unsure.gif

Well, we Yanks are transplants and, unless one is Native American (which I am on my Dad's side -so Get off my lawn, dammit!), we have no real roots here. So we search for them in other countries. It's just human nature. confused13.gif

Not so sure about that human nature part. For example, I don't know one Aussie (and there are heaps in these parts) that has ever told me about his/her European roots. But yanks on the other hand,.... (see my above post again). Just sayin'

I find it fascinating to a fault. I used to work with an Irish guy (meaning he was born and raised in Ireland, has the accent, etc...) who thought it was silly that so many Americans claim to be Irish at all. He's thinking is that unless you were born and raised in Ireland by two Irish parents, you are not Irish.

I see his point as well. And of all the possible ancestry that Americans have, it's those with Irish ancestors that seem to flaunt their "Irishness" (or their version of it).

I am fascinated with genealogy. My family had been researching for years and came across a distant relative who spent her life (no joke) on researching my maternal family lineage. So much so that she was able to publish a book. It's huge and in my possession now. I spent a long time going through the book and mapping everything out. I used Excel to create a family tree. When I mapped everything out, the tree was enormous. So much so that I had to cut over half off just to print the document out on a 24x36 sheet of poster print which is now framed and in the upstairs hallway, along with antique family portraits.

The earliest individual that I kept (without having to cut off to make room in order to print the doc out) is an individual born in 1162.