Striking Down Like a Bolt From the Blue!

Jmo2112

Someone has probably already mentioned this line from The Wreckers but it's really been grabbing me lately. I'm guessing that the memory that can be "too much to carry" relates to the profound losses Neil has experienced. Hearing Geddy belt these lines out gives me chills as it sounds like he's voicing catharsis for and real empathy with Neil.

Absolutely! I've been through some of what Neil experienced; I lost my wife unexpectedly back in 2007 and I can safely say that lyric, and in fact the entire song, is seriously gut wrenching. But anyone can relate to the song's message in their own way. And the music fits perfectly I might add.

Another chilling moment for me is "in the teeth of an icy grave" and "washed away in the pounding waves"... the tension building in the music between these lines has an incredibly powerful and haunting feel to it. I tell people that if they don't get goosebumps from that, then they must not have a pulse!

2.gif

Wow I never realized how powerful that line was until this thread. Just whoa man.

I was to be married on June 8th, 2012.

January of 2012, when I returned home from one of my highest highs (US Army All-American game, which my kid was playing in)

my fiance' (who was 10 years younger and a national level Figure Competitior... bodybuilder like in Oxygen Magazine)

told me that she wanted to turn Pro/compete again and that a family would have to wait.

I'm 40...when I met her she told me she was done with it (anyone who knows the biz knows they look "healthy' but are starving and living on chemicals to get down to @ 7% bodyfat for a female). its an unhealthy horrible life. I didn't want her to go through it again.

Talk about a bolt from the blue!!

I thought by now we would be starting a family, and instead I'm single and starting over. These lyrics are like a bolt straight to my heart.

i get it, unfortunately.

anyone who lives long enough will have an experience like this...

its a messed up world my friends. we all gotta deal w/ it...

QUOTE (third hand grace @ Jul 4 2012, 02:03 PM)
I was to be married on June 8th, 2012.
January of 2012, when I returned home from one of my highest highs (US Army All-American game, which my kid was playing in)

my fiance' (who was 10 years younger and a national level Figure Competitior... bodybuilder like in Oxygen Magazine)

told me that she wanted to turn Pro/compete again and that a family would have to wait.

I'm 40...when I met her she told me she was done with it (anyone who knows the biz knows they look "healthy' but are starving and living on chemicals to get down to @ 7% bodyfat for a female). its an unhealthy horrible life. I didn't want her to go through it again.

Talk about a bolt from the blue!!
I thought by now we would be starting a family, and instead I'm single and starting over. These lyrics are like a bolt straight to my heart.

i get it, unfortunately.
anyone who lives long enough will have an experience like this...
its a messed up world my friends. we all gotta deal w/ it...

Aw, that's a sad story. And while those Oxygen women look amazing, at the same time, it seems a little more meat on their bones wouldn't go amiss. Why the competitive need to be a bag of muscle and bone? Strong and healthy is the sexiest thing there is. Period. (Physically speaking here, of course!)

And that line from 'The Wreckers' - I do get a bit goosebumpy when I hear it, and I hadn't even considered it relating to Neil's life. That thought has given it more dimension now.

Different song, but I find that "A missing part of me that grows around me like a cage" is really hitting me lately. I love what Neil comes up with his lyrics! I struggle to understand how some people (reviewers, mostly) condemn his lyrics as 'pithy' or 'pretentious'. I think he's one of the best lyricists in the music world, and if nothing else, I respect how much effort he puts into them.

Its an awesome lyric, one of my all time favourites.

But with The Wreckers its the "All I know is that sometimes you have to be wary..."etc lyrics that stand out with me also...

Definitely a CA highlight - I love the whole ending - the last lyrics, then there's a great guitar vibrato snuck in there and then I also love the way the guitar solo fades out.

I love how he sings that "bolt from the blue" line, too. It's Geddy from the 80s again, and it has a power similar to the "flying out of the shockwave" line from "Manhattan Project."

I love the wreckers. It made so much more sense when I heard the historical explanation of where that came from. I also love how it parallels with Neil's own experiences. The line at the end just sums it all up so well. That song is a masterpiece.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jul 5 2012, 05:41 AM)
I love how he sings that "bolt from the blue" line, too. It's Geddy from the 80s again, and it has a power similar to the "flying out of the shockwave" line from "Manhattan Project."

Yup. Exactly what I was just going to post.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jul 5 2012, 11:41 AM)

yes.gif

QUOTE (Jmo2112 @ Jul 4 2012, 01:08 PM)
Someone has probably already mentioned this line from The Wreckers but it's really been grabbing me lately. I'm guessing that the memory that can be "too much to carry" relates to the profound losses Neil has experienced. Hearing Geddy belt these lines out gives me chills as it sounds like he's voicing catharsis for and real empathy with Neil.

Completely agree. Astounding.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jul 7 2012, 07:10 AM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jul 5 2012, 05:41 AM)
I love how he sings that "bolt from the blue" line, too.  It's Geddy from the 80s again, and it has a power similar to the "flying out of the shockwave" line from "Manhattan Project."

Yup. Exactly what I was just going to post.

trink39.gif

yes.gif

That's the perfect way to describe that line.

The Wreckers so far is my fav song on the album.Grabbed me on my first listen which is unusual because I need to hear the album a few times before I make any judgement on any song,but The Wreckers sucked me in like a whirlpool of a sinking ship! 1287.gif

I'm thinking that the The Wreckers is more retrospective, but I fear that it may be prophetic.

It certainly is emotionally engaging.

Edited by Weakly Criminal

QUOTE (dakota2112 @ Jul 4 2012, 11:13 AM)
Absolutely! I've been through some of what Neil experienced; I lost my wife unexpectedly back in 2007 and I can safely say that lyric, and in fact the entire song, is seriously gut wrenching. But anyone can relate to the song's message in their own way. And the music fits perfectly I might add.

Another chilling moment for me is "in the teeth of an icy grave" and "washed away in the pounding waves"... the tension building in the music between these lines has an incredibly powerful and haunting feel to it. I tell people that if they don't get goosebumps from that, then they must not have a pulse!

2.gif

yes.gif

To everything you wrote! The Wreckers is just a fantastic song and I get a chicken-skin every time I listen to it. The lyrics are cinematic and the music fits them perfectly. Stellar! wub.gif

QUOTE (Jmo2112 @ Jul 4 2012, 12:08 PM)
Striking Down Like a Bolt From the Blue!, Emotional Peak of CA

trink39.gif

This line has really been hitting me lately, too. And I agree about Geddy giving it something extra, perhaps in empathy to Neil.