Living Colour

Mr. Not

Close to nothing on these guys here... I'm surprised.

When I listen to this riff all I can think of is Dream Theater:

Yeah... These guys kick ass. Just listening to them makes my ass a bit sore. laugh.gif

I dig Living Colour also...although I kind of lost track of them after the "Stain" album. I get reminded about them all the time as "Cult of Personality" is CM Punk's enterence music (WWE wrestling).

I did like them when the first album came out, then i had the misfortune of meeting mr. Reid . Racist Fu*ktard he is

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 26 2012, 03:41 PM)
I did like them when the first album came out, then i had the misfortune of meeting mr. Reid . Racist Fu*ktard he is

Ya might want to expand on that if you're just going to throw that inflammatory stuff out there... confused13.gif

Cult of Personality, Type, and Leave It Alone are three of the most bad ass rock songs ever made. 1022.gif

I never knew they got back together. Can anyone comment on their newer stuff? confused13.gif

QUOTE (Rick N. Backer @ Jun 26 2012, 03:57 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 26 2012, 04:41 PM)

What happened?

In 1988 or 89 confused13.gif i was at the Waldorf Astora in n.y.c. for the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame ceremony . My band at the time and i went to the ceremoney about 3 years in a row , we went to promote our band and do the whole "You need to hear our music" thing, blah, blah biggrin.gif L.C. was already pretty big and i had seen Reid on t.v. talking about how he "Wants to Help" younger bands get of the ground . I thought it was a pretty cool thing to do since i/we were one of them . I am standing on the street and who comes walking past me ? Yep , i just walked up to him and said"Hey, i saw you on t.v. and i think it's great you want to help bands out" Would you take our tape and here is a flyer for our upcoming shows . He looked at the flyer, looked at me , did not take the tape and said "Sorry man, your the wrong color " have a nice night. I was in total shock . I see on m.t.v. about a month later him talking about "Helping bands get on their feet" He was calling it the "Black Rock Coalition " Can't listen to them after that

QUOTE (A rocket that ignites itself @ Jun 26 2012, 04:19 PM)

Ya might want to expand on that if you're just going to throw that inflammatory stuff out there... confused13.gif

I talked about here a few years ago . I just posted it above . Just so you know , i Don't talk out of my ass

Edited by metaldad

I really liked this band back in the early 90's, up through Stain. Time's Up is one of my favorite albums, ever.

And I honestly think that Vernon Reid caught a lot of flack for his style of play because of his skin color. He may not have been totally honest when he said every note he played was intended, or counted, and that he could reproduce the solos note for note live. But there were plenty of white guitarists who played similarly, and they didn't get grilled or criticized by their peers and columnists in guitar magazines.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 26 2012, 04:44 PM)

I talked about here a few years ago . I just posted it above . Just so you know , i Don't talk out of my ass

Fair enough. Thanks for the explanation.

I saw them in concert in College Park, MD. Vernon took to the mic after the first song and said that right now in America, there are white people who would rather be dead than see him be free.

That was a pretty big turn off.

QUOTE (A rocket that ignites itself @ Jun 26 2012, 05:08 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 26 2012, 04:44 PM)

Fair enough. Thanks for the explanation.

trink39.gif No prob. Sorry if that sounded a little harsh, when i think about it my blood boils

QUOTE (Maverick @ Jun 26 2012, 05:12 PM)

I saw them in concert in College Park, MD. Vernon took to the mic after the first song and said that right now in America, there are white people who would rather be dead than see him be free.

That was a pretty big turn off.

That's just wonderful

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jun 26 2012, 04:23 PM)
Cult of Personality, Type, and Leave It Alone are three of the most bad ass rock songs ever made. 1022.gif

I never knew they got back together. Can anyone comment on their newer stuff? confused13.gif

I haven't explored any of their newer material, but I seem to remember them on tv (Conan O'Brien?) back in Sept. 2009. I remember the time period because I was in the hospital at the time..loopy, and watching late night tv.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 26 2012, 02:42 PM)
QUOTE (Rick N. Backer @ Jun 26 2012, 03:57 PM)

What happened?

In 1988 or 89 confused13.gif i was at the Waldorf Astora in n.y.c. for the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame ceremony . My band at the time and i went to the ceremoney about 3 years in a row , we went to promote our band and do the whole "You need to hear our music" thing, blah, blah biggrin.gif L.C. was already pretty big and i had seen Reid on t.v. talking about how he "Wants to Help" younger bands get of the ground . I thought it was a pretty cool thing to do since i/we were one of them . I am standing on the street and who comes walking past me ? Yep , i just walked up to him and said"Hey, i saw you on t.v. and i think it's great you want to help bands out" Would you take our tape and here is a flyer for our upcoming shows . He looked at the flyer, looked at me , did not take the tape and said "Sorry man, your the wrong color " have a nice night. I was in total shock . I see on m.t.v. about a month later him talking about "Helping bands get on their feet" He was calling it the "Black Rock Coalition " Can't listen to them after that

Yikes.

I really have the same perspective as you. I won't listen to a band's music depending on their personality - it's a pretty big deal to me. I'll admit, Dragonforce's music for example is something I enjoy quite a bit... But ever since (2009) finding out the band is composed of dicks who are even more egotistical than I previously though (which seemed impossible), I can't listen to their music.

The association just kills it.