70s Rush vs. 80s Rush

The Vigilante

Clearly the 70s. As great as Moving Pictures is, it simply cannot beat the incredible lineup that's Caress of Steel, 2112, A Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres and Permanent Waves. And the synth albums just aren't quite on the same level to me. Certainly not HYF.

The eighties has Hold Your Fire, Grace Under Pressure and Moving Pictures.

The seventies has one album for me to rival them. AFTK.

So...80's for me.

I'm also not into listening to those shrill vocals.

• Like 1

So...80's for me.

80's vocals, easily for me.
  • Like 1

So...80's for me.

He still sounds like Geddy but he also sounds like he knows how best to use his voice. And he hits emotions with a depth that he didn't have before PeW.

• Like 2

So...80's for me.

He still sounds like Geddy but he also sounds like he knows how best to use his voice. And he hits emotions with a depth that he didn't have before PeW.

Yep.

80's.

i'm not much onn Rush ATM.......but all my memories of Rush enjoyment comes from the 80's stuff.

plus being honest Ged's vocals in the 70's...........very tough to swallow. and led to the yodeling Geddy we would eventually have.

Mick

I'll take the overlap since the transition between decades represents the best of Rush.

Personally, I think of the albums pre-All the World's a Stage as Rush's growing pains era, a band finding its footing and purpose. All the pre-ATWAS albums are pretty much half brilliant and half we don't give a shit, let's see what happens.

They were better songwriters in the 1980s. whether you think they're a better band or not is up to personal preference and opinion.

80's by a nose. Here's how I score it.

PeW - GUP are masterpieces. PoW is an amazing album. HYF is a turd. Presto is mediocre.

:rush: - It has some some moment of genius, but others that fall way short.

FBY - A little more consistent than the debut, but still has growing pains.

Caress of Steel - I need to be in the mood in order to listen to it.

2112 - Amazing album, but the back 9 are not very strong.

AFTK - A Madrigal short of a masterpiece

Hemispheres - Masterpiece.

'70s as MP is the only '80s album I really love. That's assuming PeW is a '70s album as it was recorded in the '70s? I don't know if anyone's considered that question before.
  • Like 2

70s by a mile for me and I would include all of it up through MP. After MPs they changed and became much more mainstream which to me has never been what they were the best at.
  • Like 1

^^ +1

For me, MP caps the '70s run; Signals is their first "'80s" album, just as '89's Presto is their first '90s album.

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 1

There was bond among fans in the early days - the 70s - and Rush ignited a magnetic combination of adolescent testosterone and anti establishment / non conformist beliefs ..

The 80s had good songs, good albums, but what I experienced in the 70s was a lifestyle, and an electricity from albums so unique that Rush was as polarizing as any band out there ..... Most hated them, but those that loved them, loved them dearly .. A lot that was because of Geddy's voice ..

Would I feel the same had I been born 10 years later ?? .. Of course not - by that time, Rush meant something very different ..

It is one thing to enjoy the older albums in hindsight, but when those were the only Rush albums, and everyone identified the band by the singer, it meant something special to be a Rush fan

• Like 1

There was bond among fans in the early days - the 70s - and Rush ignited a magnetic combination of adolescent testosterone and anti establishment / non conformist beliefs ..

The 80s had good songs, good albums, but what I experienced in the 70s was a lifestyle, and an electricity from albums so unique that Rush was as polarizing as any band out there ..... Most hated them, but those that loved them, loved them dearly .. A lot that was because of Geddy's voice ..

Would I feel the same had I been born 10 years later ?? .. Of course not - by that time, Rush meant something very different ..

It is one thing to enjoy the older albums in hindsight, but when those were the only Rush albums, and everyone identified the band by the singer, it meant something special to be a Rush fan

This happens with all bands though. Which is why it gets boring that the moment they hit the mainstream the "original" fans scream SELL OUTS because they no longer remain a secret.

I've felt this excitement with tonnes of bands and it's been bittersweet watching the old cool fans drop out the minute they have a single chart in the lower regions of the bottom 100.

• Like 1

This happens with all bands though. Which is why it gets boring that the moment they hit the mainstream the "original" fans scream SELL OUTS because they no longer remain a secret.

I've felt this excitement with tonnes of bands and it's been bittersweet watching the old cool fans drop out the minute they have a single chart in the lower regions of the bottom 100.

Contrary to most of my sarcasm here, there is good Rush in every album for me ... I never gave up, but the bond certainly wasn't the same during certain periods ..

But that is no slight of the quality of material - it is inevitable due to the impressionable age I was when I first heard them ..

Maybe it was that I was younger, but Rush just seemed more polarizing in the 70s .. Even the older kids who like The Who, Yes, ELP, etc were brutal when they found out I liked Rush ...

Rush was hated - and perhaps, that is another thing I found in common with them

• Like 2

Rush got the last laugh on all the haters. God bless 'em.

I guarantee that kid who was in 8th grade when I was in the 6th grade - the one with the "Yes" belt buckle who chided me to no end for liking Rush - I guarantee he likes Rush now, or at least came around at some point

At least he didn't constantly try to knock the books out of my hands like the *** **** Who fans though

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 2

80's for me in a landslide.

And yes Rush was really hated....but most of us in the rock musician crowd were banded together playing Rush tunes in our coffee houses and battle of bands shows through middle school and high school and our original material heavily influenced by the likes of Rush, Yes, Zeppelin etc. We were a small, but tight cult. It was great.

Edited by Todem

Rush got the last laugh on all the haters. God bless 'em.

I guarantee that kid who was in 8th grade when I was in the 6th grade - the one with the "Yes" belt buckle who chided me to no end for liking Rush - I guarantee he likes Rush now, or at least came around at some point

At least he didn't constantly try to knock the books out of my hands like the *** **** Who fans though

I remember being chided by this kid who was a religiously devoted Doors fan because keyboards lead Tom Sawyer's guitar solo -- the "do-do do-do do-do do-do" bit. I asked him what sense does it make for a Doors fan to criticize a band for using keyboards. He looked confused. Anyway, almost all the animosity I got for liking Rush came from The Clash fans. Not just someone who liked the Clash, like me, but those guys who walked around in torn jean jackets and white Hanes t-shirts thinking they were Joe Strummer. They were the guys that were angrier than The Jam crowd but not quite as angry as The Who crowd. But that whole slightly anti-social frat boy hipster continuum that ran from The Jam through The Clash to The Who were all pretty antagonistic when it came to Rush. The New Wave boys and girls were pretty oblivious. The Zeppelin, metal and Van Halen crowd were ok with them. That's how I remember it. I do pity my boys for having to go through high school someday.

• Like 1