unpopular opinions?

beherit

my taste is the best! I don't write off entire genres, I try not to make silly generalizations about music I don't know much about, and I don't think floyd are a "ripoff" and I don't think toto and nightwish (nightwish is dream theater for teenage girls, by the way) are better than led zeppelin. this thread makes me feel so good about myself! :D

Dream Theater for teenage girls? That does not sound good, at all.

They are nothing like Dream Theater. And their music is very much inspired by art, fantasy and Victorian era poetry.

I've never heard a note of them but that sounds very intriguing to me, at the least.

Me and you are teenage girls.

This must be the only reason!

• Like 1

] Edited by Segue Myles

Nightwish are good......but to me I wouldn't even put then in the same Legue as DT. Sure DT have plenty of material that annoy me. but their highs are WAY higher. and nightwish has a whole era i can't stand. the original lead singer......geez lady tone it down, lol

Mick

At least she can still sing.

*cough* Tom Waits *cough*

Dream Theater don't come close to Nightwish. For one thing, as much as I like them nothing sounds to my ears very special. Brilliant, but rather ordinary.

Prior to Angels Fall First find me another album that successfully blends metal with classical singing, folk, and fantasy flourishes, with beautifully poetic lyrics written in a language secondary to the lyricist, and sung with panache and creativity by a woman who a) barely speaks the language and b) is a trained opera singer at a prestigious school with absolutely no background in rock or metal, or even a passing interest in the genre. And with themes that are not only deeply personal, but also completely ignorant of current trends in metal, pop or any form of mainstream music, but still so well executed millions of fans from every continent find something to connect with (even if at first it is mainly because the listener shares a love of both metal and Disney).

Prior to Images And Words, find me another album that blends heavy metal with prog, pop and...O wait King's X invented and perfected DT's signature sound and Metallica rocked harder and more inventively, and Rush blended hard rock, metal, and prog perfectly with better sounding high pitched vocals.

Tarja is a better singer than Labrie, and it may have taken her three albums to feel confident and comfortable singing operan with metal, but then again she also kickstarted an entire subgenre.

DT are absolutely run of the mill compared to the creativity and originality of Nightwish.

How many bands today sound like Nightwish because they were influenced directly by Nightwish? How many sound like Nightwish because they have the exact same influences and accidentally sound the same without any prior knowledge? When NW started, his many bands shared the very same, or similar styles? The Gathering? Within Temptation? Lacuna Coil? Women don't make a genre. None in the media at the time came close.

How many bands sound like Dream Theater because they were directly influenced by DT, compared to how many bands sound like DT because they were directly inspired by the same influences, thereby ripping off the same sounds but doing the same thing without half the talent but about the same amount of originality? (Hint: check out lots of Roadrunner Records releases over the last fifteen years).

As always Mick, love ya buddy!

As ever......i will say I know waits can't Sing, lol. but his songwriting blows everybody away. He said with extreme Bias, lol.

Mick

• Like 1

Nightwish are good......but to me I wouldn't even put then in the same Legue as DT. Sure DT have plenty of material that annoy me. but their highs are WAY higher. and nightwish has a whole era i can't stand. the original lead singer......geez lady tone it down, lol

Mick

At least she can still sing.

*cough* Tom Waits *cough*

Dream Theater don't come close to Nightwish. For one thing, as much as I like them nothing sounds to my ears very special. Brilliant, but rather ordinary.

Prior to Angels Fall First find me another album that successfully blends metal with classical singing, folk, and fantasy flourishes, with beautifully poetic lyrics written in a language secondary to the lyricist, and sung with panache and creativity by a woman who a) barely speaks the language and b) is a trained opera singer at a prestigious school with absolutely no background in rock or metal, or even a passing interest in the genre. And with themes that are not only deeply personal, but also completely ignorant of current trends in metal, pop or any form of mainstream music, but still so well executed millions of fans from every continent find something to connect with (even if at first it is mainly because the listener shares a love of both metal and Disney).

Prior to Images And Words, find me another album that blends heavy metal with prog, pop and...O wait King's X invented and perfected DT's signature sound and Metallica rocked harder and more inventively, and Rush blended hard rock, metal, and prog perfectly with better sounding high pitched vocals.

Tarja is a better singer than Labrie, and it may have taken her three albums to feel confident and comfortable singing operan with metal, but then again she also kickstarted an entire subgenre.

DT are absolutely run of the mill compared to the creativity and originality of Nightwish.

How many bands today sound like Nightwish because they were influenced directly by Nightwish? How many sound like Nightwish because they have the exact same influences and accidentally sound the same without any prior knowledge? When NW started, his many bands shared the very same, or similar styles? The Gathering? Within Temptation? Lacuna Coil? Women don't make a genre. None in the media at the time came close.

How many bands sound like Dream Theater because they were directly influenced by DT, compared to how many bands sound like DT because they were directly inspired by the same influences, thereby ripping off the same sounds but doing the same thing without half the talent but about the same amount of originality? (Hint: check out lots of Roadrunner Records releases over the last fifteen years).

As always Mick, love ya buddy!

As ever......i will say I know waits can't Sing, lol. but his songwriting blows everybody away. He said with extreme Bias, lol.

Mick

You know I am only teasing...my initial reaction to Waits died out months ago (his work is getting better to my ears...I think it won't be long before my first album purchases).

• Like 1

Here's one.

Jim Morrison was......by far and away......the worst thing about the doors. Terrible Vocalist and Lyricist. and just an unpleasant man all around. His "Poetry" induces eye rolling.

Also the Doors without him Were worse.

so.......really putting Jimbo aside.....the Doors are Overrated.

Mick

• Like 1

Here's one.

Jim Morrison was......by far and away......the worst thing about the doors. Terrible Vocalist and Lyricist. and just an unpleasant man all around. His "Poetry" induces eye rolling.

Mick

If you don't like a singer... It definitley taints the entire view of a band.

• Like 1

my taste is the best! I don't write off entire genres, I try not to make silly generalizations about music I don't know much about, and I don't think floyd are a "ripoff" and I don't think toto and nightwish (nightwish is dream theater for teenage girls, by the way) are better than led zeppelin. this thread makes me feel so good about myself! :D

Dream Theater for teenage girls? That does not sound good, at all.

They are nothing like Dream Theater. And their music is very much inspired by art, fantasy and Victorian era poetry.

I've never heard a note of them but that sounds very intriguing to me, at the least.

Me and you are teenage girls.

This must be the only reason!

:laughing guy:

:ph34r:

• Like 1

Here's one.

Mick

On my personal overrated Rock Stars list, Jim Morrison is in the top three.

I like the Doors musically. There's a lot of interesting stuff going on, and I will concede that Jim Morrison's vocals fit the music, but the man is an intellectual and artistic fraud. IMHO

With a lot of popular music, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Synergy, in full.

• Like 2

I love The Doors, but I will never defend Jim Morrison. He died because of his vices and his vices made him a terrible person.
  • Like 1

The Eagles aren't THAT Bad. the 2 heads of the band are TERRIBLE people.....Frey especially. but they wrote some great tunes.

Desperado the album is a masterful work and i mean that.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

Segue and Mick have great taste in music.

This thread is about unpopular opinions, right, not unpopular opinions that we hold?

If not, never mind. :)

• Like 4

The Eagles aren't THAT Bad. the 2 heads of the band are TERRIBLE people.....Frey especially. but they wrote some great tunes.

Desperado the album is a masterful work and i mean that.

Mick

I was never aware they were frowned upon until I came here.

I thought I was alone in not liking them! But! I love a good Eagles best of...

I prefer Bon Jovi to most bands that have ever existed.

This is in spite of acknowledging they offer absolutely nothing original or particularly special. But I friggin love them! The debut through to These Days is an excellent run of pop albums (not comfortable calling this band pure rock haha, I see them as pop with great guitars!).

Edited by Segue Myles

"I hate the f***in' Eagles man." - The Dude

The worst. Ever sucky, syrupy, cod-country, beige, mild puke second.

f**k them.

I need to put on a Flying Burritos album and try and wash them from my mind.

f***ers.

Edited by Hatchetaxe&saw