Foo Fighter nods?

Riv

I apologize if this has been posted...but I noticed that a drum fill in The Anarchist was very similar to the drum break in "Rope" by the FF. Then, when I listened to Rope, in the chorus Hawkins is playing the very same ride pattern that Neil plays in Spirit of Radio...and in many, many other songs.

So did Taylor say "screw it, no one has the balls to do Neil's signature ride pattern so I am," and as a joke Neil steals a fill from that very song? I know they respect each other, and I may be reaching, but it is interesting, to say the least.

Some of the guitar work seems similar in the album to FF, as well.

Love the new album.

Who knows. It could be coincidence, or its very possible Nick pushed him to do it if he felt it was right in that spot. I dont have a problem with it.

The album sounds like a FF album obviously since Nick produced it, so its not impossible there's some FF influences there since it seems the band did give Nick some creative input

Well, if they're there, they are subtle enough so that I haven't noticed. DH is a huge Foo fan, and I myself loathe the band's music (understand - I do respect that they are quite talented - I just don't like 'em).

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 15 2012, 07:31 PM)
Who knows. It could be coincidence, or its very possible Nick pushed him to do it if he felt it was right in that spot. I dont have a problem with it.

The album sounds like a FF album obviously since Nick produced it, so its not impossible there's some FF influences there since it seems the band did give Nick some creative input

Why do people keep saying this? the last Foo Fighters album Nick produced was In Your Honor back in 2005... seven years ago. also, if you listen the other Foo Fighters album Nick produced, One By One (2002) , you'll hear that they sound quite different.

yes its possible that Nick used some similar tactics between every band he's produced, but to single one band out of a couple dozens is ridiculous. Does Stone Sour sound like Foo Fighters? Does Deftones sound like Foo Fighters? What about Danzig? confused13.gif

I've heard others say they hear a Foo Fighters influence on CA. If true, it's a case of Rush influencing the Foo Fighters influencing Rush, because I know the guys from the Foo are Rush fans.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 16 2012, 10:53 AM)
I've heard others say they hear a Foo Fighters influence on CA. If true, it's a case of Rush influencing the Foo Fighters influencing Rush, because I know the guys from the Foo are Rush fans.

I think it's a lot of speculation myself, due in large part to Nick's work with both bands. However, some people forget that Butch Vig and NOT Nick R. produced Foo's album with Rope.

Anyhow, I doubt Rush is returning the compliment. I hear some Rush in Rope, but I hear almost ZERO Foo in the new Rush album...except for maybe the opening chords in The Wreckers. It's the TYPE of melody the Foos would do....but hardly sounds like anything Foo-specific.

As soon as i heard The Wreckers i thought of FF, not suprising it's one of my least fav on CA

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 16 2012, 10:57 AM)
As soon as i heard The Wreckers i thought of FF, not suprising it's one of my least fav on CA

As soon as you get past the opening chords it sounds exactly like a Rush song though. To me The Wreckers largely reminds me of Mission. Not exactly, mind you, but that kind of prevailing melody. The intro's the only thing that sounds different for them...and even that almost has a Feedback/60s/Byrds kind of feel to it.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 16 2012, 11:01 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 16 2012, 10:57 AM)

As soon as you get past the opening chords it sounds exactly like a Rush song though. To me The Wreckers largely reminds me of Mission. Not exactly, mind you, but that kind of prevailing melody. The intro's the only thing that sounds different for them...and even that almost has a Feedback/60s/Byrds kind of feel to it.

"The breakers roar... on an unknown shore" sounds almost identical to "The Angel's share... secrets of the universe" from Geddy's MFH album.

I definitely get a Foo Fighters vibe from Headlong Flight, but it's more to do with the fact that the last Foo Fighters album had a strong Rush feel and Rush is still sounding like Rush. Like the staccato guitar & drumwork under the "Some days were dark, I wish that I could live them all again" is very Foo Fighters...esque?

Also the opening riff to HF is really similar to the opening riff of another song off the last Foo Fighters album but I can't remember which one. It probably doesn't help that I just heard the new Foo Fighters for the first time last week!