Help me out here...The Anarchist

The Mighty Dudad

I've now had the pleasure of listening to the complete CD a few times. Each listen has been the complete disc, not just cherry picking songs or playing the first half now and the second half later. While I have no doubt that I will eventually start doing that (66 minutes is a pretty healthy chunk of time to devote), for now I want to experience the album (and concept) as a whole.

Setting aside BU2B2 for the moment, which I view as an interesting transition/experiment more than a song, the only song I'm really having trouble seriously getting into is The Anarchist.

In looking at the "Song Rank" threads, this track seems to be pretty consistently in the top 3-4 of people's early favorites...so what am I missing? What are the elements you're hearing that make many of you rank it so high?

I'll certainly keep at it, as I want to dig this song as much as I do the rest of CA, but it's curious to me.

Ahh, next week this could be my favorite song and I may be having trouble with The Wreckers...tis the nature of a Rush album.

It's the guitar riff. The second one, at 0:56. There's something about that which is very much a throwback, and a nice hook to boot. Almost sounds like it could have been lifted from an Exit Stage Left solo.

That's the one bit on the record that's being stuck in my head today. I already made a ringtone out of it.

QUOTE (analog guy @ Jun 13 2012, 01:22 PM)
It's the guitar riff. The second one, at 0:56. There's something about that which is very much a throwback, and a nice hook to boot. Almost sounds like it could have been lifted from an Exit Stage Left solo.

That's the one bit on the record that's being stuck in my head today. I already made a ringtone out of it.

Thanks. That riff has a bit of a "Nocturne" feel to me.

QUOTE (The Mighty Dudad @ Jun 13 2012, 01:23 PM)
oops...never mind...just saw the whole big long "The Anarchist" thread and will look there for inspiration.

oops.gif

goodpost.gif

and bump that thread while you're there. bumper.gif Threads can get pushed to the 2nd page in a matter of hours these days.

biggrin.gif

For me, it's mostly the bass part... but the thing is, all three of the guys are rocking on "The Anarchist"!

Listen to the music surrounding the cool and oft-repeated lyric "A missing part of me that grows around me like a cage."

It really says something that the song is such a crowd-pleaser, making just about everyone's "top five" from the album.

I enjoy this song for the musical reasons others have listed. But I also like the lyrical content. It's an interesting, first person look into the mind of this anti-social character.

Thanks for the feedback!

Between this and the other Anarchist thread, there's lots for me to consider the next time I listen.

I'll be sure to let y'all know when it all clicks for me!

(...because you'll no doubt all be sitting on the edge of your seat waiting for that to happen...) schla03.gif

QUOTE (The Mighty Dudad @ Jun 13 2012, 03:51 PM)
Thanks for the feedback!

Between this and the other Anarchist thread, there's lots for me to consider the next time I listen.

(...because you'll no doubt all be sitting on the edge of your seat waiting for that to happen...) schla03.gif

I already am waiting on the edge of my seat! Could you hurry, please!

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Merely Space @ Jun 13 2012, 03:55 PM)
QUOTE (The Mighty Dudad @ Jun 13 2012, 03:51 PM)
Thanks for the feedback!

I already am waiting on the edge of my seat! Could you hurry, please!

trink39.gif

trink39.gif

It's the intro guitar riff, the drum an bass chops, the lyrics....

The eastern flavour in the solo....and especially the signature riff which sounds just like that instrumental break in Beneath Between and Behind....

Quintessential Rush really.....

One aspect that I think is sort of coolly contradictory: much of the music doesn't really "match" the lyrics. By that I mean the music's pretty upbeat, cheerful, even. It's a neat contrast to the subject matter.

Oh, and it's just a f*ckin' great song, as well.

QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 13 2012, 04:23 PM)
One aspect that I think is sort of coolly contradictory: much of the music doesn't really "match" the lyrics. By that I mean the music's pretty upbeat, cheerful, even. It's a neat contrast to the subject matter.

Oh, and it's just a f*ckin' great song, as well.

I didn't think about that before but you're right about the mood of the music not matching the lyrics. Maybe that's one of the things that makes the song so awesome.

QUOTE (analog guy @ Jun 13 2012, 11:22 AM)

this exactly, with the taurus pedals underneath is a definitely throwback.

At first, I didn't get the song either. It just completely passed me by and I didn't think there was anything remarkable about it at all. But after a couple more listens, I suddenly couldn't get it out of my head. It just has a great melody and I've been singing along with it, especially the chorus, more than any other song in recent memory. Of course that's in addition to all the other awesome elements of it.

This this this. smile.gif

The first time I heard that part I was all like "oh hello there 1981!"

And the song as a whole is just awesome. Packed full of cool riffs and energy.

It's just a taste thing. Seen loads of comments on here about how good Counterparts is. Can't stand the bloody record. Crap songs apart from 3 or 4. No matter how hard I try I have never been able to connect with it as a body of work.

You might click with track in time, if so great. If not, why worry. It's just a song-no one HAS to like it.

QUOTE (Sin City @ Jun 13 2012, 05:19 PM)
It's just a taste thing. Seen loads of comments on here about how good Counterparts is. Can't stand the bloody record. Crap songs apart from 3 or 4. No matter how hard I try I have never been able to connect with it as a body of work.
You might click with track in time, if so great. If not, why worry. It's just a song-no one HAS to like it.

Not true. You have to like Counterparts tongue.gif

QUOTE (Bangster of Goats @ Jun 13 2012, 05:19 PM)

This this this. smile.gif

The first time I heard that part I was all like "oh hello there 1981!"

And the song as a whole is just awesome. Packed full of cool riffs and energy.

It's a great song. yes.gif For some reason, it really evokes old school Rush for me, kind of a weird hybrid of GUP and VT. The "middle-eastern" section is just ohmy.gif , much cooler than a similar attempt on We Hold On. 1022.gif