Help me out here...The Anarchist

The Mighty Dudad

QUOTE (Sin City @ Jun 13 2012, 04:19 PM)
It's just a taste thing. Seen loads of comments on here about how good Counterparts is. Can't stand the bloody record. Crap songs apart from 3 or 4. No matter how hard I try I have never been able to connect with it as a body of work.
You might click with track in time, if so great. If not, why worry. It's just a song-no one HAS to like it.

I've never been a big Counterparts fan either.

I do like the sound of that record, though. pokey.gif

QUOTE (Bangster of Goats @ Jun 13 2012, 10:19 PM)
The first time I heard that part I was all like "oh hello there 1981!"

1981? Pish and piffle, I say! As soon as I heard this one I was thinking the opening riffs sounded like the bastard son of 'Beneath, Between and Behind'...

Loving the album. I'm more into this one than any new Rush studio album since...since...er, I'll get back to you on that one.

Edited by Svartmetall

This song was a "sleeper" for me--it didn't grab me right away like the title track or "The Garden" but has pulled me in (deeply!) over time.

What I like most are the dark lyrics and the expression of a POV that is basically an inversion of the protagonist's.

(And count me in as a lover of CP--best Rush album of the 90s.)

Edited by mstmompj

I absolutely LOVE the chorus and all the instrumental sections in general.

Still not sold on that distorted/buried vocal part before the chorus..or ANY of that vocal effect that appears throughout on CA. Aside from that, this song definatley ranks high for me!!

It's the one that I keep going back to the most.

QUOTE (The Mighty Dudad @ Jun 13 2012, 03:51 PM)
Thanks for the feedback!

Between this and the other Anarchist thread, there's lots for me to consider the next time I listen.

I'll be sure to let y'all know when it all clicks for me!

(...because you'll no doubt all be sitting on the edge of your seat waiting for that to happen...) schla03.gif

...and just like that, it CLICKED! 653.gif

I think I was just trying to hard to "get it", because once i just let it wash over me, it all snapped into place. It's a great feeling (kind of like when you finally manage to get that dang sesame seed out from between your teeth...you know the one).

Music, lyrics, "feel", tone, placement, etc., it all works for me now.

Ok, y'all can go back to doing what you were doing, I'm better now.

QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 13 2012, 04:23 PM)
One aspect that I think is sort of coolly contradictory: much of the music doesn't really "match" the lyrics.  By that I mean the music's pretty upbeat, cheerful, even.  It's a neat contrast to the subject matter.

That's one of the big reasons this song stands out to me, as well. The same principle also applies to The Enemy Within, which is perhaps my favorite Rush song for that very reason. I'm sure that kind of contrast was a conscious effort by the band while they were arranging this song.

What are you missing?

Well, if you don't like it, then perhaps you're missing a Rush song which not only ROCKS, but also has a catchy chorus with a good vocal melody - two important things that songs on the past few Rush albums haven't had.

The things I've always been denied -

An early promise that somehow died -

A missing part of me that grows around me like a cage.

1022.gif

QUOTE (Bangster of Goats @ Jun 13 2012, 03:19 PM)
QUOTE (analog guy @ Jun 13 2012, 01:22 PM)
It's the guitar riff. The second one, at 0:56. There's something about that which is very much a throwback, and a nice hook to boot. Almost sounds like it could have been lifted from an Exit Stage Left solo.

That's the one bit on the record that's being stuck in my head today. I already made a ringtone out of it.

This this this. smile.gif

The first time I heard that part I was all like "oh hello there 1981!"

And the song as a whole is just awesome. Packed full of cool riffs and energy.

Ah yes, that early 80's vibe..............

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=75426